Jackie Bradley Junior Overrated

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Jackie Bradley Junior Overrated

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to Sobchack's comment:

Right now, at 3-5 and hopefully avoiding 3-6 going up against the NYY, JBJ is one of the few bright spots.  

He DID figure very big in win #3.

Bradley's defense has never been in question. The issue has been: can he hit? In watching him over the first few games of the year I noticed that the opposing pitchers are not exploiting the hole in JBJ's swing, which is on the inside part of the plate. At least thats the way it seems to me. I wonder if word has gotten out that he has fixed that problem, or if the opposing pitchers aren't getting good scouting reports, or if I am just mistaken in my observations. Anyone else notice that?

I doubt that it is poor scouting reports, as clearly they got the good reports last year and Jackie was completely overmatched.

I haven't watched every PA, but the ones I saw did not show that the pitchers were pitching him inside.

In the last couple games that he has been knocking the ball he has laced a few inside out opposite field singles, so he is definitely getting pitched inside to some degree.  I havent been pitch tracking enough to tell where he has been getting most targeted.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Clearly JBJ cannot remain on the 25 man roster and not play 5 out of 7 games minimum. He should be sent to AAA, if he is projected to play 4 of 7 or less, but in reality, the best choice, to me, would be to trade Gomes or Nava. I doubt Carp would bring much in return, and he is our best back-up for Napoli at 1B. Carp can also play some more LF, if we trade Nava or Gomes.

Let's assume we trade Nava- the better choice in terms of lefty-righty platooning, we could go with this:

vs RHPs        vs LHPs

LF:   JBJ/Carp        Gomes/JBJ

CF:   Grady/JBJ      Grady/JBJ

RF:   Vic/JBJ           Vic

Let's assume we trade Gomes (my top choice):

vs RHPs    vs LHPs

LF:   Nava            JBJ (Carp)

CF:  Grady/JBJ   Grady

RF:  Vic/JBJ        Vic

(This OF may not hit very well vs lefties.)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to antibody's comment:

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

It's pretty simple, if JBJ keeps playing the way he has for the last couple of games, he'll force the Red Sox' hand.

I don't think they'll keep him up, just sit on the bench.

If he's hitting .300 by the end of Victorino's time on the DL and continues to tear up AAA, they'll have no choice but to make room for him.

If he goes back to AAA it won't be for long. I think the fact that JBJ is close to Major League ready is one reason (not just the $) that Ellsbury was allowed to walk.

No, it was all about the $.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:

It's pretty simple, if JBJ keeps playing the way he has for the last couple of games, he'll force the Red Sox' hand.

If he's hitting .300 by the end of Victorino's time on the DL and continues to tear up AAA, they'll have no choice but to make room for him.

If he goes back to AAA it won't be for long. I think the fact that JBJ is close to Major League ready is one reason (not just the $) that Ellsbury was allowed to walk.

It's actually all about the "value."  If it was a Mike Trout who was the free agent who wanted $150 million, the Sox wouldn't blink.  The Sox put a "value" on Ellsbury, and my guess is that it wasn't close to what the Yankees gave him.  Jackie Bradley Jr.'s development was absolutely factored into the number they came up with when assessing Ellsbury's "worth" to them.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

JBJ ended up having a nice summer in triple A.  He ended up replacing Jacoby and doing a nice job. 

It would have been too bad if he had gone to triple a this year and we missed all that he has done.

JF said today in a weei interview that JBJ is his best defensive center at the moment.  He said nothing of JBJ's team leading .400 batting average.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

It's actually all about the "value."  If it was a Mike Trout who was the free agent who wanted $150 million, the Sox wouldn't blink.  The Sox put a "value" on Ellsbury, and my guess is that it wasn't close to what the Yankees gave him.  Jackie Bradley Jr.'s development was absolutely factored into the number they came up with when assessing Ellsbury's "worth" to them.

I think the Sox went to 6/120 w/ Ellsbury and are doing the same thing w/ Lester and Lester isn't going to bite either.  To do 7/150 would be exactly the type of thing we need to avoid.  Let the yankees and da cash man spend recklessly.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

I think the Sox went to 6/120 w/ Ellsbury and are doing the same thing w/ Lester and Lester isn't going to bite either.  To do 7/150 would be exactly the type of thing we need to avoid.  Let the yankees and da cash man spend recklessly.

Not saying the Sox should go 7/150 on Lester, but Ellsbury is very different commodity than Lester, and the market for position players very different from the market for premium starting pitching.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

Not saying the Sox should go 7/150 on Lester, but Ellsbury is very different commodity than Lester, and the market for position players very different from the market for premium starting pitching.

7/153 on Ellsbury was just reckless

clear case of being forced to overspend due to an organization being completely inept at running a farm system

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

clear case of being forced to overspend due to an organization being completely inept at running a farm system

[/QUOTE]

yeah, agreed.  But that kind of money on Lester, while certainly worth deep deep analysis and soul-searching, would not be reckless.  Not saying they should jump at that and shouldn;t play a little hard-ball.  But given what guys like Kershaw, Tanaka, et all have gotten in recent years, that is probably market-rate for a guy with Lester's track record and profile.  The Ellsbury deal was based on an outlier year of performance.  That is nuts.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

yeah, agreed.  But that kind of money on Lester, while certainly worth deep deep analysis and soul-searching, would not be reckless.  Not saying they should jump at that and shouldn;t play a little hard-ball.  But given what guys like Kershaw, Tanaka, et all have gotten in recent years, that is probably market-rate for a guy with Lester's track record and profile.  The Ellsbury deal was based on an outlier year of performance.  That is nuts.

6/120 is my offer for Lester and maybe a performance driven option year to get it done

but if he wants 7/175 then he really doesn't want to try and stay here so let him fly

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

Please disconnect jbj mind from Ells, sit Nava and I have said before just let him play!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

does anyone in baseball annoy pitchers like JBJ does?  When he does annoy them like tonight, you have to get a hit like AJ just did.  I am glad he hit for gomes.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

He's hitting .400 with an OBP approaching .500 yup he's awful, he's done. I've seen enough.

He had a bad April 2013 and you know what that means in Boston- dump him.

This has to be a top 10 dumbest thread of the year.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Wolfpack13's comment:

He's hitting .400 with an OBP approaching .500 yup he's awful, he's done. I've seen enough.

one of the dumbest threads of the year....so far.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Wow! I don't care who you are but having a 3 walk game is impressive! Go Jackie go! !! 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

In response to Wolfpack13's comment:

one of the dumbest threads of the year....so far.

That says a lot because there have been quite a few dumb threads already and we're not even halfway through April.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

JBJ is "just right" rated.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

Bradley looks like he may finally be making the adjustment to major league pitching. The way he is looking at the plate right now he may end up in the lead off spot in the near future. He' s getting hits and drawing walks, has good spee ano steal bases. Thankfully JF finally showed a glimpse of being a competent manager today as he stated that once Victorino is back, he would give an outfield of Shane, Grady and Jackie a shot because of how good defensively they can be. Really hoping shane gets back soon, nava is completely lost at the plate and in the field and Gomes is striking out more than he is getting hits. (and is a defensive liability to say the least )

• You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

Bradley looks like he may finally be making the adjustment to major league pitching. The way he is looking at the plate right now he may end up in the lead off spot in the near future. He' s getting hits and drawing walks, has good spee ano steal bases. Thankfully JF finally showed a glimpse of being a competent manager today as he stated that once Victorino is back, he would give an outfield of Shane, Grady and Jackie a shot because of how good defensively they can be. Really hoping shane gets back soon, nava is completely lost at the plate and in the field and Gomes is striking out more than he is getting hits. (and is a defensive liability to say the least )

He only has about 120 ML plate appearances. It's not like this is his third full year in MLB.

I'm not giving up on Nava (vs RHPs) and Gomes (vs LHPs), but who can argue with a healthy & well performing JBJ-Grady-Vic OF?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

So leading the team to World Series Championship after finishing last was a fluke then?  

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

He only has about 120 ML plate appearances. It's not like this is his third full year in MLB.

I'm not giving up on Nava (vs RHPs) and Gomes (vs LHPs), but who can argue with a healthy & well performing JBJ-Grady-Vic OF?

But I would argue against relying on that outfield staying healthy.  

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

In response to Javi60's comment:

Please disconnect jbj mind from Ells, sit Nava and I have said before just let him play!

This is exactly what's on my mind.  Nava is doing himself no favors right now and looks downright lost.  JBJ is showing more patience, and maybe the bottom of the order is taking the pressure off him.  

Keep him out there and then, as moonslav pointed out above - those look like the best OF splits/rotations for the rest of the season.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I think at this point I am ready to give up on nava as a starter. He is not good defensively especially in RF and has only had one good year as a platoon player. Nava is an ok back up but should not be a starter. Same with gomes, hes a good righty bat off the bench with pop, but is a terrible fielder. Those two in the right roles are ok players, but niether should start and most defintely not hit leadoff. We also have Carp who is basically the lefty version gomes. We need to get rid of one of those 3 and its likely carp. As much as I am not a huge fan of nava, he offers more versatility than carp. Especially once victorino is back, then sizemore will likely play LF and bradley CF as JF stated that bradley is the best defensive CF on the team. 

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

So leading the team to World Series Championship after finishing last was a fluke then?  

Say he "lead" the team to the world series championship is very misleading its the players not the manager that ultimately brought home the trophy. Just look at the decisions JF has made so far this season:

1) Hitting nava and gomes leadoff - Could he have picked two worse guys to fill the leadoff spot? Slow, inconsistent hitters who have no experience at the leadoff spot and quite frankly are not ML quality starters. They are both bench players, nothing more. Theres a reason why gomes has been on so many teams and nava is almost 30 and has only been in the majors for 3 years. What it worse was that even with nava in a 2 for 22 slump (its gotten worse since then) he still left him at the leadoff spot despite the fact that he clearly needed to be moved down in the order.

2) Hitting Middlebrooks 8th - How is he supposed to succeed hitting so lower in the order with with guys like AJ and nava hitting in front of him and JBJ behind him? Also, it shows little confidence in him by hitting so low in the order, not the best way to help a good young player coming off a tough year who is looking to rebound.

3) Not pinch hitting AJ late in the game multiple times when he was facing tough lefties in big spot - Johnny Gomes is literally on this team for his ability to hit right handed pitching, farrell was presented with at least 2 opportunities where Aj was up late in the game (both close games) with runners in scoring position against a tough lefty reliever. Tailor made situation to pinch hit gomes. What does farrell do? Leave AJ in and one time AJ hit into a DP the other he struck out. Thats the definition of incompetence. 

4) Leaving pitchers in too long - Part of being a competent manager is knowing when to take a pitcher out the game when he clearly does not have it that day. Buchholz and doubront both were left in too long and were finally taken out when both games were already out of hand. Buchholz’s start was worse as the game was still in handed for awhile but farrell continued to send him out until he allowed 6 runs on 13 hits. (in 5 innings I believe) Doubronts start was made even worse by the fact that he not only left felix in till he completely imploded, he did the same with badenhop right after. The 2 pitchers combined to allow 9 runs in 5 innings (could have been 5 1/3 or 2/3’s) 

And yes there was a lot of luck last year and a lot of things that went right that helped the team win the ws last year. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

As Sox fans we need to see more of Henry Owens and it's just a matter of time before he's at  AAA. He may be the guy that allows the Sox to stand pat at 5  years and $120 M for Lester.

Last night at Trenton Owens threw 6.2 inn., 0ER , 0 BB and 9 K's. In 14 Innings-0.00 ERA.

JBJ just needs to play. If this series against Texas is the slightest indication of what he's cabable of offensively and defensively--he's got a bright future. He didn't face Darvish and he won't face Tanaka in NY this weekend. He will face CC and next week in Chicago he may face Danks, Sale and/or  Quintana--these will be tough tests against some tough lefthanders.

I like the sound of Size in LF, JBJ in CF and Vic in RF at some point.

BenC made a nice pickup this week in Roberts--he could be the RH bat that allows the Sox to move Gomes or Nava or both--either before or after WMB comes off the DL. Roberts has some pop and can play corner OF's plus infield.

• Sections
    Shortcuts