Jackie Bradley Will Make The Opening Day Roster

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Re: Jackie Bradley Will Make The Opening Day Roster

In response to georom4's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to carnie's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

2) that Larry Lucchino himself has said that the Sox have been too conservative in sending up younger players...case in point -

Provide link.

That was actually in an interview he did with WEEI during the season last year. It's probably in their archives but I would have no idea how to find it.

I thought he worded it a bit differently.

thats exactly the words and i provided the link a month ago

LOL

It's been shown more than once that LL is wrong.

Shocking, I know.

But, hard to believe as it may seem, the guy who hand picked Bobby Valentine is occasionally wrong.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

All of you forum experts were drilling me about JBJ making the team, etc. Well guess what boys? After today's game, his fate has been sealed. He will be the starting LF (or CF depending on Ellsbury's injury). 

Keep calling me a Yankee fan (wrong again), but I called this one two weeks ago.

I woul have rather seen JBJ sent down ,,Why ? Because the sox will lose control one year earlier if he makes the team. That means with Boras as his agent we will only  be seeing JBJ till 2017 then we lose him to highest bidder... Rather have him lock in extra year to get the most years we can.  Nice to get to know you JBJ.... Maybe pinstrips..... Dam ! Boras..... 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:

All of you forum experts were drilling me about JBJ making the team, etc. Well guess what boys? After today's game, his fate has been sealed. He will be the starting LF (or CF depending on Ellsbury's injury). 

Keep calling me a Yankee fan (wrong again), but I called this one two weeks ago.

I woul have rather seen JBJ sent down ,,Why ? Because the sox will lose control one year earlier if he makes the team. That means with Boras as his agent we will only  be seeing JBJ till 2017 then we lose him to highest bidder... Rather have him lock in extra year to get the most years we can.  Nice to get to know you JBJ.... Maybe pinstrips..... Dam ! Boras..... 

He hasnt made the team yet. They could still send him down until the home series against the rays, which would be the smart move.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Hes certainly making a good case for himself to make the team out of ST. I said it wouldnt bother me either way what the decision was. And it doesnt. My opinion remains the same though. I still think giving up a year of JBJ for 11 days is foolish at best. True fans would still come see this team play, but I guess they have to keep the pink hats happy as well. If he comes up and does great, just realize that hes probably not going back down thus being a FA in 2018 instead of 2019. 

Although I understand theres a good chance JBJ will be directly involved in a win or maybe even 2, I also saw how quickly a lead can diminish when the pitching isnt up to par. Now, I realize Noe Ramirez is in A ball, but the point being that the pitching is going to lead us to victory more than 1 position player. If Daniel Nava started opening day (Hes got good numbers vs. CC) I would have no issue with that, and bringing JBJ up for the start of the Rays series at Fenway. Personally, I think thats the smart business move. But I understand if they dont.

The difference with me compared to guys like ADG and Softone is I can still have a different opinion than what the team decides to do, but dont have such an inflated ego that I have to create 10 posts a day telling everyone how wrong the team is and how right I am and acting as if the world is going to come to an end if JBJ doesnt break camp with the team and they end up being wrong.

Its a game guys, relax. try to enjoy it.

This is pretty much my thinking as well. I still think 11 days in Pawtucket is a worthwhile price to pay for a whole year of control, and that the team will be just fine in the meantime; it would be incredibly exciting to watch Bradley start on opening night, but it won't be any less exciting to see him in Boston a couple of weeks later. I don't plan on losing any sleep either way, though...a dynamic young player who's kicking down the door to Fenway Park is a great "problem" to have.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to 808soxfan's comment:

In response to mef429's comment:

Most are predicting that the AL East will be very tight. There are about 9-10 games during the opening of the season depending on the exact day that JBJ gets called up. Obviously, all are against division rivals. 

All I am saying is that if RS open the season 3-8 versus 8-3 because JBJ isn't there with his glove and high OBP, then it could make all the difference in a close race at the end of the season. Starting on a high note is great for this team, psychologically rather than starting in a hole. 

I think I would rather see JBJ sent down during parts of the season where the schedule is light (like every Astros game)! I don't know if the 20 games have to be consecutive. If they do not, then here is my schedule for JBJ:

Keep him up to begin the season when RS are playing division rivals.

Send him down April 16-29 (14 days total) when RS play Cleveland, KC, Oakland, and Houston at home.

Send him down Aug 2-7 (6 days) when the RS play Arizona and Houston again.

If we need him in the line-up for the Houston games, all is lost anyway! 

your assuming JBJ is going to have a WAR of 5 in 11 games??

also, when a player is optioned, they must spend 20 conescutive days in the minor leagues. So you can not send him down for 14 days, bring him up and then back down for 6. If we send him down on the 10th, he is not elligible to return to the bigs until the 30th etc.

I would rather have him up all the time and not go down at all. Still, there are better parts of the season to skip 20 days rather than the first 12, but I would rather that JBJ not go down at all.

RS are not a small market club. I want them to win this year. I am excited about this team. I think that they can win a lot of games. The pitching looks good, but setting the winning tone at the beginning of the season is going to be important for this team. JBJ stays IMO. 

I don't assume that he will have a WAR of 5 in 11 games, but he has much better odds of being a signficant part of a number of wins that otherwise would have been losses. What other outfielder do we have that has his current OBP? None. The problem is compounded with Papi out. If RS had a healthy Papi, I might feel differently about keeping JBJ out to start the season.

except you did assume JBJ would have a WAR of 5 when you said him being on the roster could be the difference between starting 8-3 and 3-8. that's a 5 game swing for 1 player on the roster. Our playoff chances rest solely on our starting rotation. 11 games of JBJ will not make or break this team. If the team is better with him on the roster then why don't you want him on the team for an extra year?? it's not mirroring a small market team either, it's being a baseball team. Every team does this. why? because it's the logical move. a small sacrifice for a huge gain. in the grand scheme of things 11-20 games of a rookie season is a small small price to play for 162 games in his prime. we're not losing him for 11 games, We're gaining his services for 151 games.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

It's actually 2018, but your point is valid. However if the Sox really want to keep him past then they will be able to. It's not like the Sox have never signed a Boras client before. JD Drew, Dice, Beltre and Stephen Drew are all Boras clients, not to mention Bradley Jr., Bogaerts and Ranaudo.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to UnionFallsNY's comment:

For ADG, Softlaw, and Geo - the forum isn't about rooting for the Sox or talking baseball but it about taking a contrarian stance and thinking that their ego is at stake for being correct. It is all about their ego and entertainment and nothing else. My guess is that they aren't even Red Sox fans. 

Union Falls - Sorry but you are wrong. I've been going to Red Sox games since 1971. I was at Yaz' last game in 1983, I was at the game when Pedro bashed Zimmer.

I'd rather bash the team when they deserve it rather than wear rose colored goggles like JimFromFlorida, Kimsaythis, etc.

Softy, Geo,  Bill and myself are realists.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Hes certainly making a good case for himself to make the team out of ST. I said it wouldnt bother me either way what the decision was. And it doesnt. My opinion remains the same though. I still think giving up a year of JBJ for 11 days is foolish at best. True fans would still come see this team play, but I guess they have to keep the pink hats happy as well. If he comes up and does great, just realize that hes probably not going back down thus being a FA in 2018 instead of 2019. 

Although I understand theres a good chance JBJ will be directly involved in a win or maybe even 2, I also saw how quickly a lead can diminish when the pitching isnt up to par. Now, I realize Noe Ramirez is in A ball, but the point being that the pitching is going to lead us to victory more than 1 position player. If Daniel Nava started opening day (Hes got good numbers vs. CC) I would have no issue with that, and bringing JBJ up for the start of the Rays series at Fenway. Personally, I think thats the smart business move. But I understand if they dont.

The difference with me compared to guys like ADG and Softone is I can still have a different opinion than what the team decides to do, but dont have such an inflated ego that I have to create 10 posts a day telling everyone how wrong the team is and how right I am and acting as if the world is going to come to an end if JBJ doesnt break camp with the team and they end up being wrong.

Its a game guys, relax. try to enjoy it.

This is pretty much my thinking as well. I still think 11 days in Pawtucket is a worthwhile price to pay for a whole year of control, and that the team will be just fine in the meantime; it would be incredibly exciting to watch Bradley start on opening night, but it won't be any less exciting to see him in Boston a couple of weeks later. I don't plan on losing any sleep either way, though...a dynamic young player who's kicking down the door to Fenway Park is a great "problem" to have.

I just dont understand all the hostility over this. 8 games for 162 should be a no-brainer.

And I certainly agree that I wont lose any sleep either way.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

But the Red Sox waste enough money on bad signings where the one year of control won't affect anything.  They also may sign him through his 7th year in year 4 or similar. Also, the zombie apocolypse could happen between now and then.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

It's actually 2018, but your point is valid. However if the Sox reallywant to keep him past then they will be able to. It's not like the Sox have never signed a Boras client before. JD Drew, Dice, Beltre and Stephen Drew are all Boras clients, not to mention Bradley Jr., Bogaerts and Ranaudo.

Agreed.  Start the season with Boston....then when Papi comes back send him down to start the whole 20 day thing.  It will be just a matter of time that he'll be called back up anyway.  It's not like Papi, Gomes and Ells are known for their incredible durableness....  or in the case of Gomes, he's a platoon player.  I would not be shocked if JBJ winds up with 130GP by the end of the season.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

But the Red Sox waste enough money on bad signings where the one year of control won't affect anything.  They also may sign him through his 7th year in year 4 or similar. Also, the zombie apocolypse could happen between now and then.

You know it's pathetic when a team goes out and signs Drew, Dumpster and Shane, and we have a poster on here talking about how this could "limit our ability to sign other players if Bradley has to be paid 10 or 20M more over a multi-year contract.

This is where it is, a narrative on the Red Sox 7 years from now! Bradley could be traded, and this "one year of control" isn't going to net gold from whoever wants him in a trade. It's 100% speculation what his arbitration cost or FA cost for this speculative year 7 years from now!

Without a doubt, between management shills and fantasy baseball goofballs, this Board is almost as out of touch and incompetent as Red Sox management.

Then just go away. I'm sure some other baseball discussion board is just pining for your insightful analysis. There's always talksox if you haven't been banned over there yet. And have I told you how cute your childish nicknames are?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

You know it's pathetic when a team goes out and signs Drew, Dumpster and Shane, and we have a poster on here talking about how this could "limit our ability to sign other players if Bradley has to be paid 10 or 20M more over a multi-year contract.

This is where it is, a narrative on the Red Sox 7 years from now! Bradley could be traded, and this "one year of control" isn't going to net gold from whoever wants him in a trade. It's 100% speculation what his arbitration cost or FA cost for this speculative year 7 years from now!

Without a doubt, between management shills and fantasy baseball goofballs, this Board is almost as out of touch and incompetent as Red Sox management.

Then just go away. I'm sure some other baseball discussion board is just pining for your insightful analysis. There's always talksox if you haven't been banned over there yet. And have I told you how cute your childish nicknames are?

They already make fun of him over there and dont feed into his game.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to UnionFallsNY's comment:

1. Count the beans. Save $20 mil. of future dollars. It's only eleven days and there will be a few off days and probably a rain out. So you are talking about eight games here.

You are correct he will be on the roster 12 days into the season. He will play all three OF positions,until one of the regulars gets injured or stinks the joint out!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

Most are predicting that the AL East will be very tight. There are about 9-10 games during the opening of the season depending on the exact day that JBJ gets called up. Obviously, all are against division rivals. 

All I am saying is that if RS open the season 3-8 versus 8-3 because JBJ isn't there with his glove and high OBP, then it could make all the difference in a close race at the end of the season. Starting on a high note is great for this team, psychologically rather than starting in a hole. 

I think I would rather see JBJ sent down during parts of the season where the schedule is light (like every Astros game)! I don't know if the 20 games have to be consecutive. If they do not, then here is my schedule for JBJ:

Keep him up to begin the season when RS are playing division rivals.

Send him down April 16-29 (14 days total) when RS play Cleveland, KC, Oakland, and Houston at home.

Send him down Aug 2-7 (6 days) when the RS play Arizona and Houston again.

If we need him in the line-up for the Houston games, all is lost anyway! 

your assuming JBJ is going to have a WAR of 5 in 11 games??

also, when a player is optioned, they must spend 20 conescutive days in the minor leagues. So you can not send him down for 14 days, bring him up and then back down for 6. If we send him down on the 10th, he is not elligible to return to the bigs until the 30th etc.

I would rather have him up all the time and not go down at all. Still, there are better parts of the season to skip 20 days rather than the first 12, but I would rather that JBJ not go down at all.

RS are not a small market club. I want them to win this year. I am excited about this team. I think that they can win a lot of games. The pitching looks good, but setting the winning tone at the beginning of the season is going to be important for this team. JBJ stays IMO. 

I don't assume that he will have a WAR of 5 in 11 games, but he has much better odds of being a signficant part of a number of wins that otherwise would have been losses. What other outfielder do we have that has his current OBP? None. The problem is compounded with Papi out. If RS had a healthy Papi, I might feel differently about keeping JBJ out to start the season.

except you did assume JBJ would have a WAR of 5 when you said him being on the roster could be the difference between starting 8-3 and 3-8. that's a 5 game swing for 1 player on the roster. Our playoff chances rest solely on our starting rotation. 11 games of JBJ will not make or break this team. If the team is better with him on the roster then why don't you want him on the team for an extra year?? it's not mirroring a small market team either, it's being a baseball team. Every team does this. why? because it's the logical move. a small sacrifice for a huge gain. in the grand scheme of things 11-20 games of a rookie season is a small small price to play for 162 games in his prime. we're not losing him for 11 games, We're gaining his services for 151 games.

As for the WAR difference, I will stand behind two factors: given ST results, JBJ will be on base more often than his replacement and he will cover more ground in the field than his replacement. Of course, this depends on where he is playing in the field. If he is playing LF, and his "replacement" is Gomes, then I do believe that there will be a significant WAR difference between these two players over 11 games to start the season. However, I do not believe that my statement of going 8-3 versus 3-8 means that all of the wins are due to one player. JBJ's fractional WAR per game will be better. I am saying that JBJ's fielding will be much better and he will get on base more often, thus allowing others to drive him in. His OBP has been better than the rest of the team. OBP does not translate directly to WAR, but he gives the other players around him in the batting order a better chance to have a higher WAR as well by getting better pitches to hit or the chance to drive in more runs had he not been playing.

We agree to disagree, I guess, especially on WHEN the games should be skipped. I would rather see JBJ start the season on Opening Day given that Papi isn't healthy and available. If the RS are out of it by August, why not send him down for 20 days then?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

July 29 to August 17: JBJ would miss the series with Seattle, Arizona, Houston, KC, Toronto (3 games), Yankees (first 2 games).

By then, send him down if the RS are out of contention.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I suppose Bradley could be the next Freddy Lynn, and he might make me become a believer that we have a chance this year, but 11 games vs 162 is still the right idea.  I can see starting him with the big club, but then I hear he has to go down for 20 days. Maybe when Papi comes back that could happen, but the 11 days sounds better to me.

I can understand the mania building for this guy. He is something special. He's so special, I want him here in Boston an extra year.

If he turns out to be a superstar , we can have him for the extra year , and for his productive career , if we want. How have we become a small market team , unable to deal with Boras ? 

Not at all!  I expect us to extend or re-sign him at a hefty cost. We will then not be able to spend on other positions due to our restricted budget- not small market, but restrictive none the less. Like it or not, we do not have an unlimited budget.

Yes, we can extend or re-sign him, but it might be a huge cost for that one year, and like it or not, this team is on a budget and always will be. It might be a top 2-5 budget in MLB for quite a while, but the fact is, the money we end up spending on JBJ for that year is money we can not spend on another position of two, or three.

11 Days for 162 during prime age. 

We're not even going to win it all this year, even if JBJ has a Fred Lynn rookie type year.

If he turns out to be just an above average player, or less ,  we simply move on. We have no idea what the future holds. 

And, then we also lost nothing for missing him for 11 days this April as well, right?

If he ends up being average or above average, then what did we miss by having him in AAA for 11 days?  Are you thinking he will have an awesome 11 days, then maybe just be average or above average the rest of the way, we make the playoffs by a close amount, so those 11 days were crucial, and then we go on to win a ring, all in thanks to those 11 days?

Six years from now , there will be a host of young players who we have not heard about at this time.

This is a lame point. 

Moonslav , life is short. You are thinking way too far into the future.  Why not go for it all right now ? 

11 games is not likely to help or hurt us enough for the "go for it all right now" portion of this decision. It's 11 games now vs 162 games in 7 years. I plan on being alive and a Sox fan in 2020.

It's that here and now attitude that got us Crawford, and Lackey and 6 years of losing.

11 games now vs 162 later is a no brainer.

If it was 162 now for 162 later, I'd still be hesitant, since my guess is that JBJ will be better in 7 years than in 2013. At least at 162 vs 162, I could see going with JBJ all season, but it's not even close. That extra 151 games has huge value. Much much more than 11 games in April on a team destined to finish out of the playoffs.

You whole argument is based on the thinking that he will leave as a free agent when eligible. 

Again, not at all. I probably will want to re-sign him after 2018 or 2019, whichever it turns out to be, if he is a good to great player. The point is that although we are not a small market team, we are still on a restricted budget, so the extra cost need to pay JBJ in 2020 will mean that money can not and will not be spent on someone else to fill an area of high need.

Even if he did , my "lame point " is that there will be others ready to take his place by then.  It is very difficult to argue with someone with your know-it-all attitude. 

I should have made this point clear. I'm not pretending to think we won't have someone in 7 years, but that even if we did, what difference would it make. We could just trade one or find a new position.

It is obvious to many of us that we should be putting our best team on the field from day one. You have obviously given up on the season, and are planning for the future. 

Actually, I believe my plan "for the future" also put a team on the field for 2013 that would have been BETTER, younger, and more exciting to watch. In fact, my team had JBJ as our starting CF'er (where he belongs) long before the ST hoopla took hold. I also had Tazawa (perhaps our best pitcher) stretched out to be our 5th starter. I also had the superior Iggy at SS, and wanted Linares and Brentz to get a legitinate shot at winning a job. I feel very confident my team woul win more than this one, even with JBJ in AAA for the first 11 days.

I would continue to debate this , but my back is killing me from " moving the goalposts."  I have to go get some ICY HOT. Meanwhile , keep working on your " projections " for 2019 and beyond.

I we will both be Sox fans in 2019 and 2020, an.d we will be arguing about how to fill 3 key roster openings on such a tight budget, due in part to JBJ's new contract.

I hope your back is better. Forget the ICY HOT, cure the source of the problem and try what softy uses: a Balsa Wood goalpost.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

2) that Larry Lucchino himself has said that the Sox have been too conservative in sending up younger players...case in point -

Provide link.

That was actually in an interview he did with WEEI during the season last year. It's probably in their archives but I would have no idea how to find it.

I thought he worded it a bit differently.

thats exactly the words and i provided the link a month ago

geo, my apologies. I missed your earlier link posting. Thanks for the schooling.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's precisely because of the continued dumb signings like Drew, SV and Dempster that we need to keep a guy like JBJ around and extra year and try and save some "beans"  for the next GM to hopefully spend better in 2019.

We are likely to have a couple players handcuffing our budget in 2019 as well, so yes, count the beans. We'll need as many as possible.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

As conservative as I am, it seems that making a decision now about Bradley based on dollar signs that far into future is a little too conservative even for me. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrkite74. Show mrkite74's posts

Who would you rather in LF starting the year in NY?  Gomes will be dh, so Nava or Bradley?  Seems like it should be a no brainer.  We can not afford to start out horrible again this year.Bradley gives us much more than Nava could ever dream to.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Easy, big fella. This is Cliff Lee in March. If he starts, by the summer, they'll be a "book" on him. Regardless, he looks good; but likely in about a yr or two. Rushing him could make him the 2nd coming of Ed Kranepool or David Clyde (admittedly, Kranepool played 18 yrs, and was eventually good for a while), who came up too soon; that is, unless he's a Conigliaro, Kaline, Harper, or Trout.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to michaelsjr's comment:

As conservative as I am, it seems that making a decision now about Bradley based on dollar signs that far into future is a little too conservative even for me. 

So, you aren't concerned about Social Security going bankrupt in 20-25 years?

Let's go for it now, right?