Jackie Bradley Will Make The Opening Day Roster

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Re: Jackie Bradley Will Make The Opening Day Roster

ding ding ding ding.....

You just won the 100th poster of the thread contest.

Sorry!  your post will soon be deleted, thus giving us the prize.

Yours proudly,

BDC

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

Why why why why do these threads and the columnists themselves keeping pounding on this.  Can no one wait 11 days anymore?  Or must we have everything right freaking now?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to HankukSox's comment:

Why why why why do these threads and the columnists themselves keeping pounding on this.  Can no one wait 11 days anymore?  Or must we have everything right freaking now?

Does he deserve to play over Sweeney, Carp, Overbay, Nava? Ask that simple question. Who cares about 2019 when the Red Sox are a $170-190M payroll team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

In response to HankukSox's comment:

Does he deserve to play over Sweeney, Carp, Overbay, Nava? Ask that simple question. Who cares about 2019 when the Red Sox are a $170-190M payroll team.

As good as JBJ may be, he's not going to be demonstrably better than any of them, for a stretch of 8 or 9 games.

If the Sox get off to a bad start, it wont be because JBJ isn't on the roster.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Worst case scnario: He struggles through April and into May. Bradley is then sent to Pawtucket to work some things out once Papi returns. 

If that is worst case scenario, I ask: why the heck not?

I personally think that 11 games w/out Papi in the lineup is worth more than 20 games w/ Papi in the lineup.  We need him right now. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

Worst case scnario: He struggles through April and into May. Bradley is then sent to Pawtucket to work some things out once Papi returns. 

I personally think that 11 games w/out Papi in the lineup is worth more than 20 games w/ Papi in the lineup.  We need him right now. 

I don't have a problem with starting JBJ now and sending him down later.

But, we both know who will have a problem with it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

If the Sox get off to a bad start, it wont be because JBJ isn't on the roster.

As another illustrious poster used to say, "Ding Ding Ding!"

I think a lot of people, in their zeal for seeing Bradley make the roster, are vastly overestimating the difference he will make in a span of nine games. Out of those nine games, will he be worth one extra win? Two? Three? How many games does he have to win in the first 11 days to outweigh an entire year of team control? Expecting him to be worth two or three victories in the first couple of weeks would make him a 25-30 Win player over the course of a full season, which is ridiculous.

I understand the excitement for Bradley, but the expectations need to be checked a little - one guy's presence for 9 games is not going to make or break the season, and preserving the extra year of control is the smart business decision.

(By the way, those of us who are concerned about that extra year are actually paying Bradley a big compliment...the arb clock wouldn't even have crossed my mind if we were discussing putting Jonathan Diaz or Alex Hassan on the roster. It's an issue with Bradley because we believe he's going to be a great player for a long time and thus delaying his free agent eligibility would help this team significantly.)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I absolutely disagree that we have no chance.

I never said no chance. I put our odds at over 30:1.

There is a lot of talent here. Of course , things have to fall into place. Guys like Ortiz , Ellsbury and Napoli have to stay healthy and productive. That is asking a lot , but it is possible. Lester and Buchholz have to fulfill their potential and become dominant starters. That is also possible. Salty has big time power. He needs to make contact more often. Again , possible. We have a strong and deep bullpen. Always important. Pedroia is a constant. But what can really make the difference is the infusion of youth .

I don't sidagree with anything here, but I am trying to be realsitic in thinking that the chances the all or close to all of this happening in the same year is highly unlikely. It's like asking to flip heads 8 times out of 10.

The past few years we have been relying on just 3 guys to all put together strong seasons at the same time: Lester, Buch and Beckett. Now we are asking for about 8 out of 10 big ifs to do well at the same time. I don't see any increase in confidence this year. Sorry, but I don't. I am still optimistic about those 10 players individually, and I do realize they might just put it all together for once, but looking at this team objectively, seeing other strong teams getting better this winter, I am truthfully saying I have less confidence this year than last, and last year I felt we had 2 huge weaknesses that needed to be filled in order for us to be strong contenders: a solid 1-2 slot SP and a top RH'd hitter with power. We did not fill those slots last winter or this winter.

We have an exciting young shortstop in Iglesias.

He'll be sent down the second Drew is healthy, so this doesn't excite me as much as it should.

The probable rookie of the year in Bradley and an emerging slugger in Middlebrooks. A decent bench, with plenty of depth at Pawtucket to help when needed. And , apparently , a much improved attitude and enthusiasm. You should not be so willing to completely discount our chances. 

I love our bench and pen, but our bench and pen did very well last year as well, especially Cody Ross, Middlebrooks, Podsednik, Ciriaco, and Shoppach.

I'd say giving us about a 30 to 1 chance is not discounting our chances, in fact there are 30 teams in MLB, so...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Our chances for a ring hinge on our pitching. Exactly THREE teams in the past 100 years have won a ring with below average pitching. Our ERA was 12th in the AL last year. I am not sure how we improved our pitching so much that we will now finish in the top half of the AL so as to have a reasonable chance for a ring this year. Maybe you guys who think that this team has improved by more than 13 wins this year can let me know how we have done so. I am satisfied with 13 wins as long as Cherington makes the right moves to improve our chances to compete for a ring in a couple of years.

Exactly.

Our pen is better, but it did a fine job last year, even being over-worked. It might be hard to make a huge improvement over the very decent pen of 2012.

Dempster for Beckett.  I'm not impressed.

Bounce back from Lester and Buch. Chances are just as likely one or both will struggle or get hurt than both stay healthy and do well.

Doubront & Lackey. Room for a big gain here over last year's 4-5-6-7-8-9-10 starters.

Overall, we should be better, but not enough to improve a 69 win team to an 89 win team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

11 games vs 20 games. I'll take the 11. It's not like Nava is struggling.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

In response to softlaw2's comment:

But the Red Sox waste enough money on bad signings where the one year of control won't affect anything.  They also may sign him through his 7th year in year 4 or similar. Also, the zombie apocolypse could happen between now and then.

You know it's pathetic when a team goes out and signs Drew, Dumpster and Shane, and we have a poster on here talking about how this could "limit our ability to sign other players if Bradley has to be paid 10 or 20M more over a multi-year contract.

This is where it is, a narrative on the Red Sox 7 years from now! Bradley could be traded, and this "one year of control" isn't going to net gold from whoever wants him in a trade. It's 100% speculation what his arbitration cost or FA cost for this speculative year 7 years from now!

Without a doubt, between management shills and fantasy baseball goofballs, this Board is almost as out of touch and incompetent as Red Sox management.

Then just go away. I'm sure some other baseball discussion board is just pining for your insightful analysis. There's always talksox if you haven't been banned over there yet. And have I told you how cute your childish nicknames are?

Sign him with Boras will take a rasom.One year is a big deal when you can lose a few days up front. Did you really think just sign him to monster contract would work ? Like posters have tried to tell you....Please get the H...... out of here....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from HarryHerald. Show HarryHerald's posts

All of you forum experts were drilling me about JBJ making the team, etc. Well guess what boys? After today's game, his fate has been sealed. He will be the starting LF (or CF depending on Ellsbury's injury). 

Keep calling me a Yankee fan (wrong again), but I called this one two weeks ago.

After watching the Wes Welker debacle you would think everyone would be dead silent on where Jackie Bradley Jr plays. If he is the Best player for a position and displays as much skill as we think he carries just play him at the Major League level and stop confusing the issue. Playing Politics will only get us Sequestered, Into a Depression and in more trouble than we can dig out. Who cares about 2019, it may never come for Jackie Bradley Jr. at the major league level if we send him down and he loses confidence, gets mad at the club or gets hurt. PLAY HIM WHERE HIS TALENT DICTATES!

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I just think it is the G.M.'s job to manage his payroll .

Yes, for now and the future. Right.

If Bradley is making superstar money six years from now, we just have to economize in other areas.

Well, unlike softy, at least you admit it will likely make a difference 7 years from now.

That is why a good mix of youth and veterans is usually the best way to go. 

Yes. I want more youth than you.  JBJ for 151 games. Iggy for 150+. Tazawa from day 1.  Give Brentz & Linares every chance to make it at some point this year.

Ben is spending about as much on Dempster and Drew this year as the Angels are paying Josh Hamilton.  Does that make any sense ? 

None of these makes sense.

Will Dempster pitch better than Tazawa or Webster would have ?

No. Not likely.

Or even Aceves ? 

Maybe

Is Drew even needed , when we have Iglesias and Ciriaco ? 

No, and that is why I would have preferred signing A Sanchez instead of Dempster, Drew, SV and Papi. He'd help us more than the diffferentials between Drew/Iggy, SV/Bradley, and Papi/Gomes-Nava in the now, and he'd still be here, in his prime, long after these guys are gone and dofrgotten.

If you are worried about needing a one year stop gap , it would have been cheaper to keep Aviles. 

You have not been reading my posts. I have wanted Iggy as our starting SS since ST 2012.

Anyway , so much can happen in the next six years. It is premature to start thinking that far ahead. 

It's absurd to totally write off the 7 year future. It's not as far away as you think.

As far as the Sox having a chance to win it all this year;  who knows ?   The AL East looks up for grabs. If we put our best nine on the field and things fall into place, I think we have a chance. If you get to the post season , anything can happen. 

False. If we squeek in, we have as much chance of winning as Florida Gulf Coast University.

Plus, 11 more games by JBJ instead of Gomes/Nava is highly likely to not make the difference between making the playoffs or not.

1. I absolutely disagree that we have no chance. There is a lot of talent here. Of course , things have to fall into place. Guys like Ortiz , Ellsbury and Napoli have to stay healthy and productive. That is asking a lot , but it is possible. Lester and Buchholz have to fulfill their potential and become dominant starters. That is also possible. Salty has big time power. He needs to make contact more often. Again , possible. We have a strong and deep bullpen. Always important. Pedroia is a constant. But what can really make the difference is the infusion of youth . We have an exciting young shortstop in Iglesias. The probable rookie of the year in Bradley and an emerging slugger in Middlebrooks. A decent bench, with plenty of depth at Pawtucket to help when needed. And , apparently , a much improved attitude and enthusiasm. You should not be so willing to completely discount our chances. 

Our chances for a ring hinge on our pitching. Exactly THREE teams in the past 100 years have won a ring with below average pitching. Our ERA was 12th in the AL last year. I am not sure how we improved our pitching so much that we will now finish in the top half of the AL so as to have a reasonable chance for a ring this year. Maybe you guys who think that this team has improved by more than 13 wins this year can let me know how we have done so. I am satisfied with 13 wins as long as Cherington makes the right moves to improve our chances to compete for a ring in a couple of years.

Respectfully.....

Lester will improve up to 6+ games

Bush will improve up to 6+ games

The remaining 3, if healthy will improve up to 10+  (I know the SR with these 3 is a big ?????.  Tough to predict just how it shakes out, but I think +10 is not at all unrealistic, given the rediculous hodgepodge of misfits plugging holes in that SR last year.)

Our BP is much improved!

Our chemistry is drastically improved

Ells is healthy!

Middy is healthy!

Pedey is healthy!

Doubie should have longer legs

We just might have one of the best OF's in mlb IF..........

JBJ is added to the starting lineup.  

Without Papi, this kid is really our only hope!  I honestly believe that.  Otherwise, it's truly throw in the white towel time......

RSDD, I applaud your optimism. Respectfully, however, I see this as wishful thinking. I wish it would happen too. I cannot see Lester AND Buch improving six games each, and as you said the rest of the rotation is a big ??. The bullpen has yet to prove themselves, even though on paper they look good. Relief pitchers are a huge crapshoot; we do not know how they will perform. Finally, assuming good health is a mistake. Every team gets injuries. Lester or Buch could easily get injured-in fact, I think its safer to COUNT on one of them missing some time this year rather than counting on them to remain healthy.

Thirteen games is a very large improvement. That brings us to .500. Its a step in the right direction and if Cherington makes some good moves by the trade deadline we should be in good shape in two years. This is a long term problem (the annual degradation of the pitching performance) and it will require a long term fix. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to ThefourBs's comment:

For my part I do not care how we arrange for one extra year of team control of Bradley as long as the end result is that we get it. He can get sent down now or he can get sent down later to do his time. When he is done I think he should be brought up ONLY if he is going to play every day.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Our pen is better, but it did a fine job last year, even being over-worked. It might be hard to make a huge improvement over the very decent pen of 2012.

I disagree.  Overall, the 2012 pen was not that good.  Our middle relievers like Tazawa, Atchison et al were very good.  But the back end of the pen was a disaster.  We had the worst save % in the league.  The 3 guys who were slotted as closers, Aceves, Melancon and Bailey, were all terrible.  Only in low-leverage situations did the pen put up good numbers.

There is definitely significant room for improvement in the pen. 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

In response to HarryHerald's comment:

..." Who cares about 2019, it may never come for Jackie Bradley Jr. at the major league level if we send him down and he loses confidence, gets mad at the club or gets hurt. PLAY HIM WHERE HIS TALENT DICTATES!"

Agree.  Holding him back may foster resentment toward mgt in his mind..not to mention Boras will file it under "that one's going to come back and bite you in the shorts"

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

As good as JBJ may be, he's not going to be demonstrably better than any of them, for a stretch of 8 or 9 games.

Patently false. His defensive ability alone makes him "demonstrably" better, whatever that meaningless word means in this context.

You used the word 'patently' and in the next sentence attacked the word 'demonstrably', which means roughly the same thing as 'patently'.  Bravo! 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

I just think it is the G.M.'s job to manage his payroll .

Yes, for now and the future. Right.

If Bradley is making superstar money six years from now, we just have to economize in other areas.

Well, unlike softy, at least you admit it will likely make a difference 7 years from now.

That is why a good mix of youth and veterans is usually the best way to go. 

Yes. I want more youth than you.  JBJ for 151 games. Iggy for 150+. Tazawa from day 1.  Give Brentz & Linares every chance to make it at some point this year.

Ben is spending about as much on Dempster and Drew this year as the Angels are paying Josh Hamilton.  Does that make any sense ? 

None of these makes sense.

Will Dempster pitch better than Tazawa or Webster would have ?

No. Not likely.

Or even Aceves ? 

Maybe

Is Drew even needed , when we have Iglesias and Ciriaco ? 

No, and that is why I would have preferred signing A Sanchez instead of Dempster, Drew, SV and Papi. He'd help us more than the diffferentials between Drew/Iggy, SV/Bradley, and Papi/Gomes-Nava in the now, and he'd still be here, in his prime, long after these guys are gone and dofrgotten.

If you are worried about needing a one year stop gap , it would have been cheaper to keep Aviles. 

You have not been reading my posts. I have wanted Iggy as our starting SS since ST 2012.

Anyway , so much can happen in the next six years. It is premature to start thinking that far ahead. 

It's absurd to totally write off the 7 year future. It's not as far away as you think.

As far as the Sox having a chance to win it all this year;  who knows ?   The AL East looks up for grabs. If we put our best nine on the field and things fall into place, I think we have a chance. If you get to the post season , anything can happen. 

False. If we squeek in, we have as much chance of winning as Florida Gulf Coast University.

Plus, 11 more games by JBJ instead of Gomes/Nava is highly likely to not make the difference between making the playoffs or not.

1. I absolutely disagree that we have no chance. There is a lot of talent here. Of course , things have to fall into place. Guys like Ortiz , Ellsbury and Napoli have to stay healthy and productive. That is asking a lot , but it is possible. Lester and Buchholz have to fulfill their potential and become dominant starters. That is also possible. Salty has big time power. He needs to make contact more often. Again , possible. We have a strong and deep bullpen. Always important. Pedroia is a constant. But what can really make the difference is the infusion of youth . We have an exciting young shortstop in Iglesias. The probable rookie of the year in Bradley and an emerging slugger in Middlebrooks. A decent bench, with plenty of depth at Pawtucket to help when needed. And , apparently , a much improved attitude and enthusiasm. You should not be so willing to completely discount our chances. 

Respectfully.....

Lester will improve up to 6+ games

Bush will improve up to 6+ games

The remaining 3, if healthy will improve up to 10+  (I know the SR with these 3 is a big ?????.  Tough to predict just how it shakes out, but I think +10 is not at all unrealistic, given the rediculous hodgepodge of misfits plugging holes in that SR last year.)

Our BP is much improved!

Our chemistry is drastically improved

Ells is healthy!

Middy is healthy!

Pedey is healthy!

Doubie should have longer legs

We just might have one of the best OF's in mlb IF..........

JBJ is added to the starting lineup.  

Without Papi, this kid is really our only hope!  I honestly believe that.  Otherwise, it's truly throw in the white towel time......

RSDD, I applaud your optimism. Respectfully, however, I see this as wishful thinking. I wish it would happen too. I cannot see Lester AND Buch improving six games each, and as you said the rest of the rotation is a big ??. The bullpen has yet to prove themselves, even though on paper they look good. Relief pitchers are a huge crapshoot; we do not know how they will perform. Finally, assuming good health is a mistake. Every team gets injuries. Lester or Buch could easily get injured-in fact, I think its safer to COUNT on one of them missing some time this year rather than counting on them to remain healthy.

Thirteen games is a very large improvement. That brings us to .500. Its a step in the right direction and if Cherington makes some good moves by the trade deadline we should be in good shape in two years. This is a long term problem (the annual degradation of the pitching performance) and it will require a long term fix. 

2012:  

Lester  9 - 14  4.82        He will easily win 6+ more games in 2013

Buch    11 - 8   4.56       Buch will likely win 6+ more games in 2013, healthy & sharp

Doub   11 - 10   4.86    Doubs could win 3+ more games in 2013  (prob. pushing it!)

Lackey & Dempster should be better than the hodgepodge  5+ extra wins

There's your 20 games.....  Problems solved  :)

Our BP is much improved also!!!!   Add 10 & we win the Penant :)   Simple

Add JBJ +5        SOX WIN THE WORLD SERIES!!!!!    :)   OH YEH!

Sorry!  I'm back now

I am sticking with my SR predictions though

The combo of the improved SR and BP should pick us up the 20 wins to really compete for the WC or extra WC spot!   :)

Write it down!  It will happen  :)   WITH JBJ!!!!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

I dont know if you are referring to Bil-806 or Jackie Bradley Jr himself.  Both would have problems with it, haha.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

No JBJ all bets are off!

Gomes in LF???     Ughhh!

Gomes at the DH until Papi limps back for a little platooning at DH   :)

I honestly believe that the JBJ move it the lynch pin for a complete turnaround season.

I know it sounds like hyperbole, but it completely changes the dynamic......   IMHO

The starting lineup is lackluster at best without him!  It drastically weakens the DH spot and LF!  2 HUGE HOLES!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

I disagree.  Overall, the 2012 pen was not that good.  Our middle relievers like Tazawa, Atchison et al were very good.  But the back end of the pen was a disaster.  We had the worst save % in the league.  The 3 guys who were slotted as closers, Aceves, Melancon and Bailey, were all terrible.  Only in low-leverage situations did the pen put up good numbers.

There is definitely significant room for improvement in the pen. 

I also think that referring to the 2012 team as a 69 win team is misleading.  Take our winning % prior to Papi's injury and extrapolate that over 162.  I dont know what that number is , but its higher than 69.

The biggest factor in 2013 (just like 2012) will be David Ortiz.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

OK.....  A huge lynch pin!    The real lynch pin is the SR!!!!   Much improved!!!!!

JBJ simply makes us a much better hitting and Defensive team! 

If this team really has no chance to compete for the WC, that will become obvious by late July, in which time the 11 or so days for JBJ can easily be dealt with.  I hope that time doesn't come, but there's the solution.  When that time doesn't come, and the Sox are rolling, we forget about the 11 days and deal with it 6 years from now. 

After the last 2 years, no Sox fan wants to make decisions based on 6 years from now.  We're not too thrilled about really rooting for this team 6 years from now, we want a competing team NOW!  Just playing good ball, having fun, and rooting for our boys!  Nobody want a sub .500 team to "suffer through."  All we're asking for is a winning team, that competes for the WC.  Not too much to ask for.

Relax about the 11 days, as if the baseball guru's are correct, it is already a mute point.  I think they're wrong, and would love to see a Penant / WC race!  We don't need no stinking "11 days for and extra year of control" BS HS debate!

:)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

I dont know if you are referring to Bil-806 or Jackie Bradley Jr himself.  Both would have problems with it, haha.

I'm not so sure JBJ would have a problem with it. The kid seems to have a pretty good head on his shoulders. Bill-806 and softlaw on the other hand...

Sections
Shortcuts