Jackie Bradley Will Make The Opening Day Roster

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Jackie Bradley Will Make The Opening Day Roster

2) that Larry Lucchino himself has said that the Sox have been too conservative in sending up younger players...case in point -

Provide link.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrkite74. Show mrkite74's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

SO true could not agree more with every point.

In response to ADG's comment:

All of you forum experts were drilling me about JBJ making the team, etc. Well guess what boys? After today's game, his fate has been sealed. He will be the starting LF (or CF depending on Ellsbury's injury). 

Keep calling me a Yankee fan (wrong again), but I called this one two weeks ago.

It's not us against you.  It's a question of making a decision based on spring training stats.  As a fan you really can't decipher anything from reading a ST box score.  He may just be MLB ready, and if the staff thinks he is and that he can handle MLB pitching then maybe he will be in the lineup.  I just don't think anyone can tell that better than the sox, me nor you.

I base my opinion on the odds of his experience, it doesn't mean I whole heartedly believe he isn't ready.  I just recognize I'm not in a position to make that call.  It also doesn't mean I'm not going to be rooting my butt of for the kid.  JBJ is making a HUGE case for himself, I'll admit that. The only point i have and others have been making is of cannot tell just because a guy is hitting good in ST.

this post would make sense if ...

1) the same exact argument wasnt used against Will Middlebrooks to the send him back to AAA (so youk could keep his job - that proven to be embarrassingly wrong ...

2) that Larry Lucchino himself has said that the Sox have been too conservative in sending up younger players...case in point -

3) former Sox player AND GOLD GLOVE WINNER Josh Reddick said this past year that the Sox yo-yoing of him between the minors and the majors made it very difficult to find a groove and play with confidence

4) JB is the best player in Boston right now...and our signed outfielders and free agents are mostly underperforming decrepit old men...Vittorino is batting .150 and he should start over JB??? Really..

but yea Hugh, other than those points, youre exactly right about keeping JB in the minors

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrkite74. Show mrkite74's posts

He will open the year in LF with out a doubt.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Provide link.

That was actually in an interview he did with WEEI during the season last year. It's probably in their archives but I would have no idea how to find it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Look , I have said , if they think the eleven days in Pawtucket is worth the extra year of control down the line, it makes business sense. But who knows what the situation will be at that time?  We are coming off an epic collapse in 2011 , and a dismal 2012 . We need to get off on the right foot this year.  Bradley has earned a spot in the starting lineup. So be it. 

I suppose Bradley could be the next Freddy Lynn, and he might make me become a believer that we have a chance this year, but 11 games vs 162 is still the right idea.  I can see starting him with the big club, but then I hear he has to go down for 20 days. Maybe when Papi comes back that could happen, but the 11 days sounds better to me.

I can understand the mania building for this guy. He is something special. He's so special, I want him here in Boston an extra year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Provide link.

That was actually in an interview he did with WEEI during the season last year. It's probably in their archives but I would have no idea how to find it.

I thought he worded it a bit differently.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to UnionFallsNY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

For ADG, Softlaw, and Geo - the forum isn't about rooting for the Sox or talking baseball but it about taking a contrarian stance and thinking that their ego is at stake for being correct. It is all about their ego and entertainment and nothing else. My guess is that they aren't even Red Sox fans. 

I have been saying the exact same thing about Stiffy for years!!!  BiNGO!  Yahtzee!  Check mate!  and 1.....  :)

At least with respect to Stiffy for sure.  Bill is just a slobbering lackey!  He so desperately wants to impress Stiffy, it's embarrassing.

The Stiff One is a narcissist extraordinaire!  His entire existence is defined by taking stands, then moving heaven and earth to "prove" he was right, no matter how many times he has to shift the terms of the debate.  He consistently sets up straw man arguments, for no other purpose than knocking them down.  He is oblivious to real socratic debate, as he is, like George Costanza, a want to be lawyer.  Pathetic!

THE RICH IRONY????

He unwittingly provides us with rediculous and specious arguments to easily knock down on a daily basis.  It's almost too easy.  Sometimes I actually feel sorry for the guy, as he is so self-delusional that he actually believes his own bs.  It's just sad.  Sadder still???  Bill fawning over the guy so!  Truly embarrassing for a guy of such advanced age.  Not that there's anything wrong with that!  What two grown men, of advanced age and limited cerebral capasity do in the privacy of their own virtual world is none of my business.  ;)  Wink wink nudge nudge say no moah ;)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

LMAO

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Look , I have said , if they think the eleven days in Pawtucket is worth the extra year of control down the line, it makes business sense. But who knows what the situation will be at that time?  We are coming off an epic collapse in 2011 , and a dismal 2012 . We need to get off on the right foot this year.  Bradley has earned a spot in the starting lineup. So be it. 

I suppose Bradley could be the next Freddy Lynn, and he might make me become a believer that we have a chance this year, but 11 games vs 162 is still the right idea.  I can see starting him with the big club, but then I hear he has to go down for 20 days. Maybe when Papi comes back that could happen, but the 11 days sounds better to me.

I can understand the mania building for this guy. He is something special. He's so special, I want him here in Boston an extra year.

If he turns out to be a superstar , we can have him for the extra year , and for his productive career , if we want. How have we become a small market team , unable to deal with Boras ?  If he turns out to be just an above average player, or less ,  we simply move on. We have no idea what the future holds.  Six years from now , there will be a host of young players who we have not heard about at this time. Moonslav , life is short. You are thinking way too far into the future.  Why not go for it all right now ? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If he turns out to be a superstar , we can have him for the extra year , and for his productive career , if we want. How have we become a small market team , unable to deal with Boras ? 

Yes, we can extend or re-sign him, but it might be a huge cost for that one year, and like it or not, this team is on a budget and always will be. It might be a top 2-5 budget in MLB for quite a while, but the fact is, the money we end up spending on JBJ for that year is money we can not spend on another position of two, or three.

11 Days for 162 during prime age. 

We're not even going to win it all this year, even if JBJ has a Fred Lynn rookie type year.

If he turns out to be just an above average player, or less ,  we simply move on. We have no idea what the future holds. 

If he ends up being average or above average, then what did we miss by having him in AAA for 11 days?  Are you thinking he will have an awesome 11 days, then maybe just be average or above average the rest of the way, we make the playoffs by a close amount, so those 11 days were crucial, and then we go on to win a ring, all in thanks to those 11 days?

Six years from now , there will be a host of young players who we have not heard about at this time.

This is a lame point.

Moonslav , life is short. You are thinking way too far into the future.  Why not go for it all right now ? 

It's that here and now attitude that got us Crawford, and Lackey and 6 years of losing.

11 games now vs 162 later is a no brainer.

If it was 162 now for 162 later, I'd still be hesitant, since my guess is that JBJ will be better in 7 years than in 2013. At least at 162 vs 162, I could see going with JBJ all season, but it's not even close. That extra 151 games has huge value. Much much more than 11 games in April on a team destined to finish out of the playoffs.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

Most are predicting that the AL East will be very tight. There are about 9-10 games during the opening of the season depending on the exact day that JBJ gets called up. Obviously, all are against division rivals. 

All I am saying is that if RS open the season 3-8 versus 8-3 because JBJ isn't there with his glove and high OBP, then it could make all the difference in a close race at the end of the season. Starting on a high note is great for this team, psychologically rather than starting in a hole. 

I think I would rather see JBJ sent down during parts of the season where the schedule is light (like every Astros game)! I don't know if the 20 games have to be consecutive. If they do not, then here is my schedule for JBJ:

Keep him up to begin the season when RS are playing division rivals.

Send him down April 16-29 (14 days total) when RS play Cleveland, KC, Oakland, and Houston at home.

Send him down Aug 2-7 (6 days) when the RS play Arizona and Houston again.

If we need him in the line-up for the Houston games, all is lost anyway! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to 808soxfan's comment:

Most are predicting that the AL East will be very tight. There are about 9-10 games during the opening of the season depending on the exact day that JBJ gets called up. Obviously, all are against division rivals. 

All I am saying is that if RS open the season 3-8 versus 8-3 because JBJ isn't there with his glove and high OBP, then it could make all the difference in a close race at the end of the season. Starting on a high note is great for this team, psychologically rather than starting in a hole. 

I think I would rather see JBJ sent down during parts of the season where the schedule is light (like every Astros game)! I don't know if the 20 games have to be consecutive. If they do not, then here is my schedule for JBJ:

Send him down April 16-29 (14 days total) when RS play Cleveland, KC, Oakland, and Houston at home.

your assuming JBJ is going to have a WAR of 5 in 11 games??

also, when a player is optioned, they must spend 20 conescutive days in the minor leagues. So you can not send him down for 14 days, bring him up and then back down for 6. If we send him down on the 10th, he is not elligible to return to the bigs until the 30th etc.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to 808soxfan's comment:

your assuming JBJ is going to have a WAR of 5 in 11 games??

also, when a player is optioned, they must spend 20 conescutive days in the minor leagues. So you can not send him down for 14 days, bring him up and then back down for 6. If we send him down on the 10th, he is not elligible to return to the bigs until the 30th etc.

I would rather have him up all the time and not go down at all. Still, there are better parts of the season to skip 20 days rather than the first 12, but I would rather that JBJ not go down at all.

RS are not a small market club. I want them to win this year. I am excited about this team. I think that they can win a lot of games. The pitching looks good, but setting the winning tone at the beginning of the season is going to be important for this team. JBJ stays IMO. 

I don't assume that he will have a WAR of 5 in 11 games, but he has much better odds of being a signficant part of a number of wins that otherwise would have been losses. What other outfielder do we have that has his current OBP? None. The problem is compounded with Papi out. If RS had a healthy Papi, I might feel differently about keeping JBJ out to start the season.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Penny wise, Pound foolish.  DO NOT sacrifice  a full year of control five years from now for eleven days now.

This team is on the brink of being the team the Yankees were back when Jeter, Bernie Williams, etc. were younger and JBJ is going to be one of the centerpieces of that team.  If the Sox have him with the big club all year we're going to look back in five years and say, "I can't believe we gave up a full year of this guy in his prime in exchange for eleven days in 2013."

Like it or not, baseball IS a business and business decisions are made every day.  Keeping him in the minors until April 20 is a sound business decision and the only way to go.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to S5's comment:

Penny wise, Pound foolish.  DO NOT sacrifice  a full year of control five years from now for eleven days now.

This team is on the brink of being the team the Yankees were back when Jeter, Bernie Williams, etc. were younger and JBJ is going to be one of the centerpieces of that team.  If the Sox have him with the big club all year we're going to look back in five years and say, "I can't believe we gave up a full year of this guy in his prime in exchange for eleven days in 2013."

Like it or not, baseball IS a business and business decisions are made every day.  Keeping him in the minors until April 20 is a sound business decision and the only way to go.

Yes, the "here and now" attitude most of this country has adopted has gotten us to where we are now. I'm surprised softy is following GW and Obama's lead on this.

Even if we do extend or re-sign JBJ after his control runs out, that extra year may be very costly, and it could prohibit us from strengthening other areas of the team for that year.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Hes certainly making a good case for himself to make the team out of ST. I said it wouldnt bother me either way what the decision was. And it doesnt. My opinion remains the same though. I still think giving up a year of JBJ for 11 days is foolish at best. True fans would still come see this team play, but I guess they have to keep the pink hats happy as well. If he comes up and does great, just realize that hes probably not going back down thus being a FA in 2018 instead of 2019. 

Although I understand theres a good chance JBJ will be directly involved in a win or maybe even 2, I also saw how quickly a lead can diminish when the pitching isnt up to par. Now, I realize Noe Ramirez is in A ball, but the point being that the pitching is going to lead us to victory more than 1 position player. If Daniel Nava started opening day (Hes got good numbers vs. CC) I would have no issue with that, and bringing JBJ up for the start of the Rays series at Fenway. Personally, I think thats the smart business move. But I understand if they dont.

The difference with me compared to guys like ADG and Softone is I can still have a different opinion than what the team decides to do, but dont have such an inflated ego that I have to create 10 posts a day telling everyone how wrong the team is and how right I am and acting as if the world is going to come to an end if JBJ doesnt break camp with the team and they end up being wrong.

Its a game guys, relax. try to enjoy it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

If he turns out to be a superstar , we can have him for the extra year , and for his productive career , if we want. How have we become a small market team , unable to deal with Boras ? 

Yes, we can extend or re-sign him, but it might be a huge cost for that one year, and like it or not, this team is on a budget and always will be. It might be a top 2-5 budget in MLB for quite a while, but the fact is, the money we end up spending on JBJ for that year is money we can not spend on another position of two, or three.

11 Days for 162 during prime age. 

We're not even going to win it all this year, even if JBJ has a Fred Lynn rookie type year.

If he turns out to be just an above average player, or less ,  we simply move on. We have no idea what the future holds. 

If he ends up being average or above average, then what did we miss by having him in AAA for 11 days?  Are you thinking he will have an awesome 11 days, then maybe just be average or above average the rest of the way, we make the playoffs by a close amount, so those 11 days were crucial, and then we go on to win a ring, all in thanks to those 11 days?

Six years from now , there will be a host of young players who we have not heard about at this time.

This is a lame point.

Moonslav , life is short. You are thinking way too far into the future.  Why not go for it all right now ? 

It's that here and now attitude that got us Crawford, and Lackey and 6 years of losing.

11 games now vs 162 later is a no brainer.

If it was 162 now for 162 later, I'd still be hesitant, since my guess is that JBJ will be better in 7 years than in 2013. At least at 162 vs 162, I could see going with JBJ all season, but it's not even close. That extra 151 games has huge value. Much much more than 11 games in April on a team destined to finish out of the playoffs.

You whole argument is based on the thinking that he will leave as a free agent when eligible.  Even if he did , my "lame point " is that there will be others ready to take his place by then.  It is very difficult to argue with someone with your know-it-all attitude.  It is obvious to many of us that we should be putting our best team on the field from day one. You have obviously given up on the season, and are planning for the future.  I would continue to debate this , but my back is killing me from " moving the goalposts."  I have to go get some ICY HOT. Meanwhile , keep working on your " projections " for 2019 and beyond.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Provide link.

I thought he worded it a bit differently.

thats exactly the words and i provided the link a month ago

Sections
Shortcuts