Jackie Bradley Will Make The Opening Day Roster

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: Jackie Bradley Will Make The Opening Day Roster

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I suppose Bradley could be the next Freddy Lynn, and he might make me become a believer that we have a chance this year, but 11 games vs 162 is still the right idea.  I can see starting him with the big club, but then I hear he has to go down for 20 days. Maybe when Papi comes back that could happen, but the 11 days sounds better to me.

I can understand the mania building for this guy. He is something special. He's so special, I want him here in Boston an extra year.

If he turns out to be a superstar , we can have him for the extra year , and for his productive career , if we want. How have we become a small market team , unable to deal with Boras ? 

Not at all!  I expect us to extend or re-sign him at a hefty cost. We will then not be able to spend on other positions due to our restricted budget- not small market, but restrictive none the less. Like it or not, we do not have an unlimited budget.

Yes, we can extend or re-sign him, but it might be a huge cost for that one year, and like it or not, this team is on a budget and always will be. It might be a top 2-5 budget in MLB for quite a while, but the fact is, the money we end up spending on JBJ for that year is money we can not spend on another position of two, or three.

11 Days for 162 during prime age. 

We're not even going to win it all this year, even if JBJ has a Fred Lynn rookie type year.

If he turns out to be just an above average player, or less ,  we simply move on. We have no idea what the future holds. 

And, then we also lost nothing for missing him for 11 days this April as well, right?

If he ends up being average or above average, then what did we miss by having him in AAA for 11 days?  Are you thinking he will have an awesome 11 days, then maybe just be average or above average the rest of the way, we make the playoffs by a close amount, so those 11 days were crucial, and then we go on to win a ring, all in thanks to those 11 days?

Six years from now , there will be a host of young players who we have not heard about at this time.

This is a lame point. 

Moonslav , life is short. You are thinking way too far into the future.  Why not go for it all right now ? 

11 games is not likely to help or hurt us enough for the "go for it all right now" portion of this decision. It's 11 games now vs 162 games in 7 years. I plan on being alive and a Sox fan in 2020.

It's that here and now attitude that got us Crawford, and Lackey and 6 years of losing.

11 games now vs 162 later is a no brainer.

If it was 162 now for 162 later, I'd still be hesitant, since my guess is that JBJ will be better in 7 years than in 2013. At least at 162 vs 162, I could see going with JBJ all season, but it's not even close. That extra 151 games has huge value. Much much more than 11 games in April on a team destined to finish out of the playoffs.

You whole argument is based on the thinking that he will leave as a free agent when eligible. 

Again, not at all. I probably will want to re-sign him after 2018 or 2019, whichever it turns out to be, if he is a good to great player. The point is that although we are not a small market team, we are still on a restricted budget, so the extra cost need to pay JBJ in 2020 will mean that money can not and will not be spent on someone else to fill an area of high need.

Even if he did , my "lame point " is that there will be others ready to take his place by then.  It is very difficult to argue with someone with your know-it-all attitude. 

I should have made this point clear. I'm not pretending to think we won't have someone in 7 years, but that even if we did, what difference would it make. We could just trade one or find a new position.

It is obvious to many of us that we should be putting our best team on the field from day one. You have obviously given up on the season, and are planning for the future. 

Actually, I believe my plan "for the future" also put a team on the field for 2013 that would have been BETTER, younger, and more exciting to watch. In fact, my team had JBJ as our starting CF'er (where he belongs) long before the ST hoopla took hold. I also had Tazawa (perhaps our best pitcher) stretched out to be our 5th starter. I also had the superior Iggy at SS, and wanted Linares and Brentz to get a legitinate shot at winning a job. I feel very confident my team woul win more than this one, even with JBJ in AAA for the first 11 days.

I would continue to debate this , but my back is killing me from " moving the goalposts."  I have to go get some ICY HOT. Meanwhile , keep working on your " projections " for 2019 and beyond.

I we will both be Sox fans in 2019 and 2020, an.d we will be arguing about how to fill 3 key roster openings on such a tight budget, due in part to JBJ's new contract.

I hope your back is better. Forget the ICY HOT, cure the source of the problem and try what softy uses: a Balsa Wood goalpost.

I just think it is the G.M.'s job to manage his payroll . If Bradley is making superstar money six years from now, we just have to economize in other areas. That is why a good mix of youth and veterans is usually the best way to go.  Ben is spending about as much on Dempster and Drew this year as the Angels are paying Josh Hamilton.  Does that make any sense ?  Will Dempster pitch better than Tazawa or Webster would have ? Or even Aceves ?  Is Drew even needed , when we have Iglesias and Ciriaco ?  If you are worried about needing a one year stop gap , it would have been cheaper to keep Aviles.  Anyway , so much can happen in the next six years. It is premature to start thinking that far ahead.  As far as the Sox having a chance to win it all this year;  who knows ?   The AL East looks up for grabs. If we put our best nine on the field and things fall into place, I think we have a chance. If you get to the post season , anything can happen. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mrkite74's comment:

Who would you rather in LF starting the year in NY?  Gomes will be dh, so Nava or Bradley?  Seems like it should be a no brainer.  We can not afford to start out horrible again this year.Bradley gives us much more than Nava could ever dream to.

Q should be, who would you rather have in LG? Gomes/Nava or Ellsbury.

JBJ is the best defensive CF'er in the system.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

It's precisely because of the continued dumb signings like Drew, SV and Dempster that we need to keep a guy like JBJ around and extra year and try and save some "beans"  for the next GM to hopefully spend better in 2019.

Utter nonsense. The 2019 Red Sox budget has the same plentiful beans that has resulted in 150 million plus payrolls a year. What it will do, is lead this incompetent management to sign losers like Crawbust and the numerous other veteran FA's.

It will have no bearing, whatsoever, on what the Red Sox can afford in the 2019 budget.

We will likely be right at the luxury tax limit every year from here to there. Of course a $10M differential can and will make a difference in that year's budget.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I just think it is the G.M.'s job to manage his payroll .

Yes, for now and the future. Right.

If Bradley is making superstar money six years from now, we just have to economize in other areas.

Well, unlike softy, at least you admit it will likely make a difference 7 years from now.

That is why a good mix of youth and veterans is usually the best way to go. 

Yes. I want more youth than you.  JBJ for 151 games. Iggy for 150+. Tazawa from day 1.  Give Brentz & Linares every chance to make it at some point this year.

Ben is spending about as much on Dempster and Drew this year as the Angels are paying Josh Hamilton.  Does that make any sense ? 

None of these makes sense.

Will Dempster pitch better than Tazawa or Webster would have ?

No. Not likely.

Or even Aceves ? 

Maybe

Is Drew even needed , when we have Iglesias and Ciriaco ? 

No, and that is why I would have preferred signing A Sanchez instead of Dempster, Drew, SV and Papi. He'd help us more than the diffferentials between Drew/Iggy, SV/Bradley, and Papi/Gomes-Nava in the now, and he'd still be here, in his prime, long after these guys are gone and dofrgotten.

If you are worried about needing a one year stop gap , it would have been cheaper to keep Aviles. 

You have not been reading my posts. I have wanted Iggy as our starting SS since ST 2012.

Anyway , so much can happen in the next six years. It is premature to start thinking that far ahead. 

It's absurd to totally write off the 7 year future. It's not as far away as you think.

As far as the Sox having a chance to win it all this year;  who knows ?   The AL East looks up for grabs. If we put our best nine on the field and things fall into place, I think we have a chance. If you get to the post season , anything can happen. 

False. If we squeek in, we have as much chance of winning as Florida Gulf Coast University.

Plus, 11 more games by JBJ instead of Gomes/Nava is highly likely to not make the difference between making the playoffs or not.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We will likely be right at the luxury tax limit every year from here to there. Of course a $10M differential can and will make a difference in that year's budget.l

"we will likely"? You have no idea where the luxery tax will be or what the budget will be.

The great things about not "saivng a year of control" is that it might discourage the Red Sox from signing these veteran FA bums they keep signing. It's too bad that Bradley wasn't 10M or more on the books, as that would have discourages these incompetents from signing Drew. And you're worried about what Bradley's arbitration vs. market will be 7 years from now. That's not a question.

Huh?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

In response to UnionFallsNY's comment:

A trip to an arguement clinic is overdue here.

Yeah....

and they were doing so well with respect to their opinions about Iggy....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

As far as the Sox having a chance to win it all this year;  who knows ?   The AL East looks up for grabs. If we put our best nine on the field and things fall into place, I think we have a chance. If you get to the post season , anything can happen. 

False. If we squeek in, we have as much chance of winning as Florida Gulf Coast University.

Plus, 11 more games by JBJ instead of Gomes/Nava is highly likely to not make the difference between making the playoffs or not.

WOW, I've never seen you so negative. I'm pretty negative myself about my team. Let the battle for the second division also rans commence!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

We will likely be right at the luxury tax limit every year from here to there. Of course a $10M differential can and will make a difference in that year's budget.l

"we will likely"? You have no idea where the luxery tax will be or what the budget will be.

The great things about not "saivng a year of control" is that it might discourage the Red Sox from signing these veteran FA bums they keep signing. It's too bad that Bradley wasn't 10M or more on the books, as that would have discourages these incompetents from signing Drew. And you're worried about what Bradley's arbitration vs. market will be 7 years from now. That's not a question.

What will Stiffy say when the Sox compete with this group of VA vets???  Oh, that's right, he'll change the debate and put up yet another tired straw man argument.

The major difference between Stiffy and most on this board???  We will be ROOTING FOR, not against, this tired group of VA vets.  Stiffy will be ROOTING AGAINST them simply on the hope that he might actually be right about one thing this century.

We will be happy Red Sox Fans.  :)  Love it Stify

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

WOW, I've never seen you so negative. I'm pretty negative myself about my team. Let the battle for the second division also rans commence!

The chance is so remote that 11 more games by JBJ will make or break a playoff run, then if we get in, we have a low chance of advancing even to the AL Champioship round. 

I feel the value of 162 games from JBJ in 7 years is worth more than 11 games in April 2013.

I'm being optimistic about our future.

:)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

What will Stiffy say when the Sox compete with this group of VA vets???  Oh, that's right, he'll change the debate and put up yet another tired straw man argument.

The major difference between Stiffy and most on this board???  We will be ROOTING FOR, not against, this tired group of VA vets.  Stiffy will be ROOTING AGAINST them simply on the hope that he might actually be right about one thing this century.

We will be happy Red Sox Fans.  :)  Love it Stify

Mr. Conservative, stiffy, wants us to not worry about the future. It will take care of itself. Let's only care about the here and now. Sound like a recent president anyone know?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

The chance is so remote that 11 more games by JBJ will make or break a playoff run, then if we get in, we have a low chance of advancing even to the AL Champioship round. 

I feel the value of 162 games from JBJ in 7 years is worth more than 11 games in April 2013.

I'm being optimistic about our future.

:)

As much as we disagree about Iggy, the opposite is true about Bradley. There is no question in my mind that he is ready for the major leagues. The only issue is how absolutely STUPID it would be not to get one more year of team control out of him in exchange for what is most likely 11 meaningless games this year when we will be battling for fourth place. Sure it would be great to see him out there every day, but its penny wise and pound foolish. Some folks here have no concept of strategy. With our SP we are almost certainly not going to win a ring, and having Bradley out there for 11 more games will change absolutely nothing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

As much as we disagree about Iggy, the opposite is true about Bradley. There is no question in my mind that he is ready for the major leagues. The only issue is how absolutely STUPID it would be not to get one more year of team control out of him in exchange for what is most likely 11 meaningless games this year when we will be battling for fourth place. Sure it would be great to see him out there every day, but its penny wise and pound foolish. Some folks here have no concept of strategy. With our SP we are almost certainly not going to win a ring, and having Bradley out there for 11 more games will change absolutely nothing.

April games do matter, but not with this team , this year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Any team that doesn't play its best players is not worthy of fan support.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

In response to michaelsjr's comment:

As conservative as I am, it seems that making a decision now about Bradley based on dollar signs that far into future is a little too conservative even for me. 

So, you aren't concerned about Social Security going bankrupt in 20-25 years?

Let's go for it now, right?

Ridiculous comparison.  Neither a player nor a team should be given the importance of comparing them to Social Security that affects millions of people everyday. 

If Red Sox can't afford him when time to negotiate, then they will have bigger problems than a single player.  It also calls for the assumption that he'll be just as hot and just as healthy then as now.  Maybe he will, maybe he won't.  Too many what ifs to even contemplate.

Like saying 11 games won't matter because we'll be battling for 4th....that is pure assumption on your part.  11 games - especially if they were above .500 would have mattered a great deal in 2011.

Was just stating my personal opinion, sir - You have a different opinion and that's quite all right.

Thanks, though, for thinking I'll be giving a hoot about SS in 25 years.  Almost as good as being carded for a cold beer.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Thanks, though, for thinking I'll be giving a hoot about SS in 25 years.  Almost as good as being carded for a cold beer.

LOL,  enjoy a cold one kiddo.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

If Bradley is making superstar money six years from now, we just have to economize in other areas.

Well, unlike softy, at least you admit it will likely make a difference 7 years from now.

Yes. I want more youth than you.  JBJ for 151 games. Iggy for 150+. Tazawa from day 1.  Give Brentz & Linares every chance to make it at some point this year.

Ben is spending about as much on Dempster and Drew this year as the Angels are paying Josh Hamilton.  Does that make any sense ? 

No. Not likely.

Or even Aceves ? 

Maybe

No, and that is why I would have preferred signing A Sanchez instead of Dempster, Drew, SV and Papi. He'd help us more than the diffferentials between Drew/Iggy, SV/Bradley, and Papi/Gomes-Nava in the now, and he'd still be here, in his prime, long after these guys are gone and dofrgotten.

If you are worried about needing a one year stop gap , it would have been cheaper to keep Aviles. 

You have not been reading my posts. I have wanted Iggy as our starting SS since ST 2012.

Anyway , so much can happen in the next six years. It is premature to start thinking that far ahead. 

It's absurd to totally write off the 7 year future. It's not as far away as you think.

1. I absolutely disagree that we have no chance. There is a lot of talent here. Of course , things have to fall into place. Guys like Ortiz , Ellsbury and Napoli have to stay healthy and productive. That is asking a lot , but it is possible. Lester and Buchholz have to fulfill their potential and become dominant starters. That is also possible. Salty has big time power. He needs to make contact more often. Again , possible. We have a strong and deep bullpen. Always important. Pedroia is a constant. But what can really make the difference is the infusion of youth . We have an exciting young shortstop in Iglesias. The probable rookie of the year in Bradley and an emerging slugger in Middlebrooks. A decent bench, with plenty of depth at Pawtucket to help when needed. And , apparently , a much improved attitude and enthusiasm. You should not be so willing to completely discount our chances. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

No. Not likely.

Or even Aceves ? 

Maybe

1. I absolutely disagree that we have no chance. There is a lot of talent here. Of course , things have to fall into place. Guys like Ortiz , Ellsbury and Napoli have to stay healthy and productive. That is asking a lot , but it is possible. Lester and Buchholz have to fulfill their potential and become dominant starters. That is also possible. Salty has big time power. He needs to make contact more often. Again , possible. We have a strong and deep bullpen. Always important. Pedroia is a constant. But what can really make the difference is the infusion of youth . We have an exciting young shortstop in Iglesias. The probable rookie of the year in Bradley and an emerging slugger in Middlebrooks. A decent bench, with plenty of depth at Pawtucket to help when needed. And , apparently , a much improved attitude and enthusiasm. You should not be so willing to completely discount our chances. 

Our chances for a ring hinge on our pitching. Exactly THREE teams in the past 100 years have won a ring with below average pitching. Our ERA was 12th in the AL last year. I am not sure how we improved our pitching so much that we will now finish in the top half of the AL so as to have a reasonable chance for a ring this year. Maybe you guys who think that this team has improved by more than 13 wins this year can let me know how we have done so. I am satisfied with 13 wins as long as Cherington makes the right moves to improve our chances to compete for a ring in a couple of years.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:

Any team that doesn't play its best players is not worthy of fan support.

Any team that fails to plan for the future has none.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

No. Not likely.

Or even Aceves ? 

Maybe

Our chances for a ring hinge on our pitching. Exactly THREE teams in the past 100 years have won a ring with below average pitching. Our ERA was 12th in the AL last year. I am not sure how we improved our pitching so much that we will now finish in the top half of the AL so as to have a reasonable chance for a ring this year. Maybe you guys who think that this team has improved by more than 13 wins this year can let me know how we have done so. I am satisfied with 13 wins as long as Cherington makes the right moves to improve our chances to compete for a ring in a couple of years.

Respectfully.....

Lester will improve up to 6+ games

Bush will improve up to 6+ games

The remaining 3, if healthy will improve up to 10+  (I know the SR with these 3 is a big ?????.  Tough to predict just how it shakes out, but I think +10 is not at all unrealistic, given the rediculous hodgepodge of misfits plugging holes in that SR last year.)

Our BP is much improved!

Our chemistry is drastically improved

Ells is healthy!

Middy is healthy!

Pedey is healthy!

Doubie should have longer legs

We just might have one of the best OF's in mlb IF..........

JBJ is added to the starting lineup.  

Without Papi, this kid is really our only hope!  I honestly believe that.  Otherwise, it's truly throw in the white towel time......