Jackie Bradley Will Make The Opening Day Roster

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Jackie Bradley Will Make The Opening Day Roster

In response to UnionFallsNY's comment:

Actually if history proves that the Sox save $20 mil. by delaying the clock on JBJ then it will be at the expense of JBJ. However how many mil. will he need to be happy. The Sox will need the $20 mil.  more than JBJ since they have a large, expensive franchise to run while JBJ won't need ten mansions to live in and twenty antique cars.

It's not going to be $20M, unless you think his last arb might be $15M vs the $35M he might get for a 1 year deal after his contract runs out ($20M differential).

It is more likely the differential might be $5-12M. It might be nothing if JBJ fizzles out.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Actually if history proves that the Sox save $20 mil. by delaying the clock on JBJ then it will be at the expense of JBJ. However how many mil. will he need to be happy. The Sox will need the $20 mil.  more than JBJ since they have a large, expensive franchise to run while JBJ won't need ten mansions to live in and twenty antique cars.

It's not going to be $20M, unless you think his last arb might be $15M vs the $35M he might get for a 1 year deal after his contract runs out ($20M differential).

It is more likely the differential might be $5-12M. It might be nothing if JBJ fizzles out.

but no matter how much money is involved it should be done. 11 games is worth the "risk"and the potantial gain is HUGE.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Our pen is better, but it did a fine job last year, even being over-worked. It might be hard to make a huge improvement over the very decent pen of 2012.

I disagree.  Overall, the 2012 pen was not that good.  Our middle relievers like Tazawa, Atchison et al were very good.  But the back end of the pen was a disaster.  We had the worst save % in the league.  The 3 guys who were slotted as closers, Aceves, Melancon and Bailey, were all terrible.  Only in low-leverage situations did the pen put up good numbers.

There is definitely significant room for improvement in the pen. 

Our pen did a very good job last year.

It was 10th in MLB by WAR, but pitched the 3rd most innings out of the top 13 WAR team pens. All this with the 14th worst BAbip at .291 (poor D behind them?) 12th best ERA (4th in AL).

Missing Papelbon and Bard, and Aceves thrust into an unfamiliar role aside, we still did pretty good.

It wasn't just Tazawa and Atchison.

Padilla did very well, until the end (3.94 in 1st half& 4.00 in July). Andrew Miller did a fantastic job, especially against LHBs. Morales (3.23). Hill (1.83). Albers (2.29). Breslow (2.70). Mortensen (3.21).

I certainly like our 2013 pen better, and some of these guys are back. I love the Uehara signing. Hanrahan is a plus. Bailey is back. Bard???

I like what I see, but we were good last year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

In response to Drewski5's comment:

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

Worst case scnario: He struggles through April and into May. Bradley is then sent to Pawtucket to work some things out once Papi returns. 

If that is worst case scenario, I ask: why the heck not?

I personally think that 11 games w/out Papi in the lineup is worth more than 20 games w/ Papi in the lineup.  We need him right now. 

I don't have a problem with starting JBJ now and sending him down later.

But, we both know who will have a problem with it.

I dont know if you are referring to Bil-806 or Jackie Bradley Jr himself.  Both would have problems with it, haha.

I'm not so sure JBJ would have a problem with it. The kid seems to have a pretty good head on his shoulders. Bill-806 and softlaw on the other hand...

If JBJ doesn't understand the business side of baseball yet (and I think he's does, he hired Boras, after all), now is a good time to learn.

And you were spot on about the other two.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I also think that referring to the 2012 team as a 69 win team is misleading.  Take our winning % prior to Papi's injury and extrapolate that over 162.  I dont know what that number is , but its higher than 69.

The biggest factor in 2013 (just like 2012) will be David Ortiz.

Drew, many of the 69 wins were from before the trade. The team after the trade, even with Papi, might not have won 69 games over a full season. Now, add Middlebrooks and a healthy Ellsbury and it's a different story, but we can't keep projecting total health to occur. (Not saying you are. You know better.)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

but no matter how much money is involved it should be done. 11 games is worth the "risk"and the potantial gain is HUGE.

I agree. Although we will almost always be near the luxury limit, every dollar counts. What amazes me the most about this argument is that the posters who think Ben is an idiot, want to limit his budget (or the next "incompetent GM) 7 years from now. Since. according to them, we will continue to have mistake contracts until there is a regime change, a "buffer zone" is needed to help Ben get lucky on an extra signing or two.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

I agree. Although we will almost always be near the luxury limit, every dollar counts. What amazes me the most about this argument is that the posters who think Ben is an idiot, want to limit his budget (or the next "incompetent GM) 7 years from now. Since. according to them, we will continue to have mistake contracts until there is a regime change, a "buffer zone" is needed to help Ben get lucky on an extra signing or two.

We may be looking a little too much into "long term" economics. In the near term, tickets are not selling:

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/9099678/sellout-boston-red-sox-offer-cheaper-beer-dogs

Another factor is to ask yourself if this ownership group will be around in 6 -7 years. They may want the "sexy" players on the field now. If JBJ stays hot, he may sell tickets. You have to agree that it is a more exciting team with JBJ than without him, especially with Papi out.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to 808soxfan's comment:

We may be looking a little too much into "long term" economics. In the near term, tickets are not selling:

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/9099678/sellout-boston-red-sox-offer-cheaper-beer-dogs

Another factor is to ask yourself if this ownership group will be around in 6 -7 years. They may want the "sexy" players on the field now. If JBJ stays hot, he may sell tickets. You have to agree that it is a more exciting team with JBJ than without him, especially with Papi out.

I started a thread weeks ago about how much more exciting a team with JBJ, Iggy, Tazawa, and Brentz or Linares would have been as compared to the one we will have.

I'm all for Bradley... minus 11 days.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

He could spend 11 days in th minors and still have enough playing time to be considered ROY depending upon his hitting and impadct he has with the team. Opening day rosters sometimes never equate to rosters that finish the season. There are way too many things that can happen in a 6 month time period.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

$176 mil. is the RS payroll at the moment for 2013

Sick.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Sick.

176 million doesnt buy what it use to

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Softlaw, are you the old  Softlaw, softlaw1, LesPaul, HankWilliamsJr, and others? As Carnie and J-Bay would say " Why the need for multiple, concurrent, duplicative monikers? How many other alias's do you have in reserve? Why not just stick to one identity?

Absolutely not!  He needs to create "characters" for the sarcastic posts and not break character while posting under the monikers.  The Bobby the Brain Heena- esque denials under the moniker Toccoa were some of the best comments I've ever read on BDC.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Softlaw, are you the old  Softlaw, softlaw1, LesPaul, HankWilliamsJr, and others? As Carnie and J-Bay would say " Why the need for multiple, concurrent, duplicative monikers? How many other alias's do you have in reserve? Why not just stick to one identity?

Absolutely not!  He needs to create "characters" for the sarcastic posts and not break character while posting under the monikers.  The Bobby the Brain Heena- esque denials under the moniker Toccoa were some of the best comments I've ever read on this thread.

Softlaw's mind is awesome.  As is yours.

Im still giggling over the "I cant speak for Softlaw" comments under the Toccoa moniker.  He wasnt trying to lie, he was just in character.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Bradley would and should have a problem with it, even though he won't say it publicly. The fact that a lot of fans doen't have a problem with it shows what loser Red Sox fans have become as management's sheep.

Like I said earlier...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

And I thought softlaw reserved his vitriol for labor, not management.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sick.

176 million doesnt buy what it use to

It does for other teams.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's for "non"plausible deniability.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Sick.

I have no idea where he's getting the $176 million from.  Cot's Contracts has us at $154 million actual payroll including the $4 million to the Dodgers.  If we're talking luxury tax payroll, which includes a bunch of other amounts, the last number I saw was around $170 million.