Jacoby/Bradley/Nava question

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Jacoby/Bradley/Nava question

Ells isn't hitting HR's but he has his OBP up to .361 and average close to 300.  How would you feel about losing Nap next season and trying to re-sign Ells if he continues good health and the solid OBP? 

Imagine Bradley/Ells and Victorino covering ground out there with Nava our full time 1B.  Or do some feel Bogy will find a spot in the OF at some point?

2014 Lineup?

Ellsbury CF

Victorino RF

Pedroia 2B

Papi DH

Middy/Checchini/Snyder/Bogy 3B – Still and unknown at this point

Nava 1B

Salty/Lav/Ross/other C?

Bradley LF

Iglesias SS

Not enough power?  Nap hasn't exactly given us what we expected so far but has driven in runs.  He has also missed a lot of opportunities and SO too much. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Jacoby/Bradley/Nava question

In response to craze4sox's comment:

Ells isn't hitting HR's but he has his OBP up to .361 and average close to 300.  How would you feel about losing Nap next season and trying to re-sign Ells if he continues good health and the solid OBP? 

Imagine Bradley/Ells and Victorino covering ground out there with Nava our full time 1B.  Or do some feel Bogy will find a spot in the OF at some point?

2014 Lineup?

Ellsbury CF

Victorino RF

Pedroia 2B

Papi DH

Middy/Checchini/Snyder/Bogy 3B – Still and unknown at this point

Nava 1B

Salty/Lav/Ross/other C?

Bradley LF

Iglesias SS

Not enough power?  Nap hasn't exactly given us what we expected so far but has driven in runs.  He has also missed a lot of opportunities and SO too much. 

As DAD would say..........  "SON, I like your thinking, the posters will think that you are as crazy as my own BILL-806"  !!!!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The re-signing Ellsbury debate has been raging for months and months.

It won't be easy finding a cheap .360+ OBP solution to the CF position next year, but I hope we don't pay the market rate for Ellsbury.

I think next year's OF might look like this:

LF: Carp/Gomes (Nava)

CF: Victorino/JBJ

RF: Nava/Brentz

Longshots: Hazelbaker, Hassan, Jacobs, or de la Cruz 

I doubt Napoli comes back either.

We have Carp, Nava, Snyder, and probably a converted Middlebrooks for 2014. (Assuming Bogaerts is groomed to play 3B next year, or we we pick up a bridge 3Bman or corner IF'er.

Further down the road, we have Cecchini (who may push Bogaerts to 1B or be moved their himself), Almanzar, and longshot Travis Shaw (Player of the Week).

Sox4ever

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Nap hasn't exactly given us what we expected so far but has driven in runs.  He has also missed a lot of opportunities and SO too much. 

Men on Base (80+ PAs)

1) Ortiz   1.024

2) Nava   .863

3) Napoli .832

4) Pedey .823

5) Gomes .812

6) Ellsbury .793

7) Victorino .757

8) Salty    .738

9) Drew  .693

10) Midd .552

RISP (50+ PAs):

1) Ortiz  1.064

2) Nava   .887

3) Vict    .796

4) Nap   .782

5) Ells    .769

6) Pedey .761

7) Drew  .660

8) Midd   .652

9) Salty  .617

Late & Close (35+ PAs)

1) Gomes   .938

2) Salty       .829

3) Pedey    .788

4) Ortiz      .785

5) Nava     .764

6) Ellsb    .749

7) Midd    .635

8) Nap     .635

9) Drew  .540

High Leverage (35+):

1) Ortiz   1.139

2) Gomes .992

3) Pedey  .881

4) Nap      .811

5) Ellsb    .762

6) Nava   .754

7) Drew  .581

8) Salty  .492

9) Midd   .484

Sox4ever

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

It won't be easy finding a cheap .360+ OBP solution to the CF position next year, but I hope we don't pay the market rate for Ellsbury.

We have Carp, Nava, Snyder, and probably a converted Middlebrooks for 2014. (Assuming Bogaerts is groomed to play 3B next year, or we we pick up a bridge 3Bman or corner IF'er.

Further down the road, we have Cecchini (who may push Bogaerts to 1B or be moved their himself), Almanzar, and longshot Travis Shaw (Player of the Week).

Sox4ever

Thats a pretty questionable OF next season moon, especially the way Victorino gets hurt.  Trying to re-sign Ells might be a good idea but I'm thinking some team will offer much more than we will if he finishes strong.  I wouldn't have given Ells leaving a second thought a month or two ago. 

It would be nice but probably wishful thinking to hope Brentz and/or Bradley contribute enough without taking a step backwards.  One "short term" alternative may be a guy like McLouth if he's available but outside of that a trade might be necessary. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

Thats a pretty questionable OF next season moon, especially the way Victorino gets hurt.  Trying to re-sign Ells might be a good idea but I'm thinking some team will offer much more than we will if he finishes strong.  I wouldn't have given Ells leaving a second thought a month or two ago. 

It would be nice but probably wishful thinking to hope Brentz and/or Bradley contribute enough without taking a step backwards.  One "short term" alternative may be a guy like McLouth if he's available but outside of that a trade might be necessary. 

[/QUOTE]

I think we'll sign an OF'er this winter- one that can play CF. It just won't be Ellsbury. Perhaps I am in a minority, but I have faith in Bradley being ready next season, at least as a back-up.

I think a lot depends on our 1B/3B situation. If we get a top quality hitter there, then maybe we can suffer a decline in our OF.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Nap hasn't exactly given us what we expected so far but has driven in runs.  He has also missed a lot of opportunities and SO too much. 

Men on Base (80+ PAs)

1) Ortiz   1.024

2) Nava   .863

3) Napoli .832

4) Pedey .823

5) Gomes .812

6) Ellsbury .793

7) Victorino .757

8) Salty    .738

9) Drew  .693

10) Midd .552

RISP (50+ PAs):

1) Ortiz  1.064

2) Nava   .887

3) Vict    .796

4) Nap   .782

5) Ells    .769

6) Pedey .761

7) Drew  .660

8) Midd   .652

9) Salty  .617

Late & Close (35+ PAs)

1) Gomes   .938

2) Salty       .829

3) Pedey    .788

4) Ortiz      .785

5) Nava     .764

6) Ellsb    .749

7) Midd    .635

8) Nap     .635

9) Drew  .540

High Leverage (35+):

1) Ortiz   1.139

2) Gomes .992

3) Pedey  .881

4) Nap      .811

5) Ellsb    .762

6) Nava   .754

7) Drew  .581

8) Salty  .492

9) Midd   .484

Sox4ever

I tend to forget Mike is still around his career stats even with all the SO and runners left on base.  I just think we may need an OF more than Nap at 1B next season.  Along with those you mentioned Cecchini could even end up at 1B once his splits level out

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I don't think Nava hits nearly enough to play 1B.  If Ellsbury is gone I think he deserves the keys to left field but can we PLEASE pump thebreaks on Cecchini....he just got promoted to AA for sciences sake. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

I don't think Nava hits nearly enough to play 1B.  If Ellsbury is gone I think he deserves the keys to left field but can we PLEASE pump thebreaks on Cecchini....he just got promoted to AA for sciences sake. 

I agree Cecchini's splits have a long way to go and even Bogy has yet to hit at the AAA level.  As far as Nava in LF, he has earned it but I think he could be a more than adequate 1B if he played there every day and worked with Butterfield.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I did say "further down the road"

on Cecchini, and that means at the earliest 2015. He is 22.

He is our 4th rated prospect according to soxprospects.com

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to darrylfries's comment:

Watched Cecchini  play a couple weeks ago in two games against Lynchburg                

Handles the bet better than any minor league I've seen even AAA.. Very patient hitter looks for his pitch highest OBP since Boggs. ssd  My guess is we'll see him in two years at most maybe earlier. Not sure but he may be headed for DH or IB not a great glove yet .

Every year is a crap shoot with kids, look at Middy and Iggy who basically swapped places offensively in less than a year.  Who knows how either will do next season, never mind Bradley, Bogy and Cecchini.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

If we look for a stop gap 1b option next year, Cory Hart, who just had season ending surgery, might take a make good deal with the Sox to play 1b full time for 1 year...Just throwing that out there.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hwaiting. Show Hwaiting's posts

I'm leaning more nd more towards the Sox signing Ells to come back, if it makes sense.  What is there in the outfield?  Got some kids in the pipe, but only really one sure thing.  And yes, Bogaerts could be moved to the outfield, but there is currently a hole on the left side of the infield that we are not sure, how and when it will stabilize again.  Now you've got reports that WMB is being dangled as trade bait. I am not sure I believe the Sox would dump him that quick, and this low value though, that just does not make good sense to me.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

If we look for a stop gap 1b option next year, Cory Hart, who just had season ending surgery, might take a make good deal with the Sox to play 1b full time for 1 year...Just throwing that out there.

I'm not a huge Hart fan southpaw but thats just me.  Some people also forget Salty has played 1B and could be used there/C while we bring youngsters around.  He would also be a cheap option and everyone Butterfield seems to help defensively usually improves.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Napoli..... everything BurritoT told you all he would be.  Too bad he didn't get that 3 year deal you all wanted so badly for him.

Truthfully though he is headed for 100 ribbies.... so who cares if he only hits the 21-26 homers? Does it matter? 'Gotta have power, gotta have power' chants the drones.

Napoli had a great start when Papi was out.  Since that time he hasn't been the same guy but thats the kind of hitter he is "very streaky" so he could still end up with 100 RBI's.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

The Sox are making a big mistake if they dont resign Ellsbury.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Boggy not hitting? Hes been pretty much bashing the ball in Pawtucket.  If Boggy is ready and we keep Iglesias at short I think we talk about putting WMB at 1st.  Unless of course boggy moves to LF.  

I found it interesting that WMB is helping the Xan man learn 3B down in Pawtucket.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Boggy not hitting? Hes been pretty much bashing the ball in Pawtucket.  If Boggy is ready and we keep Iglesias at short I think we talk about putting WMB at 1st.  Unless of course boggy moves to LF.  

I found it interesting that WMB is helping the Xan man learn 3B down in Pawtucket.

Bogy is only at 250 and was worse than that a couple days ago.  Am I missing something?  No disrespect intended Hugh I have only seen him play once since being promoted.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

I'd love to keep Ellsbury , if could be done at reasonable cost, less than $ 14 mil / year for 4 yrs. Even would try offering a one year pillow should he wish to try re-establishing long term value.

But if we kept Ells, I'm pretty sure we wouldn't start Bradley and Victorino at the other spots. just not enough power from corner of spots. Bradley really hasn't demonstrated enough with the bat yet, IMO. My long range projection for JBJr. is basically Brett Butler with more arm.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

Bogy is only at 250 and was worse than that a couple days ago.  Am I missing something?  No disrespect intended Hugh I have only seen him play once since being promoted.

[/QUOTE]

SSS.  Look at the power numbers

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

SSS.  Look at the power numbers

Always nice to see but his OBP and BA may be more important.  I like the way Bradley has managed to keep up the numbers, once Bogy does it shouldn't be long before he arrives. 

I think he will but not quite there yet but looking at Iggy's minor league numbers who knows?

25. This post has been removed.