Jacoby Ellsbury back on top with Sox-Everything works out

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Jacoby Ellsbury back on top with Sox-Everything works out

By Scott Lauber/Boston Herald:

A few days before he left Phoenix and joined the Red Sox [team stats] for spring training, Jacoby Ellsbury [stats] told his physical therapist to circle July 12 on her calendar.

“He said, ‘Hopefully, you’ll see me back in Arizona for the All-Star Game,’ ” Anna Hartman said yesterday.

Right now, that appears to be a solid bet. As the Red Sox open a three-game series at Yankee Stadium in New York tonight, Ellsbury is batting .299, with 18 doubles, six homers and a league-leading 22 steals. The Sox are averaging 4.9 runs per game, and for that, their leadoff-hitting center fielder is every bit as responsible as middle-of-the-order sluggers Adrian Gonzalez and David Ortiz [stats].

It’s almost been enough to erase the misery Ellsbury went through last season.

By now, the details have been well-documented. A knee to the midsection in a collision with then-third baseman Adrian Beltre left Ellsbury with at least five cracked ribs. And despite multiple attempts to come back, he played in only 18 games and had his toughness roundly questioned, even by a few teammates.

So, when Ellsbury showed up in her office two days after the regular season ended, Hartman wasn’t sure what to expect.

“I was anticipating he would be a little down about things and that you’d have to be there for him from a mental standpoint,” Hartman said. “It was completely the opposite. He came in and said, ‘Let’s get after it.’ If I hadn’t known before what kind of season he had, I wouldn’t have ever known.”

And for the next four months, she oversaw the rebuilding of Jacoby Ellsbury.

Six days a week, beginning in early October, Ellsbury reported to the Phoenix-based Athletes’ Performance, and in concert with the Red Sox training staff and agent Scott Boras’ office, Hartman put him on a program to rebuild his core without rattling his ribs.

As the bones healed, Ellsbury began more intense exercises to stimulate “trunk stability and thoracic mobility,” Hartman said. Soon, he added a shoulder strengthening program, and by December, after getting cleared by doctors, he was doing rotational exercises that preceded swinging a bat in January.

“Jacoby is a player who is very inquisitive,” said Steve Odgers, executive director of the California-based Boras Sports Training Institute. “He wants to make sure he’s doing the right things and doing the right things well. We had a lot of dialogue. He wanted to know what were the most appropriate steps to take to come back from this.”

Ellsbury’s goal was simple: He wanted to be ready to play from the moment he reported to spring training. While most players pace themselves during the workouts before the Grapefruit League schedule begins, he didn’t want to waste any time in Fort Myers.

The most difficult part, especially for an athlete with track-star speed, was taking it slowly enough that his ribs healed properly before he intensified his workouts. There were times, Hartman said, when she had to pull back the reins.

“I had to get back to where I was, and then, from there, I could start getting into my strength training and all that,” Ellsbury said. “That was the biggest challenge, just starting in a position where I’m not even at where I normally am. There was no time to rest, no time to waste.”

And so, Ellsbury didn’t make vacation plans. When the holidays rolled around, he flew his family to Arizona rather than return to his native Oregon, which would have necessitated missing physical therapy and training sessions.

“His physical therapy visits were up in the 60s and 70s, and he had less than five days missed,” said Hartman, who has worked with Ellsbury for four years. “You can’t ask for better compliance. He was here on Saturdays, even days that weren’t official therapy days. It was really cool to see.”

And now, the Red Sox [team stats] are seeing the results. Ellsbury started slowly, batting .182 with a .262 on-base percentage through 17 games and getting dropped to the bottom of the lineup by manager Terry Francona.

But since being reinstated in the leadoff spot April 22, Ellsbury is batting .337 with a .391 on-base percentage and 30 runs scored. He has at least one hit in 36 of the last 42 games.

Ellsbury insists he never doubted he would regain his health and resume being the dynamic player who stole 70 bases in 2009. And Hartman said Ellsbury projected that confidence before he left Arizona.

“By the end of January, he said, ‘I feel so good. My posture, everything, just feels so good. I haven’t felt this good since I was 12 years old,’ ” Hartman said. “What a great thing to say. All that work, to see it pay off, that’s awesome to see athletes do that.”

And it may just lead him back to Arizona next month.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Jacoby Ellsbury back on top with Sox-Everything works out

Pretty tough-minded for a soft jitterbug, no?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Jacoby Ellsbury back on top with Sox-Everything works out:
    [QUOTE]Pretty tough-minded for a soft jitterbug, no?
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Jacoby has always had the talent and confidence like many of our younsters off the farm.  I give a lot of credit to our organization for developing so many "major league ready" players.  There is no better feeling for me to see a kid come through our own system and succeed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jacoby Ellsbury back on top with Sox-Everything works out : Jacoby has always had the talent and confidence like many of our younsters off the farm.  I give a lot of credit to our organization for developing so many "major league ready" players.  There is no better feeling for me to see a kid come through the our own system and succeed.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

No doubt Craze.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

That's some junket! 

-Daf. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]That's some junket!  -Daf. 
    Posted by DaffyDan[/QUOTE]
    Tongue out

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jacoby Ellsbury back on top with Sox-Everything works out :

Jacoby is playing "All Star" calibar baseball for sure.  He still needs to learn to hit a bit more to the opposite field but he is getting on base and making things happen. 

That's enough for me out of the leadoff.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I always thought that Arizona was the right place for him last season.  The problem with sitting on the bench is that it provides very little benefit to a rehabbing player.  I argued last year that Pedroia staying on the bench was a mistake, and I still think so.  I am a huge Pedroia fan and appreciate his great, great loyalty to the team and his teammates, but don't think he did himself any good.

I'm not sure where the All-Star stuff comes in this year.  Ellsbury has a shot, of course, but so do a lot of other outfielders.  It's good that he set himself a goal like that, however. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]I always thought that Arizona was the right place for him last season.  The problem with sitting on the bench is that it provides very little benefit to a rehabbing player.  I argued last year that Pedroia staying on the bench was a mistake, and I still think so.  I am a huge Pedroia fan and appreciate his great, great loyalty to the team and his teammates, but don't think he did himself any good. I'm not sure where the All-Star stuff comes in this year.  Ellsbury has a shot, of course, but so do a lot of other outfielders.  It's good that he set himself a goal like that, however. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  If Jacoby had to mitigate the intensive rehab broken ribs require with the grueling travel and time commitment of staying with the club, I doubt he would have been good to go for ST.  What Softy insisted was Jacoby being a lazy primadonna was in fact just the opposite.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

The debate regarding Ellsbury to me has always been kind of silly. Some of it was rooted in the expectations his electric emergence in 2007 created, part of it at least here on BDC was obsessive by a serial poster.

Last year was frustrating for the fans and the organization a like and when Ellsbury could not recovery from the rib fractures and began questioning the RS medical staff, the media and many fans went after the player hard. It did not help that his agent is a proactive figure that gets the big bucks for his clients either.

Now Ellsbury will never be TS Williams, he isn't going to be Rickey Henderson who had a career .401 OBP to go with the best base stealing skills in the history of the game. But he is impact player on any roster.

He may not be a great defender but you don't have to "hide" him in the field. He was called up early but he had always been a high OBP guy at every level and in every full season he has played he has improved. He is arguably the best base stealer in the game.

Until or unless somebody flat falls out of bed on a trade Ellsbury will be here and making a positive impact through his arbitration years.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]I always thought that Arizona was the right place for him last season.  The problem with sitting on the bench is that it provides very little benefit to a rehabbing player.  I argued last year that Pedroia staying on the bench was a mistake, and I still think so.  I am a huge Pedroia fan and appreciate his great, great loyalty to the team and his teammates, but don't think he did himself any good. I'm not sure where the All-Star stuff comes in this year.  Ellsbury has a shot, of course, but so do a lot of other outfielders.  It's good that he set himself a goal like that, however. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

Hey max,

The thing I really love about Jacoby this season is how he has responded to lasts years "unwarranted" bashing after getting run over by Beltre.  It takes time for ribs to heal and he is playing as hard as ever this season to prove those doubters wrong.  He is tough, just like Pede, Youk and others we are fortunate to have here.  A guy doesn't come out every game, run and play hard without any fear of diving, or running into something without mental toughness.

Abreu has always been a soft OF, not Jacoby and I tend to agree with you on Pede.  Like Jacoby he wanted to come back ASAP and may not have been fully ready physically.  Dustin will be fine, no ne4ed to worry.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

This is a propaganda fluff piece from Boras. Because Bellsbury is current at .300 and OBP at .360, it was low .290's and in the low .350's just a week or two ago, this story is designed to tap into fan sentiment. It's stilted and poorly written.

Everything about this is Boras. Bellsbury was a prima donna who took a year off and worked on getting ready for his big FA day. Nothing about the injury amounted to a year off. When he did come back, with Boras' selected Dr.'s approval, he lasted only a few days because he got off to a poor start and they decided to shut it down and market 2010 as an injury year and build for 2011. It's all about the money and Boras. Red Sox fans need to understand that the team benefits from advanced planning to move on and sell high on cases like this. 

Boras told me that, against LHP, Bellsbury's ribs still hurt which explain his weak 2011 numbers v. LHP. He said that by the end of 2013, he will be hitting over .360 and slugging over 1.0 v. LHP. He also told me to read the article he wrote, above.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]The debate regarding Ellsbury to me has always been kind of silly. Some of it was rooted in the expectations his electric emergence in 2007 created, part of it at least here on BDC was obsessive by a serial poster. Last year was frustrating for the fans and the organization a like and when Ellsbury could not recovery from the rib fractures and began questioning the RS medical staff, the media and many fans went after the player hard. It did not help that his agent is a proactive figure that gets the big bucks for his clients either. Now Ellsbury will never be TS Williams, he isn't going to be Rickey Henderson who had a career .401 OBP to go with the best base stealing skills in the history of the game. But he is impact player on any roster. He may not be a great defender but you don't have to "hide" him in the field. He was called up early but he had always been a high OBP guy at every level and in every full season he has played he has improved. He is arguably the best base stealer in the game. Until or unless somebody flat falls out of bed on a trade Ellsbury will be here and making a positive impact through his arbitration years.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

the only "debate" really on Ellsbury, outside of last year's frustrations, was the vast majority here who see Ellsbury for who he is vs. Softy's bizarre hate.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jacoby Ellsbury back on top with Sox-Everything works out : the only "debate" really on Ellsbury, outside of last year's frustrations, was the vast majority here who see Ellsbury for who he is vs. Softy's bizarre hate.  

Who is softy Spaceman?  I have a guy at work that bad mouthed Jacoby all last season.  He seems to be pretty quiet these days, the new complaint is Crawford.  I think he may be in for another enlightening experience.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

This is a propaganda fluff piece from Boras. Because Bellsbury is current at .300 and OBP at .360, it was low .290's and in the low .350's just a week or two ago, this story is designed to tap into fan sentiment. It's stilted and poorly written.

Everything about this is Boras. Bellsbury was a prima donna who took a year off and worked on getting ready for his big FA day. Nothing about the injury amounted to a year off. When he did come back, with Boras' selected Dr.'s approval, he lasted only a few days because he got off to a poor start and they decided to shut it down and market 2010 as an injury year and build for 2011. It's all about the money and Boras. Red Sox fans need to understand that the team benefits from advanced planning to move on and sell high on cases like this. 

Boras told me that, against LHP, Bellsbury's ribs still hurt which explain his weak 2011 numbers v. LHP. He said that by the end of 2013, he will be hitting over .360 and slugging over 1.0 v. LHP. He also told me to read the article he wrote, above.

Note: Carl Crawford 2011 BA .248 OBP .286 SLG .389

Carl Crawford has been caught stealing 33% of the time, and has averages less than 4 steals a month.

Crawford is getting paid over 20 million for this season. Inepstein's pay should be setoff to cover some of the 20 million, and he should leave in a Bozo the clown suit.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]This is a propaganda fluff piece from Boras. Because Bellsbury is current at .300 and OBP at .360, it was low .290's and in the low .350's just a week or two ago, this story is designed to tap into fan sentiment. It's stilted and poorly written. Everything about this is Boras. Bellsbury was a prima donna who took a year off and worked on getting ready for his big FA day. Nothing about the injury amounted to a year off. When he did come back, with Boras' selected Dr.'s approval, he lasted only a few days because he got off to a poor start and they decided to shut it down and market 2010 as an injury year and build for 2011. It's all about the money and Boras. Red Sox fans need to understand that the team benefits from advanced planning to move on and sell high on cases like this.  Boras told me that, against LHP, Bellsbury's ribs still hurt which explain his weak 2011 numbers v. LHP. He said that by the end of 2013, he will be hitting over .360 and slugging over 1.0 v. LHP. He also told me to read the article he wrote, above. Note: Carl Crawford 2011 BA .248 OBP .286 SLG .389 Carl Crawford has been caught stealing 33% of the time, and has averages less than 4 steals a month. Crawford is getting paid over 20 million for this season. Inepstein's pay should be setoff to cover some of the 20 million, and he should leave in a Bozo the clown suit.
    Posted by betterredthandead[/QUOTE]

Sounds like another Softy incarnation to me!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

You can't know that Crawford didn't sign with the higest bidder, Jim, so get your nose back off the glass.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

"betterredthandead" misspells Ellsbury's name on purpose, calling him "Bellsbury". I guess that's his idea of cleverness, but to me it makes him sound like a real jerk!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jacoby Ellsbury back on top with Sox-Everything works out : Who is softy Spaceman?  I have a guy at work that bad mouthed Jacoby all last season.  He seems to be pretty quiet these days, the new complaint is Crawford.  I think he may be in for another enlightening experience.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

Craze - Softy (Softlaw) is the poster currently known as Betterredthandead.  he has to keep generating new screennames because he has a knack for getting banned.  but, what certainly doesn't change is his line of attack.  he hates Ellsbury, Lowrie and Wakefield and will trash them and bash them at every turn as if they slept with his mama.  Its really amazing.  Especially Ellsbury.  He got really bunched up when all the hype about Ells kicked up in late 07.  Even when reality set in in 08 and the hype died down, Softy couldn't let it go.  Strange.  He's probably had 10,000 posts since then, and 9900 have been trashing Ellsbury.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

If only critics of DiceK, Oki and Ortiz got banned. Who would be left? Almost no one.

I certainly hope that I don't get banned like the other posters who have posted viewpoints that aren't allowed because of the viewpoint. I don't think banning involves a "knack", I think it's based upon viewpoint and the counterpoint to assert to other popular viewpoints. Kind of a ratings issue, perhaps, at best.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Was Lauber open ears and open access to Scott Boras? You betcha!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]If only critics of DiceK, Oki and Ortiz got banned. Who would be left? Almost no one. I certainly hope that I don't get banned like the other posters who have posted viewpoints that aren't allowed because of the viewpoint. I don't think banning involves a "knack", I think it's based upon viewpoint and the counterpoint to assert to other popular viewpoints. Kind of a ratings issue, perhaps, at best.
     You really think you get banned because of your criticism of Ellsbury, Lowrie or Wake?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

I haven't been banned. I think those that get banned are for reasons that are based strictly upon viewpoint, popular and acceptable or unpopular and unacceptable, nothing else. In other words, the basic underpinning behind most acts of censorship.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

[QUOTE]This is a propaganda fluff piece from Boras. Because Bellsbury is current at .300 and OBP at .360, it was low .290's and in the low .350's just a week or two ago, this story is designed to tap into fan sentiment. It's stilted and poorly written. Everything about this is Boras. Bellsbury was a prima donna who took a year off and worked on getting ready for his big FA day. Nothing about the injury amounted to a year off. When he did come back, with Boras' selected Dr.'s approval, he lasted only a few days because he got off to a poor start and they decided to shut it down and market 2010 as an injury year and build for 2011. It's all about the money and Boras. Red Sox fans need to understand that the team benefits from advanced planning to move on and sell high on cases like this.  Boras told me that, against LHP, Bellsbury's ribs still hurt which explain his weak 2011 numbers v. LHP. He said that by the end of 2013, he will be hitting over .360 and slugging over 1.0 v. LHP. He also told me to read the article he wrote, above. Note: Carl Crawford 2011 BA .248 OBP .286 SLG .389 Carl Crawford has been caught stealing 33% of the time, and has averages less than 4 steals a month. Crawford is getting paid over 20 million for this season. Inepstein's pay should be setoff to cover some of the 20 million, and he should leave in a Bozo the clown suit.

SoxSoldRed is dead! 

And so is everything he's ever said. 

Long live betterredthandead! 

Until they delete EVERYTHING he's ever said. 

-Daf. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]I haven't been banned. I think those that get banned are for reasons that are based strictly upon viewpoint, popular and acceptable or unpopular and unacceptable, nothing else. In other words, the basic underpinning behind most acts of censorship.
    Uhuh, it has nothing to do with personal attacks and name calling that you make upon other posters. Good to see you remade an account so fast though! />.>

Sections
Shortcuts