Jacoby Ellsbury is the best CF in the AL and may be the best in the game today.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Re: Jacoby Ellsbury is the best CF in the AL and may be the best in the game today.

In Response to Re: Jacoby Ellsbury is the best CF in the AL and may be the best in the game today.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jacoby Ellsbury is the best CF in the AL and may be the best in the game today. : Now if you just knew how to spell.
    Posted by The---Babe---[/QUOTE]

Awww...is someone having a bad day?

You don't even want to know the number of ridiculous mistakes you, personally, have made in your own attempts at authorship.

Check your own posts once in a while.  You've only written, what, 59?  You've made errors in more than 10 of those. And the thing is, you rarely write more than about 20 words per post.  Pretty bad, Babe, pretty bad.

See if you can figure out where your mistakes came.  It's time you put that middle school diploma to good use, Babe. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Re: Jacoby Ellsbury is the best CF in the AL and may be the best in the game today.

Jacoby Ellsbury is the best CF

welcome back spc

thanks for the chuckle

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Babe, it is "Jim Davis"  not "jim davis".  Proper nouns get capitalized.  Come on, man, let's get this right.  Do I have to keep correcting you?  Tongue out

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Re: Jacoby Ellsbury is the best CF in the AL and may be the best in the game today.:
    [QUOTE]At the beginning of last year, he was the worst CF in the game and Mike Cameron was to be our savior, according to many on this board. He still has a lot to learn about playing the OF, as he relies much more on his speed than on instincts but that will come. What he really needs work on is his base running. He needs to be much more relaxed and more aggressive. Right now, he sticks to first base like it's his security blanket, and does not know how to get a lead. He should be running on the first or second pitch when he gets on, especisally against a RH pitcher, and is costing Pedroia too many strikes. You can see Pedey taking pitches so Ells can run but lately, he hasn't been. Does anyone else see it that way?
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Ellsbury is among the best, if not the best base stealer in the game today. Not sure I'm buying that he's tentitive or that he doesn't get a good lead. What you and I don't know is what the coaches are calling for, the straight steal or hit and run...When Ell's is on first and Pedrioa's at the plate. If he simply runs on the first pitch, it negates the advantage that Pedrioa gains by having the first baseman holding him on and in case you haven't noticed, Pedrioa swings at the first pitch in less than 1% of his at bats with Ells on or not and every pitcher in the game know that too. The best time to hit and run is when you're ahead in the count where the statical probably of a fastball increases, so if the pitcher throws a strike on the first pitch and Pedrioa just watches it sail past him, falling behind 0-1 the advantage is on the side of the catcher making a good throw to second and increases thier chances to throw out Ellsbury...Also if Ells runs on the first pitch, with Pedrioa taking, Pedey then cannot take advantage of the middle infielders moving to cover the bag, opening up holes on the left or rightside depending on who's covering...what also has to be factored into the equasion is that if Ell's steals second and they get Pedrioa, it'll take Gonzalez bat away from him because with first base open, they'd likely pitch around him. sometimes stealing second is not the best play...otherwise Ell's would challenge the all time mark in a single season if he straight steals everytime he's on first...

That's how I see it....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

It does my heart good to see Ells silencing his critics, many of whom are Red Sox fans. It is just so in your face, you were very, very wrong about him. Softy continues to eat crow on almost a nightly basis, which just puts a huge smile on my face every time Ells gets on, hits a homer. goes 3-5, steals a base, and plays almost every game kick starting the potent Red Sox lineup. The so very sad and frankly a huge demonstration of nether world character, Softy can't just say "Hey all, I was wrong...really" and move onto another target. But being the troll his is, he simply cannot.

Is Ells the "best" CFer in the game right now? Most likely not, but right in the top.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jacoby Ellsbury is the best CF in the AL and may be the best in the game today. : Most of those guys arent CFers?
    Posted by BosoxJoe5[/QUOTE]

No, most still are; on Yahoo MLB Stats, I picked CFers, and it gave me all that play there part time as well; the only non-fulltime CFers above him in that list are Beltran and Carlos Gonzalez.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jacoby Ellsbury is the best CF in the AL and may be the best in the game today. : There's nothing proper about jim davis, although I could think of a few nouns that he is.

LOL, everybody believes you.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jacoby Ellsbury is the best CF in the AL and may be the best in the game today. : Awww...is someone having a bad day? You don't even want to know the number of ridiculous mistakes you, personally, have made in your own attempts at authorship. Check your own posts once in a while.  You've only written, what, 59?  You've made errors in more than 10 of those. And the thing is, you rarely write more than about 20 words per post.  Pretty bad, Babe, pretty bad. See if you can figure out where your mistakes came.  It's time you put that middle school diploma to good use, Babe. 
    Posted by soups[/QUOTE]

Not yet; he finishes remedial school for it this yr; if all goes well.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jacoby Ellsbury is the best CF in the AL and may be the best in the game today. : Now if you just knew how to spell.

Very effective. Give yourself a pat on the back; you're good at self gratification. Necessity is the mother of invention. Keep your self-kudos close, and your liquids closer. Gosh, you're too easy to pick on, it's almost not fair. It's like making fun of a Special Olympics Event.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jacoby Ellsbury is the best CF in the AL and may be the best in the game today. : you should know; you're his teacher.
    Posted by the_yazzer[/QUOTE]

Whoah; sounds like a Babe defender in our midsts; a rare & unique skill. You should be proud.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

For what it's worth, and I'm sure it ain't squat, there's no other center fielder in MLB I'd rather have than Jacoby Ellsbury. I'm sure the Dodgers feel the same way about Matt Kemp and the Yankees feel the same way about Curtis Granderson, etc. Which is fine.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanCap. Show SanCap's posts

I like the FanGraphs ranking.  No shame in being in the top 5 (actually 4).  LloydDobler makes the point well - we like our guy the best.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

As is often the case stating Ellsbury is the best CF is an over statement as are the critiques in reverse. But what difference does it make whether he is the best in the game or not?

He is to the frustration of some an outstanding Boston Red Sox player. Thinking back to other eras while he gained a great deal of acclaim in 70's because he was a key part of a dynasty, Joe Rudi wasn't the best OFer, just a super piece in the A's championship puzzle. Lot's of guys like that over time. Paul O'Neal comes to mind.

Ellsbury has matured to add some more power to his game, made the adjustments to how pitcher adjusted to him and it is awesome when he is in front of Pedey, Adrian, Youk and Ortiz. So far he is having the year the RS thought they were going to get from Carl Crawford.

It is fair to say the controversy over his 2010 injury is in the rear view mirror and pretty distant too.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Thank you,5katz, for setting this thread straight; as always, perfect (except it's O'Neill, LOL).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DCSoxFan13. Show DCSoxFan13's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jacoby Ellsbury is the best CF in the AL and may be the best in the game today. : No, most still are; on Yahoo MLB Stats, I picked CFers, and it gave me all that play there part time as well; the only non-fulltime CFers above him in that list are Beltran and Carlos Gonzalez.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

Just one minor clarification--while yahoo still lists him as a RF/CF, per baseball-reference.com (good sight for extensive statistics, both past and current) and yahoo, Hunter Pence hasn't played a game in CF since 2007. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Wow, great comeback to a reasonable post.  You are officially a TOOL.  Look, I spelled that correctly.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jacoby Ellsbury is the best CF in the AL and may be the best in the game today. : Just one minor clarification--while yahoo still lists him as a RF/CF, per baseball-reference.com (good sight for extensive statistics, both past and current) and yahoo, Hunter Pence hasn't played a game in CF since 2007. 
    Posted by DCSoxFan13[/QUOTE]

You're right; I missed that.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DCSoxFan13. Show DCSoxFan13's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jacoby Ellsbury is the best CF in the AL and may be the best in the game today. : You're right; I missed that.

No worries, I've noticed that on yahoo they still list a lot of players at positions they haven't played in several years.  I've started using the baseball-reference.com sight because I find it more useful with a greater variety of stats and the ability to drill down a little more.   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jacoby Ellsbury is the best CF in the AL and may be the best in the game today. : No worries, I've noticed that on yahoo they still list a lot of players at positions they haven't played in several years.  I've started using the baseball-reference.com sight because I find it more useful with a greater variety of stats and the ability to drill down a little more.   

Agreed; except I've had problems with the query.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jacoby Ellsbury is the best CF in the AL and may be the best in the game today. : Whoah; sounds like a Babe defender in our midsts; a rare & unique skill. You should be proud.  

psssst! steven! a couple of mutual forum poster buds have told me they are one and the same. they are very reliable sources I might add. trust me!

by the way, that crack about moron school had me cleaning coffee off of my screen for almost 10 minutes. too fkn funny man.........

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jacoby Ellsbury is the best CF in the AL and may be the best in the game today. : Wow, great comeback to a reasonable post.  You are officially a TOOL.  Look, I spelled that correctly.
    Posted by jimdavis[/QUOTE]

jimdavis takes no grief, especially from the-babe.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jacoby Ellsbury is the best CF in the AL and may be the best in the game today. : No worries, I've noticed that on yahoo they still list a lot of players at positions they haven't played in several years.  I've started using the baseball-reference.com sight because I find it more useful with a greater variety of stats and the ability to drill down a little more.   

I prefer espn because you can filter by position/spot in the batting order/etc and get stats for just those situations.  So if you're comparing CF's, you can get just their stats while playing CF.  Or for lead off hitters you can get just the stats for when they're in the #1 spot in the lineup.  You can also easily use a min PA filter to ensure comperable sample sizes.

Ells' is 3rd in the AL for CF OPS with a minimum of 100 PA"s this year.  Only Granderson and Endy Chavez (TEX) have been better offensively.  Over 9 seasons, Chavez has an OPS of .689 (compared to .918 this year), so I'm expecting some regression there based on the large career sample and lack of AB's this year (101 AB's).

Ells is also 2nd in OBP in the same group (2 points behind Chavez) at .372.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jacoby Ellsbury is the best CF in the AL and may be the best in the game today. : jimdavis takes no grief, especially from the-babe.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

I'll take grief from you Burrito.  At least that's fun.  Dealing with Babe is like root canal.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]For what it's worth, and I'm sure it ain't squat, there's no other center fielder in MLB I'd rather have than Jacoby Ellsbury. I'm sure the Dodgers feel the same way about Matt Kemp and the Yankees feel the same way about Curtis Granderson, etc. Which is fine.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

I'd rather have McCutchen.  Hard to believe he's not an All-Star.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jacoby Ellsbury is the best CF in the AL and may be the best in the game today. : I'll take grief from you Burrito.  At least that's fun.  Dealing with Babe is like root canal.
    Posted by jimdavis[/QUOTE]

That's giving him too much credit; it's more like biting into cotton candy and suddenly discovering that you're chewing on a hard furball. You spit it out, then move on.