jacoby ellsbury rumor

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: jacoby ellsbury rumor

In response to Calzone65's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I didn't. I wanted to "sell high". I didn't know he'd get hurt, but I never thought, don't think he will EVER replicate 2011. He had 2 controllable years left, and could've brought a HUGE return. Factor in Borass as his agent, and I saw enough to want to trade him rather than deal with that.

[/QUOTE

Isn't this equivalent to wanting to sell every stock in your portfolio on its way up despite how long that you have owned it. Are you saying that Jim Rice and Fred Lynn should have been traded in 1976? A better example is Jim Lonborg before he went skiing in the winter of 1968. It must be a miserable fan  experience to see new rookies excel and then want to trade them right away. Isn't being a fan different than being a day trader in the stock market?

[/QUOTE]

pike is crazy but thats pretty spot on.

+1

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

its the self promotion that i don't like

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

While others promote themselves by being the forum King of hatred towards Francona, Theo, Drew, Ellsbury, Beckett, and Crawford. You fail to notice that. You didn't take note that Geo's identity / promotion was for being hateful of Francona and Beckett and a disciple of ChickenGate. You failed to realize that Andrewmitch's self promotion was his Drew and Crawford act as well as his wet blanket on the team during gamethreads? Babe was the biggest phony, his claim to fame was coming here to annoy RS fans and the voyeurs loved it.

[/QUOTE]

i haven't failed to notice anything. thats your problem. you assume everyone is oblivious to whats going on.

give us some credit pike. we're smart enough to pick up on trolls and Dbags.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

at least theirs regards baseball. which is why i come here. read others opinions and give my own.

i can tolerate you until you go into soapbox mode.

nobody cares!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I didn't. I wanted to "sell high". I didn't know he'd get hurt, but I never thought, don't think he will EVER replicate 2011. He had 2 controllable years left, and could've brought a HUGE return. Factor in Borass as his agent, and I saw enough to want to trade him rather than deal with that.

[/QUOTE

Isn't this equivalent to wanting to sell every stock in your portfolio on its way up despite how long that you have owned it. Are you saying that Jim Rice and Fred Lynn should have been traded in 1976? A better example is Jim Lonborg before he went skiing in the winter of 1968. It must be a miserable fan  experience to see new rookies excel and then want to trade them right away. Isn't being a fan different than being a day trader in the stock market?

[/QUOTE]

Not even remotely similar.

Rice and Lynn were not earmarked to leave regardless in 1977...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Had the Sox moved Ellsbury after 2011, as I was screaming for, they could've gotten a HUGE return. That chance is gone, and they will get a fraction of what they could have. Oh well. But let us all deal with a little reality. 2 out of 3 years have been totally lost. MAYBE someone is willing to overlook that, but I doubt it.

The problem is that you don't know that.  This isn't like a rotisserie league where you try to con someone into taking a player who's off to a hot start.  An opposing GM needing a CF would pay you for the expected results.  And then what, Sweeney in CF?  Kalish?

Honestly, this idea that you are going to fleece another GM is way overrated.  Every GM has the same book.

Plus, his biggest problem was that he was injured.  If we had traded Ellsbury for a SS, and someone landed on his shoulder breaking up a DP, how does that help us?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

I would resign Ells, if he has a good season, and develope the pitching.  Ells has been developed by Boston and proves he  can handle the stress in boston.  If we do trade him it better be for a little bit more than just holland.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Ellsbury will not ever resign with Boston. There is no doubt in my mind. 

In my opinion, even if we offer a little more than the highest bidder, he will walk.

The fact that his stock was higher after 2011 than it is now should have no bearing on the decision to be made now. Any trade decision (not based on dumping salary) is based on thinking we will improve by making it. The other GM is doing the same- something some posters here seem to forget.

1) Looking at the idea of an Ellsbury trade in general terms, it seems obvious to me that a player with 1 year of team control that will surely bolt afterwards is worth more to a team that considers itself a 2013 contender and who needs an OF'er.

2) The Sox are not likely to be serious contenders in 2013, unless Ben goes "all out" this winter- something I hope does not happen, since this is a weak FA class. So, Jacoby has less value for us than other higher-rated teams for 2013.

3) What real value does 1 year of Ellsbury have to a team that will not win a WS in 2013, even if he hits .350 with 50 HRs? I submit that it is nearly zero, except for maybe drawing fans & TV viewers, if he does have such a great year.

4) Winning 85 games instead of 75 to 80 does not outweigh the gains we could get in a return package via trading Jacoby. It's not about finding a GM to "fleece", although that does happen quite often in MLB. Ellsbury has serious value to any GM who thinks they can seriously compete in 2013 and has an OF weak link.

5) Add  the value of the supplemental comp pick a team would get if they trade for Jacoby this winter, they make a qualiftying offer next winter, but he decides to walk, and you get a pretty decent overall value to offer a team. These draft picks are not as easy to get anymore, so they are precious to today's GMs.

I am not for giving Jacoby away. I am not for trading 1 year of Jacoby for 1 year of some other player, even if that player is better (and should be due to the draft pick that goes with Jacoby and might not return with the guy we get). We should look to trade Jacoby for a player with 2+ years of team control or a prospect or two with high upside potential and legitimate MLB projections.

We should also seriously look to trade any player that will be a FA after 2013 (Salty, Breslow, Sweeney, & Hill) and maybe even some that will lose team control after 2014 (Lester, Bailey, Aceves, Morales, & Miller).

Let's look to greatly improve in 2013, but with an eye towards 2014 and beyond. That doesn't mean don't make any one year stop-gap signings, but any trade that involves major players of our 2013 season or our future should be geared towards improving our chances of contending in 2014 and beyond.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE

[/QUOTE]

Oh, right, because players were getting absurdly high, team-crippling contracts in the late-70s also. They had agents who would hold teams up while pitching offers to other teams. Right. Good comparison.

Right away? So he comes up in 2007, plays in 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011...and that's 'right away'. How do you even believe this sh!t you write?

Your comparisons are without any merit whatsoever. Rice and Lynn played in 75 only, not 4+ fking years you dooshbag.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I am not for giving Jacoby away. I am not for trading 1 year of Jacoby for 1 year of some other player, even if that player is better (and should be due to the draft pick that goes with Jacoby and might not return with the guy we get). We should look to trade Jacoby for a player with 2+ years of team control or a prospect or two with high upside potential and legitimate MLB projections.

That's exactly right Moon. I remember, after 2010 season, I wanted to explore flipping Ellsbury for Kemp, straight up. Ells was hurt, Kemp was coming off a very pedestrian year where he was dating Rhianna, and people were questioning his committment to baseball, and the Dodgers were puting out feelers on him. I was roundly mocked then, and still people hold onto some notion that Ellsbury is still some kind of "can't miss" prospect as he approaches 30 years old. At that time (2010) the words I used were "getting comparable value in a different piece". I still stand by that now. Most people wouldn't want Lincecum straight up, but I would. I would take a chance on his lost velocity and production just as SF would be taking a chance on Ells' bad luck/injury history. I already said I would happily take Holland and hope for a general progression as he turns 27/28. It's reasonable to expect an increase in production in those years. At 30+? Not so much in the diminished PED era.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to wallyisdead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE

[/QUOTE]

Oh, right, because players were getting absurdly high, team-crippling contracts in the late-70s also. They had agents who would hold teams up while pitching offers to other teams. Right. Good comparison.

Right away? So he comes up in 2007, plays in 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011...and that's 'right away'. How do you even believe this sh!t you write?

Your comparisons are without any merit whatsoever. Rice and Lynn played in 75 only, not 4+ fking years you doos hbag.

[/QUOTE]

You are as classy as school on Sunday, nimwit.

[/QUOTE]

Sunday school is, in fact, pretty classy. And you're still offering as much insight as a cracker.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I remember, after 2010 season, I wanted to explore flipping Ellsbury for Kemp, straight up. Ells was hurt, Kemp was coming off a very pedestrian year where he was dating Rhianna, and people were questioning his committment to baseball, 

Ellsbury was coming off a bad injury.  It would've been the worst time to trade him.  I can't predict what LA would've done, but I seriously doubt that'd have traded someone with a career .808 and 159 GS pa for 3 years, for someone with .749 and 105 GS pa for three seasons.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE

[/QUOTE]

Not even remotely similar.

Rice and Lynn were not earmarked to leave regardless in 1977...

[/QUOTE]

if internet forums existed back then im sure there would be dolts like you who ASSUMED they would be gone just because they had an agent you dont like..........

jacoby is wildly popular with the fans, doesn't get hunted and misquoted by the media and seems to have a great relationship with the team. why would he leave? if we match the offer of any other club theres no reason to think he wouldn't come back.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

geared towards improving our chances of contending in 2014 and beyond.

[/QUOTE]

How much more then the compensation pick value do you think the Red Sox could get in trade value right now for Ellsbury? The equivelent of two picks? Three picks? Is the difference worth giving up on 2012? Ellsbury is clearly the player with the most "potential" on the team to me. Giving up your most talented player for prospects is basically giving up. Especially without a ready replacement. Its atleast akin to the Indians or Rockies trading away Choo or Carlos Gonzalez for prospects. If they did that I would percieve they were giving up in 2013. The difference isn't worth giving up on 2013.

Also, if we are basically giving up in 2013 and focusing on 2014 and beyond, I don't see how a 38 year old DH making 24 million to eventually play in 2014 makes any sense. Its bad value. They will get no compenstaion when he leaves in 2014 either. If the major purpose is 2014 and beyond, Papi is a stupid and bad move. How can you disagree?

It should either be Ellsbury and Papi or neither.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Proposed offseason plans at Over the Monster include a trade of Jacoby Ellsbury:

http://www.overthemonster.com/2012/10/26/3557010/boston-red-sox-armchair-gm-off-season-edition-brendan-otoole/in/3313201

http://www.overthemonster.com/2012/10/24/3547608/boston-red-sox-armchair-gm-off-season-edition-ben-buchanan/in/3313201

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to Yonkersman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

How about Seattle baseball news. Anything new there? Is there a baseball forum there?

[/QUOTE]

Another case of Hill  trying to undermine the Sox interests.  But Moonslav likes him , so he must be okay. 

Sections
Shortcuts