Jacoby Ellsbury - Starting point for next contract

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Jacoby Ellsbury - Starting point for next contract

Here's a paragraph and link to read the whole article.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2013/8/28/4668412/mlb-free-agent-jacoby-ellsbury-2013-red-sox

The rumored "starting point" for Red Sox center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury when he hits free agency this fall will be the five-year, $75 million deal that B.J. Upton signed with the Braves last winter, CBS Sports' Jon Heyman told 98.5 The Sports Hub on Tuesday.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

Re: Jacoby Ellsbury - Starting point for next contract

I think the sox would do that without a doubt.  I wonder where the end point will be.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

In response to greenwellforpresident's comment:

I think the sox would do that without a doubt.  I wonder where the end point will be.

Much higher. Fangraphshas Ellsbury as the number 4 centerfielder in baseball since 2008, even with his injury time. They value those years at $97.9mil.

Upton is the 12th best, valued at $76.5.

-Daf.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

17M per x 5 years...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

5 years is the max I would go. I am not as worried about the annual as much as I worry about the length of the contract.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

He's gonna get paid.  No doubt.  And, not by the Sox.  Get Choo in FA and give JBJ more time to develop in Pawtucket... like Nava.  Just my opinion.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Boras & Els would laugh at 5 yrs for 75 mill. I hope they can resign him but if not take the 1st rounder and move on.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think the Sox will offer Jacoby $100M/6, won't budge much from there, and Jacoby will take a higher offer from some desperate GM.

Sox4ever

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I think the Sox will hold firm on 5 yeyears and 

maybe go 85mm but if that doesn't get it done

they will part ways . I hope Ells considers it and

takes into account the winning team factor

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

I think the Sox will hold firm on 5 yeyears and 

maybe go 85mm but if that doesn't get it done

they will part ways . I hope Ells considers it and

takes into account the winning team factor

Other winning teams will make huge offers too.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

Here's a paragraph and link to read the whole article.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2013/8/28/4668412/mlb-free-agent-jacoby-ellsbury-2013-red-sox

The rumored "starting point" for Red Sox center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury when he hits free agency this fall will be the five-year, $75 million deal that B.J. Upton signed with the Braves last winter, CBS Sports' Jon Heyman told 98.5 The Sports Hub on Tuesday.

Then I would hand him his coat on the way out the door and wish him good luck.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

pumpsie--I like your rational. BenC brought Vic in for more than playing RF and his humor. He has a price in mind for Ells and I don't think he goes beyond the price and length of contract.

The Sox outfield of JBJ in RF or CF and Vic in CF or RF would be seamless to having Ells in CF. I'm not saying JBJ is as good as Ells today but give that kid a little time(2-3 months) and we will be amazed by his talent. Stronger arm than Ells and more power. If management doesn't think he's ready move Xander to LF and park Nava in RF. BenC and Baird and all the scouting dept. have it covered. 

Don't lose sight of Bryce Brentz--in a short season for him, 78 games, injuries and gun shot wound, he has quietly hit 17 homers at AAA with 55 RBI and an OPS of .803. That follows up another 17 HR seson and 78 RBI  at AA in 2012. He also carries about a .260 BA. He's got some Nap similarities---strikes out an average of 1 in 4 AB's. He has a strong arm from RF.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

pumpsie--I like your rational. BenC brought Vic in for more than playing RF and his humor. He has a price in mind for Ells and I don't think he goes beyond the price and length of contract.

The Sox outfield of JBJ in RF or CF and Vic in CF or RF would be seamless to having Ells in CF. I'm not saying JBJ is as good as Ells today but give that kid a little time(2-3 months) and we will be amazed by his talent. Stronger arm than Ells and more power. If management doesn't think he's ready move Xander to LF and park Nava in RF. BenC and Baird and all the scouting dept. have it covered. 

Don't lose sight of Bryce Brentz--in a short season for him, 78 games, injuries and gun shot wound, he has quietly hit 17 homers at AAA with 55 RBI and an OPS of .803. That follows up another 17 HR seson and 78 RBI  at AA in 2012. He also carries about a .260 BA. He's got some Nap similarities---strikes out an average of 1 in 4 AB's. He has a strong arm from RF.

I haven't seen anyone place more than a 4th outfielder tag on Brentz in over a year, if he's striking out 25% of the time against triple A pitchers I doubt he will do much better in MLB.  He does have plus power and a good arm.  Think Josh Reddick with less range in the outfield.

Does JBJ have more power than Ellsbury?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Think 5yrs / 90 mil sounds about right. Someone else might offer a little more, but think playing for a perenial playoff team w/ fans who care will be the difference. I've been saying the Mets because they were close and desperate for OF help, but w/ the Harvey injury changes the almost there perception. If someone gets crazy RS take the pick and move on as thay have in the past Damon / Pedro. Smart organizations have to do it right to win yr after yr. Think trading CC and admitting a mistake helps RS in negotations w/ Ells. Absolutely! otherewise Boras would be using that contract as a starting point. Now most of baseball knows that contract was a mistake and only Dodgers and their bags of cash TV contract let them afford that blunder.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

That is depend how much Cano is getting from the Yankees or the newest team.  Boras is going to use that leverage to make offer to Boston or other teams!!

Boras always wait until the top two out of three free agents to sign a team and then use that leverage!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

If he goes elsewhere, it is beyond question he will be missed. Bradley has the arm and the OF instincts, but lacks ellsbury's blinding speed and, so far, his ability to hit MLB pitching.  Ells WAR rating is among the 20 best in MLB.  However, Bradley is a key reason why the Sox are not going to offer Ellsbury what thEy offered Crawford.   

As for amount of offer, I defer to moonslav and notin.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

JE's entire game is predicated on speed.  he wreaks havoc on the basepaths and causes high stress on pitchers.  his speed also makes up for bad reads on defense.

at what age does the speed fall off?  he is about to turn 30. 

personally i wouldnt offer him more than 4 years.

without his speed he will be a below average fielder and since he has minimal power, speed is his deadliest offensive weapon.  he will lose a step every year past 30.....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Marioguy424. Show Marioguy424's posts

Cano is a second baseman. Ellsbury is an outfielder.

Cano is a middle of the order hitter. Ellsbury is a leadoff hitter.

Cano is renowned for his hitting, although he has won 2 gold gloves. Ellsbury, although he is a .300 hitter (when healthy) with excellent speed, is renowned for his defense.

Cano is durable, having always played at least 122 games, and has not played less than 159 games since 2006. Ellsbury has had 4 full seasons, assuming that he does not get injured before this year ends, and 2 injury riddled seasons where he could not play anywhere close to his normal level of play.

I don't doubt that Boras might still attempt to jack up Ellsbury's price by using Cano as an example. He is Boras, after all. I just doubt whether ANY bidding teams will take it seriously.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to Marioguy424's comment:

I don't doubt that Boras might still attempt to jack up Ellsbury's price by using Cano as an example. He is Boras, after all. I just doubt whether ANY bidding teams will take it seriously.

He got the yankees to bid against themselves for A-rod.  never underestimate the power of satan Bora$.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to DaffyDan's comment:

In response to greenwellforpresident's comment:

Much higher. Fangraphs has Ellsbury as the number 4 centerfielder in baseball since 2008, even with his injury time. They value those years at $97.9mil.

Upton is the 12th best, valued at $76.5.

-Daf.

Over the same period, FanGraphs values 32-year-old Shane Victorino at $108.4 million:

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=cf&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=6&season=2013&month=0&season1=2008&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

How does Victorino's three-year, $39 million contract impact the starting point for Jacoby Ellsbury's contract?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

http://nesn.com/2013/08/report-jacoby-ellsbury-expected-to-seek-100-million-plus-as-free-agent-yankees-could-be-wild-card/

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NLU75. Show NLU75's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I think the Sox will offer Jacoby $100M/6, won't budge much from there, and Jacoby will take a higher offer from some desperate GM.

Sox4ever

Moon, how much did they give Pedroia a yr. Sox will not give Ells much more than PD gets per year. Ells is gone

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to NLU75's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

Moon, how much did they give Pedroia a yr. Sox will not give Ells much more than PD gets per year. Ells is gone

[/QUOTE]

AGREE WITH YOU, Boston will use their leverage on what kind of contract that they gave to Bucholtz, Pedy, Papi and Lester among few others.  If the Yankees want him badly, then Boston would try to prevent him going there. 

But if he is heading to Cubs, Mets, Seattle and any NL team, then I am fine with that.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

JE's entire game is predicated on speed.  he wreaks havoc on the basepaths and causes high stress on pitchers.  his speed also makes up for bad reads on defense.

at what age does the speed fall off?  he is about to turn 30. 

personally i wouldnt offer him more than 4 years.

without his speed he will be a below average fielder and since he has minimal power, speed is his deadliest offensive weapon.  he will lose a step every year past 30.....

Heres how I look at the injuries with Ells in regards to a contract offer. He will be 30 in another 2 weeks. The injuries he suffered were not a nagging hammy, heel, knee, back or anything like that. It was Broken ribs where you have to lay down and rest for them to heal, and a shoulder sublexion which is the same thing. Hes basically go 2 years of rest on those legs. 2 less years of wear and tear. No?

I already believed he could go at a good rate to his 35th BDay. Hes in phenomenal shape and condition. Ells is a good candidate to play into his mid 30's while still producing at a high level. That would be a 5yr deal where he turns 35 in the last month of the least year of his deal. Id give him a 6th year if it gets the deal done. 16M/6yrs with a 4M signing bonus to make it a 100M deal.