Jacoby Ellsbury's True Colors - 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from crtolly1. Show crtolly1's posts

Jacoby Ellsbury's True Colors - 2011

I know that I may not post alot to this website, but ever since Jacoby Ellsbury was called up at the end of the 2007 season, I was basically hypnotized at how fast he was, not only stealing bases, but playing center field and at such a young age (23).  I think it would be utterly ridiculuous for the sox not to resign Jake because of several reasons.

At a very young age, and at a very quick pace, Jake was able to produce not only at the end of the regular season but during the post season as well.  He stole a couple of bases, I remember specifically because he won everyone in America a free taco for doing so.  He also scored the winning run in one of the games against the rockies ( cant remember what game it was ).  Showing that not only did he have the speed to steal bases but was also clutch, yes it was only one game but please tell me how many players at that young of an age can rise to the occassion like he did. 

I know it is coming so I will go ahead and shoot down the nay sayers, yes Jacoby did not "rise" to the occassion moving forward during the next two season, but  Jake did show the sox just what they had come to expect from him, his speed.  As indicative of the fifty and seventy stolen bases in both 2008 and 2009 respectively.  On top of that Jake continued to speak more and more with his bat instead of his legs with each new season, finishing the 2008 season with a 280 BA, 22 Doubles, 7 Triples, 9 HR's, and 47 RBI's and finishing the 2009 season with a 308 BA, 27 Doubles, 10 Triples, and 8 HR's.  Most of these statistics show an improvement except for his HR's, although they may be little improvements, they are improvements none the less.

To me, that is a very solid young center fielder, at the end of the 2009 season he was 25, now given I dont keep up with the ages of every center fielder, at the time, people were raving about Jake and his spectacular catches, although a few errors, but more so his spectacular ability to cover all of center field.  Having seen Damon cover center field as he did and later leave in 2005, I can say myself, I dont remeber who covered center from 2005 to mid 2007, because I cant remember I am going to say that it was a platoon of players and was a result of wanting to wait for Jake to rise through the minor leagues. 

Yes, 2010 was not a good year for Jake, but to be completely honest, and I may stand alone on this one, but I think it was better that Jake basically took the year to ensure that his rib cage healed the correct way after colliding with Adrian Beltre than try to continue to come back time after time like he did once and just reaggrevate the injury and further prolong his time off the field.  I will not even put his stats for 2010 up because he didnt even have more than 100 AB's. 

Up until this point, I believe that Jake produced just as much if not a little more than what the sox wanted to see from him.  To this point the sox experimented with Jake at the leadoff spot but was never set in stone until the 2011 season.  Thus far, and yes it may be the year or two before he goes into his contract season, I truly believe that this is the Jacoby Ellsbury of the future no matter where ends up playing. 

Just for those of you who have only been watching highlights:

316 BA, 26 Doubles, 2 Triples, 15 HR's, 28 SB's, and there are still around 50 to 60 games left in the regular season. 

With Lester and Buchholz on the mend, the sox are going to be healthy, (knock on wood) all the way into october.

Now with these facts alone, Jake has improved, not one statistic more than another, but has rounded himself to be what I believe, the most versatile, dangerous, and talented player out there.  He can hit homeruns, steal bases, get on base, score runs, hit the ball deep for doubles or triples, play center field with his legs that he has and can cover any part of it because so. 

You dont invest so much into one player like the sox have with Jake only to let him walk the other way simply because of money, Jake is only going to continue to round himself into the versatile player that he is turning into. 

Now many of you may think I am ridicuolous when I say this, but:

when I saw Jake score the winning run against the rockies in the World Series, I was just amazed at the fact that he did, I literally believe he is a manbeast, half human half beast, he continues to show up and produce when needed, yes i may be a little biased, he is my favorite player, and would not like to admit but have a little bit of a man crush on him becuase of his abilities on the field, but no one can disagree that he has earned the name MANBEAST, when he stole home against the yankees with posada at the plate in fenway, that takes balls, and just from watching espn that night, fenway went wild. 

I may just be babbling and many may believe that this is a stupid post, but the red sox would have to be completely stupid not to sign Jacoby Ellsbury to a contract that would keep him in boston for the rest of his career.

Jacoby " Manbeast " Ellsbury

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Re: Jacoby Ellsbury's True Colors - 2011

Sox will go to arb for the next two years on Ells, and if get Pence, he would play Center in 2014 barring Ells leaving FA...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

I basically agree with OP and would try and sign him long-term, but Boras will not let that happen his modis-operandi is to get his clients to FA, and then go to the highest bidder. The Sox have a history of  paying top dollar on other teams FA, but come in under the asking price on their own, so you better enjoy Ellsbury while you can, or get direct tv so you can watch him play where ever he ends up.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

aren't Pence and Ellsbury FA the same year?....mine as well just Lock up Jacoby now....IMO

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

he's not going to sign anything before becoming a FA.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In Response to Re: Jacoby Ellsbury's True Colors - 2011:
    he's not going to sign anything before becoming a FA.
    Posted by CTJake14

Not likely, no...your right. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from crtolly1. Show crtolly1's posts

I think if the sox throw enough money at him here soon to make him happy then the sox will get him, but to further the FA argument, the longer we wait, the more he produces, the better he looks, the more competition to get him and in turn more money to pay, so basically either now or never, or at least before next offseason otherwise there will be another platoon problem for a couple of years in centerfield

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

the only way he signs is if he likes the thought of 4 yrs/40MM rather than 2 more years of arb $ -- what, maybe $15MM total? -- and then FA.  and no matter what he's gonna have to overrule Boras to sign at all.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think they will try at the end of the year..His numbers have improved in all areas each year..Minus 2010..If he continues this all year, which he prob will and get better, I think 10mil is not out of the question. The sox like those 5-6 year deals..Eat a couple years of their arb at better $, and they give you 3 years of their FA..His salary would have to go up from 10 per to somewhere around Drew $$ +incentives by the last years IMO..Every player has the final say, not their agent..Even if it IS Boras.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

5years, 10 mil per yr. and he takes it even if Borass says no.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bettersoftthanlaw. Show bettersoftthanlaw's posts

Offer him a lifetime contract of team options worth the minor league minimum, allowing the Sox to keep him as a mascot. If he refuses, DFA immediately and find a team willing to take this malcontent off of our hands.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

Offer him a lifetime contract of team options worth the minor league minimum, allowing the Sox to keep him as a mascot. If he refuses, DFA immediately and find a team willing to take this malcontent off of our hands.
    Posted by bettersoftthanlaw

Hey, don't hold back tell us what you really think of Jacoby.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Posted by bettersoftthanlaw

Should have known you'd show up with your usual stupidity, and now you come up with Ells being a malcontent. Where do you come up with this garbage. For a total idiot you make sense, as much as a total idiot like you would ever make sense, that is. It's amazing what someone with a "0" IQ can produce. 

Hetchinspete.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Don't let Softlaw rattle your cage. He's a pretender / troll.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

He's showing himself to be one of the most talented players in either league, the reality is, he will become a free agent and go to the highest bidder. He does not yet have the track record of Carl Crawford, but Boras will convince some owner that CC is CoCo Crisp, and Ells is Rickey Henderson and Mickey Mantle rolled into one. The gambit for the Sox is, they will get premier performance at a league discount for a few years, and once the new car smell has worn off, they'll let someone else drive this sports car off the lot.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

He's showing himself to be one of the most talented players in either league, the reality is, he will become a free agent and go to the highest bidder. He does not yet have the track record of Carl Crawford, but Boras will convince some owner that CC is CoCo Crisp, and Ells is Rickey Henderson and Mickey Mantle rolled into one. The gambit for the Sox is, they will get premier performance at a league discount for a few years, and once the new car smell has worn off, they'll let someone else drive this sports car off the lot.
    Posted by YOUKILLUS20

Perfect analogy 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

imo ellsbury is arguably the most valuable player on the red sox roster, what he does in the leadoff spot, his obp, hr, and stolen bases speak for themselves, and is there any better center fielder in the big leagues? i dont think so, sayin that, if they do sign him long term boras will demand a bigger contract for ells than crawford, and deservingly so. maybe theo can use some of nancy drews money on ells when he is gone!!!! he is worth it!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

He's showing himself to be one of the most talented players in either league,the reality is, he will become a free agent and go to the highest bidder. He does not yet have the track record of Carl Crawford, but Boras will convince some owner that CC is CoCo Crisp, and Ells is Rickey Henderson and Mickey Mantle rolled into one. The gambit for the Sox is, they will get premier performance at a league discount for a few years, and once the new car smell has worn off, they'll let someone else drive this sports car off the lot.
    Posted by YOUKILLUS20

You do realize you risk drawing the ire of the Softone with this statement.

He has been allergic to Jake truth lately.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In Response to Re: Jacoby Ellsbury's True Colors - 2011 : You do realize you risk drawing the ire of the Softone with this statement. He has been allergic to Jake truth lately.
    Posted by harness

maybe this explains his absence......maybe Ellsbury's two HR's made him severely ill. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bettersoftthanlaw. Show bettersoftthanlaw's posts

In Response to Re: Jacoby Ellsbury's True Colors - 2011 : maybe this explains his absence......maybe Ellsbury's two HR's made him severely ill. 
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh

Absence? I have been here this entire time. I am not going ot run away, like a Yankee troll, or the occasional Oriole, Blue Jay, or Rays fan that is on here before those teams fade, early in the season. We will see who has the last laugh when it comes to Bellsbury.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

In Response to Re: Jacoby Ellsbury's True Colors - 2011 : You do realize you risk drawing the ire of the Softone with this statement. He has been allergic to Jake truth lately.
    Posted by harness

Here's the thing, some guys come up and hit right away, Fred Lynn, Jim Rice, and Wade Boggs is another that comes to mind. Some players take time to develop, Dwight Evans,  and Kevin Youkilis for example. I recall Earl Weaver saying that Rice would be better than Lynn. I just didn't see AT THAT TIME, how this would ever be possible. Look what happened, Lynn was made for Fenway, and injury prone, then he got traded. Rice stayed at Fenway and was durable, all the way to Cooperstown. I'd still take Lynn over Rice if they came up again right now, more exciting in the OF, sweet swing and all that, but it would simply be the wrong choice.
      Take a look at the historical list of MVP's, it's loaded with marginal players, yet they were great for one or two seasons, so how can anyone "know" what will be the ultimate book on any player? Right now, Ells has speed that can not be denied, Pop that can not be denied, and is more than contributing to one of the best offenses in the game, will it last? Who knows? The only way he could do more for the team, would be to sell popcorn between innings, I say, enjoy it, baby.

Sections
Shortcuts