1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Jacoby!!!

Almost all of us are!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Casey Kotchman Age 28

Kotchman 2011 BA .326 OBP .385 SLG .443 OPS .828
    Kotchman career BA .267 OBP .333 SLG .399 OPS .732

Kotchman appears to breaking out at the plate.

Carl Crawford Age 28 in 2010

Crawford 2010 BA .307 OBP .356 SLG .495 OPS .851 19HR
    Crawford 2011 BA .245 OBP .280 SLG .379 OPS .659 12 Projected
    Crawford career BA .293 OBP .334 SLG .440 OPS .774 13HR

Ellsbury Age 28 in 2011

Ellsbury 2011 BA .317 OBP .373 SLG .513 OPS .886 24 Projected
    Ellsbury 2010 BA .192 OBP .241 SLG .244 OPS .485 0 HR
    Ellsbury 2009 BA .301 OBP .355 SLG .415 OPS .770 9 HR
    Ellsbury career BA . 298 OBP .351 SLG .430 OPS .781 12 HR

Is Crawford the 2010 Crawford?

Is Kotchman the 2011 Kotchman?

Is Ellsbury the 2011 Ellsbury?

Do you offer Ellsbury 130M over 7 years, and pay for the 2011 Ellsbury?

Do you winter trade Ellsbury's 2 years and 6 to 8M a year?

Note: Ellsbury 2011 v. LHP BA .246 OBP .319 SLG .405 OPS .724

Do you go long term with this OF:

Ellsbury
    Crawford
    Reddick/Kalish/Aviles

Note: Local Red Sox Fan and media MVP candidate is 9th in AL OPS and way behind OF'ers Bautista and Granderson, with Granderson also sporting 20 steals 84 RBI's, 98 runs and 28 homers. Ellsbury is also trailing Pedroia, who has 22 steals, AGon and Ortiz in OPS.

Who is the team MVP?

Agon, Pedroia, Ortiz, Beckett or Ellsbury?

Theo is mortgaged down on Crawford, whose career numbers say he won't repeat 2011 in 2012. I see no chance Theo extends Ellsbury or signs him as a FA because he has to look at the career averages if he wants to avoid a Crawbust decision. I don't think ownership would authorize a budget for Ellsbury and Crawford.

But let's forget the fact that Theo's not going to extend or sign Ellsbury as a FA. Do you want Theo to:

1. extend or sign Ellsbury as a FA?

2. If so, how much and how many years do you offer?

3. If not, do you trade Ellsbury's 2 years of control, over the winter, or hope he is the 2011 Ellsbury for 2012 and 2013 and pay the likely arbitration award amount of 12 to 14M and hope to get a draft pick or two?

4. If you want Ellsbury retained, who is your 3rd OF'er for 2012? Who is your 4th OF'er for 2012?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

He's emerging as a superstar in the sport.

What superstar has an OPS under .900 for one season, is 9th in AL OPS for 2011, and has career offensive and defensive averages that aren't even "star"?

As for doing what Ortiz did in 2004, you have to be joking. A baby step for Ellsbury woud be to do more than Butch Hobson and do some damage to the Yankees in the biggest series of the season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

In Response to Re: Jacoby!!!:
    He's emerging as a superstar in the sport. What superstar has an OPS under .900 for one season, is 9th in AL OPS for 2011, and has career offensive and defensive averages that aren't even "star"? As for doing what Ortiz did in 2004, you have to be joking. A baby step for Ellsbury woud be to do more than Butch Hobson and do some damage to the Yankees in the biggest series of the season.
    Posted by softylaw

Haha, what a jerk!  So the goal posts are moved again.  Now that he has had an excellent season, you put the Yankee series up as some kind of benchmark, all the while hoping he doesn't do well.  If he plays well, you will revert back to a career number that would obviously take time to raise.  If he doesn't do well you can use that to push your anti-Ellsbury agenda.  How about this...His career numbers wiill steadily rise because, like many, he has gotten to be a better player than when you formed your opinion.  I was really good in high school and it took me a full season to figure out college baseball.  I had never faced a 6'5" lefty on the high school and struggled as a result.  When I improved through work and maturity, no one said I still sucked because my career numbers were low.  They were happy that I was playing well for my school at the time.  You can still wish Ellsbury gone down the road and be happy that he had alot to do with some important team wins.  The two are not mutually exclusive.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

First: 12/13/2010
    Last: 8/3/2011
    Softy, step away from the ledge!!
    ...only if a semi is bearing down .... otherwise, as encouraged before JUMP!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Casey Kotchman Age 28 Kotchman 2011 BA .326 OBP .385 SLG .443 OPS .828 Kotchman career BA .267 OBP .333 SLG .399 OPS .732 Kotchman appears to breaking out at the plate. Carl Crawford Age 28 in 2010 Crawford 2010 BA .307 OBP .356 SLG .495 OPS .851 19HR Crawford 2011 BA .245 OBP .280 SLG .379 OPS .659 12 Projected Crawford career BA .293 OBP .334 SLG .440 OPS .774 13HR Ellsbury Age 28 in 2011 Ellsbury 2011 BA .317 OBP .373 SLG .513 OPS .886 24 Projected Ellsbury 2010 BA .192 OBP .241 SLG .244 OPS .485 0 HR Ellsbury 2009 BA .301 OBP .355 SLG .415 OPS .770 9 HR Ellsbury career BA . 298 OBP .351 SLG .430 OPS .781 12 HR Is Crawford the 2010 Crawford? Is Kotchman the 2011 Kotchman? Is Ellsbury the 2011 Ellsbury? Do you offer Ellsbury 130M over 7 years, and pay for the 2011 Ellsbury? Do you winter trade Ellsbury's 2 years and 6 to 8M a year? Note: Ellsbury 2011 v. LHP BA .246 OBP .319 SLG .405 OPS .724 Do you go long term with this OF: Ellsbury Crawford Reddick/Kalish/Aviles Note: Local Red Sox Fan and media MVP candidate is 9th in AL OPS and way behind OF'ers Bautista and Granderson, with Granderson also sporting 20 steals 84 RBI's, 98 runs and 28 homers. Ellsbury is also trailing Pedroia, who has 22 steals, AGon and Ortiz in OPS. Who is the team MVP? Agon, Pedroia, Ortiz, Beckett or Ellsbury? Theo is mortgaged down on Crawford, whose career numbers say he won't repeat 2011 in 2012. I see no chance Theo extends Ellsbury or signs him as a FA because he has to look at the career averages if he wants to avoid a Crawbust decision. I don't think ownership would authorize a budget for Ellsbury and Crawford. But let's forget the fact that Theo's not going to extend or sign Ellsbury as a FA. Do you want Theo to: 1. extend or sign Ellsbury as a FA? 2. If so, how much and how many years do you offer? 3. If not, do you trade Ellsbury's 2 years of control, over the winter, or hope he is the 2011 Ellsbury for 2012 and 2013 and pay the likely arbitration award amount of 12 to 14M and hope to get a draft pick or two? 4. If you want Ellsbury retained, who is your 3rd OF'er for 2012? Who is your 4th OF'er for 2012?
    Posted by softylaw

Softy,

Ever heard the phrase, "When you're in a hole, stop digging"?

You're diging hard enough to reach China soon.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Just keep stuffing that Ells crow down your gullet Softy. You have no idea how much I am enjoying the fact that I know that every time Ells comes to the plate you cringe, then put your head down in exasperation as Jacoby does something positive for the Red Sox. Again, Softy, Man Up and admit you were and are wrong about Jacoby Ellsbury.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

Ellsbury has been incredible!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

As an added bonus, all the posters who argued with me that Drew is better than Ellsbury have now crawled back under their rocks.........

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

My parents recently bought two puppies. We named one Jacoby. Here's to hope he doesn't sign with the Yanks and make us regret it in 2 years!
    Posted by NUSoxFan

DON'T SAY THAT!!!!!!!!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

as jocoby goes - the red sox go ....i coined this and as always was 100% correct -

he is the most valuable player on the team and the player we can least afford to have out of the lineup

more than lester
    more than agon'
    more than pedey
    more than youk
    more than papi

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

My parents recently bought two puppies. We named one Jacoby. Here's to hope he doesn't sign with the Yanks and make us regret it in 2 years!
    Posted by NUSoxFan

Thats why I named mine Fenway & Tessie..Not gonna change the name of the park or song..I got a buddy with an english BD named Big Puppy..Yeah, kinda corny, but ya gotta love the fandom..
    As far as Ells goes..His steady progression the last few years speaks for itself..Hes one of the top OF and leadoff hitters in MLB..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DCSoxFan13. Show DCSoxFan13's posts

Posted by NUSoxFan

Allright, this is a little tasteless, but true...

As a boy I added two new black mollies to my fish tank a few days before the disasterous Patriots vs. Bears Superbowl.  I named them "Tippett" and "Blackmon" after the Patriots outside linebackers.  When I got up on Superbowl Sunday morning they were both floating belly up at the top of the tank....the Pats soon followed in much the same manner.   

Let's hope that Jake finds a MUCH, MUCH better fate over the long haul (regardless of the fact that Softy may be sticking pins in his Jake voodoo doll).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from copyul8. Show copyul8's posts

The Ellsbury Go-Boy!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Now he has to be number one in MLB in OPS to satisfy the clown.

Softy's goalposts are made from Balsa Wood.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I still can't understand why he hasn't scored more runs with the guys he has hitting behind him. Look at Granderson's 94 runs scored. I guess nothing puts up the big numbers more than HR. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

At some point maybe next year I bet he starts taking outside pitches to the wall and over the wall. He's strong enough to do it. And imagine if he developed his bunting more. Bringing the infield in and opening more holes to hit through. He could well see his average and power continue to grow.

The last couple days are potentially seminal. He can gain a lot of confidence from these kinds of games. Look what happens when he really concentrates intensely.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Casey Kotchman Age 28 Kotchman 2011 BA .326 OBP .385 SLG .443 OPS .828 Kotchman career BA .267 OBP .333 SLG .399 OPS .732 Kotchman appears to breaking out at the plate. Carl Crawford Age 28 in 2010 Crawford 2010 BA .307 OBP .356 SLG .495 OPS .851 19HR Crawford 2011 BA .245 OBP .280 SLG .379 OPS .659 12 Projected Crawford career BA .293 OBP .334 SLG .440 OPS .774 13HR Ellsbury Age 28 in 2011 Ellsbury 2011 BA .317 OBP .373 SLG .513 OPS .886 24 Projected Ellsbury 2010 BA .192 OBP .241 SLG .244 OPS .485 0 HR Ellsbury 2009 BA .301 OBP .355 SLG .415 OPS .770 9 HR Ellsbury career BA . 298 OBP .351 SLG .430 OPS .781 12 HR Is Crawford the 2010 Crawford? Is Kotchman the 2011 Kotchman? Is Ellsbury the 2011 Ellsbury? Do you offer Ellsbury 130M over 7 years, and pay for the 2011 Ellsbury? Do you winter trade Ellsbury's 2 years and 6 to 8M a year? Note: Ellsbury 2011 v. LHP BA .246 OBP .319 SLG .405 OPS .724 Do you go long term with this OF: Ellsbury Crawford Reddick/Kalish/Aviles Note: Local Red Sox Fan and media MVP candidate is 9th in AL OPS and way behind OF'ers Bautista and Granderson, with Granderson also sporting 20 steals 84 RBI's, 98 runs and 28 homers. Ellsbury is also trailing Pedroia, who has 22 steals, AGon and Ortiz in OPS. Who is the team MVP? Agon, Pedroia, Ortiz, Beckett or Ellsbury? Theo is mortgaged down on Crawford, whose career numbers say he won't repeat 2011 in 2012. I see no chance Theo extends Ellsbury or signs him as a FA because he has to look at the career averages if he wants to avoid a Crawbust decision. I don't think ownership would authorize a budget for Ellsbury and Crawford. But let's forget the fact that Theo's not going to extend or sign Ellsbury as a FA. Do you want Theo to: 1. extend or sign Ellsbury as a FA? 2. If so, how much and how many years do you offer? 3. If not, do you trade Ellsbury's 2 years of control, over the winter, or hope he is the 2011 Ellsbury for 2012 and 2013 and pay the likely arbitration award amount of 12 to 14M and hope to get a draft pick or two? 4. If you want Ellsbury retained, who is your 3rd OF'er for 2012? Who is your 4th OF'er for 2012?
    Posted by softylaw

Despite the fact that your are biased against Ellsbury in general, the questions you raise are legitimate ones, except that Theo is not making this decision this year. Since he has Ellsbury under control for two more years, he is not going to move him after the year he just had and if continues to repeat the performance the next two years, Ellsbury's historical numbers he will be reviewing would look alot different. If however is number are good but not great, and if in the next two years CC does not perform up to his contract, then I am sure that the CC signing will definitely be a consideration when the Sox review what type of contract to give Ellsbury. In the meantime why not just admit that Ellsbury is having a fantastic year and despite your comparison to Granderson, if you put Ellsbury's numbers on the Yankees, he would be there MVP.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Hope this puts all of the "Bellsbury" folks on a train out of town. My hunch is Ells is only going to get better. At only 27 he's just hitting his prime years. Let's hope Theo signs hin to a long term deal and soon. Hetchinspete
    Posted by Hetchinspete

there was and has been only one Bellsbury folk.

Sections
Shortcuts