Jair Jurrjens and Martin Prado on the Trading block

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Jair Jurrjens and Martin Prado on the Trading block

posted at 11/4/2011 9:58 AM EDT
    First: 10/13/2011
    Last: 11/4/2011
    Now, you're talking, guys.
    Prado can hit, and play many positions, and Jurrjens is a fine pitcher.
    I recall him stifling the Sox a in 2009 a couple of times during the interleague
    series with the Braves.

Tell us oh wise one, why you refused to look at Ross's career numbers and focused instead on his poor 2011 season, but suddenly Prado's 2011 numbers don't matter...

OBP .302
    SLG .385
    RBIs  57 in 590 PAS

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Prado is a perfect fit with Aviles. Need as many Utility/bench players as possible. Offer Lowrie, see amazing OPS RISP, and Weiland for Jurrjens. Lowrie would be the OPS/RISP the Braves are missing. Lowrie was a better clutch slugger than Oritz. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Because Prado is 28 years old and coming into his prime. Ross is 31 in December.
    Prado is noted for getting big hits late in games throughout his Braves career. He had a career .308 with RISP and .332 with men on base and most important .332 with RISP and 2 outs. OUTSTANDING numbers. A little better than Hillbilly Reddick's horrid numbers. 
    He is very versitile, and gives the new manager some flexibility.
    He hit .300 three years in a row and has a career batting average of 32 points higher than Ross at .293, and a career OBP of .341 to .323.
    In short, oh boring one, he's a far better fit with a bigger upside.
    By the way, do you have a picture of you, with Cody Ross and Adam Dunn in your home?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: Jair Jurrjens and Martin Prado on the Trading block:
    [QUOTE]Prado is a perfect fit with Aviles. Need as many Utility/bench players as possible. Offer Lowrie, see amazing OPS RISP, and Weiland for Jurrjens. Lowrie would be the OPS/RISP the Braves are missing. Lowrie was a better clutch slugger than Oritz. 
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]

Lowrie and Weiland for Jurrjens?  I can't tell if this is a joke or not, I really hope it is.  An injury prone utility INF and an average MLB quality pitching prospect for a 25 year old All-star with 2 years of team control.  My guess is the Braves receive more enticing offers from about 27 teams.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

For the Braves to find a power hitting OF or SS, I do not see any team that willing to part away their own players cuz more than 30% of the teams need to keep their own SS and power hitter especially most of them are cheap to keep such as Bruce of Reds, Andrus/Cruz of Texas, etc.  It is too hard to find them in nowadays as well it is too expensive for most teams to buy power hitter or SS via free agency.  

Best way to have the Braves to take players such as Lowrie, Reddick, Iggy and one medium prospects for Jerijen, and for Prado, more likely lesser deal than Jerijen.  Then the Braves will have some salary relief and buy power hitter and SS via free agency.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-Bay-Fan. Show J-Bay-Fan's posts

[QUOTE]Prado is a perfect fit with Aviles. Need as many Utility/bench players as possible. Offer Lowrie, see amazing OPS RISP, and Weiland for Jurrjens. Lowrie would be the OPS/RISP the Braves are missing. Lowrie was a better clutch slugger than Oritz. 
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]

FCK U MEN! YOU DONT KNOW NOTHING!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]Ells will have to be involved if Jurrgens is coming north and if he is coming with Prado then we are talking about some decent prospects. Forget Lowrie, Iggy, Weiland; we're talking Doubrount, Pimental, Rinaudo, Jacobs--some of your top pitching prospects. So Ells, Rinaudo or Doubrount and Scutaro for Jurrgens, Prado and a prospect. Maybe Ells and Scu would get it done. I think that would get the deal done. They are looking for a SS and they could easily extend Scu.
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

I think you're over valueing Scutaro.  He is below average defensive SS and he is old, no team views Scutaro as a viable SS option for more than a year, 2 at the very maximum.  In the N.L. especially SS is more about defense than offense and Scutaro's value is far more about offense than defense.

I totally agree with the general point though, that the Sox are going to have to part with a lot more than guys like Lowrie and Reddick, who essentially just fill roster spots, in order to get Jurrjens.  Ells and pieces could get it done but I'm not convinced that is worth it.  In terms of prospects only, I don't know that the Red Sox have the pieces to put together a package that other teams couldn't top.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-Bay-Fan. Show J-Bay-Fan's posts

[QUOTE]Ells will have to be involved if Jurrgens is coming north and if he is coming with Prado then we are talking about some decent prospects. Forget Lowrie, Iggy, Weiland; we're talking Doubrount, Pimental, Rinaudo, Jacobs--some of your top pitching prospects. So Ells, Rinaudo or Doubrount and Scutaro for Jurrgens, Prado and a prospect. Maybe Ells and Scu would get it done. I think that would get the deal done. They are looking for a SS and they could easily extend Scu.

Not is Jurrgens. IS JURRJENS
    Not is Rinaudo. IS RENAUDO

Ells will not be involved in the trade. Youkilis yes

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

If anyone is stupid enough to trade Ellsbury, there's better be more coming back than a number four starter.
    Funny how people here seem to overvalue those Sox  "bigtime" prospects, but a guy who's on the cusp of greatness, they want to give away.
    Amazing!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jair Jurrjens and Martin Prado on the Trading block : I think if you offer Ellsbury for Jurrjjens & Prado, there's no need to sweeten the pot.  All three are free agents in 2014, and Ellsbury is coming off the best year by far, but Jurrjjens has the potential to be a top of the rotation starter, a legit #4 in Boston at worst (if healthy).  Swap Venters or Kimbrel for Prado, and I make the deal.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

So after the Red Sox trade Ellsbury for Jurrjens, who plays CF next year? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jair Jurrjens and Martin Prado on the Trading block : So after the Red Sox trade Ellsbury for Jurrjens, who plays CF next year? 
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

One of Sizemore, Kalish or Reddick - whoever wins the job. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Ells will have to be involved if Jurrgens is coming north and if he is coming with Prado then we are talking about some decent prospects. Forget Lowrie, Iggy, Weiland; we're talking Doubrount, Pimental, Rinaudo, Jacobs--some of your top pitching prospects.

So Ells, Rinaudo or Doubrount and Scutaro for Jurrgens, Prado and a prospect.
    Maybe Ells and Scu would get it done.

I think that would get the deal done. They are looking for a SS and they could easily extend Scu.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]I don't think the RS would have very much interest in Prado frankly. He is a LF and the RS are $142M fro one of those.

Ellsbury might get a deal done straight up for Jurrjens but that leaves the RS without any real production from the OF and hoping that the second half of 2011 was a a injury blip for Jair and that he historical results convert in the AL East and Fenway Park.

Not an absurd deal but not ine without potential peril.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I think if you offer Ellsbury for Jurrjjens & Prado, there's no need to sweeten the pot.  All three are free agents in 2014, and Ellsbury is coming off the best year by far, but Jurrjjens has the potential to be a top of the rotation starter, a legit #4 in Boston at worst (if healthy).  Swap Venters or Kimbrel for Prado, and I make the deal.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Because Prado is 28 years old and coming into his prime. Ross is 31 in December. 

Finally, you actually answered a question with something reasonable.
    I'm not wanting to sign Ross until he is 36.
    Prado has a career .341 OBP and a career .774 OPS vs LHPs. 

Prado is noted for getting big hits late in games throughout his Braves career. He had a career .308 with RISP and .332 with men on base and most important .332 with RISP and 2 outs. OUTSTANDING numbers. 

Maybe you should recheck your numbers. 
    I found .290 with RISP (below his overall .293 number) with a .730 OPS
    .287 with RISP and 2 outs (.750 OPS). Not bad, but not "outstanding".
    He has a .726 OPS "Late and Close" and .743 high leverage.

Cody Ross would be a cheap FA. No trade is needed.
    His career OBP is .323 (.018 below Prado).
    His career OPS is .779.
    His career OPS with RISP: .861
    His career OPS with RISP & 2 outs: .841.
    Late & Close:.808 and .838 high leverage.

A lot better than "hillbilly Josh" and also better than city pone Prado.

In short, oh boring one, he's a far better fit with a bigger upside. By the way, do you have a picture of you, with Cody Ross and Adam Dunn in your home?

Who's in your picture? You never make any suggestions on your own: your sole actions here are bashing everyone's ideas without anything offered in return. 
    Posted by GhostofTito[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Slomag offers Sizemore, Kalish, or Reddick to replace Ellsbury in CF. That man is desperate to get rid of Ellsbury. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

Are you serious?????????? Jurrjens and Prado for Ellsbury. I'm not a genious but I do know that you don't trade a super star for two average players. Jurrjens gets hurt way to often and Prado is coming off a terrible season. Nor do I trade Youk, maybe something like Iggs and Kalish for Prado. But stay away from Jurrjens, although his era was below 3 his whip wasn't very good. He doesn't strike out many batters either. Most importantly he's never pitch in the AL. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd think of Ellsbury for Tommy Hanson and O'Flaherty.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Forget about Jurrjens.  He will never pitch for Boston.

I think I have mentioned him in the past, but then I remembered 3 little facts.

1) Kansas City Royals GM and former Atlanta Braves Assistant GM Dayton Moore never lets a former Braves player or prospect sneak off his radar.  Doubt me?  Check out his Royals' roster sometime.

2) The Royals desperately need starting pitching and not much else.

3) The Royals have the farm system to outbid anyone for anything in a trade.

Jurrjens will be a Royal by January.  Book it.  Prado?  Probably not, or at least not as likely....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Forget about Jurrjens.  He will never pitch for Boston. I think I have mentioned him in the past, but then I remembered 3 little facts. 1) Kansas City Royals GM and former Atlanta Braves Assistant GM Dayton Moore never lets a former Braves player or prospect sneak off his radar.  Doubt me?  Check out his Royals' roster sometime. 2) The Royals desperately need starting pitching and not much else. 3) The Royals have the farm system to outbid anyone for anything in a trade. Jurrjens will be a Royal by January.  Book it.  Prado?  Probably not, or at least not as likely....
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

You may be right, but KC is notorious for being stingy with their prospects.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jair Jurrjens and Martin Prado on the Trading block : Youk could be in play, but I'd think given his injuries he has to come back and show himself healthy before any team would entertain aquiring him?
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

No doubt Bean, I hope Youk has a monster year and can stay healthy for us.  With Aviles and/or Lowrie Scuter and Youk could get more rest.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]I would love to see Youk involved in this trade for Jurrjens and Prado. Prado would be very nice to have with the RH bat, plays OF. Not sure this type of trade will happen though. Heck, I would trade Youk straight up for Prado.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]

Prado's OPS was .687 last year.
    Youk's OPS was .833 last year.

How would you make up the difference of .146?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I just don't see the Braves trading Prado or Jurrgens to the Sox for anyone they have available unless Ells was a part of the package.  I think that would not be a good move for the Sox and that they should look elsewhere.  Jurrgens is coming of an injury and Prado off a down year which doesn't make either one that appealing.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jair Jurrjens and Martin Prado on the Trading block : You may be right, but KC is notorious for being stingy with their prospects.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

When have they ever had prospects before?  At elast this many.  They had like 9 of the BA Top 100 last year

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Joe, I agree. I'd rather have Youk at 3rd than Prado, but it's not just about 2011 numbers and the fact that Prado can play OF too.