Jair Jurrjens to be nontendered?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BVTsoxfan. Show BVTsoxfan's posts

Jair Jurrjens to be nontendered?

I seem to recall a great deal of discussion regarding Jurrjens as a possible trade target last offseason.  His numbers from last year are ugly but as one of those low cost flyers, any thoughts?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/11/quick-hits-keppinger-soriano-dodgers-orioles.html

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/j/jurrjja01.shtml?utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-www.typepad.com

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Jair Jurrjens to be nontendered?

I always liked this guy. We should kick the tires.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

If Ben picks up Jurrjens, it's going to be like 2011 again when Ben picked up Cook.  We need solid SP, not non-tender candidate for low-cost-possible-mediocre-return

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

If Ben picks up Jurrjens, it's going to be like 2011 again when Ben picked up Cook.  We need solid SP, not non-tender candidate for low-cost-possible-mediocre-return

It's not an either/or proposition.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

If Ben picks up Jurrjens, it's going to be like 2011 again when Ben picked up Cook.  We need solid SP, not non-tender candidate for low-cost-possible-mediocre-return

You can spend alot of $ and get terrible returns also. Lackey, Zito, Pavano, Igawa, Brown,etc... the list goes on & on. Kick the tires, you can get lucky also sometimes, just take a good luck at Orioles staff this past year. Gonzalez, Chen, and Hamel for almost 1/2 of what RS paid John Lackey last year, anchored the O' staff all year. With RS staff the way it is they should leave no stone unturned. Maybe Lester, Buchholz, and Lackey all pitch great next yr - but if I were a betting man, I'd start turning over some stones?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:

You can spend alot of $ and get terrible returns also. Lackey, Zito, Pavano, Igawa, Brown,etc... the list goes on & on. Kick the tires, you can get lucky also sometimes, just take a good luck at Orioles staff this past year. Gonzalez, Chen, and Hamel for almost 1/2 of what RS paid John Lackey last year, anchored the O' staff all year. With RS staff the way it is they should leave no stone unturned. Maybe Lester, Buchholz, and Lackey all pitch great next yr - but if I were a betting man, I'd start turning over some stones?

I agree with you.  What I'm saying is if Jurrjen is the guy who will be in the rotation on opening day or pitches 130+ innings for the Sox next saeson, then Ben did not address the pitching issue correctly.  He can't depend on those guys every year in and out.  Jurjjens can be backup plan, perhaps sign him to minor league deal and see how he does.  If he somewhat shows he can pitch in the major again and our rotation needs serious help, that's kind of situation he will spot start a game or two IMO. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I heard the same thing when Theo signed Aceves.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Ben should look under EVERY single rock to find more pitching.

I have long been a believer in finding six to eight guys like Jurrjens every year and hope that one or two of them either get healed or fix their problems during the off season.

Even if none of them turn out to help the major league team these guys are going to be low cost and many will even sign minor league contracts with major league invites to spring training.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Nothing worong in considering him. Can we sign him to a ML deal with an opt out,like Cook had, if hes not on the MLB roster say by june-july? We need some low cost depth moves like this...

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:

I have long been a believer in finding six to eight guys like Jurrjens every year and hope that one or two of them either get healed or fix their problems during the off season.

Even if none of them turn out to help the major league team these guys are going to be low cost and many will even sign minor league contracts with major league invites to spring training.

I agree completely with this philosophy. In addition, Jurrjens will only be 27 next season, so it's not like signing some washed-up 37 year-old. If he gets straightened out and returns to form, the upside could be big; if not, we will have risked very little.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Sean, why are they mutually exclusive?  And you cannot compare Cook, who has been terrible almost all his career, to Jurrjens who has been good almost all his career....and is only 26.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

My nephew lives in Atlanta and says he is a talent but a headache as well. Atlanta usually does not like head cases.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I think the thing that a lot of posters are missing is that we cannot have an unlimited roster.

He would serve no purpose in the BP, so he is either part of the rotation, or he is a minor leaguer. Nobody stores major league SPs in the BP just in case they need a #6.  #6 SPs are usually #5 SPs that can no longer land a major league job, like Millwood or Cook.  Or else they are a BP arm that can go 5 like Morales or Aceves.  Or they are a minor leaguer.

In addition, he is going to look at the rosters of the teams that are interested in him.  If the RS tell him that he is their #5 guaranteed, maybe he joins us, but that is not in our best interest.  Or else we sign another #5, in which case it is not in his best interest to join us.

His best interest is in joining a low-end team.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I always liked this guy. We should kick the tires.

I think someone already kick his arm ? TWICE !!! Instead of repairing their arm, just send them to Boston and the  arm will heal by itself.Will be the only team in baseball with a maximum pitch count of fifty.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

53W 37L  3.62-ERA Six Years. Only 26 Years Old, I Like Him......

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:

I agree with you.  What I'm saying is if Jurrjen is the guy who will be in the rotation on opening day or pitches 130+ innings for the Sox next saeson, then Ben did not address the pitching issue correctly.  He can't depend on those guys every year in and out.  Jurjjens can be backup plan, perhaps sign him to minor league deal and see how he does.  If he somewhat shows he can pitch in the major again and our rotation needs serious help, that's kind of situation he will spot start a game or two IMO. 

He would be a ML contract with an invite. A depth move.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

don't know much about this guy but i love the fact that hes young. sometimes a guy just has to find the right system to be in to flourish. look at Miller, bounced from team to team. pitching coach to pitching coach. they all said he wan an enigma, great stuff but just couldn't put it all together. came to boston and now seems like hes found his niche.

as far as being our #5 or coming to boston in a MiL contract with a ST invite i don't know because like i said, i don't know much about him and have never seen him pitch. but you gotta kick the tires on any and everyone who can potentially help the team

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

don't know much about this guy but i love the fact that hes young. sometimes a guy just has to find the right system to be in to flourish. look at Miller, bounced from team to team. pitching coach to pitching coach. they all said he wan an enigma, great stuff but just couldn't put it all together. came to boston and now seems like hes found his niche.

as far as being our #5 or coming to boston in a MiL contract with a ST invite i don't know because like i said, i don't know much about him and have never seen him pitch. but you gotta kick the tires on any and everyone who can potentially help the team

funny thing, it was BV who suggested Miller pitch out of the stretch exclusivly and have his delivery more compact...Seems to have worked...

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

funny thing, it was BV who suggested Miller pitch out of the stretch exclusivly and have his delivery more compact...Seems to have worked...

BV certainly had his moments. super smart guy. just a huge ego and doesn't work well with others

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:

Agreed.  I actually feel like we do a fairly good job of this.  (Prior, Germano, Hill)... While I love these kind of deals, the problem often becomes pulling the trigger on calling them up.  Germano sat in AAA w/ ERA in the mid 2's.  THere was no where to put him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

BV certainly had his moments. super smart guy. just a huge ego and doesn't work well with others

True. Whatever his shortcomings, Valentine did make some good calls on baseball matters...I believe it was his decision to try Morales out as a starter, and he was very much against Bard moving to the rotation in spring training.

Sections
Shortcuts