Jake Peavy Also Hurting This Team

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from razcreation. Show razcreation's posts

Jake Peavy Also Hurting This Team

Jake Peavy was once a top of the rotation starter until he had shoulder injuries years ago with the Padres. He is now in his 30s and no longer has what it takes to be an ace. He came over to the Red Sox in middle of last season and was nothing great to write home about. He struggled in the post season. He is very hittable.

Peavy, Buchholz and Doudrant have stopped this team from reaching .500 +

Keep De La Rosa, Workman in rotation and bring up someone else?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: Jake Peavy Also Hurting This Team

I don't know what the solution is, but I know Peavy is a great guy, I like him--he just can't pitch that well on a consistent basis. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from razcreation. Show razcreation's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't know what the solution is, but I know Peavey is a great guy, I like him--he just can't pitch that well on a consistent basis. 

[/QUOTE]

great guys does not win your games. Peavy just is not the same pitcher he was once with the padres. He had ace stuff back before his injury.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

In response to razcreation's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Jake Peavy was once a top of the rotation starter until he had shoulder injuries years ago with the Padres. He is now in his 30s and no longer has what it takes to be an ace. He came over to the Red Sox in middle of last season and was nothing great to write home about. He struggled in the post season. He is very hittable.

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely right!...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

HE'S HURTING ME

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Before tonight, Peavy had started 11 games in 2014 and gave up:

• 1 ER:  3 times
    • 2 ER:  2 times
    • 3 ER:  2 times
    • 5 ER:  3 times
    • 6 ER:  1 time

So 7 good+ starts, 4 poor starts, and tonight remains to be judged.  From what was expected to be our number 4 starter.  And yet people still b1tch and moan.  And, worse, think minor league guys with limited, mediocre track records are a better bet. Get those job applications to Fenway Park, stat!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

[QUOTE]

I don't know what the solution is, but I know Peavy is a great guy, I like him--he just can't pitch that well on a consistent basis. 

[/QUOTE]

He gave up 3 runs in 6 innings. Not awful. Managerial challenged Farrell brought him out to start the 7th. Tonight's loss is on Farrell.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthomas43. Show mthomas43's posts

How many losses this year have come from this team being down 3 or 4 runs in the first inning and not being able to dig out of that hole.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

I had a teacher in sixth grade.  It took the dumbest of us several months to figure out he was dumber than we were. Farrell. Tito is smarter even

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:

He gave up 3 runs in 6 innings. Not awful. Managerial challenged Farrell brought him out to start the 7th. Tonight's loss is on Farrell.

[object HTMLDivElement]

Yeah, as golden as he was last year, that's how crappy he's been this year. I didn't understand sending him back out either, or at least not letting face more than one hitter. Another poster pointed out too, that the batter who got the hit off Miller was 4 for 6 against him going into that AB. Not good decisions. But as bad as Peavy was in the first, and as much as he should have come out after 6, where is the offense? If your SP gives up 3 runs in 6, there's no excuse not to be right there. They tie the game, then have first and second none out and never score again because the people they are running up there simply cannot hit, it's just that simple. Gomes, Bradley, Herrara, Sizemore, Hassan? Who are these guys? Having Gomes hit behind Ortiz is a joke. No wonder Ortiz' BA is dropping like a rock!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Peavy is what he is. A veteran pitcher. Past his prime. Trying to get by on his experience. A bulldog , who will usually keep you in the game. Can win with enough run support. But he is a four plus ERA guy at this point. There are many out there just like that. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Peavy is what he is. A veteran pitcher. Past his prime. Trying to get by on his experience. A bulldog , who will usually keep you in the game. Can win with enough run support. But he is a four plus ERA guy at this point. There are many out there just like that. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

He is our #3 SP. Not good. Our SP is NINTH in ERA in the AL; our RP is first. If our SP does not improve we will not even reach 81 wins.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

the thing is though, this team can’t score runs consistently. We had multiple opportunities to score runs early in the game but repeatedly failed to get the hits we needed. If this team can’t score runs of a pitcher like house, then we clearly have a problem. Justin masterson has been terrible this year, and we made him look like cy young the other. These are games we should be winning. We should have swept this series with ease, but now we have lost the first two and could end up being swept ourselves. What happens next when we face the tigers and orioles? (two far superior teams) we could easily have another losing streak on our hands as I don’t see either of those series going well for us. How long are we going to send out the same group of pathetic outfielders and hope for a different result? Nava is hitting .130, yet we keep shuttling him up and down as if he is going to help. Hassan? the guy has been in the minors for so long for a reason. Gomes? he’s hitting .231 with a .174 average against righties and he has more k’s than hits. Lets stop pretending like he is an everyday player, his only value is being able to hit lefties well and is really just a pinch hitter off the bench. Not a starter. Sizemore? hitting .225 and is really a back up at this point. Its clear that he is not going to return to the player he once was. Bradley? hitting .201 and has been inconsistent as can be. His defence is whats keeping him in the majors right now, well and the lack of better options in the organization. Victorino? hitting .242 with a .212 avg against righties. Now add to that our clean up hitter ortiz who is hitting .257 and napoli hitting behind him with a whopping .260 average with a ton of k’s. Its not surprising that we have been so bad offensively this season, we lack true middle of the order hitters and quality bats in general. Not to mention we have no real leadoff hitter.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Peavy is not the problem.

to compare 2014 peavy to padres peavy is dumb.  we didnt trade for padres peavy, we traded for #4 / #5 peavy.

and that is exactly what he has been for us.  he is pushed up to #3 because:  clay.  not peavy's fault.  he is a fighter and after a rough first i thought pitched pretty darn well last night.

peavy deserves to be in the rotation and will remain in the rotation (barring injury).  this is inarguable.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

As stated already, the problem is the hitting.  The pitching is actually very good overall.  Peavy tends to over rely on his fastball, but overall is a decent part of the rotation.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Still he went to 7 innings!!!  he have saved bullpen arms in his last four starts.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I suppose it's too much to ask that Workman and RDLR pitch more than one good game, before giving them a guaranteed rotation spot.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I'd be more concerned about running Sizemore out there.  Not to mention the OF fill ins that aren't ready for prime time like Hassan.  I think Sizemore and Hassan struck out in all of their AB's and I am not sure any of them made any type of contact at all or even seen a single ball.  Rice/Lynn/Evans......Greenwell/Burks/Bruno....Manny/Damon/Trot.......Sizemore/JBJ/Hassan........Talk about killing off Baseball's Royalty.......How I long for O'Leary/Bragg/Buford!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

Peavy is not the problem.

to compare 2014 peavy to padres peavy is dumb.  we didnt trade for padres peavy, we traded for #4 / #5 peavy.

and that is exactly what he has been for us.  he is pushed up to #3 because:  clay.  not peavy's fault.  he is a fighter and after a rough first i thought pitched pretty darn well last night.

peavy deserves to be in the rotation and will remain in the rotation (barring injury).  this is inarguable.

This is exactly right.  To start a thread saying Peavy is killing the team becuase he's not Cy Young Padres Peavy from 10 years ago is goofy.  They didnt pay for Padres Peavy, they paid for White Sox #4 starter Peavy because Buccholz took half the year off with a sore baby-holder.

JP is pitching like a #4 guy on a mediocre team. Nothing more, nothing less.

The fact they cant hit, the starters as a whole are inconsistent and they defend like the Bad News Bears is whats killing this team.

Sections
Shortcuts