Jake Peavy deal?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: Jake Peavy deal?

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

Nick Cafardo@nickcafardo

Villarreal is likely being sent to Boston. Maybe other minor league players involved.

Who is he now? Relief pitcher?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Great deal. Iggy was not the long term SS and has come crashing back to earth lately. Face it guys...you have to give up something to get something. We got a potential 2 and certainly a 3 starter....they got an inconsistent SS that other than 3 months has not proven he's the long term answer. Marrero is a very solid glove and Boggy is the top prospect in all of baseball in some people's minds....and they both play SS!!!  Great deal!!  Lets get Young and a solid RHLP and we're looking pretty good.....and odds are we'll keep our top prospects.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

What is Peavey's contract status? We have him for more than this year?

I think he is signed through next year , with an option for 2015. A lot of money , though.

[/QUOTE]

It all comes down to this. If he stays healthy, he'll earn his keep. If not, this board will physically explode.

[/QUOTE]

The first time he gets lit up , the board will explode. And , he will get lit up.  You can count on that.  I'll say it again. This trade will be rued for a long time.  Ben succumbed to the feeling that you have to " do something " at the deadline.  No , you don't. Nothing stupid anyway.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I think he is signed through next year , with an option for 2015. A lot of money , though.

[/QUOTE]

It all comes down to this. If he stays healthy, he'll earn his keep. If not, this board will physically explode.

[/QUOTE]

The first time he gets lit up , the board will explode. And , he will get lit up.  You can count on that.  I'll say it again. This trade will be rued for a long time.  Ben succumbed to the feeling that you have to " do something " at the deadline.  No , you don't. Nothing stupid anyway.

[/QUOTE]

I dont think he'll get lit up if hes healthy dg, hes a very good pitcher. Health is my concern.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Maybe Iggy's "issues" when sent to AAA played a part in this decision. This management team seems to value attitude and chemsitry more than past teams.

I have been a huge Iggy supporter for years. I wanted him as our FT SS at the start of 2012. I'm a bit shocked by this deal. The years of team service favors the White Sox, the contract costs favor the White Sox. The skillset values are a bit uncertain, since much of Iggy's value is potential and not proven, while Peavy's injury history makes his value highly questionable.

Some numbers on Peavy:

After a run of 32, 27, 30, 32, 34, and 27 starts from 2003 to 2008, Peavy has had just one full season of baseball (2012).

His last 4 seasons game's started: 16, 17, 19, 32. He has 13 GS'd this year.

His numbers with the CWS: 36-29  4.00  (ERA+ 108) WHIP 1.155 (8.0 K/9)

2012-2013 combined: ranked 23rd out of 81 SPs in WAR at 5.6

19-16  3.61 WHIP 1.11 (tied for 9th out of 81 MLB SPs and 12th out of 137 MLB SP'ers with 150+ IP from 2012 to 2013 )

T 24th out of 137 in ERA- at 85

Contract:

• 13:$14.5M, 14:$14.5M
      • Peavy receives $15M player option for 2015 if he 1) has 400 IP in 2013-14, including 190 IP in 2014, and 2) is not on the disabled list at the end of the 2014 season.  (He has 80 IP so far this year, so it is not likely he reaches 400.)
      • as part of the deal, White Sox agreed to pay $4M buyout in previous contract in four installments from 2016 to 2019

Sox4ever

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Nick Cafardo@nickcafardo

Villarreal is likely being sent to Boston. Maybe other minor league players involved.

Who is he now? Relief pitcher?

AAA as a relief pitcher for Toledo in the International League.He has a 3.15 ERA

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=villar001bra

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I dont think he'll get lit up if hes healthy dg, hes a very good pitcher. Health is my concern.

[/QUOTE]

I think DG is the only person worried about Peavy getting lit up. He is argueably the most talented pitcher in the rotation. Health is going to be the question.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Peavy is a slightly younger version of Dempster. About the same ERA. Last year Peavy threw 219 innings. Have you guys seen a more competitive pitcher on the mound--I doubt it.

Any day you can trade a smooth fielding SS for a veteran pitcher that wants to pitch in a pennant race when he could have sat in Chitown and collected his salary--you jump all over that trade.

Iggy has an amazing glove but Drew is an older version of Iggy. Drew has an amazing glove and they will both be about .240 hitters--Drew exhibiting more power.

If there are more parts moving perhaps we won't like it tomorrow--I am thrilled with this trade right now. If Peavy gets a sore arm next week so be it. On the surface Iggy for Peavy a no brainer--great deal.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from victoryismine. Show victoryismine's posts

If Iggy is replacing a suspended Peralta, maybe the Sox get him back later in another deal.

And I think they get M.Y. to man third by tomorrow.

Immediate upgrade if they get Young. Iggy cant hit folks....he cant!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

My initial gut feeling is not to like this deal, but at least Peavy is not a 2 month rental like several other options or breaks the bank like Lee.

The $14.5M for 2014 will cut into our payroll spending buget, but will still leave us enough to fill some major slots.

Sox4ever

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

My initial gut feeling is not to like this deal, but at least Peavy is not a 2 month rental like several other options or breaks the bank like Lee.

The $14.5M for 2014 will cut into our payroll spending buget, but will still leave us enough to fill some major slots.

Sox4ever

Moon, dont look over the very real possibility of the Sox going over 189M next year and then resetting again in 2015.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from victoryismine. Show victoryismine's posts

This isnt 1908 and the dead ball era.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I think it's a pretty solid, perhaps typically Cherington-esque move.  He wanted a starter but did not want to part with Bogaerts or Bradley.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

Moon, dont look over the very real possibility of the Sox going over 189M next year and then resetting again in 2015.

[/QUOTE]

That could happen, but I had us at about $44M available to spend and stay under the limit. That may be down to about $34M now. That's enough to sign:

$16M Ellsbury + $8M 1Bman + $6M C + $4MRP

or

$10M Corner IF'er + $10M OF'er +$8M C + $6M RP'ers

A lot depends on Ben's confidence in Boggy at SS, Middy at 3B, JBJ at CF, and Lava/Vazquez at C.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

I think it's a pretty solid, perhaps typically Cherington-esque move.  He wanted a starter but did not want to part with Bogaerts or Bradley.

If Iggy was still a prospect, I'd say he might have been rated our 3rd to 6th highest prospect.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Red Sox are including Class-A shortstop prospect Cleuluis Rondon as part of the deal, according to WEEI.com's Alex Speier (on Twitter), though it's not clear which team will be acquiring him. Baseball America's Ben Badler tweets that Rondon is a very smooth defender at short but offers little with the bat. Rondon is hitting .277/.328/.353 for Lowell this season.

Sox4ever

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

What happens if Clay Buchholz returns in Sept? Whos out of the rotation then? Dubrount? Hes one of the best now. Dempster? 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Yes, I believe Iggy's stock dropped some with his attitude on getting sent down to Pawtucket, and seems BC is big on attitude.  No one really believes he's anything near the hitter he was for more than a month when he returned, most believe he's more like the hitter we've seen in the past couple of weeks.  Also, you know, I know he's a joy to watch in the field and all, but he made more errors than you'd maybe expect, both here and in Pawtucket.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Follow Rob Bradford@bradfo

.Per @AlexSpeier a minor leaguer Red Sox giving up 19-year-old shortstop Cleuluis Rondon of Single-A Lowell

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

What happens if Clay Buchholz returns in Sept? Whos out of the rotation then? Dubrount? Hes one of the best now. Dempster?  

That'd be a nice problem.  It could certainly be Dempster.  But I'm also wondering if Lackey is starting to wear down a bit after his great start.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

Iggy for Peavey? Bad deal, dont like it. Peavey cannot be trusted. 

I agree. Horrible trade. Not the pitcher that the Sox need that is for sure. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

From MLBTraderumors.com:

Villarreal allowed 10 runs in just 4 1/3 innings for the Tigers this season prior to the trade, but he was significantly better in 2012, posting a 2.63 ERA In 54 2/3 innings for the big league club. He averaged 97.1 mph on his heater last season, according to Fangraphs. In 34 1/3 innings at Triple-A Toledo this year, the 26-year-old Villarreal owns a 3.15 ERA with 10.7 K/9 but a troubling 6.8 BB/9 rate.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to antiqueman1's comment:

[QUOTE]

Iggy for Peavey? Bad deal, dont like it. Peavey cannot be trusted. 

I agree. Horrible trade. Not the pitcher that the Sox need that is for sure. 

[/QUOTE]

I could warm up to it if he brings the intensity and stays healthy. Hes definitely a fierce competitor. Boggy being called up and catching on would be great too. We'll all have to wait and see how it works out.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

From MLBTraderumors.com:

Villarreal allowed 10 runs in just 4 1/3 innings for the Tigers this season prior to the trade, but he was significantly better in 2012, posting a 2.63 ERA In 54 2/3 innings for the big league club. He averaged 97.1 mph on his heater last season, according to Fangraphs. In 34 1/3 innings at Triple-A Toledo this year, the 26-year-old Villarreal owns a 3.15 ERA with 10.7 K/9 but a troubling 6.8 BB/9 rate.

Why do we want this guy?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kannaman. Show kannaman's posts

My guess....Middlebrooks and Holt come up tomorrow....Middlebrooks to play third...Holt to be the ultility infielder...the Sox only have one SS right now...Drew. Bogaert's is not ready and has barely played third base so I don't see the Sox doing that...the kid will be up in September for a cup of coffee. Workman could be sent down so that the Sox won't be short of RP's...and to keep him stretched out. There could be other things going on with the rotation...Lackey hasn't looked sharp the last couple of outings...I have read that Dempster has a groin issue that is causing him some trouble and Doubrant could probably use a breather to. Workman has really pitched well....I would hate to see him sent down while he is pitching so well.