Jake Peavy deal?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: Jake Peavy deal?

We sound like a bunch of "Nervous Nellies" this morning. Rejoice---we gave up a great glove---that's it. Even iffffffffff BenC made a mistake, which he didn't, we got a guy with a sound arm and a sore rib. The Sox looked at the Medical Records, he's good to go.

I like the trade--I love the trade, another solid veteran that knows how to pitch for a no hit good  glove SS we were having a hard time protecting in the order along with a weak hitting Drew and a weak hitting Gomes and a weak hitting Salty. Now we can replace the weak hitting SS with two potential bats WMB or Xman.

Who knows--we are certainly stronger in the pitching dept than we were yesterday and we are not reduced by much defensively.

Money wise--you are not signing Ells or Nap next season--so you have covered Peavy's salary.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I will miss Iggy and his glove, but to have gotten the second-best SP available for what we had to give up should be considered nothing less than a coup considering the White Sox were thought to be demanding Bogaerts just a few days ago. This will help us this year and in 2014. I say nice job, Ben.

And while I don't expect anything else major to happen, we do still have all our top trade bait intact, so if the Sox wanted to make a run at, say, an outfield bat, we could still do so.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Buster Olney says they're reviewing medical records.

Finally a deal that gives us much needed depth in the starting rotation.  If Clay returns we can now compete with anyone.

This move made complete sense and also gives us another righty out of the pen in Workman who has been very impressive.  Who plays 3B?  I expect Middy may get another shot because of his power potential.  I don't think Holt or Snyder are every day guys but they could give us a some offense if Will continues to struggle.  Another option would be M. Young but he is struggling badly against lefties which doesn't fill our need for another RH bat any more than A. Ramirez could if he was healthy.  Young would give us depth and hits righties much better than Napoli but that would reduce Carps time which isn't really needed.

Iggy is probably one of the most gifted defensive players I have ever seen but for the first time in many years we have a few options.  I would also love to see Bogy get some big league experience at some point this season but at 20 years old his time will come.  I could be wrong but I see Bogy being another Manny Machado type player at some point.

I still think we need another RH bat for the stretch run but who knows Middy may just be that guy.  After being demoted he should be motivated to regain his starting position if the ability is truly there.   

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I truly hope this turns out to be the deal of the century and we look at it as the reason why we won the Series. But as I look at it now, it seems we traded a potential fixture at shortstop -- the position that has been a revolving door since Nomar left -- for a decent 32-year-old pitcher who hasn't won more than 11 games since  2007.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

I truly hope this turns out to be the deal of the century and we look at it as the reason why we won the Series. But as I look at it now, it seems we traded a potential fixture at shortstop -- the position that has been a revolving door since Nomar left -- for a decent 32-year-old pitcher who hasn't won more than 11 games since  2007.

Revolving door at SS for sure but there had to be a reason our FO chose to keep Bogy over Iggy and I think it will work out.  We have some pretty good young depth at 3B, SS, SP and C for the first time in years which also gives us leverage to make another trade if needed.

Bogy 20, Almanzar 23, Marrero 22, Cecchini, 22, Middy 24, Lav 25, Swihart 21, Vasquez 22, Webster 23, Renaudo 23, Barnes 23, De La Rosa 24, Workman 24

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Jake Peavy has a career 2.33 ERA in septenber & october.

Some say a storm is coming, Some say the end is near.

Some think it's all so hazy, I think it's all so clear.

Some say they have the answers, some say they know the truth.

Some people live in question, some people have no clue.

If there was no tomorrow, if there was just today.

would you make different choices? or would you stay the same?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

W-L?

Yes he won 11 games last year, but lets look a little closer at the numbers, shall we?

Peavy started 32 games last year witha 3.37ERA  219IP  194K  49BB  1.099WHIP  8.0K/9  2.0BB/9 

So as we see here, although he had 11 wins on a mediocre to bad CWS team, Peavy performed like a very good #2 on any MLB team.

By the way, didnt Felix hernandez win a CYA with a 13-12 record?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Actually, Felix Hernandez has won more than 14 games exactly once.

He must not be that good after all!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

The 2 things I don't like about this deal is that I wanted to keep Workman in the starting rotation, atleast for a while longer to see what we have. And I am higher on Montas then most and have a touch of fear about losing a 20 year old starter who touches 100.

On the other hand, I love everything else about it. Felt of the possible pitchers available including Lee and Garza, that Peavy would likely be the best fit and best value. Based on what we gave up, still feel that way.

Its getting closer to Xander time. Unlikely now that we trade Bogaerts anytime soon. Yeeha. Iggy was becoming dead bat walking again. Although I am a bit higher on Rondon then most, neither he nor Wendelken were top 50 prospects. We ended up trading nobody in our top 20 prospects this year. I think we have the strongest system in baseball top to bottom. This deal kinda shows evidence of that.

Peavy is a number one starter if you go by WHIP, K/BB and WAR. Three pretty important stats.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

So all of you haters of this deal how about you tell us what you would have done to help this pitching staff? Look I like Iggy but im sure a lot of you were complaining about him prior to his last call up when he didnt hit a lick .... I saw plenty of that on this board for a pretty long time but now you all are acting like Iggy is this hall of fame guy who has consistly produced for years and we got a useless arm in return?  

You all just might want to think of why Iggy was expendable and the fact that Peavy could really help this team esp if Buch is not healthy....

Just name a frontline type of starters that were available and who would you have traded for him that the other team would say yes to....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Maybe Cechini's quick rise made keeping Boggy at SS and not filling our 3B future need more reasonable.

Sox4ever