Jake Peavy for Michael Choice?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Jake Peavy for Michael Choice?

Now without Holland for first half of the season, Texas should be looking for replacement. Jon Daniels said they are not going after Tanaka after big spending this winter.  I think Peavy will make sense for them.  The Rangers have traded for Fielder and signed huge contract with Choo.  They are again going for it in 2014.  Peavy could be #3 guy behind Darvish and Matt Harrison while Holland heals and can drop down a spot upon Holland's comeback.

Sox send Peavy and $5M to the Rangers for Michael Choice.  Sox will have right hand power bat under team control for several years and will have $9.5M to spend.

Would this trade work for both team?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Jake Peavy for Michael Choice?

Six years of a a Top 100 prospect in outfielder Michael Choice would be a high price to pay for one or two expensive years of Jake Peavy.

The players who match up well in age, contracts and WAR projections are former White Sox teammates Jake Peavy and Alex Rios, a righthand-hitting outfielder with power.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Six years of a a Top 100 prospect in outfielder Michael Choice would be a high price to pay for one or two expensive years of Jake Peavy.

The players who match up well in age, contracts and WAR projections are former White Sox teammates Jake Peavy and Alex Rios, a righthand-hitting outfielder with power.

[/QUOTE]

Good point Hill.  I think Rios makes more sense than Choice too for both teams.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

he can spell both Vic and JBJ as a RHH alternative.  His defense is average and he adds pop to the lineup.  I'm not sure who replaces Rios in Chicago, perhaps they may want to ask for Bryce Brentz with peavy as well....maybe we can get a lower level pitcher in the deal too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

he can spell both Vic and JBJ as a RHH alternative.  His defense is average and he adds pop to the lineup.  I'm not sure who replaces Rios in Chicago, perhaps they may want to ask for Bryce Brentz with peavy as well....maybe we can get a lower level pitcher in the deal too.

[/QUOTE]

Then again probably not.  I think Chicago would expect more from Viciedo and Garcia. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Alex Rios plays for the Texas Rangers, who would have Shin-Soo Choo, Leonys Martin and Michael Choice in the outfield.

http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/team/depth_chart/?c_id=tex

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

Alex Rios plays for the Texas Rangers, who would have Shin-Soo Choo, Leonys Martin and Michael Choice in the outfield.

http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/team/depth_chart/?c_id=tex

[/QUOTE]

I completely forget that Alex Rios went from Chicago to Texas last year.

.......well that was embarrassing. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

If I have a Choice between the two Outfielders it's Choice! As for cash being included no way, the Sox are the ones gambling on a rookie.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

If I have a Choice between the two Outfielders it's Choice! As for cash being included no way, the Sox are the ones gambling on a rookie.

That would be like the Texas trading Alex Rios for prospect righthander Allen Webster ... I guess the Rangers would not be sending any money to Boston.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

[QUOTE]

That would be like the Texas trading Alex Rios for prospect righthander Allen Webster ... I guess the Rangers would not be sending any money to Boston.

[/QUOTE]

Peavy>Rios

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Rios is not a terrible choice.  He has played in the AL East, has had some success, plays at least decent defense in center and in right.   How many years left on his contract?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

Peavy>Rios

Over the past two seasons Jake Peavy has been valued at 6.8 WAR and Alex Rios at 7.3 WAR:

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=1051&position=P

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=2090&position=OF

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

Now without Holland for first half of the season, Texas should be looking for replacement. Jon Daniels said they are not going after Tanaka after big spending this winter.  I think Peavy will make sense for them.  The Rangers have traded for Fielder and signed huge contract with Choo.  They are again going for it in 2014.  Peavy could be #3 guy behind Darvish and Matt Harrison while Holland heals and can drop down a spot upon Holland's comeback.

Sox send Peavy and $5M to the Rangers for Michael Choice.  Sox will have right hand power bat under team control for several years and will have $9.5M to spend.

Would this trade work for both team? 

I mentioned Gentry being a perfect fit because we need another CF who can tear up lefties so I have to ask what is the fascination with Choice?  The A's FO is a pretty good with evaluating talent which is why they dumped Choice for Gentry.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I wouldn't trade Peavy for Rios.

Rios hasn't had an OBP above .334 since 2008 (.337).

His career L/R splits are pretty even (.758 vs RHPs and .792 vs LHPs).

I have faith in Bradley at least vs RHPs, so why trade a guy like Peavy for someone who might just be a slight upgrade vs LHPs?

Yes, he would also be insurance for Victorino, but I still don't see his value to us as equal to Peavy's value to the Rangers.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Victorino will spend time on the DL, as much as I love the guy he will miss 20-35 games and without Elles in the line-up JBJR best be ready.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

[QUOTE]

Peavy>Rios

Over the past two seasons Jake Peavy has been valued at 6.8 WAR and Alex Rios at 7.3 WAR:

[/QUOTE]

Are you saying Peavy isn't better then Rios Hill? Yes, over a two year period, Rios has a tiny bit more fWAR. Peavy also missed a quarter of the season with an injury this year. Peavy has a better WAR according to Baseball Refference over your two year period. And a better fWAR then Rios over the last 3-4-5-6-7-8 years spans.

I definately would not trade Peavy for Rios even if we were desperate for a corner OF.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Peavy>Rios

Are you saying Peavy isn't better then Rios Hill? Yes, over a two year period, Rios has a tiny bit more fWAR. Peavy also missed a quarter of the season with an injury this year. Peavy has a better WAR according to Baseball Refference over your two year period. And a better fWAR then Rios over the last 3-4-5-6-7-8 years spans.

I definately would not trade Peavy for Rios even if we were desperate for a corner OF.

Jake Peavy's injury history is precisely what lowers his trade value (especially as a pitcher). The injury history is so concerning that his contract voids the 2015 option if Peavy ends the 2014 season on the disabled list.

According to Baseball Reference, over the past two seasons Jake Peavy has posted a WAR of 6.7 and Rios a WAR of 6.6.

I merely suggested that Peavy and Alex Rios are of comparable trade value.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

No way I would trade Peavy for Rios.  Rios isn't replacing Vic, and doesn't play CF.

Choice is interesting, but we don't really have room for him until Gomes leaves.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

[QUOTE]

Peavy>Rios

Jake Peavy's injury history is precisely what lowers his trade value (especially as a pitcher). The injury history is so concerning that his contract voids the 2015 option if Peavy ends the 2014 season on the disabled list.

I merely suggested that Peavy and Alex Rios are of comparable trade value.

[/QUOTE]

Somewhat comparable, yes. Just like Rios is somewhat comparable to Sabathia-Strasberg-Latos-Baumgarner-Buchholz-Weaver-Cueto-Cain. You think they are not clearly better then Alex Rios? If they had the same contract as Rios would you even contemplate a straight up trade for Rios for them? But they all have equal or worse WAR the last two seasons then Alex Rios.

Part of it is starting pitching value. Part is just that Rios had an over rated WAR the last two seasons because of BABIP and his playing everyday and accumulating WAR. Rios WAR his 09-11 seasons averaged just 0.8. Rios has 9.7 WAR the last 5 seasons. Peavy 14.0, inspite of missing tons of games.

Sometimes, such as in this case, WAR is misleading and Peavy is clearly better then Rios.

As for the injury concerns with Peavy, there isn't too much of a concern if he has just 1 year left. A starting pitcher on a one year deal has more value then an equal in the field player on a one year deal.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We don't need a corner OF'er.

Shane belongs in RF not CF.

The Nava- Gomes platoon may put up spectacular offensive numbers in LF.

Carp can be our emergency LF'er until help arrives (can you say Podsednik?) after a major injury. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Carp can be our emergency LF'er until help arrives (can you say Podsednik?) after a major injury. 

[/QUOTE]

Good move! Sign Pods to a AAA deal, where he can be insurance in case of injury or JBJ struggles like last yr. IMO JBJ will be fine this yr but never hurts to have an insurance policy. Good speed plays good defense and can hit alittle.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Peavy>Rios

Sorry but Peavy for Rios or Choice makes little sense.  We need a decent backup CF like Gentry who can hit lefties not another corner OF.  Choice has played a total of 7 major league innings in CF. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I would guess that if and when the Red Sox deal Peavy (or Dempster), the goal will not be to acquire someone who "matches up in age and contracts." (Part of the motivation for such a deal would surely be financial.)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Somewhat comparable, yes. Just like Rios is somewhat comparable to Sabathia-Strasberg-Latos-Baumgarner-Buchholz-Weaver-Cueto-Cain. You think they are not clearly better then Alex Rios? If they had the same contract as Rios would you even contemplate a straight up trade for Rios for them? But they all have equal or worse WAR the last two seasons then Alex Rios.

Part of it is starting pitching value. Part is just that Rios had an over rated WAR the last two seasons because of BABIP and his playing everyday and accumulating WAR. Rios WAR his 09-11 seasons averaged just 0.8. Rios has 9.7 WAR the last 5 seasons. Peavy 14.0, inspite of missing tons of games.

Sometimes, such as in this case, WAR is misleading and Peavy is clearly better then Rios.

As for the injury concerns with Peavy, there isn't too much of a concern if he has just 1 year left. A starting pitcher on a one year deal has more value then an equal in the field player on a one year deal.

I deliberately avoided comparing Jake Peavy and Alex Rios solely on 2013 WAR because of Peavy's injury-shortened season.

However, as White Sox teammates in 2012, Peavy posted a WAR of 4.4 in 32 starts while Rios posted a WAR of 4.2 in 157 games. That's comparable value.

Rios, with a career BABIP of .309, posted a BABIP of .323 in 2012 and .311 in 2013.

Peavy, with a career BABIP of .283, posted a BABIP of .272 in 2012 and .268 in 2013.

In other words, each slightly outperformed his career BABIP the past two seasons.

I agree that the Red Sox have no real need for a corner outfielder such as Alex Rios. I merely brought Rios into the conversation as an example of trading a prospect for a veteran.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Pods did well the short time he was here .... in the dark season of 2012

Sections
Shortcuts