jason varitek and the 2012 boston pitching staff

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from scauma09. Show scauma09's posts

jason varitek and the 2012 boston pitching staff

i was just wondering to myself if the loss of varitek has more of an effect than we realize? Or if his presence this year would've made any difference in the struggles of beckett and lester?

should the sox consider bringing him back in some capacity, ie coach, asistant etc? btw i don't think that would turn their season around. this team just isn't that good, and cherington seems like a deer caught in the headlights.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: jason varitek and the 2012 boston pitching staff

In Response to jason varitek and the 2012 boston pitching staff:
    [QUOTE]i was just wondering to myself if the loss of varitek has more of an effect than we realize? Or if his presence this year would've made any difference in the struggles of beckett and lester? should the sox consider bringing him back in some capacity, ie coach, asistant etc? btw i don't think that would turn their season around. this team just isn't that good, and cherington seems like a deer caught in the headlights.
    Posted by scauma09[/QUOTE]  Looks to me that for the last 2 years there has been a lack of leadership & control with that pitching staff !!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from scauma09. Show scauma09's posts

true but the on-field performance has never been this bad for this long.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]i was just wondering to myself if the loss of varitek has more of an effect than we realize? Or if his presence this year would've made any difference in the struggles of beckett and lester? Posted by scauma09[/QUOTE]

I don't know how big an effect if would be, but yes, I think having Varitek this year would have made some difference with Lester and Beckett, and as hfx pointed out before, probably with Bard as well.

When a pitcher has his A game working, it probably doesn't matter who catches him.  Likewise, when a pitcher just doesn't have it, it probably doesn't matter who catches him.

It's all those games in between where I think that a catcher like Varitek can make a difference.  He seems to be able to get the most out of his pitchers.

At the very least, he should have been brought back to continue with the mentoring and development of Salty.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Tek was pretty darn good, but it was time for him to go.  Pitch-calling would not help Lester right now. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]i was just wondering to myself if the loss of varitek has more of an effect than we realize? Or if his presence this year would've made any difference in the struggles of beckett and lester? should the sox consider bringing him back in some capacity, ie coach, asistant etc? btw i don't think that would turn their season around. this team just isn't that good, and cherington seems like a deer caught in the headlights.
    Posted by scauma09[/QUOTE]

Did Beckett have Veritek as his primary catcher down the stretch of the last season?   Guess it didnt matter who catch for Beckett or Lester cuz they have not improved themselves since the first half of the 2011 season!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Shopach has a much better record while catching than Salty. I never thought to much about it but someone mentioned those tougher inbetween times where a pitcher needs a big out and guidance. Perhaps this where the catcher becomes more valuable. Tek was valuable for sure but it was time for him to go. I think the inmates running the show doesn't help at all either. Beckett, Lackey, and Lester all relaxing and having a grand ol time and not getting the job done on the mound when needed. Beckett and Lester are now the main reason this team is a .500 team. The bottom of the rotation has done well. The more I watch salty the more I would like to see a change their. Just my opinion.