Jason Varitek has Allowed 44 Runs in his Last 8 Pitching Starts!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Jason Varitek has Allowed 44 Runs in his Last 8 Pitching Starts!

BA .226 OBP .301 SLG .345 

3 Passed Balls 6 Wild Pitches 24 stolen bases allowed

Lost his cool.

Is 39 years old.

This guy needs to go!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Re: Jason Varitek has Allowed 44 Runs in his Last 8 Pitching Starts!

He does not need to go, but Salty's hot bat needs to play more. If they want to make Tek Beckett's personal catcher like Wake had in years past that is fine with me. But lets be honest he already knows so much about this staff, so why on earth would you give that up just to sign someone else? Then you would all be complaining like you did with Salty earlier this year.

Salty has become much better at handling the pitchers and his bat has turned around because of that. Soon it will be back to plan A from the start of the season, Salty can become the everyday catcher and Tek will be the back-up/spot starter. Plus, Tek's bat has been better lately so no real reason to give him up.

I would actually like to know who you have in mind to bring to replace him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Lavarnway.

When do you show Jason Varitek the door? When he turns 50? How about 60?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

o no doubt Tek becomes more knowledgable each game - he will only "know" the staff better with each passing day... each passing month, and each passing year.  

At this rate and by this flawosophy we could be keeping Tek around for another 2 decades.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sgtnull. Show sgtnull's posts

let's bring up an unproven minor leaguer by all means. the op's threads get more desperate the more he is proven wrong.

and i am certain that Varitek hasn't allowed any runs - as he is not a pitcher.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In Response to Re: Jason Varitek has Allowed 44 Runs in his Last 8 Pitching Starts!:
    let's bring up an unproven minor leaguer by all means. the op's threads get more desperate the more he is proven wrong. and i am certain that Varitek hasn't allowed any runs - as he is not a pitcher.
    Posted by sgtnull

Lesson #1  Never let facts get in the way of a biased opinion.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

This is a stupid thread...one of the stupidest ever created...and that is saying something.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Jim,

Don't underestimate old softy. He's very adept at starting stupid threads. He has a certain flair for it. In fact, the IQ level of his posts/threads gets lower and lower with each ensuing post, he's about to enter negative numbers.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

yeah, Tek's the reason you guys are a game out...oy, get a grip Softy... 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

In Response to Re: Jason Varitek has Allowed 44 Runs in his Last 8 Pitching Starts!:
    let's bring up an unproven minor leaguer by all means. the op's threads get more desperate the more he is proven wrong. and i am certain that Varitek hasn't allowed any runs - as he is not a pitcher.
    Posted by sgtnull

Tell that to harness

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Tell harness about the 1.5 ERA differential this year and how VTek is the luckiest catcher in MLB history or that it is voodoo to keep this trend going for over a decade.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

Tell harness about the 1.5 ERA differential this year and how VTek is the luckiest catcher in MLB history or that it is voodoo to keep this trend going for over a decade.

Posted by moonslav59

Once again you want to give tek credit when the staff pitches well with him behind the dish but place none of the blame on him when they get hit.

Kinda like the fans in here who blame francona for a loss but no credit to him for a win.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

So you're saying CERA does matter but only for small sample sizes?

Gotta remember that one.

-Daf.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

When did Varitek start pitching?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Varitek look like a wooden ornament on one of those old magnetic game boards. He's washed up, and the only way to validate his roster spot is to claim he has magic fingers. The last 8 starts validates that he has nothing to do with good pitching.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

No one has brought up the problem of Beckett essentially demanding Tek to be his personal catcher. So why ruin that chemistry since it has been working so well this year. Tek isn't the best out there but he is the best option right now. Even if we could get a guy like McCann I would still want Tek to stick around to help acclimate the catchers and help with the pitchers.

There is more to a catcher's job than the 9 innings spent behind the plate. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Tek needs to coach and send signals, not take up a roster spot. This has to be his last year, I wish. No more sequels, Jason, or take the act to Tampa.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

What do you want him to block the plate to stop the Runs?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Posted by moonslav59

Good point, and he calls a great game too!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Once again you want to give tek credit when the staff pitches well with him behind the dish but place none of the blame on him when they get hit.

Kinda like the fans in here who blame francona for a loss but no credit to him for a win.

I give credit for VTek having over a decade long record of doing better with our staff than his back-up. I use CERA the way it is supposed to be used: as but one measurement to compare catchers on the same team who catch significant sample sizes with the same pitchers during the same season. He has consistetly done better and it was predicatble he'd do it again this year, and he has. With every samplke size there will be ba games and games where a catcher makes more or less of a difference. It's only through larger sample sizes that definitive judgements can be made.

Yes, the last few games have not looked good for VTek or the pitchers he has caught. I know the catcher is but one factor in how well or badly a pitcher might do on any given night. He's not everything. The pitcher certainly has more to do with it.

For those who call CERA-related factors "voodoo" or "luck", it never ceases to amaze me how in light of a constant trend or pattern of VTek continuously doing better with nearly every pitcher year after yar after year, so many of you shrug it off as meaningless.

Look at how each pitcher does with on catcher, then compare hos he does with the other. Some pitchers are only caught by almost on guy exclusively, so the comparative nature of the CERA stat is not useful. I know that's hard fo one clown to understand here, but it shouldn't be for most of you.

I'm still waiting for someone to give a logical explanation as to why the pattern has continued for over a decade, why the pattern continues for other catchers on other teams as well.

All I hear are cricketts.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

When did Varitek start pitching?
    Posted by chuchos

that was my question.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

The "pattern" includes different sample sizes and remoteness in time, pitcher and space. Anyone could construct a "pattern" and follow the points in the book called "How to Lie With Statistics".

The bottom line is there is no cause and effect on catcher to pitcher, other than psychologically and a pitcher used to a certain catcher.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Maybe he needs Tommy John surgery too.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from steelheadfisherman. Show steelheadfisherman's posts

The "pattern" includes different sample sizes and remoteness in time, pitcher and space. Anyone could constuct a "pattern" and follow the points in the book called "How to Lie With Statistics". The bottom line is there is no cause and effect on catcher to pitcher, other than psychologically and a pitcher used to a certain catcher.  
    Posted by SoxSoldRed

There is a huge conection between catcher and pitcher success.. A comfortable and confident pitcher will pitch better. A pitcher who trusts in the pitch selection and location can concentrate on repeating their delivery. Some catchers are also more adept at realizing the adjustments hitters are making or flaws in a pitchers delivery and acting on that knowledge. Catchers make a difference.

I read this chat room occasionally and have been constantly baffled that the only goal is to win an argument rather that process opinions and grow. Regardless of the handle used you are consistant. Of course, the flip side of that is that you don't grow.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Some people will die believing in a myth. There are charts on approach to every hitter in MLB, and how to sequence location and pitch type. It's all about the pitcher, and the catcher is akin to a caddy in golf. Chicken crap in is chicken crap out.  

Sections
Shortcuts