Re: Javier Vasquez
posted at 1/3/2013 11:56 AM EST
Before I give you my roster, I'm commenting on a 36 year old pitcher who didn't pitch in 2011 and in 5 American League seasons, only had one season with an ERA below 4.67.
1. Aceves - Valuable assuming Farrell can help inside his head. Good swingman.
2. Bailey - Needs to be given a shot to either close or be the set up man.
3. Bard - Probably needs to start 2013 in minors in relief role.
4. Breslow - Excellent lefty bullpen arm.
5. Britton - Needs to prove his worth this year in AA/AAA. Will be 24.
6. Buchholz - Looking forward to a break out year. Possible All Star.
7. Carpenter - 27 years old already. AAA insurance.
8. De La Rosa - Candidate for starting rotation. Great power Arm.
9. Demster - Did not like the move given track record at end of last year, but will give consisten innings at back end of rotation.
10. Doubront - Will be in battle for last rotation spot. Needs to come to camp in better shape, and needs to stop nibbling.
11. Hanrahan - 8th or 9th inning guy. K/BB ratio needs to improve and unproven in AL.
12. Lackey - Hoping he provides veteran leadership. Highest paid member of Red Sox.
13. Lester - Needs to stop nibbling. Key year for him and Red Sox. If he has another bad year, they may move on without him, given Webster, De La Rosa and Barnes.
14. Miller - Lefty specialist. May have finally found place.
15. Morales - Great young arm. Very valuable.
16. Mortensen - Great arm. Good bullpen long guy.
17. Tazawa - Turned the corner? Great movement.
18. Uehara - Overpaid, but good arm for one year.
19. Webster - Hopefully has a great AAA season, assuming he plays there.
20. Wilson - Already 26 and no room on roster. Starter insurance.
21. Wright - Who cares.
22. Butler - Already 26. Trade bait?
23. Lavarnway - Needs to be given opportunity to play.
24. Ross - Good backup, but logjam at catcher.
25. Salty - Package in a trade. What you see is what you get.
26. Vasquez - Far away to tell.
27. Ciriaco - Good utility guy and good 24/25 man guy.
28. Drew - Overpaid but hopefully like all Boras clients, he is playing for a contract and a bridge to Bogaerts.
29. Gomez - AAAA player.
30. Holt - Young and talented. AAA this year.
31. Iglesias - Can't hit. Will be traded by the end of the year. Bogaerts is ahead of him.
32. Middlebrooks - Rock at 3B. Great power.
33. Pedroia- Team leader and lifetime Red Sox player.
34. Ellsbury - Let him walk after this year or trade at deadline. Not worth the money he will ask for. Already 29 and outside of 2011, what has he done?
35. Gomes - Overpaid by a longshot. Will his signing block Brentz?
36. Hassan - No room.
37. Kalish - All talk no action? Probably last year to prove himself with Brentz and Bradley in wings.
38. Nava - AAAA player.
39. Victorino - Overpaid, but should be a good mentor to JBJ in 2014 and 2015.
40. Ortiz - Overpaid. How will he recover from injury at his age?