Jays-Marlins Deal

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Re: Jays-Marlins Deal

In response to Beantowne's comment:

The deal: Is an all in move by a franchise that has now for too long been an after thought in the AL East.

The Blue Jays: Have solidified thier rotation (if Johnson gives them a full season?) and with Reyes at the top of the order they added a high profile impact player. In order for this deal to make sense they have to compete "Now" and that success then needs to be sustained...meaning that the teams payroll will have to begin to creep north of 150M

The Marlins: the jokes on Bud and the taxpayers of South Florida,,,if this trade doesn't force him to rid the game of Loria nothing will. Least of which IMHO he should IMHO impose a tax on the Marlins organization and take away the welfare check (otherwise known as revenue sharing) written by the big market clubs and use that money to help pay down the taxpayer debt on the interest acrued on the bonds...for the next 5 years a sum totaling over 150M. What a farce!

Absolutely right about commish imposing a penalty for teams like the Marlins. MLB teams that receive revenue sharing should be required to carry a  payroll threshold limit of say 50 mil and any team that goes below they should be taxed the same way teams pay a penaly for being above the salary threshold. Prevent the certain owners from lining their pockets w/ other teams $.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to Alibiike's comment:

I wonder if all the kool-aid drinkers would be praising Ben had he made the deal with FL instead.

I bet he would called a genius for acquiring such awesome talent.

have you been reading comments on this forum? Most here, including myself, were very happy that BC didnt pull the trigger on this deal...

My point exactly!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to kimsaysthis's comment:

I wonder if all the kool-aid drinkers would be praising Ben had he made the deal with FL instead.

Why are all the west coast guys always saying the same things about pollyannas and kool-aid drinkers, no matter who is on the team and/or who is in charge. You've also said you're a LA fan. What's up with that? How can you complain no matter what the circumstances, and what bodies are involved? And why are you all so invested in making everyone feel the same by insulting people?

If you were just a Sox fan, you would have your opinion and that would be it. You wouldn't be so concerned that other posters aren't on your hate bandwagon. That really seems to be the main theme with a few of the posters here. "Why aren't you angry? You should be upset about this! Get upset!"

I said I grew up a Dodger fan. Besides the Didgers are in the NL, don't you have a favorite NL team?

Just because I have my own thoughts and opinions why do you criticize that? I happen to believe that Ben Cherington has no clue about being a GM and have seen no evidence to convince me otherwise. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Im not jelous of the jays deal - good for them...i dont think that deal makes a lot of sense for the sox after riddinbg themselves of beckett/crawford anchors ....but a trade for johnson could have been made w/o involving all those contracts...ells and johnson both have one yr left = they are a perfect match....maybe even middlebrooks...i prefer

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

So.....

• JJ - a pitcher I think has great talent/potential, but has had injury problems, had in 2012 a career high ERA (though "only" 3.81), career low K/9, pedestrial WHIP of 1.28.....and all for a one year "bargain" $13.75m plus a draft pick.
    • Buehrle - solid, if unspectacular, pitcher....3/$48m.  Would you sign him as a FA?
    • Reyes - has been great, 2012 a good recovery after 3 years of underachievement....but nearly $20m/year for 5 years?  Big risk.

Are any of those 3 options something you'd aggressively pursue?  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

Im not jelous of the jays deal - good for them...i dont think that deal makes a lot of sense for the sox after riddinbg themselves of beckett/crawford anchors ....but a trade for johnson could have been made w/o involving all those contracts...ells and johnson both have one yr left = they are a perfect match....maybe even middlebrooks...i prefer

I agree with you.   :)

I am not jealous either and good for the Toronto organization and its fans. 

But I do fear the trade because the AL East is now, without a doubt, the most competitive division in all of baseball. 

• Yankees: Will always be in the playoff hunt
    • O's: Will still be a good team since most of the players are still intact.
    • Rays: Their starting pitching will keep them in the hunt (but they need more offense)
    • .....and now the Blue Jays.............

The Red Sox will be facing these four competitive teams a combined 72 times. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Why are all the west coast guys always saying the same things about pollyannas and kool-aid drinkers, no matter who is on the team and/or who is in charge. You've also said you're a LA fan. What's up with that? How can you complain no matter what the circumstances, and what bodies are involved? And why are you all so invested in making everyone feel the same by insulting people?

If you were just a Sox fan, you would have your opinion and that would be it. You wouldn't be so concerned that other posters aren't on your hate bandwagon. That really seems to be the main theme with a few of the posters here. "Why aren't you angry? You should be upset about this! Get upset!"

I said I grew up a Dodger fan. Besides the Didgers are in the NL, don't you have a favorite NL team?

Just because I have my own thoughts and opinions why do you criticize that? I happen to believe that Ben Cherington has no clue about being a GM and have seen no evidence to convince me otherwise. 

There's just waaay too many Dodgers' fans here who all happen to hate every move the Sox make, and they all hate Cherrington. You all seem very invested in getting Sox fans upset about things they're not upset about. FTR IMO the natural inclination would be for a Dodgers' fan to also be a Yankee fan if you really have two teams. Weren't the Dodgers once in New York?

I honestly don't believe there are that many of you. It's really too ridiculous to be accidental. I think you're probably just one person, but no one ever thinks about it because they're more concerned about positive Sox fans having more than one screenname.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

There's just waaay too many Dodgers' fans here who all happen to hate every move the Sox make, and they all hate Cherrington. You all seem very invested in getting Sox fans upset about things they're not upset about. FTR IMO the natural inclination would be for a Dodgers' fan to also be a Yankee fan if you really have two teams. Weren't the Dodgers once in New York?

I honestly don't believe there are that many of you. It's really too ridiculous to be accidental. I think you're probably just one person, but no one ever thinks about it because they're more concerned about positive Sox fans having more than one screenname.

Thats funny because i just recently got accused of possibly being harness...I got a good laugh though. Some people are way too paranoid...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Thats funny because i just recently got accused of possibly being harness...I got a good laugh though. Some people are way too paranoid...

You're pretty much a positive Sox fan as was Harness. That's always been the target on this board. Soooooo what's your point?

And even the suggestion of all the negative posters who sound exactly the same and complain about the team no matter who the players are and who is in charge is met with talk of paranoia. You gotta laugh.

Hey, but thanks for making my point.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Columnist Scott Spratt at The Hardball Times analyzes the blockbusters trades by the Red Sox and by the Marlins:

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/the-marlins-the-red-sox-and-goodwill/

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

You're pretty much a positive Sox fan as was Harness. That's always been the target on this board. Soooooo what's your point?

And even the suggestion of all the negative posters who sound exactly the same and complain about the team no matter who the players are and who is in charge is met with talk of paranoia. You gotta laugh.

Hey, but thanks for making my point.

No point. I just think its funny when some try to identify anonymous posters on a chat forum with nothin but an empty guess. Unless its obvious like softy of course, seems like a waste of time. Id rather talk baseball.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

I can tell you all this much from the great frozen North. We are excited!!! You guys have 2 recent Championships, in Baseball alone, let alone the Basketball, Football, and Hockey wins. Toronto - BIG FAT ZERO for 20 years. I'm a Bruins fan so I don't care about the Leafs. 

We now have a pretty decent Starting staff, great bullpen, lots of speed on the paths, and good power hitters - Josie Batista & Edwin Encarnacion (sp). Yes there are gaps, and there are players that still have to mature - Brett Lawrie - but for this season anyway, we have a good chance to challenge for the Division, and most likely a WC.  The Jays can wait until the trade deadline and fill the final gaps then. 

Hopefully you can all come up to visit here when the Sox make the roadtrip. Glad to have you.

Sections
Shortcuts