JBJ b LOVELACING.. methinks he b sent down, AGREE?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: JBJ b LOVELACING.. methinks he b sent down, AGREE?

In response to steven11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

JBJ needs to stay when VIC comes back.  I know Nava will turn it around and be better than this, but if everyone is playing healthy he still might be the 4th outfielder.  I like having Sizemore/JBJ/Victorino in the outfield.  That is a VERY strong outfield.  JBJ is starting to turn it around with the bat too, He's not hitting GREAT but he is above the Mendoza line and a lot of his hits have been clutch, and he's put together some great PA's with a OBP of .357

He's not a burner, and I don't know why people keep on saying and thinking that he is but Jackie Bradley Jr does not have great speed.  I think people just assume it because he is an elite defender in center field.  When it is all said and done, I think the only difference between Ellsbury and Bradley JR. will be the stolen bases.

And quite frankly, if he can stay healthy and not cost $20+ a year I'll take that all day long.

================================================================

he is faster than the other three and is miles ahead defensively...so his worth as a late inning replacement is immense...i agree that vic, jb, and grady will be a very nice outfield to watch play...now if we can string together a few big hits when its needed....i am a little concerned about lackey/douby too but they will suffice as long as peavy and lester bring it

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

JBJ is not faster than Sizemore, and Victorino who both have plus speed.  They aren't elite baserunners like Ellsbury but they are very good, and fast runners.  JBJ is not fast, he has amazing instincts and gets off to a faster start than anyone else to the ball and that is why he is an elite Centerfielder....but running from 1st to 2nd JBJ gets beat by those two any day of the week.  I still think he might be a 10-15 bagger just because he has such great instincts.

[/QUOTE]

As far as the outfield goes, instincts are better than speed.  As far as base running, he needs work but he still gets more looks and throws to first from pitchers than size.  As far as Vic goes, he may not be the same Vic as last year.  JBJ is on his way up the ladder and should be given the opportunity to play.  I doubt he goes down or plays anywhere but center. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree, I think JBJ should stay up and I think he should play almost everyday.  I'm only saying that he isn't that fast, he has average speed for a MLB player.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

JBJ needs to stay when VIC comes back.  I know Nava will turn it around and be better than this, but if everyone is playing healthy he still might be the 4th outfielder.  I like having Sizemore/JBJ/Victorino in the outfield.  That is a VERY strong outfield.  JBJ is starting to turn it around with the bat too, He's not hitting GREAT but he is above the Mendoza line and a lot of his hits have been clutch, and he's put together some great PA's with a OBP of .357

He's not a burner, and I don't know why people keep on saying and thinking that he is but Jackie Bradley Jr does not have great speed.  I think people just assume it because he is an elite defender in center field.  When it is all said and done, I think the only difference between Ellsbury and Bradley JR. will be the stolen bases.

And quite frankly, if he can stay healthy and not cost $20+ a year I'll take that all day long.

he is faster than the other three and is miles ahead defensively...so his worth as a late inning replacement is immense...i agree that vic, jb, and grady will be a very nice outfield to watch play...now if we can string together a few big hits when its needed....i am a little concerned about lackey/douby too but they will suffice as long as peavy and lester bring it

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

JBJ is not faster than Sizemore, and Victorino who both have plus speed.  They aren't elite baserunners like Ellsbury but they are very good, and fast runners.  JBJ is not fast, he has amazing instincts and gets off to a faster start than anyone else to the ball and that is why he is an elite Centerfielder....but running from 1st to 2nd JBJ gets beat by those two any day of the week.  I still think he might be a 10-15 bagger just because he has such great instincts.

[/QUOTE]

As far as the outfield goes, instincts are better than speed.  As far as base running, he needs work but he still gets more looks and throws to first from pitchers than size.  As far as Vic goes, he may not be the same Vic as last year.  JBJ is on his way up the ladder and should be given the opportunity to play.  I doubt he goes down or plays anywhere but center. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree, I think JBJ should stay up and I think he should play almost everyday.  I'm only saying that he isn't that fast, he has average speed for a MLB player.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I'd say above average speed. There are a lot of slow players in MLB.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I'd say above average speed. There are a lot of slow players in MLB.

[/QUOTE]

Oh I'm not saying he is slow, I just don't see above average speed in him, and speed isn't exactly a tool that someone develops when they get older.  I think sometimes we assume speed based on a players position or possibly because of minor league stats as well.

I remember everyone thinking Cecchini had speed after his 51 stolen base season.  As Cecchini said when asked about his speed "well...you can't be slow" he was eluding to the fact that he attributed his numbers based on skill and less speed, however you can't be slow to steal 51 bags.  However the scouting at the time had him as an average runner, with not great speed; and that holds today as well.  If you have average to above average speed and you run a lot....anyone can steal a ton of bags in the lower minors.  The catchers and pitchers being run on just don't have the same capacity to control the running game.  The next season Cecchini stole 23 bags, and only 1 so far this year.  He is probably a 10-15 SB guy in the majors; which isn't a knock with his hit tool and overall ability to run the bases very well.

I see JBJ in a similar manner, he isn't slow by any means, but he isn't fast either.  He makes up for not having blazing speed through great instincts and baseball know how.  Overall, I consider that an asset.

The guy in our system who I think has the best speed and MLB future potential combo is Mookie Betts.  A guy who has even better speed but further away would be Manuel Margot....who by all accounts has elite speed.  He might even be as good of a defender as JBJ, and with JBJ's arm and the Large field in Fenway I often wonder if JBJ slldes over to right one day If Margot ever finds his way to Boston in 2-4 years from now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

anyone who thinks Jb should be sent down in favor of keeping the Three Horseman of Mediocrity ...

As always - 100% correct!

[/QUOTE]

And the winner of the best line of the morning is..... ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to clean the coffee I spit up while reading it off my keyboard and screen. :-)

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

[/QUOTE]

lol  ty...but seriously is anyone in the sox brass actually having this thought? please tell me no

[/QUOTE]

That line wouldn't have been as funny if it weren't so TRUE!  :-)

IMO the FO should be committed to putting the best nine players on the field every day and it's clear to me that would involve JBJ being in CF.

Winning games involves two things:  Scoring runs and keeping your opponent from scoring runs.  I sometimes (often) wish that the defensive metrics were as easy to understand as offensive metrics and there was a way to play one against the other.  Does the difference between the offensive contribution of JBJ and any one of your "Three Horsemen" outweigh JBJ's obvious defensive superority? It's hard to tell, but it seems like every time a CF doesn't get to a ball that someone else (named JBJ) would have gotten to the other team's offense scores runs, and often more than one.  That's probably because when a CF doesn't get to a ball it either results in a run-scoring double or the batter ending up in scoring position. 

In addition to THAT you've GOT to take outs away from a team. A team is allotted three outs in an offensive inning and if you have a player that can get to balls that an average OF-er won't get to you have effectively limited that team to two outs that inning.  That's HUGE!  And the flip side of it is that if you have an OF that doesn't make the average play you've effectively given that team four outs in that inning.  And that's also huge.  And JBJ will get to balls that none of the Three Horsemen will get to, and I don't think anyone would rank any one of those three as being better than average defensively.   

This doesn't even begin to go into the philosophy of the Sox not making moves because they don't want our castoffs going to the Yankees.  Carp, for example, is an adequate first baseman with adequate offensive numbers but he's not going to make the Yankees as much better as having JBJ will make the Sox better.

[/QUOTE]

1.  Don't try to explain defense to georom.   He's a self-proclaimed expert at it.   It's like trying to explain religion to the Pope, except His Holiness would probably make an actual salient point and at the very least, do more than simply counter all your points by typing <flush> and then repeating his qualifications.  (Although from the Pope, I find that to be acceptable.)

2. As I pointed out in the pre-season and was told "No way!", Nava has an option left.  There will be no trades or complicated decisions.  You might feel Carp is better than Nava, but bear in mind, this way they keep them both...

[/QUOTE]

even the Pope knows that Gomes is a defensive hack and JB a stud....dont you ever get tired of carrying the water for the front office? case in point the Roberts signing....more lateral moves by Ben trying to squeeze anything out of marginal players rather than give youngsters a shot...do you even watch the game at all? jb is a gold glove caliber outfielder right now with his range, instincts, and arm....let him play everyday in CF where he belongs....Gomes can keep busy on the bench with his war memorabilia 

[/QUOTE]

Don't you get tired about whining about EVERYTHING the Sox do, like you have been for years?   you complained about their first round draft pick last year without even knowing what postion he played.  Oh, and then after he threw three innings and gave up 2 earned runs, you cited that as proof you were right.

When the Sox do go with the kids, you whine about that, too.  The Sox give plenty of kids on their farm chances; its not like they get buried for years.  I guess, unlike you, I don't know for certain when/if they are ready. 

I don't mind veterans in these short term roles.  "Letting the kids play and no one else "is the plan used by the Marlins to construct their roster.  Bringing up Roberts is just whining.  Were he signed in December to play 162 games, yes, whine.  He was a short term stopgap

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

How is Roberts in any universe an example of "blocking the youngsters"???? He was a short term fix to fill in a defensive role and add a RHH with WMB on the D.L. for a short term.  When WMB's comes back....the "youngster" will continue to get his long look this year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]

1.  Don't try to explain defense to georom.   He's a self-proclaimed expert at it.   It's like trying to explain religion to the Pope, except His Holiness would probably make an actual salient point and at the very least, do more than simply counter all your points by typing <flush> and then repeating his qualifications.  (Although from the Pope, I find that to be acceptable.)

2. As I pointed out in the pre-season and was told "No way!", Nava has an option left.  There will be no trades or complicated decisions.  You might feel Carp is better than Nava, but bear in mind, this way they keep them both...

[/QUOTE]

even the Pope knows that Gomes is a defensive hack and JB a stud....dont you ever get tired of carrying the water for the front office? case in point the Roberts signing....more lateral moves by Ben trying to squeeze anything out of marginal players rather than give youngsters a shot...do you even watch the game at all? jb is a gold glove caliber outfielder right now with his range, instincts, and arm....let him play everyday in CF where he belongs....Gomes can keep busy on the bench with his war memorabilia 

[/QUOTE]

Don't you get tired about whining about EVERYTHING the Sox do, like you have been for years?   you complained about their first round draft pick last year without even knowing what postion he played.  Oh, and then after he threw three innings and gave up 2 earned runs, you cited that as proof you were right.

When the Sox do go with the kids, you whine about that, too.  The Sox give plenty of kids on their farm chances; its not like they get buried for years.  I guess, unlike you, I don't know for certain when/if they are ready. 

I don't mind veterans in these short term roles.  "Letting the kids play and no one else "is the plan used by the Marlins to construct their roster.  Bringing up Roberts is just whining.  Were he signed in December to play 162 games, yes, whine.  He was a short term stopgap

[/QUOTE]

I trust YOU to be right on the issue of Nava and options.  And as for my thinking Carp is better than Nava I think that you could put them both in a hat, shake them up, and pull one out and (almost) not know which one you've got! 

As I assume that the rest of your wasn't directed at me.  :-)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

If Bradley gets sent foe negron Vic returns then I will have no faith left in the fo. Nava is terrible on both sides of the ball and is the easy choice to go. He has proven little in the mlb and at this point is only hurting the team. Carp at least has some pop but is not much better. This is not a hard choice, nava or carp has to go. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If Bradley gets sent foe negron Vic returns then I will have no faith left in the fo. Nava is terrible on both sides of the ball and is the easy choice to go. He has proven little in the mlb and at this point is only hurting the team. Carp at least has some pop but is not much better. This is not a hard choice, nava or carp has to go. 

[/QUOTE]

nava has to go....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE] 

[/QUOTE]

Nobody would argue about the defence part, but there's also a certain value in hitting the occasional 3-run homer.  We don't win last night's game without Gomes.

As always, just let Ben and John figure these things out...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE] 

[/QUOTE]

Nobody would argue about the defence part, but there's also a certain value in hitting the occasional 3-run homer.  We don't win last night's game without Gomes.

As always, just let Ben and John figure these things out...

[/QUOTE]

JBJ has won us a game with some clutch hitting as well.  Gomes isn't much more than a .244/335 guy.  But he has had some clutch hits for us.  I'm pretty confident that that is JBJ's offensive floor this year (which he might not beat out by that much as he does stsill have some adjusting to do) and at a premium position as well.

I like Gomes, and think he should stay as we need more RHH, but JBJ needs to stay as well. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

Me thinks its Nava. He is not hitting. He has and option left to be sent down. JBJ is not hitting either but he is tied with the best glove on the team with Vic. They need some one out there to cover ground. I would keep Carp around he is a good hitter, just as long as he does not play everyday.  I would send Nava down to find his game. Plus the reason they let ellsbury go besides of the money was JBJ RIGHT? The question if Holt keeps getting hits what do you do when Middlebrooks comes back next weekend.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

The new boss is the same as the old boss. The dynamic duo that is Mod 1 and Mod 2 have failed before starting.

Just the TITLE of this post should be enough to fire away. Mr. Moderator, TEAR DOWN THIS THREAD!! If you didn't figure it out, here's a clue...it refers to a sexual act.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I can see sending Nava down to make room for Vic, but I am far, far, far from writing Nava off. The guy has a solid career sample size compiled vs RHPs, and his numbers don't lie.

Out of the top 100 OF'ers in MLB by PAs since 2012, nava ranks #17 in OPS vs RHPs at .840. He's 3rd in OBP vs RHPs at .390! Only Trout and Choo are better. The 671 PA sample size is large enough to not be called a fluke. His current woes could just be a slump. He deserves a chance to prove himself, even if it takes a minor league stint to do so. Do not release Nava.

In a day and age with league wide struggling offenses, you don't cut a guy like Nava loose over a tiny sample size tough stretch.

Sox4ever

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I can see sending Nava down to make room for Vic, but I am far, far, far from writing Nava off. The guy has a solid career sample size compiled vs RHPs, and his numbers don't lie.

Out of the top 100 OF'ers in MLB by PAs since 2012, nava ranks #17 in OPS vs RHPs at .840. He's 3rd in OBP vs RHPs at .390! Only Trout and Choo are better. The 671 PA sample size is large enough to not be called a fluke. His current woes could just be a slump. He deserves a chance to prove himself, even if it takes a minor league stint to do so. Do not release Nava.

In a day and age with league wide struggling offenses, you don't cut a guy like Nava loose over a tiny sample size tough stretch.

Sox4ever

[object HTMLDivElement].   I tend to agree with that. Nava is a better hitter, at least from the left side, than he has shown so far this season. He has worked hard to become the player that he is. While he has an option remaining, I think he has reached the point where he should not spend any more time in the minors. I think the Sox put a little too much pressure on him by expecting him to lead off. The Sox have a decision to make. Not an easy one. My choice would be to trade Carp. It is a gamble because he can hit. My guess is that they will send JBJ back to Pawtucket. I don't agree with it , but it is understandable, given the choices. He is not hitting much and while his arm is indeed strong, we saw today that it can also be inaccurate and some of his throws are ill advised. Defense is always important, but you do need some offensive production from your outfielders. I think they will send Jackie to Pawtucket unless an attractive trade materializes. I do still believe that Bradley can hit and will become a very good player on this team.  As an afterthought, I agree with Youkilis that the title of this thread is unacceptable in this forum. I'm no prude, far from it, but let's try to keep it decent folks. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

im for keeping Nava too...i think Carp is the odd man out but JF seems to love her versatility and attitude

As always - 100% correct!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

[object HTMLDivElement].   I tend to agree with that. Nava is a better hitter, at least from the left side, than he has shown so far this season. He has worked hard to become the player that he is. While he has an option remaining, I think he has reached the point where he should not spend any more time in the minors. I think the Sox put a little too much pressure on him by expecting him to lead off. The Sox have a decision to make. Not an easy one. My choice would be to trade Carp. It is a gamble because he can hit. My guess is that they will send JBJ back to Pawtucket. I don't agree with it , but it is understandable, given the choices. He is not hitting much and while his arm is indeed strong, we saw today that it can also be inaccurate and some of his throws are ill advised. Defense is always important, but you do need some offensive production from your outfielders. I think they will send Jackie to Pawtucket unless an attractive trade materializes. I do still believe that Bradley can hit and will become a very good player on this team.  As an afterthought, I agree with Youkilis that the title of this thread is unacceptable in this forum. I'm no prude, far from it, but let's try to keep it decent folks. 

[/QUOTE]

U expect to change the OP?

On another subject, I like JBJ; the ball that Soriano hit would have been a great catch, but it was do-able; no knock on him for that; but his tools are undeniable. Also, I would keep Carp over Sizemore; don't be surprised if that's the case; that is, unless another guy has options, including relievers or possibly creative use of the DL.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

They are not going to trade Nava, Gomes, Grady or Carp just for the sake of making room for Vic. If the return is not a plus, they won't make the deal.

soxprospects.com has Nava with one option left and JBj with 2. Either we get creative with the DL or one of them goes to AAA until further notice.

I hope we keep JBJ on the 25 man roster, but I am not even close to giving up on Nava as one of our best offensive threats vs RHPs. Maybe Grady could use a 15 day rest/rehab.

Sox4ever

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

[QUOTE]

They are not going to trade Nava, Gomes, Grady or Carp just for the sake of making room for Vic. If the return is not a plus, they won't make the deal.

soxprospects.com has Nava with one option left and JBj with 2. Either we get creative with the DL or one of them goes to AAA until further notice.

I hope we keep JBJ on the 25 man roster, but I am not even close to giving up on Nava as one of our best offensive threats vs RHPs. Maybe Grady could use a 15 day rest/rehab.

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

I guess we will know soon if JBJ goes to McCoy.  I tend to doubt it happens but JF seems to follow tito''s love for his veterans.

Speaking of Tito, he would have got the umpires to call that shot by dustin a homer the other night.  We saw him do it at least once when he coached here.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

case in point the Roberts signing....more lateral moves by Ben trying to squeeze anything out of marginal players rather than give youngsters a shot...do you even watch the game at all? 

I'm a big proponent of giving kids a shot, but we have no kids ready to take over at 3rd.  Cecchini has a .759 in AAA this year, and a career fielding % of .931.  Compared to a mediocre fielding talent like WMB, WMB has a .953.  We might be talking about a full season 25-30 errors out of 3B.  Most times, if you lose a guy for 2-3 weeks, you're better off with a AAAA player than trying to force a lower level guy to be promoted.

[/QUOTE]

im not a fan of the two week hires from outside of the organization jb...just promote them and give them a taste of the bigs...when they play well, they should stick - field your best team out there

[/QUOTE]

Sometimes "fielding your best team" means going outside the organization for short term help.  Just because you are not a fan of that type of move does not mean it was not a smart move...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I trust YOU to be right on the issue of Nava and options.  And as for my thinking Carp is better than Nava I think that you could put them both in a hat, shake them up, and pull one out and (almost) not know which one you've got! 

As I assume that the rest of your wasn't directed at me.  :-)

[/QUOTE]

While I responded originally to you and your post, yes it was directed at georom.  I save my anti-conspiracy retorts for you ;)

And I agree Carp and Nava are pretty interchangeable, right down to each looking remarkably unathletic.   I think if they were walking down the street together and someone said “Hey look! There goes two professional athletes!”, most people would look around and say “What? Where?  Are they behind Brian Posehn and that little kid?”