JBJ may be an offensive liability

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wvwc61. Show wvwc61's posts

JBJ may be an offensive liability

Although it was a small sample size, didn't JBJ struggle offensively possibly because pitchers

adjusted to his weaknesses? How can they just hand him the position until he shows that he can hit major league pitching. They should have gone after Granderson and give JBJ more time to develop hoping that he would be the starter when Shane's contract is up. The Sox did nothing to make up for the loss of JE. BC said it's difficult to replace JE's skills but we can do it by finding a player with more power. Their only chance now to replace JE  is to make a trade either now or during the season. Right now the Sox offensively are not as good as they were last year. No one is asking them to repeat as champs. But at least put a team out there offensively that will able to score a lot of runs. With JBJ in center, ZB at short, and Middy at third it appears as if 2014 mqy be a bridge year and that ain't good enough for the prices they charge and the budget they have to work with. Oh yes, we are thrilled they were champs, but don't rest on your laurels. Put a team out their that will compete for the playoffs. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: JBJ may be an offensive liability

In response to wvwc61's comment:

Although it was a small sample size, didn't JBJ struggle offensively possibly because pitchers

adjusted to his weaknesses? How can they just hand him the position until he shows that he can hit major league pitching. They should have gone after Granderson and give JBJ more time to develop hoping that he would be the starter when Shane's contract is up. The Sox did nothing to make up for the loss of JE. BC said it's difficult to replace JE's skills but we can do it by finding a player with more power. Their only chance now to replace JE  is to make a trade either now or during the season. Right now the Sox offensively are not as good as they were last year. No one is asking them to repeat as champs. But at least put a team out there offensively that will able to score a lot of runs. With JBJ in center, ZB at short, and Middy at third it appears as if 2014 mqy be a bridge year and that ain't good enough for the prices they charge and the budget they have to work with. Oh yes, we are thrilled they were champs, but don't rest on your laurels. Put a team out their that will compete for the playoffs. 

JBJ will almost definately be a liability from the standpoint of trying to replace Ellbury.  You can't replace a 300 hitting leadoff batter who scored 92 runs, with 8 triples and 50 SB's in one year.  I could be wrong but it would be a miracle from what I have seen fron BJ so far.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

He will but that is the reason he will start in AAA.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Sure.  Four years of Granderson should have been enough time.  I assume in 2018 your fears will be acquiesced. ..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

So how does he show he can hit major league pitching until he's given the chance? You can't simply look at batting average. At some point, you evaluate his approach, what he did in the minors, the improvement his might have shown late in the year and make a decision on if you think he's ready. That's not "handing a guy" the job. That's evaluating the talent and making a decision that you think he's ready.

On the bold statement -- that's that got the Sox in trouble in the first place. The "we-have-to-win-now-and-all-the-time" attitude. You're not going to win the World Series every year and there are not guarantees of success no matter what course you take. So you keep a clear head, and try to assemble the best talent. And sometimes you take a short-term struggle for a long-term gain.

It's funny how there has been multitudes of complaints of how the Sox don't have enough homegrown players. And now that they have guys with tremendous upside and could be fixtures for a number of years, now there are a lot of posters who are too scared to give them the chance and want to dump them for someone else's castoffs.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

He's hit at every level and I believe he'll learn to become a consistent hitter at the MLB level.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

they won the WS last year. They get a pass on giving Bradley a shot at the job.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

Jbj is a far more complete player then iggy was and some are still lamenting his departure. Jbj is simply a different kind of player then ellsbury was. Less speed more fundamental approach defensively. Probably a lower batting average but better plate approach. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to RSF4Life234's comment:

Jbj is a far more complete player then iggy was and some are still lamenting his departure. Jbj is simply a different kind of player then ellsbury was. Less speed more fundamental approach defensively. Probably a lower batting average but better plate approach. 

And to add -- Bradley batted .243 in September, which isn't great but was an improvement from earlier in the year and was much better than what Iggy hit in September 2012.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Typical OP from who knows where

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

I think after last years success that we might want to trust that Cherington will seek an alternative if Bradley struggles and falls short of expectations. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I move that this board abolish the phrase "bridge year" on the grounds that no one who uses it has ever grasped what it meant...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to notin's comment:

I move that this board abolish the phrase "bridge year" on the grounds that no one who uses it has ever grasped what it meant...

Well, we'll just cross that bridge when we get there.

Innocent

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

JBJ is not going to replace Ellsbury's offensive production (at least not right away)...let's get that straight, first and foremost.

And, that said, who says he has to? I see a lot of posters seemingly operating under the assumption that Bradley should only be starting if he's going to "replace" Ellsbury's offense, which is grossly unfair. Stop trying to cram him into a Jacoby-shaped hole...he's going to be a fine player in his own right. The pertinent question is not whether he's going to be an Ellsbury clone in 2014 but whether he's major league ready.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Remember, not only was JBJ's 2013 sample size small (just over 100 PAs), but it was spread over 4 seperate stints:

14 games start of season

7 games end of May/early June

4 games in mid July

14 games to end the season

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

He certainly has a great approach in the minors!  The question is, does it carry forward in the bigs?  He was certainly exposed as not major league ready early on last season, as he couldn't seem to pick up the breaking ball inside to save his life.  I'm sure they've been working on it, & we'll see s for sure come April.  I think we'll know shortly whether or not the Sox think he's ready to step into a full time role in CF.  I think he'll be a good one in time....   Let's hope he continues to show a short learning curve!!!!!  We need him to be ready to rock & roll come April!!!!   Be prepared for growing pains.  I'm ok with it.  I'd rather go with the kid, & enjoy the bumpy rise.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

sample size, sample size, sample size. And now people say "small sample size" as if a sample would be anything other than small.

small sample size, small sample size, sample, sample, sample, sample, sample, sa......

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Time for a urine sample from the ench.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Sure.  Four years of Granderson should have been enough time.  I assume in 2018 your fears will be acquiesced. ..

Actually, I prefer signing Choo for 7 years. Hopefully by 2021 we'll have been reassured that Bradley Jr. can hit major league pitching.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Career .297/.404/.471 doesn't mean anything to you?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

I think that Bradley will do everything that Ellsbury did except maybe steal as many bases, but it may not be all accomplished in just one year.

Ellsbury was a very good player for the Sox, but he had some holes in his career as well that somewhat were covered up by his phenomenal 2011 season.  As I remember there was almost a yearly discussion about whether he should hit 9th instead of first, and with good reason.

Ellsbury has never been an exceptional outfielder either although he did make nice improvments over the years on the balls he was able to run down.  Later in his Boston time he caught many balls that used to fall to the ground when he was younger. 

However, if nothing else, his throwing was terrible (for a centerfielder anyway) all during his Sox career.  Lots and lots of guys went first to third, tagged up and scored from third easily or scored going second to home on him. His arm did not minimize his offense, but certainly did give opponents a distinct advantage. 

Bradley may already be MUCH better defensively if he can at least put a little scare into the slower opponents who used to rumble around the bases knowing that Ellsbury would not be able to throw them out.

I have no problem with the Sox signing someone to help protect Bradley, but unless there is an all star right handed slugger available who can play center well, Bradley should get at least a full six week or two month run in center field.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:

I think that Bradley will do everything that Ellsbury did except maybe steal as many bases, but it may not be all accomplished in just one year.

Ellsbury was a very good player for the Sox, but he had some holes in his career as well that somewhat were covered up by his phenomenal 2011 season.  As I remember there was almost a yearly discussion about whether he should hit 9th instead of first, and with good reason.

Ellsbury has never been an exceptional outfielder either although he did make nice improvments over the years on the balls he was able to run down.  Later in his Boston time he caught many balls that used to fall to the ground when he was younger. 

However, if nothing else, his throwing was terrible (for a centerfielder anyway) all during his Sox career.  Lots and lots of guys went first to third, tagged up and scored from third easily or scored going second to home on him. His arm did not minimize his offense, but certainly did give opponents a distinct advantage. 

Bradley may already be MUCH better defensively if he can at least put a little scare into the slower opponents who used to rumble around the bases knowing that Ellsbury would not be able to throw them out.

I have no problem with the Sox signing someone to help protect Bradley, but unless there is an all star right handed slugger available who can play center well, Bradley should get at least a full six week or two month run in center field.

I think he gets 10 weeks minimum- that's if he's hitting .150... longer if he's over .200.

They may sit him vs lefties, if that's his biggest area of trouble, but I see the Sox management team giving him a long long look.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I agree theyve done nothing. The reclamation/good clubhouse guy approach worked well last year, but its not likely to keep working. The biggest obstacle the Sox will have next year is simply that they won last year. Its almost impossible to repeat anymore. I expect next season to basically be a lost season as far as an actual Championship goes. Thats just how it is. We enjoyed the dance, now we're going to have to pay the fiddler.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I agree theyve done nothing.

Adding Mujica and Badenhop is not "nothing". Just wait and see.

Our pitching staff looks better than last year, especially if those injured in 2013 comeback and pitch like they have in recent years: Buchholz, Morales, Miller and others. We also will have a full season of Workman, Britton and others if we choose to do so. We won't have Bailey, Hanarahan and Aceves as our closer for part of the year either.

Our offense may take a hit. It may take a big hit, but with Bogey and Middy on the left side of the IF, there is real potential to increase our offense from there. Napoli and Pedey had worse than career numbers in 2013, and both are young enough to put up much bigger numbers in 2014.

CF and DH may see a drop off, but I would not be surprised if we score about the same amount of runs in 2014.

Defense: worse at SS: better at C, 3B, and maybe RF if Shane plays more.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Mabe play JBJ all season and then judge what he can do or not do......Did you say they don't have to repeat as champs? So if you meant it why not let JBJ prove your wrong and let him have time to do it. If you had a son in same situation as JBJ would you  want Sox to give up on him. Bring up your thoughts at the end of season. Seems to me your in panic mode. Sox will field a very good team and will be right up there to compete for another ring. Stop your guessing !!!

Sections
Shortcuts