JBJ - MLB's first DLID?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

JBJ - MLB's first DLID?

Sorry for all the acronyms, but everybody seems to like 'em these days...

I think the solution to the JBJ dilemma is staring us in the face.  Let's just make him our Designated Late Inning Defender.  It's the same role that Coco Crisp performed brilliantly in the 2007 playoffs after being benched for Ellsbury, and JBJ has clearly shown the merit of this maneuver a few times in recent games.

The DLID slot could even acquire the same type of prestige now bestowed on closers...though not paid nearly as well.   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: JBJ - MLB's first DLID?

What if you could develop a position in baseball where a guy can play defense for 9 innings but not hit in the lineup; as in physically not take at bats.

Seems kinda ridiculous....but then again in one league baseball does let one guy hit without playing defense for 9 innings. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Bradley is like Herb Washington...can only do one thing well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Could be...Bradley's skill is more valuable over the season than Washington's was though.  Bradley has made catches this year that would add up to a lot of saved runs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What if you could develop a position in baseball where a guy can play defense for 9 innings but not hit in the lineup; as in physically not take at bats.

[/QUOTE]

That would be bad for the entertainment level of the game right now...run-scoring is steadily sliding downward as it is. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

so late inning if you aren't leading or close you don't bring him in?  what if 4 runs are scored in the first inning (or any other "early") because CF didn't make a play?  they game will already be lost.  i prefer having the D in there the whole time and give up the 1 hit per week on offense by that position.

other names i have posted under:  none

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Something like that would work better if rosters were expanded.  With a 25 man roster, including at least 12 pitchers, I don't think you can afford to carry a strict defensive replacement. You need more versatility.  By the way, I am old enough to remember one platoon football. Even now, many high schools still do it.

Stabbed by Foulke.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to dannycater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Could be...Bradley's skill is more valuable over the season than Washington's was though.  Bradley has made catches this year that would add up to a lot of saved runs.

[/QUOTE]

Would you also mention having JBJ up to bat with one out bases loaded....Bingo ! strike out now two outs

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Or just let him play and see if he can develop into a .250 hitter. With that defense a .250 hitter is fine

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sorry for all the acronyms, but everybody seems to like 'em these days...

I think the solution to the JBJ dilemma is staring us in the face.  Let's just make him our Designated Late Inning Defender.  It's the same role that Coco Crisp performed brilliantly in the 2007 playoffs after being benched for Ellsbury, and JBJ has clearly shown the merit of this maneuver a few times in recent games.

The DLID slot could even acquire the same type of prestige now bestowed on closers...though not paid nearly as well.   

[/QUOTE]

That's probably what they have in mind. He would be equally, almost, as much value if used as a pinch runner, when if needed earlier.

And, by the way, a new STAT will be coming your way after soon after the last game of this 8 game road trip; i.e., after the second Cincinnati trip.

Sections
Shortcuts