JBJ on D&C

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Re: JBJ on D&C

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

After hearing this guy talk and looking at this body type I don't see him as a CF. He would be a nice LF even this year to go with Gomes. JBJ is already pretty dense and wants to add strength. He batted 3 in college and I definitely think he is going to add power.

I don't know, Bosox.  Here was another atypical centerfield body-type.

He seemed to do okay for himself.  

And for his his team.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

I like everything about this kid , but let's not get ahead of ourselves.  He still has to have success in AA and AAA.   He understands that.  We should too.  Patience is a virtue.

Not true. First, many prospects have zero success in AAA before playing well in the majors. Secondly, he has already had success in AA.

Interesting.  I hope I do not sound too skeptical when I ask who you are thinking of that had no success at AAA and then was succesful in the bigs.  This would be a cool revelation to me.

I don't have the list in front of me. But there are probably examples every year and maybe 100's all total. Two that come to mind from this season were Andrelton Simmons and Manny Machado.

Oh ok.  Gotcha.  I misunderstood.  Thought by "zero success at AAA" you meant guys who were awful in AAA but then blew up in the bigs.  But you meant guys who just skip AAA altogether.  I am picking up what you are throwing down now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Oh ok.  Gotcha.  I misunderstood.  Thought by "zero success at AAA" you meant guys who were awful in AAA but then blew up in the bigs.  But you meant guys who just skip AAA altogether.  I am picking up what you are throwing down now.

Cool. Let me say I still don't "expect" him to be brought up in May, just saying its very possible. Also, I think its 50-50 he starts in AAA. I don't think they would bring him up if he wasn't playing well. I just think JBJ has less to work on then most guys who have already had success in AA. He will be 23 in May. He is not a kid. He brings all the things the Sox have been looking for this off season. Great make up and attitude. Great plate discipline. This is a guy that in A ball practiced fouling balls back. Defense and being a proffesional hitter are the keys to bringing up a guy early. And we might be able to use a left hand hitting LF if Sweeney fails. The idea that at that time if Sweeney is failing and JBJ is thriving that this won't be the likely result I think is not laughable, but realistic.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

I like everything about this kid , but let's not get ahead of ourselves.  He still has to have success in AA and AAA.   He understands that.  We should too.  Patience is a virtue.

Not true. First, many prospects have zero success in AAA before playing well in the majors. Secondly, he has already had success in AA.

Interesting.  I hope I do not sound too skeptical when I ask who you are thinking of that had no success at AAA and then was succesful in the bigs.  This would be a cool revelation to me.

I don't have the list in front of me. But there are probably examples every year and maybe 100's all total. Two that come to mind from this season were Andrelton Simmons and Manny Machado.

Tony C comes to mind...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Compare the minor league numbers of two lefthanded hitters, born six months apart, taken with the No. 40 and No. 62 picks, respectively, in the June 2011 draft, out of rival universities in South Carolina:

Player A 615 PA, .311/.423/.473/.896, 24 SB, 11 CS

Player B 702 PA, .341/.414/.513/.927, 24 SB, 7 CS

Player A is Jackie Bradley and Player B is Seattle shortstop prospect Brad Miller. I'm NOT suggesting that Miller deserves Bradley's prospect ranking*. Bradley's defense sets him apart and Miller's numbers are skewed by his time in hitter-friendly leagues (although Miller has mashed in pitcher-friendly leagues as well).

I just found the parallel stats interesting.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=bradle000jac

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=miller005bra

* although prospect analyst John Sickels in his October list of Top 50 hitting prospects had Bradley at No. 24 and Miller at No. 25: http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/10/8/3474442/preliminary-top-50-hitting-prospects-for-2013

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

Compare the minor league numbers of two lefthanded hitters, born six months apart, taken with the No. 40 and No. 62 picks, respectively, in the June 2011 draft, out of rival universities in South Carolina:

Player A is Jackie Bradley and Player B is Seattle shortstop prospect Brad Miller. I'm NOT suggesting that Miller deserves Bradley's prospect ranking. Bradley's defense sets him apart and Miller's numbers are skewed by his time in hitter-friendly leagues (although Miller has mashed in pitcher-friendly leagues as well).

.927 is a pretty sick OPS for a SS. How's his D?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Player A is Jackie Bradley and Player B is Seattle shortstop prospect Brad Miller. I'm NOT suggesting that Miller deserves Bradley's prospect ranking. Bradley's defense sets him apart and Miller's numbers are skewed by his time in hitter-friendly leagues (although Miller has mashed in pitcher-friendly leagues as well).

Euphenistically, Brad Miller's defense is improving to the point that Miller is more likely to stay at shortstop than Nick Franklin (Baseball America's 79th-ranked prospect today):

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/2/4/3950572/prospect-scouting-report-brad-miller-inf-seattle-mariners

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Euphenistically, Brad Miller's defense is improving to the point that Miller is more likely to stay at shortstop than Nick Franklin (Baseball America's 79th-ranked prospect today):

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/2/4/3950572/prospect-scouting-report-brad-miller-inf-seattle-mariners

Still, at 22 and playing in AA he has time to develop on defense. He certainly seems to have the stick to be a good MLB player.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

If the Sox lock up Ellsbury and move JBJ to a corner, do you think he has a break down worse than Upton going to ATL? I feel like Softy has more invested in this but nothing can top how he acted last time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Thankfully, the Red Sox aren't going to "lock up Ellsbury".

Bradley, Jr. will provide the Red Sox with a team leader who has been a winner at every level of baseball. He was a team leader on the double NCAA title teams down here. Ellsbury is a sullen personality who has never grasped what team sports are all about. He's been a loser at every level of baseball. He was very fortunate to be a bench guy for a few weeks on the 2007 Red Sox.

At Oregon State University, Jacoby Ellsbury in 2005 led the Beavers to their first College World Series berth since 1952:

http://www.osubeavers.com/sports/m-basebl/recaps/062005aaa.html

http://www.osubeavers.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/061705aad.html

http://www.osubeavers.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/053105aaa.html

Oregon State won national titles in the two seasons immediately following Ellsbury's departure.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

If the Sox lock up Ellsbury and move JBJ to a corner, do you think he has a break down worse than Upton going to ATL? I feel like Softy has more invested in this but nothing can top how he acted last time.

he'll probably cry.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I read somewhere recently that JBJ was already considered to be better than  Ellsbury as a defensive CF. Hard to believe but it has been said recently by at least one reporter.

Red! ( Sheriff Rojas ), I've been comparing JBJ to Kirby in my mind over and over recently. He looks a little like him and seems to act a little like him as well. I think the comp is actually pretty decent in terms of his upside. 

Bill James projected JBJ to have 13 HR if he were a mlb player right now. He is projected to have some pop.

I think there is a significant chance that he is in our OF before year end.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

I read somewhere recently that JBJ was already considered to be better than  Ellsbury as a defensive CF. Hard to believe but it has been said recently by at least one reporter.

Red! ( Sheriff Rojas ), I've been comparing JBJ to Kirby in my mind over and over recently. He looks a little like him and seems to act a little like him as well. I think the comp is actually pretty decent in terms of his upside. 

Bill James projected JBJ to have 13 HR if he were a mlb player right now. He is projected to have some pop.

they are probably taking JBJs superior arm into account while considering his range and glove to be comprable to Ells..

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

they are probably taking JBJs superior arm into account while considering his range and glove to be comprable to Ells..

Ells has better wheels and probably more pop at this point. But the word is that Bradley Jr. gets much better reads on balls, so it looks like his range is better than it actually is.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

IF JBJ pans out even this year, we are looking at a solid defensive OF in Victorino, JBJ and Ellsbury. They would be ideal in a San Diego type stadium with all that range.

I see JBJ in LF against RH pitching by year end hopefully. As a September call up ala what Ellsbury did for us a few years ago.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

It would be pretty nice if he added some pop though, who knows if he can....sounds like he has great plate disclipline though so I'm sure he will hit at least low double digits just from being a good hitter.....but we will have to wait and see. 

He is built like a running back and is trying to add power which isn't typical for a CF leadoff type. Also this team hasn't put the high OBP in the middle of the lineup like Youk.

Building strength doesnt exactly mean building size. The kid is a spectacular CF with great instincts. No reason for him to be wasted in the LL field demensions of Fenways LF.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

It would be pretty nice if he added some pop though, who knows if he can....sounds like he has great plate disclipline though so I'm sure he will hit at least low double digits just from being a good hitter.....but we will have to wait and see. 

He is built like a running back and is trying to add power which isn't typical for a CF leadoff type. Also this team hasn't put the high OBP in the middle of the lineup like Youk.

Building strength doesnt exactly mean building size. The kid is a spectacular CF with great instincts. No reason for him to be wasted in the LL field demensions of Fenways LF.

If he has a great arm and has great reads wouldn't he be better served in RF at Fenway.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

If he has a great arm and has great reads wouldn't he be better served in RF at Fenway.

I would put him there before I would LF.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I think JBJ is a definate possibility for LF in late May onward. This is one reason they may not be that desperate for a left handed LF.

As for power, he has more power then some think. He hit a lot of homers in college. In Yankee Stadium I would project 20-22 homers a year in his prime. In Boston, it will likely be more like 15-18.

I view JBJ as one of the surest things in the minors. He has almost no questions.

BTW, good arms are not wasted in LF in Fenway.

Jackie Bradley is a great-looking prospect, but no one is a sure thing.

Baseball America has Bradley as the 31st-ranked prospect as he approaches his 23rd birthday in April.

The Seattle Mariners last season finished last in the league in runs scored with a lineup that included four hitters, age 25 or younger, whom Baseball America in previous years had ranked higher than Bradley's No. 31. Michael Saunders was a few months older than Bradley's current age when he was ranked 30th in 2010; Jesus Montero, Dustin Ackley and Justin Smoak were all younger than Bradley when they achieved their BA rankings at No. 3, No. 11 and No. 13, respectively.

Let's hope Bradley, Montero, Smoak, Saunders and Ackley all turn into All Stars.

Former Red Sox farmhand Lars Anderson, who was BA's 17th-ranked prospect in 2009, was designated for assignment today by the Chicago White Sox.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/02/white-sox-acquire-gillaspie-designate-anderson.html

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

The best thing about JBJ is his plate discipline. There is a place for a Plus CF defender who can get on base. I like his chances. And he plays the games with enthusiasm and intensity. It's great to see this young man in the organization.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Montero, Smoak, Saunders and Ackley.....Anderson

I sure am glad I didn't think those 5 were some of the surest things in the minors. As a matter of fact I thought Montero, Ackley and Anderson were hugely over rated.

But yes, sometimes highly rated prospects disappoint or fail.

Sections
Shortcuts