JD "Come On Man"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56beacon. Show 56beacon's posts

JD "Come On Man"

What the ****, 2 strikes your protecting. Down the middle looking? For all you Reddick fans, I think it's time to see what the kid can do on a regular basis. If he's the future in RF, then give him his chance. IMO he's not the answer on a full time basis, but I could be wrong. JD is playing out the string, it's time to sit him. I maintain that a player such as Hunter Pence is worth pursuing, it's going to cost some potential talent, but that's why you have a strong farm system. These are your barganing chips. Think about What Pence brings to your team now, and for the future.      

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Re: JD "Come On Man"

I'm not one to usually comment on a players attitude or committment or psyche but for some reason JD just looks lost at the plate this year. It is like he has no idea of what he is doing or thinking up there. It is like he has lost all confidence at the plate. he has never been an emotional type guy but this year you can IMHO actualy see the frustration in his eyes and expression. I actually feel bad for the guy and sometimes wonder if he is actually thinking of walking away now.
    IMO if I were he RS I'd tell him to take a 2 week FLOA/RR then go to minors for a couple of starts then come back.
    Of course as a pro I doubt he'd do that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KRomine. Show KRomine's posts

He's not lost.  He packed it in in May.  He's retiring after this season and is just collecting a paycheck right now.

He would love nothing better than to be benched or released.  Then he gets his paycheck for doing NOTHING, instead of what he's doing now, collecting a paycheck for doing ALMOST nothing.

JD Drew decided to "coast" through his final season.  Just surprised he made it so obvious.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Nothing wrong with JD that a little trip to the Dominican won't fix.

JD acts the same whether he's batting 300 or 130.  He always looks uninterested.  If he were truly coasting, then he wouldn't be playing hard in the outfield.  JD has heart - he just doesn't look like he has heart.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

He has no ability to adjust at the plate. He looks for a specific pitch and if it's not what he expects, he takes it.
    The concept of "putting the ball in play" does not occur to Drew.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I've been saying for years now that he refuses to adjust his approach.

It's the same thing every AB.  I bet if opposing pitchers/catchers were candid about it they'd have to admit it's pretty much a joke figuring out a plan to attack him.

He is so much better going to opposite field and we've seen him take this approach a only a few short times - mid 2007 and mid 2010........

I can only deduce that Drew is simply too lazy to change his mental approach to his AB's. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

No, this is not about his approach anymore. He has lost his skills, it happens to the best of them, and even the just above average players. He is not the same hitter as he was in the past, or even close. You can lose it fast, ask Bichette, ask Jack Clark, ask Giambi. When you lose it, you lose it. It's time to retire.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Yeah, it looks like his bat speed is gone.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: JD "Come On Man":
    [QUOTE]No, this is not about his approach anymore. He has lost his skills, it happens to the best of them, and even the just above average players. He is not the same hitter as he was in the past, or even close. You can lose it fast, ask Bichette, ask Jack Clark, ask Giambi. When you lose it, you lose it. It's time to retire.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

In fairness to Drew, at least he won't pull a Giambi and shoot up

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]No, this is not about his approach anymore. He has lost his skills, it happens to the best of them, and even the just above average players. He is not the same hitter as he was in the past, or even close. You can lose it fast, ask Bichette, ask Jack Clark, ask Giambi. When you lose it, you lose it. It's time to retire.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  This isn't about his approach or him not caring.  Drew just doesn't have it anymore.  Last year was a drop off from his previous three seasons here and this year he just plain stinks.  I still would keep him around as off the bench he still could be valuable and the Red Sox don't have a lot of depth in AAA for outfielders.  Nava is not having a good year and obviously kalish is hurt.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

I'm a JDD fan. His defense isn't asleep but his offense is. I'm sure the RS have tried to help him even though he's gone in 3-4 mos. Maybe the issue isn't on field but off field, just guessing here.....pure speculation.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

His "D" ?  Why did he jump on Kotchman's Fly Ball and turn it into a triple?

And who can forget the Game Ending Sac Fly from G2 of 2008 ALCS when he made a horrible play that ended the game and effictively cost them the series?

He's a decent RF'er but let's leave it at that. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56beacon. Show 56beacon's posts

In Response to Re: JD "Come On Man":I tend to agree with the lost at the plate observation, but is that because of a diminished skill set, or a player that has lost his drive to want to play anymore? Whatever it is, it's time to plug in Reddick. We need to see if he's the real deal. If not let's get someone for the long term in RF. No rent a player, no reclaimation project ie (Cameron), a bonafide impact player. One that will enhance the dynamics of the team on the field. I will say it again, Pence is that type of player. His best 4-5 years are about to take place. Some #s to consider 2011 Avg.= .318, hits =  117, RBI = 61, HR 11. Last 3 years avg 157 games played, (Durable) avg. 25 HR's, hits from the right side, how many more could come at Fenway? Speed, good arm won't hurt you in the field. Yeah one could say I have a "man crush" for this kid, but when you consider what he can bring to this teams line-up and in the field, Sox fans would love him much the same.

[QUOTE]I'm not one to usually comment on a players attitude or committment or psyche but for some reason JD just looks lost at the plate this year. It is like he has no idea of what he is doing or thinking up there. It is like he has lost all confidence at the plate. he has never been an emotional type guy but this year you can IMHO actualy see the frustration in his eyes and expression. I actually feel bad for the guy and sometimes wonder if he is actually thinking of walking away now. IMO if I were he RS I'd tell him to take a 2 week FLOA/RR then go to minors for a couple of starts then come back. Of course as a pro I doubt he'd do that.
    Posted by JimfromFlorida[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

Andrew.........Man you're bringing up all the dirty laundry. The Kotchman fly ball/ triple was a tough play. I don't think he got an error on the attempt. It was one of those plays he got there and couldn't come up with. As far as the 2008 ALCS, I can't recall the event you mention, but I'll take your word for it. The thing is there were a lot of fly balls and tough plays that he did make between the two events you mention. On the defensive side of his game for the time he's been here I think we got full value. On the offensive side .....maybe he took more off the table than he should have. Will you be able to let go in 3-4 mos. when he's gone?    Andrew...........it's just entertainment.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I don't make stuff up

Here it is - I've posted this before - it's an easy find on YouTube

Notice he didn't time the catch.....he was flat footed....and it wasn't that deep....he almost over-ran the ball - you can see him reaching back over his head a little at the last second......he had the foul line to line himself up w/ and yet his throw was still way off line.......cost us the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tea8D4MAsX8

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

see, the thing w/ Drew is he has had sooo few momements in the sun that it is easy to recall all of them - TWO

GS in G6 of the 2007 ALCS and Walk Off Hite in G5 of the 2008 ALCS

that's it....much harder to recall Ortiz's because there are soo darn many they all blur together now.............

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]see, the thing w/ Drew is he has had sooo few momements in the sun that it is easy to recall all of them - TWO GS in G6 of the 2007 ALCS and Walk Off Hite in G5 of the 2008 ALCS that's it....much harder to recall Ortiz's because there are soo darn many they all blur together now.............
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

And there are plenty of good players who haven't even had two big moments like those ones Drew had, so I don't really see your point.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

Andrew.........How about the letting go part, will you be able to move on after he's gone?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Kevin Romine and Randy Kutcher had some big moments and earned the league minimum...........so I don't really see your point?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Will I be able to move on?  Sure but I will never forget what Theo did and what he said about this signing....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]Will I be able to move on?  Sure but I will never forget what Theo did and what he said about this signing....

And that means exactly what?  Is Theo worried about you never forgetting?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

How many players could say that in the 9th inning of Game 7 of the ALCS, down by a run w/ one man out that they watched strike 3?  So many players never even got a chance to be a part of that magic moment.....so I really don't get your point.............

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Kevin Romine and Randy Kutcher had some big moments and earned the league minimum...........so I don't really see your point?

Try again...that was a swing and miss.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Yeah, no other player has struck out looking in a big spot.  He was the main reason to BE in that spot in the first place.  But that doesn't fit the narrative.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: JD "Come On Man" : Try again...that was a swing and miss.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Naw, I'll just stand here with my toothpick on my shoulders and do my best David Jonathan Drew impression........

Sections
Shortcuts