J.D. Drew Adds No Value - Do You Hear Me Francona?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

J.D. Drew Adds No Value - Do You Hear Me Francona?

J.D.Drew adds absolutely nothing to this team. 3 HR, 10 RBI batting 8th for a corner outfielder. Let Cameron  or Reddick play every day and see what he can do. The Red Sox had a nice streak without J.D. Drew in the lineup.

His first two games back? Loss and Loss.

Sit the Toothpick Man on the bench.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fancy-shamanski. Show fancy-shamanski's posts

Re: J.D. Drew Adds No Value - Do You Hear Me Francona?

I agree, nobody could do any worse so why risk playing this guy?  A rookie or cameron could do better

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Not a bad point - the money is gone already - there is little reason to feel that you have to play him just because of the contract.  Let's move on while the team is playing well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Cameron is no huge upgrade.  A little more power but lower BA and OPS (margianlly).  Drew has the better arm.

Reddick was batting 248 in the minors, so he's not an upgrade.

However, this team like to play the veterans, which I don't have a problem with as long as they are winning - with or without contributions from the vets.  I think they do it because it makes it easier to sign free agents if they know they are coming to a team that gives them every opportunity to succeed.

If the team were struggling, then I'd be more inclined to have a vet sit.  But no sense creating a problem in the clubhouse unless they have a plan for dealing with it and I think they are stuck with JD until the end of the season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

C'mon now. Didn't he hit some home run several years ago to help us win a playoff against the halos?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

and Kalish is hurt....say what you will about Drew,he's always solid in right field and still has the ability to get a hit when needed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Just curious,are you still sticking by this post?

Put a Fork in this team

posted at 4/12/2011 10:12 PM EDT
    www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=a98fe797522297c18cf2a772524b368b&plckUserId=a98fe797522297c18cf2a772524b368b">
    First: 5/3/2009
    Last: 5/31/2011
    Perhaps the biggest bust in the history of baseball, this team has no shot of doing anything.

Lackey tomorrow.

At the trade deadline, Ortiz, Drew and Papelbon will all be gone.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: J.D. Drew Adds No Value - Do You Hear Me Francona?:
    [QUOTE]and Kalish is hurt....say what you will about Drew,he's always solid in right field and still has the ability to get a hit when needed.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Drew is not always a solid RF'er

He blew the play to end the game in G2 of the 2008 ALCS

and he blew a big game in Tampa when he should have not caught a foul ball that led to a SF and it cost his team the game

Always be careful of how you use the word "always" - especially when it comes to one David Jonathan Drew.........

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

I would thibnk at this point bagging on JD Drew would be boring.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

before the season ends Sox will need contributions from 4 or 5 outfielders. it is on Francona to keep them all ready when called. Drew is one of the 4 who need to be ready. Defensively, running, throwing as well as with the bat, Drew is capable of putting together an all star month. Why call for his benching?  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: J.D. Drew Adds No Value - Do You Hear Me Francona? : Drew is not always a solid RF'er He blew the play to end the game in G2 of the 2008 ALCS and he blew a big game in Tampa when he should have not caught a foul ball that led to a SF and it cost his team the game Always be careful of how you use the word "always" - especially when it comes to one David Jonathan Drew.........
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

one way i dont have to be careful of how i use the word andrew, is that you will ALWAYS bash J. D. Drew, even if and when it's not warranted. when there is a perfect player who bats 1,000 and never makes an error, please let me know.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I'll do you one better - when Drew can bat over .285/25/90 I'll stop....We can agree that those stats are far from your perfect 1.000 BA and Errorless season, right? 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yaz456. Show Yaz456's posts

In Response to J.D. Drew Adds No Value - Do You Hear Me Francona?:

My guess is Francona doesn't hear you unless you also wrote this directly to him or know of someone on this blog who has access to him and delivers your messages.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from KRomine. Show KRomine's posts

Drew must really be considering retirement.  How else would you explain his extreme "suckiness" in a contract year.  That's usually the only time he cares

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]and Kalish is hurt....say what you will about Drew,he's always solid in right field and still has the ability to get a hit when needed.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

5 RBI's in April, 5 RBI's in May, May Slugging avg of .348. He's the least productive players of the 9 regulars, so if you play someone else or at least give them more at bats, there really isn't anything to lose.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to J.D. Drew Adds No Value - Do You Hear Me Francona?:
    [QUOTE]J.D.Drew adds absolutely nothing to this team. 3 HR, 10 RBI batting 8th for a corner outfielder. Let Cameron  or Reddick play every day and see what he can do. The Red Sox had a nice streak without J.D. Drew in the lineup. His first two games back? Loss and Loss. Sit the Toothpick Man on the bench.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE] WOW !!   AS DAD WOULD SAY....... "SON, I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO SAY" !!!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Drew hasn't done much on offense, granted, but his OPS is 69 points higher than Crawford's.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jfromvt. Show jfromvt's posts

[QUOTE]Drew hasn't done much on offense, granted, but his OPS is 69 points higher than Crawford's.  
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

That's because he walks a lot because he is so passive at the plate.  He is not productive.  A walk is not necessarily a good thing, depending on the situation (i.e. tie game in ninth, runner on second or third - all the walk does is pass the responsibility to drive in the run to the next batter).  I can't wait for the last game Ju.Dy. Drew plays for the Sox.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

He's not productive and never has been in a Sox uniform.  But I trust Francona's judgment on this one.  I prefer Reddick right now, but trust Francona. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]He's not productive and never has been in a Sox uniform.
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

He had very productive seasons in 2008 and 2009 and has also been very productive in the postseason for the Red Sox. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: J.D. Drew Adds No Value - Do You Hear Me Francona? : He had very productive seasons in 2008 and 2009 and has also been very productive in the postseason for the Red Sox. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Never more than 68 rbi's in the regular season for the Sox.  That's productive? 

Lowell was productive in the 2007 postseason, but Drew? 

Currently batting 8th because right now knocking in 68 in 2011 is wishful thinking. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

would you put your 68 rbi's back into the 1980's box and understand that in 2008 and 2009 Drew had an OPS of .927 and .914 respectively? Extremely productive years.
    Rbi's are a by product of plate appearances and and relying on others to be on base. 
    In 08 and 09 Drew produced, and he is capable of producing again this year. Granted, it hasn't been pretty so far, but the guy has enough of a track record to realize he can put together a 4-8 week stretch where he is capable of putting up great numbers...this century great numbers, not last century 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: J.D. Drew Adds No Value - Do You Hear Me Francona? : Never more than 68 rbi's in the regular season for the Sox.  That's productive?  Lowell was productive in the 2007 postseason, but Drew?  Currently batting 8th because right now knocking in 68 in 2011 is wishful thinking. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

In 2008-2009 Drew had 132 RBI and 163 runs in 246 games.  That equates to 162-game averages of 87 RBI and 107 runs.

He has 19 RBI in 28 postseason games for the Red Sox.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

here we go with OPS again........the biggest contributors to his OPS is his BB's and his lack of AB's (reducing the base size makes it easier to have a higher average)........and remember, averages do not measure consistency........so.......OPS?  gotta look deeper and Drew's OPS is not what you think it may appear to be............