J.D. Drew Adds No Value - Do You Hear Me Francona?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: J.D. Drew Adds No Value - Do You Hear Me Francona?

So even at his best he couldn't crack the daunted 90 RBI mark?  Ok then........

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: J.D. Drew Adds No Value - Do You Hear Me Francona?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: J.D. Drew Adds No Value - Do You Hear Me Francona? : In 2008-2009 Drew had 132 RBI and 163 runs in 246 games.  That equates to 162-game averages of 87 RBI and 107 runs. He has 19 RBI in 28 postseason games for the Red Sox.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]Stop with the stats, he made a bad play on a ball in 2008 and that is that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Drew's slugging% in 2008 and 2009 was .519 and .522 respectively. Nuff said?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

right because his AB's were low.........had nothing to do w/ HR's and once again now - say it with me - "AVERAGES DO NOT MEASURE CONSISTENCY".......

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

And repeat after me, getting on base is a good thing, making outs a bad thing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Well Andrew, until they start incorporating Standard Deviations or whatever into baseball stats, you're gonna have to settle for Averages.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Youkilis has only topped 100 RBI once.  Pedroia has only topped 80 RBI once.  Guess they're not what they're cracked up to be either.  Youkilis is all about that bloated OPS stuff too.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

here we go again....1980 mentality vs 2000's menatlity. Explain to me again why a base on balls is not an at bat?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I'm sorry, but I think productive players, by definition, actually show up and play.  Drew gets vertigo, hamstring pulls, and all manner of bonafide physical issues.  He is not a malingerer, but he also can't be counted on.  This year is by far his worst in five with the Sox--at least, so far it is.  That's why he is now batting 8th even though his OPS is higher than CC's. 

That said, I do think he has the potential to hit better than he is.  I just don't think he can do it day in and day out.  Ellsbury has played in every single game so far, and Drew has never done that for a full 1/3 of a season.  Reddick could probably play every day. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]I'm sorry, but I think productive players, by definition, actually show up and play.  Drew gets vertigo, hamstring pulls, and all manner of bonafide physical issues.  He is not a malingerer, but he also can't be counted on.  This year is by far his worst in five with the Sox--at least, so far it is.  That's why he is now batting 8th even though his OPS is higher than CC's.  That said, I do think he has the potential to hit better than he is.  I just don't think he can do it day in and day out.  Ellsbury has played in every single game so far, and Drew has never done that for a full 1/3 of a season.  Reddick could probably play every day. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]Coming into the 2011 season JD Drew had played in 3 fewer games than Kevin Youkilis. Three in 4 seasons.

Yet one is a dirt dog the other can't be counted on.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In his previous tours with the Sox Reddick has shown flashes but has been a guy you like less the more you see of him.  I like Drew as the starter, and Reddick as the backup. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]Drew's slugging% in 2008 and 2009 was .519 and .522 respectively. Nuff said?
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

And in 2010 and 2011 (to date) it's .452 and .348. What's your point?
    My point of this thread was that he doesn't contribute to wins. Look how they did when he was hurt with his hammy, and look at the spark he has provided since he came back.

Why not put Cameron in there more consistently. If he doesn't cut it, release him. Let Reddick play more. If they want Drew for his fielding, this kid Lin can field now.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

my point is that in 8 and 09 he was very productive. my point also is that since the SOx have no one head and shoulders better, Drew is capable of going on a 4-6 week run of carrying a team, where Cameron and Reddick do not have. that is why I feel Francona needs to keep everyone fresh and engaged, ready when called until one of them goes on a run (most likely Drew)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from HarryUp. Show HarryUp's posts

I totally agree with those who believe that Drew adds little or nothing. He should be the backup player, not the starter, if he is even kept. It's sad that Sox settle for the puny production he contributes. Expectations are higher for every player and they should be high for RF as well. Kalish? Cameron? Give them or somebody a chance.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In don't know what I'd do if I didn't see at least one Drew thread every day.
    The sun might never shine again.
    The clouds may hover forever. But if that J.D.Drew thread isn't on this board pronto, I fear the end of the world is near.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i find it quite funny how people keep saying drew will go on a hot streak and start hitting so we should keep playing him. Drew has been crap this year and is barely batting over .220 at this point with 3 homers and 10 rbi. Thats pathetic. And since people are using stats in drew defense i have some stats for you. Drew in his 5 years with the sox owns a .226 batting average with runners in scoring position, a .268 batting average, has averaged 15 homers per year,  and 54 rbi's per year. So his average season with the sox is .268 15 54, enough said. Start reddick, make drew the back up. reddick has potential and could be a valuable trade chip and will put up just as good offensive numbers if not better than drew and just as good if not better defensively. Red sox gain nothing by playing drew and since he was inserted back into the line up have gone 0-3. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]i find it quite funny how people keep saying drew will go on a hot streak and start hitting so we should keep playing him. Drew has been crap this year and is barely batting over .220 at this point with 3 homers and 10 rbi. Thats pathetic. And since people are using stats in drew defense i have some stats for you. Drew in his 5 years with the sox owns a .226 batting average with runners in scoring position, a .268 batting average, has averaged 15 homers per year,  and 54 rbi's per year. So his average season with the sox is .268 15 54, enough said. Start reddick, make drew the back up. reddick has potential and could be a valuable trade chip and will put up just as good offensive numbers if not better than drew and just as good if not better defensively. Red sox gain nothing by playing drew and since he was inserted back into the line up have gone 0-3. 
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]

Interesting numbers.  He's had 64-68 RBI each season but the average is only 54.  Didn't know that could happen.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: J.D. Drew Adds No Value - Do You Hear Me Francona? : Interesting numbers.  He's had 64-68 RBI each season but the average is only 54.  Didn't know that could happen.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

It helps if you count 2011 as a full season already.

The Drew complaints are beyond idiotic at this point.  Just pairing "He's no good" with "He's hurt too often" shows some fans will never be satisfied.   You'd think if they did not like how he played, they'd at least be happy he got hurt alot.

More important is it shows the ignorance with regards to free agency market rates.  Drew is not constantly criticized for not playing like the superstar he is paid to be.  The problem is, he has never been paid like a superstar.  $14mill per year just isn't superstar money on the free agent market, and the $10mill to $15mill range really hasn't been for a while, probably going back to Raoul Mondesi's 4 yr / $45mill contract in the year 2000.  (Mondesi was dealt before the deal expired for a career minor leaguer.) 

This same story works with Lackey.  He is paid like AJ Burnett and Derek Lowe, but how dare he pitch like them?

But I guess Sox fans miss a true blue collar dirt dog in Trot Nixon.  Never mind that Nixon was far less healthy than Drew, given that he is only a year older and has been out of baseball for a while now.  But he still has that hard-working blue collar image going, and not some overpaid hired gun like Drew. 

Although Nixon did make over $30mill playing baseball...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Interesting numbers.  He's had 64-68 RBI each season but the average is only 54.  Didn't know that could happen.

It helps if you count 2011 as a full season already

Reminds me of the poster prior to this season who tried to say that A-Gon only averaged 24 home runs a year, with his 7 HR in 192 AB in 2004-05 weighted as two full years' worth. Poor guy couldn't for the life of him figure out what was wrong with that.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: J.D. Drew Adds No Value - Do You Hear Me Francona? : Interesting numbers.  He's had 64-68 RBI each season but the average is only 54.  Didn't know that could happen.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Seeing as drew is on pace for about 40 rbi this year assuming he stays healthy that lowers his average significantly. Based on him getting 40 rbi's this year his average would be 60. 

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

kimsaysthis your starting to act like pike with all the troll policing -

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

kimsaysthis, 

i picked my screen name because i am huge red sox fan and am proud to be one. But i am not proud of players on my fave team that play like crap. Just because i dont take the pretend like nobody sucks and every player on the sox is good approach doesnt make me less of a fan. I would be more tolerant of a player who is putting up the numbers drew is if he actually tried to hit the ball instead of just trying to draw a walk every at-bat and as a result striking out looking all the time.