J.D. Drew Adds No Value - Do You Hear Me Francona?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: J.D. Drew Adds No Value - Do You Hear Me Francona?

The sad thing is that there are maybe 4 players + Tito that get regular "bashing."  Yet it is a 25 man roster.

If I complain about Drew and Tek every week, yes it gets tiresome... but to call me a non-fan when I never say a single negative word about 21 of the other players is absurd.  For my part I have made many threads that are positive and to tell you the truth they get a far less run than the suggestive negative threads...

I love Beckett, Youk, Pedroia etc... and I will thank you kindly to stuff it if you do not like me berating Tek or Drew.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In Response to Re: J.D. Drew Adds No Value - Do You Hear Me Francona?:
    [QUOTE]I totally agree with those who believe that Drew adds little or nothing. He should be the backup player, not the starter, if he is even kept. It's sad that Sox settle for the puny production he contributes. Expectations are higher for every player and they should be high for RF as well. Kalish? Cameron? Give them or somebody a chance.
    Posted by HarryUp[/QUOTE]
    You do realize that Kalish is injured and will not play for the forseeable future? Correct?
    You also realize that Kalish last year in 179 PA's (small sample size)had a slash line of .305/.405/.710 where as last year in Drew's worst year with the RS had a slash line of .341/.452/.793, also covering more ground in RF with a better arm than Kalish.
    In addition, Cameron is posting a slash line this year of .258/.362/.620 which of course is worse than Drew.
    I am not stating that Drew is playing great this year. I am stating that Drew has played very well in years past, and even though this is a down year, has a greater probability going forward to produce more than Cameron and Reddick/Kalish(when healthy).  
    That does not mean that Drew should get 100% of the PA's. It is up to Francona to regulate time getting all OF's PA's keeping them fresh, ready and engaged.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

rkarp - Here is what you stated:

my point is that in 8 and 09 he was very productive. my point also is that since the SOx have no one head and shoulders better, Drew is capable of going on a 4-6 week run of carrying a team, where Cameron and Reddick do not have. that is why I feel Francona needs to keep everyone fresh and engaged, ready when called until one of them goes on a run (most likely Drew)

Are you kidding? Do you watch this guy night in and night out? He's not playing for a contract and his production is worse than any other starter and both catchers.  Last night:

Roll out
    Roll out
    K
    Pop Out

He adds no value. Why don't you find out the last time he has a nice run to carry a team? He should not be playing any more period. Unfortunately, Francona will stick him out there with his .228, 3 HR, 10 RBI, .340 Slug.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

kimsaysthis your starting to act like pike with all the troll policing -

BurritoT she is pike

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

ADG
    LAst year Drew posted a slash line of .341/.452/.793. While it was not the same very good numbers of 2008 and 2009, it was certainly acceptable. When was the last time he produced? Further broken down, in 2010 Drew posted an awesome slash in June of .409/.556/.965, July was .345/.461/.805 and Sept/Oct was .326/.481/.867. Did he carry the team? No, but he certainly produced.
    This year has not been good...agreed. Who would you rather see out there instead of Drew? Cameron is playing worse! Reddick is playing, but over the course of small major league sample's, he has proven not ready, nor capable of producing any where near what Drew has produced in the past, and over the larger sample of minor league pa's he also has not performed to satisfaction.   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

pin honestly now?  At best she would be the lost twin of pike.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Maybe she's pike's sister. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

rkarp - Agreed that Cameron is playing worse, but only by average. He has as many HR's and how many RBI's would he have with equivalent AB's? What would his average be if he had more AB's? I'm not advocating for him as they probably need to make a decision on him but it should be done with a bigger sample size.

I agree that Reddick may not be ready, but based on what you have seen this year, does Drew look like he is putting forth an effort?

He's not in the lineup today. Maybe Francona is finally realizing that roll outs and not getting the ball out of the infield isn't cutting it, maybe his hammy is bothering him again, or maybe he's been injured and hasn't said anythying, thus hurting the team. 

Don't go back to previous years. It's like when they say Drew is 6 for 10 versus a pitcher, but they don't tell you it's from 7 years ago. 

Bottom line is Reddick deserves to play more. Drew is hitting .222 vs righties with a SLG avg of .315.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

One more interesting point:

Drew Sutton has five doubles, one more than Drew.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]Maybe she's pike's sister. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

twin sister.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

pin honestly now? At best she would be the lost twin of pike.  

LOL  BurritoT    

but it's clear

it's all starts with pike can't standing the fact that 

there are nyyfans here,

and it spreads to anyone who treats them fairly

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Yes I see that clearly - really embarrassing from my end.  I do not miss pike at all.. and I agree with kimsaystoomuch about the unfairness of Benni being banned....  but enough already with sending Yankee posters to the forum gallows for just being opposing fans.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Francona says it better than I can:
    On whether Drew, who went 0-for-8 with a pair of strikeouts in the first two games against the White Sox, has been swinging the bat as well as he normally does: "J.D. has a track record of grabbing onto that one month and really just putting us on his back. Certainly, you always wait for that and he hasn't gotten to that point yet. Sure, he's taken good swings at times, but he hasn't strung them together like he's capable of."

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Right, he does say it better, but he may be waiting all year.
    As Francona states:
    "He hasn't gotten to that point yet"

He has said this:

"He's just been kind of scuffling a little bit. Day game after night game, you're looking for a little energy and maybe Red [Josh Reddick] will bump into one. He's been playing pretty well, maybe he'll give us a little boost."

Scuffling a little bit? 3HR and 10 RBI. Enough said.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]Right, he does say it better, but he may be waiting all year. As Francona states: "He hasn't gotten to that point yet" He has said this: "He's just been kind of scuffling a little bit. Day game after night game, you're looking for a little energy and maybe Red [Josh Reddick] will bump into one. He's been playing pretty well, maybe he'll give us a little boost." Scuffling a little bit? 3HR and 10 RBI. Enough said.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]
    ADG
    I think we get it. You don't like Drew. Seems the Sox think they don't have a better alternative and will roll the dice Drew performs to norm.
    I kinda like the Sox track record. Yours? Eh....not so great

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan791. Show redsoxfan791's posts

In Response to J.D. Drew Adds No Value - Do You Hear Me Francona?:
    [QUOTE]J.D.Drew adds absolutely nothing to this team. 3 HR, 10 RBI batting 8th for a corner outfielder. Let Cameron  or Reddick play every day and see what he can do. The Red Sox had a nice streak without J.D. Drew in the lineup. His first two games back? Loss and Loss. Sit the Toothpick Man on the bench.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

I'm just going to throw this out there.  The two losses the Sox suffered while Drew was back in the lineup was a function of poor pitching.  Lester and Aceves were awful, and put the game out of reach of the Red Sox offense. 

Also, I don't know about you, but I don't know many people hitting eighth that are going to drive in a lot of runs.  Granted, ten is a low number, but he's also been relegated to platoon situation at this point, which has cut down on his number of opportunities.  He's only had 47 opportunities with RISP, so it's not like the sample is large enough to gain any meaning from it.  Furthermore, hitting with RISP is not a repeatable skill.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Chad Finn:

Chad Finn: 
    All right, not even a staunch J.D. supporter can argue on his behalf at this point. He's looked brutal all season, he's 35 years old, he struggles whenever the strike zone isn't called by the book, and he's talked about retirement after the season which makes you wonder to some degree how much his heart is in to this season. The Sox will have a decision to make if this keeps up. Too bad, because I thought the Cameron/Drew platoon would work well.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

This is not a slam on Mike Cameron or Josh Reddick or Darnell McDonald....Even at his subpar self, I'd still rather have JD Drew manning RF for the Sox. He still hits the cutoff guy, has a strong arm that guys on 3rd don't challenge on fly balls, and he's still a threat at the plate, even if he's not doing it right now. If you replace Drew, then do it with a real, bonafide power-hitting OF, but you look at the alternatives and the Sox simply don't have anyone even close to Drew's caliber, which unfortunately doesn't say much about the RF situation. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

You guys can defend Drew all you want, but all he does is roll out to 2nd base, strike out or popout. He has 10 RBI's on June 3rd. Case closed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The anti0Drew crowd is so filled with their rage over this guy, it's pathetic.  They hated him from Day One, were undoubtedly upset at all his post-season heroics, and have wanted him to fail.  This was all about never giving Drew a chance, and about refusal to admit that some fans don't know everything

At this point, they are clinging to his 10 RBI in the eighth spot in the order as he winds down his career.

Not liking his RBI total - superficial as it is - is one thing.  But the really, really stupid fans are the ones who insisty Drew "doesn't care" and they will undoubtedly dig up some Tony Larussa quote as proof positive (by the way, for those who cannot read in between the lines, Tony LaRussa is a fanatical egomaniac who is apprently perfectly willing to throw anyone and everyone under the bus if it makes him look better.)

But all this Drew doesn't care stuff is because he doesn't throw bats and complain to umpires?

I don't know if Drew cares or not.  Like most, I never talked to him.  I actually suspect that his lack of emotion might be attributed to being a mature adult, possibly because he learned not to show off his superior abilities growing up.  Every player in the majors was undoubtedly the best player in Little League and high school, etc.  Why more of them never leanred how to comport themselves is beyond me.  and in Drew's case, it might even be more surprising, as he grew up in a household with 2 other future first round draft picks.  (Can any other family in baseball history make that claim?)

The guy is done after this year.  Shut up for once and learn something about free agency and how it usually works out. And all of this "I don't care how it it works out for other players/teams" - the usual hypocrite hater repsonse - is a mere admission of ignorance and a poor hiding place.

You've all ridden Drew through the good years and bad, and now feel like your finally justified, but the reality is all you are is annoying...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

Drool will be gone.  Youth in the waiting. No more Theo RF trades/signings

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Anyone want to argue the positive attributes of J.D. Drew anymore? The guy just plain stinks.