J.D. Drew - Would you EVER resign?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ddimaria. Show ddimaria's posts

J.D. Drew - Would you EVER resign?

Please be gentle as this is a legit question by someone who does not pay attention too much to the business behind the game.  Would any of you on the board consider resigning JD Drew if the contract were something that he deserved instead of the craziness that Theo brought upon us with his bloated contract? 

Again, I am not armchair GM and will never claim to be but I was just curious what people's thoughts are as I have not heard this discussed much.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: J.D. Drew - Would you EVER resign?

Tough call.

He was good for a couple of years, but he is not going to get much better than the last two.

The only way I wouldever re-sign him is if it was for a very small contract to play the role of backup OF

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

For dirt cheap, as a RF mentor to Kalish/Reddick, and a serviceable back-up, yes.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Don't see Drew going for it, but if he would sign for 1.5 million and serve as the backup/4th OFer, I would consider it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

4....3....2.....AndrewYell

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

andrew is over Drew now.  He has a new love in Carl Crawford...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ct-pitcher. Show ct-pitcher's posts

No disrespect intended, but when they signed JD Drew they got exactly what they signed given his history.  Since coming to Boston, he's played in 140, 109, 139, 137 and 81 games respectively. His average while in Boston is .264, hitting 80 HR and 286 RBIs over 5 years.

At 35, given the shoulder and back issues they knew of when they signed him, it's time he retired with dignity and our thanks and we need a new RF.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: J.D. Drew - Would you EVER resign?:
    For dirt cheap, as a RF mentor to Kalish/Reddick, and a serviceable back-up, yes.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Agree that resigning Drew for a very reasonable contract might work.  He is a great outfielder but his offensive production has declined.  Especially this year.  He is a much better defensive player than Reddick is.  Kalish is a better defensive player than Reddick,  but not Drew. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

I don't want Drew as a mentor or role model or anything like that.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In Response to J.D. Drew - Would you EVER resign?:
    Please be gentle as this is a legit question by someone who does not pay attention too much to the business behind the game.  Would any of you on the board consider resigning JD Drew if the contract were something that he deserved instead of the craziness that Theo brought upon us with his bloated contract?  Again, I am not armchair GM and will never claim to be but I was just curious what people's thoughts are as I have not heard this discussed much.
    Posted by ddimaria

I'll be nice since you don't follow too closely.  Re-sign a guy who WON

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rutland76. Show Rutland76's posts

Hopefully this might be one of the last of the last of the 8000+ Drew forum posts that have monopolzed the forum in recent years. Can we move on?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ddimaria. Show ddimaria's posts

Sorry Rutland, I dont get on these forums very often and i didnt see anything on the most recent pages.  I appreciate the good responses on both sides, I looked it up and he only played like 81 games this year which is obviously not enough to be able to rely on as a full time player!  I dont think in light of that, that I would sign him for anything over one or two years at almost league minimums... maybe with some incentives for games played increases year over year or something.. at bats or whatever. Encourage him to not be a nancy and sit at the first sign of an issue.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickEO. Show RickEO's posts

As our 4th OF for 2 Million.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In Response to J.D. Drew - Would you EVER resign?:
    Please be gentle as this is a legit question by someone who does not pay attention too much to the business behind the game.  Would any of you on the board consider resigning JD Drew if the contract were something that he deserved instead of the craziness that Theo brought upon us with his bloated contract?  Again, I am not armchair GM and will never claim to be but I was just curious what people's thoughts are as I have not heard this discussed much.
    Posted by ddimaria

No way. He hasn't done anything over the last 3 years. Or 5. Never broke 80 RBI's, etc. Why stunt the growth of a potential young outfielder.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Because he is a better defensive OFer than any of the young guys ready to play at the MLB level, and he can still get on base at a respectable rate with a bit of power and decent base running ability.  For dirt cheap, if he is willing to play that role, he would be a good piece to fill out the 25 man.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Besides, Drew being a 4th outfielder/defensive replacement does NOT stunt any young guy's growth.  Making the young guy play that role stunts their growth.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Let's get rid of the old guys and start looking for some talent that is under assessed with players under thirty.  We have way too many overpaid and often injured players, we have lost our way.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

The only thing he could teach is the fine art of getting caught looking. Please, lets just move on here.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

Resign  Drew ?    == NO

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: J.D. Drew - Would you EVER resign?:
    In Response to Re: J.D. Drew - Would you EVER resign? : Agree that resigning Drew for a very reasonable contract might work.  He is a great outfielder but his offensive production has declined.  Especially this year.  He is a much better defensive player than Reddick is.  Kalish is a better defensive player than Reddick,  but not Drew. 
    Posted by susan250

Yeah. The greatest outfielder never to win a GG!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

How much of this season   did  Drew miss ?

exactly   half the season      playing in 81 games and  222 batting average with   4 home runs in 248 at bats... while pulling down  14 Million  bucks..

JD turns   36  next month  and is considering retirement..
    Since he's gone  from .279   to .255   to .222   

why would you even think  of resigning ??

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Immortal9. Show Immortal9's posts

No freakin' way.  Let him limp off into retirement.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from KRomine. Show KRomine's posts

Considering he retired in May, why would anyone want to bring him back?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

no

Sections
Shortcuts