JD Drew

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Re: JD Drew

In Response to Re: JD Drew:
    Still against it. I pegged Reddick as Drew's heir apparent a couple of years ago. I'll stand by that. (Him or Kalish). I like the kid and think he has the tools. His one area of weakness - poor plate discipline - has been addressed. I think he's just about ready to take over. Why lose a player of low-cost controlability and throw good money after bad? I know Cam's been a bust. But I think having most of a year off and now adjusting to playing PT is more the reason for his current lack of results than it being strictly age-related. Besides, the difference  in potential production from a RF tandem to a (costly?) bridge isn't worth the price. If this team's PO hopes rest on that, we won't get there either way. That's my take.
    Posted by harness

I don't completely disagree with you.   I'm just open to possibilities depending upon what happens up until the trading deadline.  I'm not as keen as you may be on Reddick.  I do like Kalish though. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

All aboard!!!

Hurry, hurry, hurry!!  The Next JD Drew Complaint thread isn't due for another 45 minutes!!!  Don't be left behind!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from orlostguy. Show orlostguy's posts

JD. Sure he's given us moments (we all remember the playoff grandslam, right?) but as many fans have pointed out, he just never has connected with the Boston faithful. His demeanor seems so indifferent. there is no passion so it looks like he doesn't care. I'm not saying he doesn't care...it just appears so.

My one and only trip to Fenway in 2007, during a business training trip to N.H., gave me a good indication of the relationship some of the Boston faithful have with JD. In a game against the Rays there was a hit to shallow right field and it appeared Drew could have made the catch.  The ball literally landed less than a body length in front of his feet and from my view about 9 fows up by the Peskey Pole I thought he should have made the attempt. So as he fielded the ball and threw the ball to the cutoff the fans let him have it mercilessly. 

There were some very creative shout outs that were delivered in what I find to be the classic accent at a ball game. I had heard about how the fans can be and I admit I found myself laughing at the tirade taking place. It was a beautiful thing because what it really was about was the fans just want to see players play all out and give it their all all the time. He didn't, so they let him have it big time.

And as it usually works, a few innings later he made a great play rifling a throw to get a player out at second trying to take the extra base and the fans gave him a standing ovation. Although there were some sarcastic praise mixed in.

JD isn't going to change so he is what he is.  He'll finish up here then ...well not sure what he'll do.  But he does have a ring so that says something.

I apologize for the rattling on...I'm a life long Sox fan that lives in Oregon so I only see them play against the Mariners in Seattle and having the opportunity to see that game in 2007 was a true dream for me. If I can somehow come up with the money I hope to take my son back there for his graduation gift next year. It has been his dream to go as well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

All aboard!!! Hurry, hurry, hurry!!  The Next JD Drew Complaint thread isn't due for another 45 minutes!!!  Don't be left behind!
    Posted by notin

Hey, if that's about all Red Sox fans have to complain about these days (along with Cameron and the usual Softlaw fare), then they must be doing really well.  It's either that or the betterredthandead and burrito grudge matches or your-echo's pointless rants. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpoppanom. Show cpoppanom's posts

I don't agree with the notion that the Sox can't or wouldn't trade Drew and eat some or most of his salary.  He's been grossly overpaid in Boston compared to his production, probably being overvalued by the Sox for his history of OBP and everpresent "potential" that hasn't quite ever lived up to the hype (in my opinion).  But still he's only making $14mil/year or so.  That's certainly less than other players whom the Sox have been willing to bite the bullet on. 

And the right field situation is a big problem that needs to be addressed.  Drew is clearly awful so far this year.  It could be a slump.  But at the same time, his numbers have consistantly declined in his time in Boston.  And it's not like his best year here has been stellar.  In his first 4 seasons (this one being his 5th) he's only gotten over 20 HR twice, and he hasn't broached the 70 RBI mark.  His OBP has been decent, but I'm not sure that's as important as it could be because of where he's been hitting in the lineup.  Batting 6th or 7th with the succeeding batters being guys with lower BA and lower potential to drive him in, what's the point?  At that spot in the lineup it would be better for him to have a higher BA and better power to drive in the middle of the order guys (who have better BA and equal OBP) the times that they don't drive themselves in.

Drew's platoon mate isn't make the situation better.  My thinking for a while is that Drew should be an everyday player, rather than a platooner.  He sits out games against lefties in favor of the righty Cameron, but what's the point?  Drew has primarily hit against righties and has a blistering 0.227 avg.  Cameron has hit primarily against lefties and is even worse.  Perhaps if one or the other played more consistanly, they could get things going a little better (and my vote would be for Drew by a hair at this point).

All the talk about how this is Theo's best team?  Maybe.  But only if this situation gets fixed.  It's true that other players at different points have carried the team this year (Gonzalez, Ortiz, Pedroia for a stretch, Ellsbury, even Lowrie).  But the idea that at some point the carrying of the load won't need to come partly from Drew (or whatever rightfielder) is tenuous.

The other glaring issues are Lowrie and the bullpen.  The bullpen isn't an easy fix.  They probably just have to hope for the best with what they've got, maybe mix in the usual back and forth between Boston and Pawtucket.  And it looks like the Lowrie situation might be fixing itself with the resurgence of Scutaro (if he can keep it up).  I'm glad Scutaro is back and performing at a decent level.  It made sense to ride the Lowrie train early on when he was hot, but once that miraculous run ended I couldn't see him out of the everyday lineup quickly enough.  He was so hot early on that it seemingly went unnoticed that after his crazy 0.368 BA in April, he hit 0.261 in May and is hitting 0.125 in June so far (0.071 in the last 7 days).  That's not going to get it done.

So again, I think if the RF situation gets addressed quickly (or at least by deadline) and the SS situation with Scutaro remains as it is now things look good for an offense that's been lights out recently.  And that may be all the team needs to make a strong run.  Otherwise it seems it could be a tough battle without this offense we've seen, as much as the pitching tends to be up and down.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

They have 23 million invested in "Crawbust". Crawford's OBP is under .300. With AGon and Ortiz, defense is the most important factor in a 50 million dollar outfield. Drew and Cameron are old and final contract years, so talk about trading them is like talking about Obama keep talking about he's doing something about "jobs".  

Start a thread on what to do with Lowrie, and start a thread on Bellsbury when he regresses.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I don't agree with the notion

that the Sox can't or wouldn't trade

Drew
    and eat some or most of his salary.  He's been grossly overpaid in Boston compared to his production, probably being overvalued by the Sox for his history of OBP and everpresent "potential" that hasn't quite ever lived up to the hype (in my opinion).  But still he's only making $14mil/year or so.  That's certainly less than other players whom the Sox have been willing to bite the bullet on.  And the right field situation is a big problem that needs to be addressed.  Drew is clearly awful so far this year.  It could be a slump.  But at the same time, his numbers have consistantly declined in his time in Boston.  And it's not like his best year here has been stellar.  In his first 4 seasons (this one being his 5th) he's only gotten over 20 HR twice, and he hasn't broached the 70 RBI mark.  His OBP has been decent, but I'm not sure that's as important as it could be because of where he's been hitting in the lineup.  Batting 6th or 7th with the succeeding batters being guys with lower BA and lower potential to drive him in, what's the point?  At that spot in the lineup it would be better for him to have a higher BA and better power to drive in the middle of the order guys (who have better BA and equal OBP) the times that they don't drive themselves in. Drew's platoon mate isn't make the situation better.  My thinking for a while is that Drew should be an everyday player, rather than a platooner.  He sits out games against lefties in favor of the righty Cameron, but what's the point?  Drew has primarily hit against righties and has a blistering 0.227 avg.  Cameron has hit primarily against lefties and is even worse.  Perhaps if one or the other played more consistanly, they could get things going a little better (and my vote would be for Drew by a hair at this point). All the talk about how this is Theo's best team?  Maybe.  But only if this situation gets fixed.  It's true that other players at different points have carried the team this year (Gonzalez, Ortiz, Pedroia for a stretch, Ellsbury, even Lowrie).  But the idea that at some point the carrying of the load won't need to come partly from Drew (or whatever rightfielder) is tenuous. The other glaring issues are Lowrie and the bullpen.  The bullpen isn't an easy fix.  They probably just have to hope for the best with what they've got, maybe mix in the usual back and forth between Boston and Pawtucket.  And it looks like the Lowrie situation might be fixing itself with the resurgence of Scutaro (if he can keep it up).  I'm glad Scutaro is back and performing at a decent level.  It made sense to ride the Lowrie train early on when he was hot, but once that miraculous run ended I couldn't see him out of the everyday lineup quickly enough.  He was so hot early on that it seemingly went unnoticed that after his crazy 0.368 BA in April, he hit 0.261 in May and is hitting 0.125 in June so far (0.071 in the last 7 days).  That's not going to get it done. So again, I think if the RF situation gets addressed quickly (or at least by deadline) and the SS situation with Scutaro remains as it is now things look good for an offense that's been lights out recently.  And that may be all the team needs to make a strong run.  Otherwise it seems it could be a tough battle without this offense we've seen, as much as the pitching tends to be up and down.
    Posted by cpoppanom

Sooooooooooooooo, just what do you think he'll bring in a trade?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alan-inWA. Show Alan-inWA's posts

If he was making 4 million instead of 14 million, I don't think the conversation would be at this level.

If we could actually trade him, we'd end up paying most of his contract like we did for Lugo.  My impression is that Lugo's contract was less than what Drew's is.  The owners wouldn't do this with Drew.

Drop Cameron off the platoon.  Drew is at least producing something and he is one of the best defensive outfielders in the business.

Sections
Shortcuts