JD Drew

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duffie33. Show Duffie33's posts

JD Drew

Do you keep him in line up?  He is too expensive to trade but there has to be better options - he is only one not pulling his weight

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: JD Drew

For now, yes.  It could be a slump or it could be semi-permanent.  He's been pretty darn good for a long time, so it makes sense to give him the benefit of the doubt.  I say that even though I wanted Reddick to stay in Boston and get some of Drew's starts. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to JD Drew:
    [QUOTE]Do you keep him in line up?  He is too expensive to trade but there has to be better options - he is only one not pulling his weight
    Posted by Duffie33[/QUOTE]

Well except for the guy he platoons with.  Cameron has been WAY worse.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Yeah, the Cam/Drew platoon has been pretty disappointing AND DMac hasn't exactly impressed in his limited playing time either.  I'd give Drew more slack and keep waiting for a hot month if he wasn't so crappy last year too.  He's working on a second straight year of sub-.350 OBP which has always been the hallmark of his value (+ defense, ofc).  I suspect we'll see some changes in the next month if things don't start looking up for both Cam and Drew.  Let's hope Kalish comes of the DL hot and Reddick keeps up his new and improved plate approach.  It's getting to the point where I'd rather see those guys on a daily basis than what we have.

BTW, this is minor whining on my part ... this team has been great since game 13 of the season.  I'll keep worrying about the #4-5 SPs, the BP and the Drew/Cam/DMac situation while enjoying our offensive "jug or not."
    Wink

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from den666. Show den666's posts

In Response to JD Drew:
    [QUOTE]Do you keep him in line up?  He is too expensive to trade but there has to be better options - he is only one not pulling his weight

Sometimes it's not what you do, but how you do it. For as long as I can remember, it's always been the same pattern : First, he looks at a strike right down the middle. Then, he swings at junk and often it ends up as a strikeout. It's like watching the movie Groundhog Day. Will someone end the pain!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

JD is a streak hitter.  He can start blistering the ball any time.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Since Yaz, I don't think so, but I sure hope I am wrong and you are right. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: JD Drew:
    [QUOTE]Since Yaz, I don't think so, but I sure hope I am wrong and you are right. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

What part of Since Yaz's statement do you disagree with?  He's had a monster hot streak every year with Boston.  It's kinda like watching groundhog day Tongue out

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Do you keep Lowrie in the lineup, his defense is a butcher and his offense is in freefall? Do you trade Lowrie?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ufcfighter1. Show ufcfighter1's posts

the best thing i've recently heard about drew is his nickname - nancy. how true. streaker or not he drains the lifeblood from this team. give me trot nixon any day over drew. there is no fan connection with drew and no desire on his part to bridge the gap. the day he departs i will celebrate. he does not deserve to play for the boston fans. he should be in pittsburgh or somewhere where he can just collect his paycheck while playing for an empty stadium.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: JD Drew : What part of Since Yaz's statement do you disagree with?  He's had a monster hot streak every year with Boston.  It's kinda like watching groundhog day 
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

He also seems to come up with big hits in the postseason.  By the way, I think Groundhog Day is a highly overlooked movie.  The point is that only after the Bill Murray character surrenders to his fate and learns to make the most of it is he able to move on.  One of the great spiritual movies of all time along with "It's a Wonderful Life." 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RonSwanson. Show RonSwanson's posts

I think we're getting very close to a convenient DL stint for JD. Maybe a couple weeks off would be good for him and help him rebound in the second half of the season. On the bright side, it would be hard for whoever would replace him to hit worse. Things would be a lot more interesting if Kalish had been healthy and playing well on the farm all along.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from canetime. Show canetime's posts

[QUOTE]Do you keep Lowrie in the lineup, his defense is a butcher and his offense is in freefall? Do you trade Lowrie?
    Posted by betterredthandead[/QUOTE]

maybe,if we can get a right fielder in place of drew.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Sox don't have much choice. They are not going to just release Drew and eat his salary. He has no trade value. Just have to hope that he gets hot. Cameron has actually been worse. Reddick is hitting .224 at Pawtucket, although he does have 12 homers.  Kalish was hitting just .236 with no homers when he got hurt. Has not been back yet.  Linares has shown very little.  McDonald hit well on his rehab. Maybe he will get a shot in right.  I would think that this is Drew's last year. His defense is still good, so I would say they have got to keep him in there for now and hope that he , at least, produces a little.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]Sox don't have much choice. They are not going to just release Drew and eat his salary. He has no trade value. Just have to hope that he gets hot. Cameron has actually been worse. Reddick is hitting .224 at Pawtucket, although he does have 12 homers.  Kalish was hitting just .236 with no homers when he got hurt. Has not been back yet.  Linares has shown very little.  McDonald hit well on his rehab. Maybe he will get a shot in right.  I would think that this is Drew's last year. His defense is still good, so I would say they have got to keep him in there for now and hope that he , at least, produces a little.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

That pretty much covers it.  At least until July 31.  They may take a flier on some temporary help, more likely a right-handed hitter or switcher with good defensive range if both Drew and Cameron are still mired in slumps.  Know anybody out there that could be had for little?  Somebody like last year's version of Cody Ross would be nice.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

They've already got 22 mil invested in the damn position this year.
    You think they're gonna sacrifice prospects for a 2-month RH bridge to the farm?

The team has won 9 straight w/o much from Drew. There's enough depth between AGONE/PAPI and CRAWBURY to suffice.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]They've already got 22 mil invested in the damn position this year. You think they're gonna sacrifice prospects for a 2-month RH bridge to the farm? The team has won 9 straight w/o much from Drew. There's enough depth between AGONE/PAPI and CRAWBURY to suffice.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

True, but they have over 160 mil invested in the entire team.  I'm not talking about a major trade here or losing a can't miss prospect.  Just some tweaking, if necessary, to cover the postseason.  Between Reddick and Kalish, somebody will be the odd man out.  Kalish has a huge upside, so if anybody's interested in Reddick, the Red Sox may pull the trigger for a veteran to cover them through the season or even as a platoon into next season in a transition period with Kalish.  Again, the operative words here are "if necessary."  They have a month and a half to determine that. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from drewyou. Show drewyou's posts

In Response to JD Drew:

JD is definitely struggling, but he is due to really get hot. I remember

a couple or 3 years ago, he hit 12 homers in June and just went on a tear

after a dismal start. I think JD needs to quit platooning with Cameron.

JD is hitting lefties better than Cam. Yes, not that great, but play JD, and I

think he'll turn it around.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I don't know if Reddick can be seen as a 'can't miss prospect', but he sure as hell shouldn't be dealt for 2-month "tweak".

Banking on Kalish or Reddick is a mistake IMO.
    A better bet is to let them compete for the job. The loser gets utility time. Kalish may end up injury-prone, given how he plays.

I think the proper move is to use the top RF farm hand (very possibly Reddick) and spell Drew in the dog days. I seriously doubt the diminished output from Drew/Cam or Reddick/Cam is gonna derail our PO chances.

And none of them will be a liability with the glove.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]I don't know if Reddick can be seen as a 'can't miss prospect', but he sure as hell shouldn't be dealt for 2-month "tweak". Banking on Kalish or Reddick is a mistake IMO. A better bet is to let them compete for the job. The loser gets utility time. Kalish may end up injury-prone, given how he plays. I think the proper move is to use the top RF farm hand (very possibly Reddick) and spell Drew in the dog days. I seriously doubt the diminished output from Drew/Cam or Reddick/Cam is gonna derail our PO chances. And none of them will be a liability with the glove.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

Well, how about a season and two month "tweak" to obtain better value for Reddick?  This would be for a player who is signed through next season.  Just some insurance and a bridge to fill any possible voids through 2012.  For this season, I see Cameron as the player they'd release. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Still against it. I pegged Reddick as Drew's heir apparent a couple of years ago. I'll stand by that. (Him or Kalish). I like the kid and think he has the tools. His one area of weakness - poor plate discipline - has been addressed. I think he's just about ready to take over.

Why lose a player of low-cost controlability and throw good money after bad?
    I know Cam's been a bust. But I think having most of a year off and now adjusting to playing PT is more the reason for his current lack of results than it being strictly age-related.
    Besides, the difference  in potential production from a RF tandem to a (costly?) bridge isn't worth the price. If this team's PO hopes rest on that, we won't get there either way.

That's my take.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

The area I'd address around the trading deadline is BP depth, especially if the present situation holds true for the next 6 weeks.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

It's amazing, considering that the corner outfielders have done little this year so far and the Sox are flying. Drew has been a bust since he has been here, not a total bust he has his streaks, and he is solid defensively. He plays right field in Fenway very well. I guess that's enough, one would expect more offence from a guy earning $ 14 mil per year.

They will go with what they have, Cameron, Drew , and DMac. What will they do next year? They need a right handed bat in that lineup , with power and playing right field. Good luck finding such an animal, there must be one out there. Please not another left handed bat, they are going great with all the left handed hitters they have , will it continue? Odds say, it will catch up with them eventually. IMHO

The weakness from the right side, has been negated , by the career numbers, Papi, Jacoby, and AGON have put up against lefties. Theo either is a genius or lucky. That lineup should be vulnerable to good lefties, with the exception of Crawford and JD, so far they have shown no weakness. David Price is coming up, that will be a good test.

They are rolling big time , fun to watch . They look like the best team in baseball at the moment. That's what people were saying about the Indians 3 weeks ago. Not to compare the teams , but they can't keep this up forever. Heck even Lackey has won his last two starts and that is a miracle.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I'd give him at least another month.  By the all-star break Kalish will be back playing, and hopefully his offense will be better than it was before his injury.  Reddick will have jad another month to get his offense in gear.  If Drew and Cam are still producing at the same level, either Kalish or Reddick should offer an offensive upgrade, without much loss in the defensive department (though I do think Drew's defensive skilsl are deceptively good).  Then I would like to see the switch made in RF, along with Iglesias being promoted to play SS.  That would be their best chance to rake their way to the WS, IMO.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arodswallows. Show Arodswallows's posts

[ First, he looks at a strike right down the middle. Then, he swings at junk and often it ends up as a strikeout. It's like watching the movie Groundhog Day. 
    Posted by den666[/QUOTE]

you're totally right! I'd like to know this stat: Drew has to be the player with the most called 3rd strikes, I understand that happens with many guys that also walk a lot, but please! it's too often...