JD Drew

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Re: JD Drew

I thought Renteria was the worst FA signing ever. 

The basic reason that JD Dew is in RF is that the Red Sox don't have anyone that is significantly better and they don't need someone that is significantly better at this point.

You can't sit JD.  They can trade him and eat most of his salary.  But the can't just sit him.  If the team were struggling or if they had a phenom waiting in the wings, then that would be a different story.

The worst thing that can happen at this stage is to create a problem in the clubhouse.  The team is playing well.  There is no need to make a change.

If they start to struggle, then mess around with the line up.  If there is a right handed power hitter in the last year of his contract, then I would make a trade to pick him up (whether the trade involved JD or not). 

As my dad used to say, "if it aint broke, then don't fix it".

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: JD Drew:
    [QUOTE]I thought Renteria was the worst FA signing ever.  The basic reason that JD Dew is in RF is that the Red Sox don't have anyone that is significantly better and they don't need someone that is significantly better at this point. You can't sit JD.  They can trade him and eat most of his salary.  But the can't just sit him.  If the team were struggling or if they had a phenom waiting in the wings, then that would be a different story. The worst thing that can happen at this stage is to create a problem in the clubhouse.  The team is playing well.  There is no need to make a change. If they start to struggle, then mess around with the line up.  If there is a right handed power hitter in the last year of his contract, then I would make a trade to pick him up (whether the trade involved JD or not).  As my dad used to say, "if it aint broke, then don't fix it".
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

Drew gave us some nice moments over the years and I like the guy but always felt he was another "Trot Nixon" another injury prone RF when we signed him.  Hopefully J.D. and Cam can go out in style, maybe helping us win another WC before they leave.  Right now I would rather see more of Reddick.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

If the Sox want to seal the deal as they say they get a full-time power hitting RF at the trade deadlne (all-star break). Really the Sox already have a few weakspots in the lineup in the catchers and the shortstops (who aren't that bad), but I'd rather use the Reddicks, McDonalds, Suttons occasionally and not rely on them as every day players. You release unconditionally Cameron, you do the same to Drew..lot of money team is giving away? Yes. Worth it? Every penny to open a roster spot or two. Sox can also get one more good reliever.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Drew is awful, but the bigger problem is against lefties, with McDonald and Cameron. They need to get a 4th outfielder and DFA both of them.  McDonald is showing why he was in the minors for 10 years, and Cameron is done, typical of steroid/HGH users when they reach this age.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]A better question to the blind homers is: Would you sign Drew right now, today?
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]Well I am not sure that is really the point relative to trying to say that this is the worst contract ever. A lot of people accept the fact that many contracts again less than gracefully. To say it is the worst contract ever doesn't account for the other 4 years at $56M.

Perhaps a better question would be, knowing what you know now, would you have resigned Trot Nixon after 2006 or started Adam Stern in RF or traded Lester or Ellsubury or Pedroia to get a RF. Or would have signed Drew? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

This summers hit at the box office

"Oh no, not another J.D. thread"

Seriously, what do we expect there to be different in the 5,768th J.D. Drew thread?  are new great amazing insightful posts going to bring up issues never discussed?  I mean.....come on.

J.D. Drews time is coming to an end, and while his offense is on the decline dramatically this year he is still a perfectly serviceable defensive right fielder and for a team that is putting up HISTORICAL offensive numbers......do you really really really really wanna complain right now??? do you really think he is hurting this teams chances of winning this year???

just give it up I mean.....come on. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I would have re-signed Nixon... and that would not have been the best move in hindsight... and of course there were other alternatives out there at that time, an over the next season. He just was not a good signing... I had not tabbed him the worse ever though.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]in my opinion THEO is mediocre. what's to back up? his free agent signings speak volumes. nobody spends more for players that are later untradeable than the great THEO. honestly, do you believe that CRAWFORD will ever justify 20 million dollars/year? as long as JOHN HENRY'S money making machine doesn't break, THEO can continue to be less than zero.
    Posted by --the--yazzer[/QUOTE]

Obviously he has had some failures, especially with the FA signings, but the team's record since he took over speaks volumes too.  Only 2 years out of the playoffs, both in years the team was decimated by injuries.  Pretty good-looking team this year.

Take a look at some of the failed signings of the other big budget teams - Yankees, Mets, Angels, Cubs, etc.    

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

if he's not "THE WORST EVER," he's definitely in the top 5, as was LUGO, as will be LACKEY. jury is still out on CRAWFORD.
    btw, what is 'free' about 'free agents?'

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pennasoxfan67. Show pennasoxfan67's posts

The right field tandem of JD Drouchebag and Mike "he can't hit, he can't hit, sahhhhwing battahhhh" Cameron is pathetic.  Nancy cost us that game last night by deciding to whine instead of running out that passed ball.  He would have been safe if he had taken his head out of his butt and looked around.

This one's on you Nancy.  Retire already!  Seriously, you've got a corner outfield combo that has produced 55 hits, 7 home runs and 27 RBIs in 268 at bats?  Loathsome....

Bring up Kalish....NOW!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc25. Show tc25's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: JD Drew : As bugs bunny used to say, what a maroon.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]
    Since Obama became President  unemployment up 25%, Debt up 35%, Price of a gallon of gas up 104%, Worst GDP since the great depression, Food stamp recipients up 39%, new federal employees hired 185,000 please respond  with facts but you can't, sir you are as dumb as a doornail

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

how come you tea-partyists never put any blame on the moron george w?
    it was his 8 terrible years that has done this country in; him and his puppet-master cheney.
    it wouldn't be because georgie is white, would it?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]This summers hit at the box office "Oh no, not another J.D. thread" Seriously, what do we expect there to be different in the 5,768th J.D. Drew thread?  are new great amazing insightful posts going to bring up issues never discussed?  I mean.....come on. J.D. Drews time is coming to an end, and while his offense is on the decline dramatically this year he is still a perfectly serviceable defensive right fielder and for a team that is putting up HISTORICAL offensive numbers......do you really really really really wanna complain right now??? do you really think he is hurting this teams chances of winning this year??? just give it up I mean.....come on. 
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

Post of the week!  Thanks!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

apology of the week! DREW and his blind followers thank you.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano09. Show Modano09's posts

If the offense keeps putting up runs, and Drew does nothing the rest of the way but catch the ball everytime it's hit to him, I'll be happy with that.

Not every player is going to bat .300 and have 100 RBI's.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

yazzer, you have to be quite a whiner to do this much complaining about the GM of a team that's gone to 4 ALCS, won 2 titles, and is in first place in the league in this, his 9th year as GM.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: JD Drew : Post of the week!  Thanks!
    Posted by jimdavis[/QUOTE]

Your welcome I'm glad you enjoyed it.

And for those of you I haven't convinced yet I have these two words for you

...........come on. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

In Response to JD Drew:
    [QUOTE]I love to bash JD just to hear the ridiculousness of his supporters when they defend him. He will go down as one of the worst Red Sox free agent signings in history. First of all, let's remember that he is making basically close to A Rod money. They've been paying him $14 million per year for 5 years now. It was a huge contract at the time, and his $14 million this year is still waaaaaaay more than our real players are getting payed, other than a few. Secondly, he plays right field. Only first base is less demanding and I know he plays half his games at Fenway. Still, only first base is less demanding. Thirdly and most importantly, this man absolutely cannot drive in runs. He comes up with more guys on base than just about anybody, and HE"S NEVER DRIVEN IN 69 RUNS FOR US. This is a rather big deal. He was touted, and still is amazingly, as a run producer, and yet he is currently averaging an RBI for every ten ABs. Think about that. For every ten of JD's ABs he gives us 1 RBI. Varitek is a catcher and he gives us about 1.5 RBI per 10 ABs. Salty is the same way, and has more RBIs in fact with less ABs. They usually bat last and they are not having good years, and they STILL are better than our $14 million right fielder at driving in runs. Nobody in baseball is worse at getting a run in from 3rd with less than 2 outs than JD. He approaches these ABs the same way he does if he leads off the 9th in a one run game. So he watches third strikes and falls behind in the count, pops the ball up to the infield, or whatever else he has to do in order to keep from getting that run in from third. My friends and I laugh about it. We text each other when he comes up in those situations and just shake our heads in amazement as he watches yet another third strike go by. He cannot drive in runs. Big waste of money.
    Posted by Scott8340[/QUOTE]

With you all the way on this one, and the way he is going this year, even his undying defenders will run out of ammunition. I am not going to get all over Theo about it, because FA can be a crapshoot, but it does bother me that the organization just seems to get so little out of him because the demand so little out of him. Tito is not exactly a task master and who knows what anyone really says to him, but after all this failure, if someone in the organization really was getting after him, you would think that something would have leaked by now. So I can only conclude that management has written him off as a "bad investment" and moved on, in which case they should let him ride the pine and put Reddick in to see if we can get some production from that spot.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mike1221. Show mike1221's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: JD Drew : Slav, No offense, but he strikes out & walks too much!  Don't mind the walks, but he stands & looks at too many 3rd strikes that are a 1/2 inch off the plate....  He has a great eye, but that's just either TOO STUBBORN or TOO SCARED to swing! PRETTIEST , least taken advantage of swing I've ever seen! AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!   Still like the guy!  BUT, these are fair criticisms................. & SORRY!  especially for the money?  :)
    Posted by redsoxdirtdog[/QUOTE]

You just can't count on JD, that's my issue with him. He is good in the outfiedl but even there he doesn't take chances. He'll let the ball drop rather than risk diving and look bad. The prettiest swing I've seen in a long time or perhaps ever comes from Rizzo. SD picked up a solid player there.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from OscarGamble. Show OscarGamble's posts

[QUOTE]how come you tea-partyists never put any blame on the moron george w? it was his 8 terrible years that has done this country in; him and his puppet-master cheney. it wouldn't be because georgie is white, would it?

An embarrassingly pathetic response to the facts presented. 

Blithering clowns should post less.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from OscarGamble. Show OscarGamble's posts

[QUOTE]oscar the republican grouch has spoken. you wouldn't know a fact if it smacked you in the face . go get some more TEA. and keep up your BAGGER job at the grocery store.

Saddest part is I suspect he believes these are clever responses. 

Shame on me for arguing with an 8 year-old.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]saddest part is that you never suspected a thing in your whole wasted life. and i wasn't trying to be clever; i really believe that you're a bagger at a grocery store. and shame on you for being a big part of what bill maher calls a "dumb f'ing country."

Let's try to stay away from the politics!  It just gets nutty.

How 'bout this???

FACTS are stubborn things!

The collapse of our economy was mostly due to the sub-prime mortgage crisis.  This crisis was easily foreseeable.  Congress mandated loans be given to those who COULD NOT AFFORD THEM.  These loans were adjustable & pegged to the prime lending rate.  Lenders understood this, but were forced to make these loans by the gov.  Fanny & Freddy accelerated this process.  THESE LOANS were "packaged" as mortgaged backed securities!  IT WAS A PONZIE SCHEME, GUARANTEED TO COLLAPSE!  IT DID COLLAPSE, beginning with Lehman Bros.  THIS caused a cascading effect, as these mortgage backed securities were endemic to the lending institutions.  THE ENTIRE ECONOMY started to collapse!  The gov. bailed out said lending institutions, WHO KNEW these were TOXIC ASSETS, at OUR EXPENSE!!!!!!!!!!!  GUESS WHAT?????  It's still not over!!!!!!!!!

PLENTY OF BLAME TO GO AROUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dems!  i.e.  Barney Frank & Chris Dodd of the House Banking com. started this ball rolling!

Rep.  Did not do enough to stop this!

Bush....   Spent like a drunken sailor, increasing the Debt & Def. by 4 Trillion

Obama....  Has accelerated this spending with a vengeance!  + 4.6 Trillion in 2 1/2 yrs!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bush....  Iraq a mistake!!!  Big mistake!  WE HAVE NO $$$$

Obama....  Afghanistan "the good war" according to the Left?  TRIPLE DOWN!
                    *  Libya?  Are you f'n kidding me??????

Look!  Let's cut the $h!t!  Both administrations are responsible for our desperately critical problems!  Now the problems have accelerated to critical mass!!!!!!!!!!!!  WE are headed over the cliff, & this admin. is exacerbating the problems through crippling business regulations, costly Health Care, a focus on exponentially more costly energy sources, while squeezing the domestic oil & coal producers, etc.....

WE argue back & forth, demagoguing the issues at both political POLES!
    EXTREME Right wingers & EXTREME Left wingers will scream back & forth, desperately clinging to blind ideology while this country continues to spiral down!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NUTS!!!!!!!!!

SO!  Let's stop the screaming back & forth, as BOTH Political POLES are the problem!

NOW!  Let's talk baseball & have some fun :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

p.s.   Before I'm called a "Tea Bagger,".....  I contributed to Obama's campaign!!!!

I did have some hope for change!  I didn't think anybody could do worse than __

I WAS WRONG!

This guy is Jimmy Carter on STEROIDS!

SORRY!!!!!  IT'S TRUE!  IMO

If you don't see it????   & now want to kill the messenger????

You are likely a blind ideologue?????

p.s.....   Remember.....  I thought G.W. was a disaster too

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Let's stick to what we ALL AGREE ON???  Life would really suck without the Red Sox!!!!!!

:)    :)    :)    :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Isn't this a sports site that's supposed to be about Red Sox baseball? I just don't get the need of posters to bring their political rants to this forum. Discussing baseball should raise us all above the political muck of Washington, D.C. 

Sections
Shortcuts