JD Drew

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from markes8336. Show markes8336's posts

Re: JD Drew

In Response to Re: JD Drew:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: JD Drew : Yes experience is a solid point. And while Reddick has hit for more power in AAA this year than Drew has in MLB, their BA and OBP are identical. It isn't much a leap for a manager to think that in MLB a young players performance may drop particularly initially. When you consider Josh was in the .235 BA - .330 OBP range in AAA is not shouting bench Drew with his defensive prowess and the potential to get on a hot streak. But right now with Crawford out I think it makes for opportunity. Opportunity for Reddick to make a case for more PT and possible a case for Mac to over take Cameron as the primary RH RF platoon partner.  
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

I agree that this is a good time for Reddick to perhaps pick up some PT. Who knows...if he 'Wows' in limited time, he could earn more.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

I have never liked Drew, and I lately have continued to bash his hitting, but his glove is still pretty good.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

THIS is a TOUGH ONE!!!

I truly appreciate all Drew has done for us, & continues to do for us defensively!

He's also done it with his bat at key times in Red Sox history:)

Having said that.....  He could be one of the most disappointing players of ALL TIME!  He has SO MUCH TALENT!!!!!   BUT, I personally think he lacks baseball heart????  I THINK it has to do with having his head in the clouds??????????
    AS IN.....  thinking about God!  GREAT THING!!!  BUT, sometimes you have to get a little dirty!  DIRTDOG style!!!  He just doesn't seem to have that edge!!!!
    I still LOVE HIM in RF!!!!  Great glove!  BEST jump on the ball, bar none!
    The rest of his game....  At the plate???   He just doesn't seem to give a $h!t!
    It's off the plate by 3cm, well...... he's just not gonna f'n swing!  Yeh!  It's frustrating as hell!

LOOK J.D.  You can think about God all you want after the game!  Right now....
    MAN UP!  & start thinking about the team!

FULL OF HYPERBOLE??????

GUILTY!

p.s...........................

NOT READY TO GIVE UP ON THE GUY!  FOR THE RECORD.....   I STILL LIKE HIM!

I'll post something positive about him tomorrow :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

No one has ever figured out just how Drew got the big payday to come here, either.

He opted out of his Dodgers contract seemingly without a place to go.  People wondered why he wouldn't take the (pretty good) money and stay there, rather than cut loose with no suitor in sight.  Then up pops Theo, with a sweet $14 mill a year, bidding against nobody.

Why?  Boston press asked the question, since the well-named Nancy was known to be a guy who'd pull himself out of a game for a hangnail.  No one ever figured it out.  Meanwhile, Theo went all defensive about Drew, saying things like RBIs and average are overrated, etc.

They never could find a place in the lineup for the guy, and that became one of many excuses the Drew lovers would trot out in his defense -- ("if he was hitting 3d or 4th he'd have more RBIs...").

What I've always wondered is if the Drew signing was part of a larger landscape involving Boras and Dice-K.  Boras was in the middle of both signings.  Could it be that Boras whispered something to Theo about what he felt Dice-K would settle for for a salary, which then gave Theo the ability to do the numbers and make the offer to the Japanese for a go-ahead in the bargaining?

And maybe in the same conversation Boras said "Oh, by the way, what might JD expect to get from you if he happened to opt out of his contract with the Dodgers?"

That's my suspicion.  Because otherwise Theo, who I always thought was pretty smart, went out and gave $70 mill to a guy who's a known loafer and a mediocre ball player.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

When people keep complaining about Drew's RBI's they overlook how many runs he scores.  He averages 99 runs and 83 RBI per 162 games.  That's where his OBP pays off.  Certainly not a classic mid-order hitter.  Aside from stolen bases, his production is more comparable to someone like Damon or Pedroia.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I guess people want him to swing at balls with men on base.
    Drew has been pitched around so often in Boston due to mostly crappy hitters behind him.

I never thought it was possible to "walk too much", but apparently some think that to be true.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]No one has ever figured out just how Drew got the big payday to come here, either. He opted out of his Dodgers contract seemingly without a place to go.  People wondered why he wouldn't take the (pretty good) money and stay there, rather than cut loose with no suitor in sight.  Then up pops Theo, with a sweet $14 mill a year, bidding against nobody. Why?  Boston press asked the question, since the well-named Nancy was known to be a guy who'd pull himself out of a game for a hangnail.  No one ever figured it out.  Meanwhile, Theo went all defensive about Drew, saying things like RBIs and average are overrated, etc. They never could find a place in the lineup for the guy, and that became one of many excuses the Drew lovers would trot out in his defense -- ("if he was hitting 3d or 4th he'd have more RBIs..."). What I've always wondered is if the Drew signing was part of a larger landscape involving Boras and Dice-K.  Boras was in the middle of both signings.  Could it be that Boras whispered something to Theo about what he felt Dice-K would settle for for a salary, which then gave Theo the ability to do the numbers and make the offer to the Japanese for a go-ahead in the bargaining? And maybe in the same conversation Boras said "Oh, by the way, what might JD expect to get from you if he happened to opt out of his contract with the Dodgers?" That's my suspicion.  Because otherwise Theo, who I always thought was pretty smart, went out and gave $70 mill to a guy who's a known loafer and a mediocre ball player.
    Posted by Ergoetal[/QUOTE]I think you have the whole Dice K - Drew thing wrong. The reason the RS signed Drew is that Trot Nixon was shot and they nobody in the farm system who could man RF.

Dice K as a negotiation spun far differently than the RS thought it would when they put so much posting fee up.  The RS had estimated that they could sign Dice K because he had no leverage except going back to Japan for $30-$40M. But Boras played the card that Dice K would go back to Japan and wait until after the 2008 season when he could be an unconditional FA.  If you remember the RS final offer was not accepted by Dice K-Boras the last evening the RS were in Newport Beach. They walked from the table convinced that they weren't going to be able to sign Dice K when Boras called as their limo was pulling up to the airport to take them back home to Boston. They then spent the entire flight on John Henry's private jet with Boras extracting additional perks. Far from being in the bag, Dice K was a tough negotiation which later inspired John Henry to try the "walk from the table" tactic again with Mark Texieria only to discover that Boras did have the NYY in play.

Drew was signed because the RS had a desire to win now, their internal options were awful and Drew the best available FA OF on the market that off season. As we question the log term wisdom of that decision we can now do it with the hindsight that the RS were won the WS in 2007, went to the distance before losing in the ALCS the following year and made the playoffs in 2009.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Wasn't it Shaughnessy who raised the thing about the Drew and Dice deals being connected?  I saw him say he thought it was a 'corrupt deal'...Bob Ryan said he doubted that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]I guess people want him to swing at balls with men on base. Drew has been pitched around so often in Boston due to mostly crappy hitters behind him. I never thought it was possible to "walk too much", but apparently some think that to be true.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Slav,

No offense, but he strikes out & walks too much!  Don't mind the walks, but he stands & looks at too many 3rd strikes that are a 1/2 inch off the plate....  He has a great eye, but that's just either TOO STUBBORN or TOO SCARED to swing!
    PRETTIEST, least taken advantage of swing I've ever seen!

AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!   Still like the guy!  BUT, these are fair criticisms.................
    & SORRY!  especially for the money?  :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

p.s.

Having said that.............  I think he has a pretty good second half!  He's starting to heat up!   :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

AGAIN................   bears repeating!  He strikes out too much!

this game was brutal!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to JD Drew:
    [QUOTE]I love to bash JD just to hear the ridiculousness of his supporters when they defend him. He will go down as one of the worst Red Sox free agent signings in history. First of all, let's remember that he is making basically close to A Rod money. They've been paying him $14 million per year for 5 years now. It was a huge contract at the time, and his $14 million this year is still waaaaaaay more than our real players are getting payed, other than a few. Secondly, he plays right field. Only first base is less demanding and I know he plays half his games at Fenway. Still, only first base is less demanding. Thirdly and most importantly, this man absolutely cannot drive in runs. He comes up with more guys on base than just about anybody, and HE"S NEVER DRIVEN IN 69 RUNS FOR US. This is a rather big deal. He was touted, and still is amazingly, as a run producer, and yet he is currently averaging an RBI for every ten ABs. Think about that. For every ten of JD's ABs he gives us 1 RBI. Varitek is a catcher and he gives us about 1.5 RBI per 10 ABs. Salty is the same way, and has more RBIs in fact with less ABs. They usually bat last and they are not having good years, and they STILL are better than our $14 million right fielder at driving in runs. Nobody in baseball is worse at getting a run in from 3rd with less than 2 outs than JD. He approaches these ABs the same way he does if he leads off the 9th in a one run game. So he watches third strikes and falls behind in the count, pops the ball up to the infield, or whatever else he has to do in order to keep from getting that run in from third. My friends and I laugh about it. We text each other when he comes up in those situations and just shake our heads in amazement as he watches yet another third strike go by. He cannot drive in runs. Big waste of money.
    Posted by Scott8340[/QUOTE]

Drew and Cam seem to have very little left offensively.  With absolutely no trade value I guess our management will have to suffer through the remainder of the season watching 20 get wasted away.  Even more with Dice down and out.

I hope one of them can still give us some help when we need it most.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In Response to JD Drew:
    [QUOTE]I love to bash JD just to hear the ridiculousness of his supporters when they defend him. He will go down as one of the worst Red Sox free agent signings in history. First of all, let's remember that he is making basically close to A Rod money. They've been paying him $14 million per year for 5 years now. It was a huge contract at the time, and his $14 million this year is still waaaaaaay more than our real players are getting payed, other than a few. Secondly, he plays right field. Only first base is less demanding and I know he plays half his games at Fenway. Still, only first base is less demanding. Thirdly and most importantly, this man absolutely cannot drive in runs. He comes up with more guys on base than just about anybody, and HE"S NEVER DRIVEN IN 69 RUNS FOR US. This is a rather big deal. He was touted, and still is amazingly, as a run producer, and yet he is currently averaging an RBI for every ten ABs. Think about that. For every ten of JD's ABs he gives us 1 RBI. Varitek is a catcher and he gives us about 1.5 RBI per 10 ABs. Salty is the same way, and has more RBIs in fact with less ABs. They usually bat last and they are not having good years, and they STILL are better than our $14 million right fielder at driving in runs. Nobody in baseball is worse at getting a run in from 3rd with less than 2 outs than JD. He approaches these ABs the same way he does if he leads off the 9th in a one run game. So he watches third strikes and falls behind in the count, pops the ball up to the infield, or whatever else he has to do in order to keep from getting that run in from third. My friends and I laugh about it. We text each other when he comes up in those situations and just shake our heads in amazement as he watches yet another third strike go by. He cannot drive in runs. Big waste of money.
    Posted by Scott8340[/QUOTE]

Of course you feel the way you do, you have 57 posts in three years. Posters like you are notorious for negative threads. You're an obvious alias that just comes in to keep the negative conversations going. Your time would be better spent on a Yankee board concentrating on how your team can hold on to second place.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I appreciate all that JD Drew has done, and he remains a solid defensive RF, but he is completely guessing wrong at the plate right now. He looks just lost. And frankly, I'm ok if he got ceremoniously released. It's that bad for him. He is in his last MLB season (his call). He collected a lot of money, some of it well deserved, but mostly an underachiever. Right now, it's pretty sad watching the platoon of Drew/Cameron. Both guys are just shadows of themselves in their prime. Bring on the Reddick-McDonald platoon. Yes, it's that bad.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

drew looks like he is done. his bat looks lifeless and he looks like he is ready to retire. As for whoever said that drew averages 83 rbi per season, check his stats with the sox. He has never got more than 68 rbi in a season during his redsox career. I would say that has alot to do with his .249 avg with risp during his redsox career. Drew is extremely overrated. Theo can make up all the excuses he wants about homers and rbi's not being that important but the fact of the matter is that the hitters who make the most money in the mlb are the ones who drive in the runs and hit homers. Sorry theo, drew is a bust no matter which way you look at it. And when theo had a chance to sign a good outfielder(matt holliday) he passed and sign the super bust known as john lackey and then proceeded to waste millions on carl crawford. Clearly theo needs a lesson on what constitutes a quality starting outfielder cuz he has yet to add one to this team during his time as gm. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

I said three years ago that JD Drew was thee worst free agent signing ever. I stopped  because I kept getting abused by the professional posters in here.

It's his last year , unless Theo gets a brain cramp, and has to have him again.
    His roster spot has curtailed the promotions of kalish and Reddick to name a couple. Drew took the big money, that is not his fault, it is the fault of the person who offered it to Drew.

When Theo signed him, he was coming off a career year, the first year he wasn't on the DL for 20 or more games. What's he done in Boston, that any other major league outfielder couldn't have done , for half the money?  Answer ....Nothing. And now he is looking at the sunset, he probably has the first dollar he ever made. He is already mentally retired. Get rid of the stiff,
    he is pathetic. bring up Reddick permanently . Give Drew his millions and tell him , to fu.. off. He only plays against right handed pitchers and he is hitting .225 against them. He is a waste of space, don't agree with me? Look at the current numbers.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]I said three years ago that JD Drew was thee worst free agent signing ever. I stopped  because I kept getting abused by the professional posters in here.
    Posted by aussiewill[/QUOTE]

Saying Drew was the worst free agent signing ever is just a dumb statement. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

"saying DREW was the worst free agent signing is just a dumb statement."

i agree; it's just ONE of the worst free agent signings.
    THEO, king of bad free agent signings, has LUGO and LACKEY on his resume.
    dollar for dollar, THEO, as a GM, is mediocre at best.
    'boy genius.' huh! that's like calling sarah palin a 'girl genius.'

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

The Sox should just give Drew  his money, then let him go home to Georgia and live happily ever after.

Bit the bullet on this man and play Reddick in RF, or go out and find someone for the last 3 months of the season.

May not be the worst FA signing, but certainly not one of Theo's finer moves.

I'm just  tired of watching Drew go  thru the motions and seeminly not caring about the outcome of his AB'S.

We can  certainly do better at this point, and should go out and find someone to play RF the final 3 months.

One  possible peson might be  Ludwick of the Padres  as he will be a FA and  will not be in the Padres plans for 2012. H e would be a upgrade for the fnal 3 months, and little cost or risk to the Sox.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]"saying DREW was the worst free agent signing is just a dumb statement." i agree; it's just ONE of the worst free agent signings. THEO, king of bad free agent signings, has LUGO and LACKEY on his resume. dollar for dollar, THEO, as a GM, is mediocre at best. 'boy genius.' huh! that's like calling sarah palin a 'girl genius.'
    Posted by --the--yazzer[/QUOTE]

Do a real comparison of Theo against the other GM's then.  Back up your statement.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano09. Show Modano09's posts

Worst free agent signing? I'd call Smoltz or Penny worse signings. Ignoring the money, those two gave the team nothing and were so bad they had to be let go before the end of the season.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

in my opinion THEO is mediocre. what's to back up?
    his free agent signings speak volumes. nobody spends more for players that are later untradeable than the great THEO.
    honestly, do you believe that CRAWFORD will ever justify 20 million dollars/year?
    as long as JOHN HENRY'S money making machine doesn't break, THEO can continue to be less than zero.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

With the Sox hot I think a straight platoon with Reddick is in order, time to see who can help us for 2012 in RF.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

A better question to the blind homers is: Would you sign Drew right now, today?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano09. Show Modano09's posts

[QUOTE]in my opinion THEO is mediocre. what's to back up? his free agent signings speak volumes. nobody spends more for players that are later untradeable than the great THEO. honestly, do you believe that CRAWFORD will ever justify 20 million dollars/year? as long as JOHN HENRY'S money making machine doesn't break, THEO can continue to be less than zero.
    Posted by --the--yazzer[/QUOTE]

I think people are too hard on Crawford. He's shown he's a great player, he'll come around. But no, $20 million/year is too much, and it's probably going to be an ugly contract in years 5 to 7.

I'm on the fence on Theo though. Trading prospects for A-Gon is the type of move I'd desperately want to see happen but he'd likely not do in the past. He did it, and all's working out pretty well so far. But I think he tries to be too smart sometimes, as if his evaluation of a player is the be all end all. Letting good players leave because they might not be worth their contract in 4 years is frustrating when they're going to be good for another 3 years, as is them turning around and spending that money on guys who most fans suspect will be a bust. As if letting good players go because they'll get a draft pick out of it.

Yet they two good players go this off season, replaced them, and ended up with 4 solid draft picks. So I can't really complain about it right now.