JD Drew

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: JD Drew

I'm all confused now.  Is the recession JD Drew's fault?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Space - The recession??? C'mon, man. Don't be silly .... the recession was all Wakefield.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In Response to Re: JD Drew:
    [QUOTE]I'm all confused now.  Is the recession JD Drew's fault?
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

:)

LOL!     :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: JD Drew : You just can't count on JD, that's my issue with him. He is good in the outfiedl but even there he doesn't take chances. He'll let the ball drop rather than risk diving and look bad. The prettiest swing I've seen in a long time or perhaps ever comes from Rizzo. SD picked up a solid player there.
    Posted by mike1221[/QUOTE]

So you'd rather him dive just to look good to the fans and let a single turn into a triple which is what happens in Fenway's RF when the ball gets past the RF on a play where it wasn't hit over his head.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

crap, if drew dived, he'd be out for a month.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OscarGamble. Show OscarGamble's posts

Even when Drew wasn't hitting....which happened quite regularly....at minimum, he rarely looked totally clueless at the plate. 

I don't know what has happened to his swing. These half cuts he's taking of late; appears to have a lot of tentativeness and zero confidence up there.

With Cameron and McDonald doing less-than-nothing all season, the RS have definite issues in their outfield. I love Cameron but this simply can't go on much longer. As our platoon RF he's under .150, 2 for his last 31, and for all intents and purposes, an automatic out. He has a career OPS of .870 vs. LHP; this year, he's at around .550. An absolute disaster from what's considered your platoon RF. At 38 years old, he may have hit the wall.

I loved what McDonald contributed last year but he's done even less than Cameron....and getting picked off 2B in the 9th inning, down a run, with two outs earlier this year doesn't help. Backup right-handed corner OF's that can hit just a little aren't that tough to find. Sad to say but McDonald's close to being a goner.

Trade deadline is coming up. I wouldn't mind going with Reddick for the forseeable if Drew can't get SOMETHING going....and soon. I have real concerns about getting anything from from the other 2 all season.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scott8340. Show Scott8340's posts

So many of the posters on here use the ARod money line do discredit the rest of what I said. I used the Arod line because, back when they signed Drew, there weren't too many people making more than $14 million per, and ARod was one of the few. ARod wasn't making $31 million when Drew signed for $14.  When JD signed, people compared him to ARod and even Manny. Not many people made $14 million a year when they signed him. That was my point.

To say that RBIs are just luck is ridiculous when you play for the Red Sox. The Red Sox lineups, year after year, are the luck that people talk about in that situation. If you play for the Royals, you are unlucky in terms of RBIs, but when you play for the Red Sox, and have guys on base all day long, you are lucky and should be kicking tail in the RBI department. His .223 average with RISP as a member of the RS is not a matter of luck. It's a matter of him being too scared to swing and wanting to draw a walk instead. He watches way to many 3rd strikes with runners on 3rd and less than 2 outs. There just isn't any defending that, although it is amusing to read the attempts.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]To say that RBIs are just luck is ridiculous when you play for the Red Sox. The Red Sox lineups, year after year, are the luck that people talk about in that situation. If you play for the Royals, you are unlucky in terms of RBIs, but when you play for the Red Sox, and have guys on base all day long, you are lucky and should be kicking tail in the RBI department. His .223 average with RISP as a member of the RS is not a matter of luck. It's a matter of him being too scared to swing and wanting to draw a walk instead. He watches way to many 3rd strikes with runners on 3rd and less than 2 outs. There just isn't any defending that, although it is amusing to read the attempts.
    Posted by Scott8340[/QUOTE]

In 2007 Julio Lugo hit .237 and had 73 RBI and Dustin Pedroia hit .317 and had 50 RBI.  They were both playing for the Red Sox.

No luck factor, huh?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scott8340. Show Scott8340's posts

Hfxsoxnut,
    You really are an idiot. Do you think that your little stat there erases my point? It doesn't. If you can't see how awful JD has been at driving in runs for the Red Sox, I have to believe you are invested in the guy in some way. You're pathetic.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Hfxsoxnut, You really are an idiot. Do you think that your little stat there erases my point? It doesn't. If you can't see how awful JD has been at driving in runs for the Red Sox, I have to believe you are invested in the guy in some way. You're pathetic.

Nice job.  When the numbers go against you, bring out the insults. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]Hfxsoxnut, You really are an idiot. Do you think that your little stat there erases my point? It doesn't. If you can't see how awful JD has been at driving in runs for the Red Sox, I have to believe you are invested in the guy in some way. You're pathetic.
    Posted by Scott8340[/QUOTE]Yeah Hfxsoxnut, don't interupt a totally good bashing of a player with statistical facts!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

You mean to say Drew is on the open stock market?
    Is he's sponsoring a fine wine?
    Maybe it's a Drew bros. venture...like the Smith Bros.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I’ve done plenty of Drew defending over the last few years, because he isn’t as bad as his critics say.  To call him the “worst free agent signing of all time” is ridiculous.  He wasn’t the worst OF contract in 2007 (Matthews, Soriano, and Lee were all worse) or even the worst Red Sox free agent signing that year (Lugo).

I’m not a big proponent of using RBI to judge a player; it can be largely a product of opportunity.  In the case of Drew, however, he did underperform in this category, though not to the degree his critics claim.

I decided to look into how Drew was at driving runners in.  So I checked out how many men were on base for him during his first 4 years in Boston, and compared it to his RBI totals, minus his HRs, and calculated the percentage of runners on base  he drove in over that span.  I had to subtract HRs, because he gets no credit for driving in himself.  I intended to only look at RISP, but decided I wouldn’t be able to figure out how many RBI were runners on 1b without serious research, so to heck with that.  

From 2007 through 2010, JD Drew drove in 14% of all the runners who were on base when he came up.  During that same time frame, David Ortiz drove in 17% of all runners who were on base when he came up.  Kevin Youkilis drove in 16% of all runners on base during that same timeframe.  I decided to check out Mike Lowell from 2006 through 2010 (and ignore his final injury-plagued year) and found he also drove in 16% of all runners.  Lowell’s RBI total was inflated by a 2007 season when he came to bat with over 521 men on base, a ridiculous amount.  He drove in 99 of them (19%).  If you look at the other 3 years, Lowell drove in 15% of all runners, barely ahead of Drew.  When was the last time anyone criticized Lowell over RBI?  (It is worth noting that Lowell was paid similarly to Drew during his final year, played less often and less effectively, and was not treated with repeated DFA requests by fans wishing him gone.  Rather many felt he was the victim of injustice from the team’s management that refused to release him and pay him to play elsewhere.)

So, if Drew were to drive in runs at the same rate at Youkilis and Lowell (two players never criticized for RBI totals), he would have needed to drive in another 28 runs over the last 4 seasons.  Or 7 RBI per year.

Yes, all this fuss over Drew is over 7 RBI. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: JD Drew : I’ve done plenty of Drew defending over the last few years, because he isn’t as bad as his critics say.  To call him the “worst free agent signing of all time” is ridiculous.  He wasn’t the worst OF contract in 2007 (Matthews, Soriano, and Lee were all worse) or even the worst Red Sox free agent signing that year (Lugo).   I’m not a big proponent of using RBI to judge a player; it can be largely a product of opportunity.  In the case of Drew, however, he did underperform in this category, though not to the degree his critics claim.   I decided to look into how Drew was at driving runners in.  So I checked out how many men were on base for him during his first 4 years in Boston, and compared it to his RBI totals, minus his HRs, and calculated the percentage of runners on base  he drove in over that span.  I had to subtract HRs, because he gets no credit for driving in himself.  I intended to only look at RISP, but decided I wouldn’t be able to figure out how many RBI were runners on 1b without serious research, so to heck with that.     From 2007 through 2010, JD Drew drove in 14% of all the runners who were on base when he came up.  During that same time frame, David Ortiz drove in 17% of all runners who were on base when he came up.  Kevin Youkilis drove in 16% of all runners on base during that same timeframe.  I decided to check out Mike Lowell from 2006 through 2010 (and ignore his final injury-plagued year) and found he also drove in 16% of all runners.  Lowell’s RBI total was inflated by a 2007 season when he came to bat with over 521 men on base, a ridiculous amount.  He drove in 99 of them (19%).  If you look at the other 3 years, Lowell drove in 15% of all runners, barely ahead of Drew.  When was the last time anyone criticized Lowell over RBI?  (It is worth noting that Lowell was paid similarly to Drew during his final year, played less often and less effectively, and was not treated with repeated DFA requests by fans wishing him gone.  Rather many felt he was the victim of injustice from the team’s management that refused to release him and pay him to play elsewhere.)   So, if Drew were to drive in runs at the same rate at Youkilis and Lowell (two players never criticized for RBI totals), he would have needed to drive in another 28 runs over the last 4 seasons.  Or 7 RBI per year.   Yes, all this fuss over Drew is over 7 RBI. 
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

Good post.

Drew's bad luck was to have his worst year hitting w/RISP in 2009, one of his better years in Boston in both hitting/OPS and games played. He had 68 RBIs that year but hit a career-worst .22-something w/RISP. If he was at his career norm in the .270s, he might have had around 80 RBIs that year and might have -- MAYBE -- quieted his critics somewhat.

The people who just want to btch about him don't want reason. They'll rip his low RBI numbers or his BA this year or his Ks this year. But when you show how his numbers rank among other RF'ers since he's been here or how his numbers are similar to Nixon's last five year in Boston, they'll say stats don't mean anything.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

JD is giving people ample reason to b*tch this year.
    It looks to be a steady regression off his low OBP of 2010.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

I'm really shocked at how bad JD has been.  I really thought we was going to go on a tear after the first season with the Sox, but it never really happened. What a shame.  He has all the tools (that's what everyone says), and seems like a really nice guy (not that being nice matters much) but it just never happened for him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

He was brought in under a huge contract to bat 5th and drive in runs.  He bats 8th and does not drive in runs.  Therefore, he failed.  Theo failed.  Period.

3 more months.  Assuming he is left off of the playoff roster.  Let him start his retirement early. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Typical - anyone defending him has been doing so for years, and now JD has fully exposed himself as useless to even his most ardent supporters.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Drew never earned the money he made - but he is still one of our 3 best outfielders so lets leave it at that and play the hand we have been dealt - next year we have some options and cash available

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

LOL.  Another post that is so wrong in so many ways.

Not that Hfx needs any help defending himself, but he is one of the best and most intelligent posters around.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: JD Drew : I’ve done plenty of Drew defending over the last few years, because he isn’t as bad as his critics say.  To call him the “worst free agent signing of all time” is ridiculous.  He wasn’t the worst OF contract in 2007 (Matthews, Soriano, and Lee were all worse) or even the worst Red Sox free agent signing that year (Lugo).   Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

Good post Notin.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Andrew can smell a Drew thread five miles away upwind. There will be a huge void in his BDC forum life when Drew is gone next year. He will like a MacGyver without his duct tape and penknife.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: JD Drew : I’ve done plenty of Drew defending over the last few years, because he isn’t as bad as his critics say.  To call him the “worst free agent signing of all time” is ridiculous.  He wasn’t the worst OF contract in 2007 (Matthews, Soriano, and Lee were all worse) or even the worst Red Sox free agent signing that year (Lugo).   I’m not a big proponent of using RBI to judge a player; it can be largely a product of opportunity.  In the case of Drew, however, he did underperform in this category, though not to the degree his critics claim.   I decided to look into how Drew was at driving runners in.  So I checked out how many men were on base for him during his first 4 years in Boston, and compared it to his RBI totals, minus his HRs, and calculated the percentage of runners on base  he drove in over that span.  I had to subtract HRs, because he gets no credit for driving in himself.  I intended to only look at RISP, but decided I wouldn’t be able to figure out how many RBI were runners on 1b without serious research, so to heck with that.     From 2007 through 2010, JD Drew drove in 14% of all the runners who were on base when he came up.  During that same time frame, David Ortiz drove in 17% of all runners who were on base when he came up.  Kevin Youkilis drove in 16% of all runners on base during that same timeframe.  I decided to check out Mike Lowell from 2006 through 2010 (and ignore his final injury-plagued year) and found he also drove in 16% of all runners.  Lowell’s RBI total was inflated by a 2007 season when he came to bat with over 521 men on base, a ridiculous amount.  He drove in 99 of them (19%).  If you look at the other 3 years, Lowell drove in 15% of all runners, barely ahead of Drew.  When was the last time anyone criticized Lowell over RBI?  (It is worth noting that Lowell was paid similarly to Drew during his final year, played less often and less effectively, and was not treated with repeated DFA requests by fans wishing him gone.  Rather many felt he was the victim of injustice from the team’s management that refused to release him and pay him to play elsewhere.)   So, if Drew were to drive in runs at the same rate at Youkilis and Lowell (two players never criticized for RBI totals), he would have needed to drive in another 28 runs over the last 4 seasons.  Or 7 RBI per year.   Yes, all this fuss over Drew is over 7 RBI. 
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

So we've all been going nuts here because of a lousy 7 RBI!??!

Who would have thought?

Thanks for clearing that up.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]Andrew can smell a Drew thread five miles away upwind. There will be a huge void in his BDC forum life when Drew is gone next year. He will like a MacGyver without his duct tape and penknife.
    Posted by Your-Echo[/QUOTE]

LOL