Jed Lowrie - who knew?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

Re: Jed Lowrie - who knew?

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to georom4's comment:

I know...Iggy is only 2nd or 3rd in every hitting category - so lets bench him!

if anyone else on the team had a BABIP of over .600 then they would lead the team in every hitting category too......

If his .600 BAbip was basxed on line drives falling in, it would be one thing, but Iggy has only one line drive hit, 3 GB hits, and 5 weak IF grounder hits or bunts to give him 9 hits overall.

That is totally unsustainable. Sure, he might start lining more balls like he was in ST, but he's at best a .260-.275 hitter this year, and more likely a .235-.245 hitter with such great range and defensive instincts that his offense shouldn't even be an issue in need of discussion.

Moon my friend, if he cannot hit .300 with 20 dingers his glove means nothing, ask the pitching staff!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

In response to slomag's comment:

In response to Drewski5's comment:

Tom, you know the way it goes.  Fans fall in love w/ youth.  If there is a veteran who nobody likes, and there is a guy coming up through the system...The fans will scream that we have to play the rookie and act like the season hinges in the balance.

People loved Jed Lowrie because they hated Julio Lugo and therefore rooted for Lowrie to take his job.  

If Lowrie's UIF, what does that make Derek Jeter?

When Derek Jeter was in his prime, he was a below average defensive SS (and please dont recite his popularity contest winning GG's)

I agree 100%.  Jeter makes Lowrie look like Ozzie Smith.  But Jeter and his 117 OPS+ are a first-ballot lock for Cooperstown, and if I were a Yankee fan and had it all to do over again, I still don't hold onto Tony Fernandez.  

All in all, if we discount Lowrie's health issues, I'd say Lowrie is much better defensively than Jeter and not quite as good offensively.  So how can one be a hall-of-famer and the other a UIF?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Promise4you2's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to georom4's comment:

I know...Iggy is only 2nd or 3rd in every hitting category - so lets bench him!

if anyone else on the team had a BABIP of over .600 then they would lead the team in every hitting category too......

If his .600 BAbip was basxed on line drives falling in, it would be one thing, but Iggy has only one line drive hit, 3 GB hits, and 5 weak IF grounder hits or bunts to give him 9 hits overall.

That is totally unsustainable. Sure, he might start lining more balls like he was in ST, but he's at best a .260-.275 hitter this year, and more likely a .235-.245 hitter with such great range and defensive instincts that his offense shouldn't even be an issue in need of discussion.

Moon my friend, if he cannot hit .300 with 20 dingers his glove means nothing, ask the pitching staff!

.300 and 20 is still not enough for me to want him over Iggy, unless he proves me terribly wrong on his fielding skillset.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Drewski you are right about the arm, and he has been very streaky.  Some of that streakiness could be down to injury.  In 2008 and 2009, he played with a wrist fracture that was misdiagnosed and he struggled as a LHH (he has thrived as a LHH lately).

In 2011, his OPS was .803 around the day Crawford ran into him.  Hi OPS for June  was .353, Aug .655, and Sep .562.

Despite this his career OPS is .760.  The 2012 average OPS  for 2B was .699 and SS was .685.

Only 5, 2B and SS have outhit him since the Sox traded him to call him a UIF is absurd.

2012 plus 2013  wRC+  OPS:

Cano       150      .934

Zobrist      138       .854

Hill          132        .885

Desmond   130      .854

Tulo   126        .886

Lowrie  123      .817

Utley   120       .817 

Jeter  117       .791

Reyes   112

A Cabrera  110

Hanley  107  

Kinsler   101    .758

[/QUOTE]

You are using power to measure positions where power shouldnt be important.  He's fifth among MI in pop because , guys power guys (w very few exceptions), arent middle infielders.

I could put Youk at 2B, that doesnt make him an awesome secondbaseman because he has more pop than most others.

Lowrie was miscasted as a SS, didnt have the arm to play third.  Maybe he can be a decent second baseman, but second base here, has always been blocked.

Maybe calling him a UIF is a bit overboard; however, better guys have came through here.  Lowrie was very overrated by the fans.  Why?  Because he was the guy taking Julio Lugo's job and everyone hated Julio Lugo.

There are some guys who Boston fans overrate.  Lowrie is second on the recent memory list (Masterson is the clear cut #1).

[/QUOTE]

Drewski you write some good stuff, but I'm affraid this makes no sense at all.

You are using power to measure positions where power shouldnt be important.  He's fifth among MI in pop because , guys power guys (w very few exceptions), arent middle infielders.

Is Lowrie's above average hitting enough to offset his poor range?  His defense is streaky just like his bat.  In 2011, he had a stretch of awful errors.  He has also been steady in 2008 and last year.  In 2013, in his prime age season of 29 yo will his bat be good enough to make him at least an average MLB starting SS?  His career UZR/150 at SS is a positive 1.3.

1.  Cano, Tulo, Utley, Pedroia,...  can do it all.

2.  Andrus, Hardy, ... more glove than bat.

As I have said for many years, he is a poor man's Jeter.  He may be a UIF in the near future, but at age 29, with an .817 in his last 108 games he is a starter for now.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

softy was wrong again.

I was right about the pretzel, you were wrong. And your low self esteem is causing you to work to hard at trying to assert yourself with phony stats.

Jed Lowrie's career SLG is .430. He's a butcher at SS.

Lowrie's a big reject because he's never played more than 97 games in his career! He's closing in on the 30 years old.

While this nonsense is going on, Crisp has 4 homers in 8 games, which is better than fan favorite Jed slugging SS Lowrie. By year end, Lowrie will be what Lowrie always is, a butcher SS who has the constitution of Ellsbury. These two guys are two of the most overrated fan fravorites in Red Sox history. Both are career losers from college days forward.

There is irony in one sorry excuse for a SS leaving the slot for another SS butcher.

Iggy plays the position the way a starting SS in the majors should play it. The irony is that these minor league defensive profiles like S. Drew and Lowrie capture the attention of a few GM's who like to slobber over the "slugging SS".

You do all you can to make players you hate look bad when they are going bad aka: Drew or any other player. Yet when they are going good you never give any credit.

Like Jake today a clutch hit a SB and taking 3rd on the bad throw and scoring on the infield hit.hat was a damn good day and result for Jake but you will say nothing.

However if he goes 0-4 tomorrow with 4 Ks you will be all over him. That is what is wrong with you Softy a player you think suks suks all the time and you will give NO credit to at all.

If Drew and Jake hit 500 the next month you will say nothing untill the first O-fer

Sections
Shortcuts