JED TO THE D L, IGG'Y ON HIS WAY..........

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Re: JED TO THE D L, IGG'Y ON HIS WAY..........

In Response to Re: JED TO THE D L, IGG'Y ON HIS WAY..........:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: JED TO THE D L, IGG'Y ON HIS WAY.......... : What isn't viable about a more experienced SS prospect getting a shot?  Navarro just need a couple games to get his timing back now that he's off of the DL and he's far more polished offensively while being above average with the glove and he can play all over the field.  
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]
    Your description of Navarro sounds like that of an everyday SS.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: JED TO THE D L, IGG'Y ON HIS WAY.......... : Your description of Navarro sounds like that of an everyday SS.
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]

That's what he was coming up through the system.  Unfortunately for him, he was displaced by Iglesias who has a better glove (which doesn't take anything away from Navarro's glove, Iggy's is just that good).  Navarro still played as the every day SS last year, while Iggy was out with his hand issue for a couple months.

Of his 374 minor league games, he played SS for 290 of them.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

I'm getting tired now. I've whipped this dead horse issue til I'm blue in the face. I've resigned myself to the possibility that other ideas on the SS dilemma are in play and that my idea is just  one of them. With that, I'll wait to see how it plays out.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: JED TO THE D L, IGG'Y ON HIS WAY.......... : That's what he was coming up through the system.  Unfortunately for him, he was displaced by Iglesias who has a better glove (which doesn't take anything away from Navarro's glove, Iggy's is just that good).  Navarro still played as the every day SS last year, while Iggy was out with his hand issue for a couple months. Of his 374 minor league games, he played SS for 290 of them.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]
    Thanks for the information. 
    No doubt that Iglesias is at the top of the chart for the position, but it does appear that Navarro is ahead of him in terms of overall development. The Sox want Iglesias to be the SS of the future, and he may well be. The club may also have Navarro labeled a jack of all trades, including time in the outfield. But how they play will decide what Boston does with them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: JED TO THE D L, IGG'Y ON HIS WAY.......... : Thanks for the information.  No doubt that Iglesias is at the top of the chart for the position, but it does appear that Navarro is ahead of him in terms of overall development. The Sox want  Iglesias to be the SS of the future, and he may well be. The club may also have Navarro labeled a jack of all trades, including time in the outfield. But how they play will decide what Boston does with them.

The way I see it (FWIW) is Iggy is 1A and Navarro is 1B in terms of SS prospects within the organization.  I'm not sure I'm willing to say he's capable in the OF after just 5 games of experience, but the Sox certainly want to see what he can do out there and maybe have a Bill Hall type of utility guy, but with a better glove at all positions and a more consistent bat.  If Iglesias still isn't hitting come spring training, I wouldn't be surprised to see Navarro get a shot to make the team out teh gate as the starting SS, with Iggy coming up once he has improved his pitch recognition.

In my mind, it isn't a case of Iggy being anointed simply because he has a great glove, therefore he doesn't have to hit, but we have an alternative with a very good glove, who should be able to hit more.  Iggy doesn't need to be super productive with the bat to be the starter, he just needs to not be a black hole, which he currently is.

Again, that's just my 2 cents.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He's a "black hole" at SS as well. It's like he has intense gravitational pull on anything hit in his direction.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]He's a "black hole" at SS as well. It's like he has intense gravitational pull on anything hit in his direction.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Fair enough.  My point was that the defensive gains aren't the difference between Scut/Lowrie and Iggy, rather a good defensive SS in Navarro and Iggy.  There's still a gain for sure, but it isn't nearly as pronounced.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bbenton87. Show bbenton87's posts

[QUOTE]Sutton is a bad baseball player, in every aspect. Navy or Iggy should get the call. If you can play SS adequately, folks, you can play anywhere in the IF.
    Posted by betterredthandead[/QUOTE]

This is the stuff that keeps me away from the board it gets irritating to always have someone who has something to complain about get a life and get over it no one is perfect guy.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

JB-3:  Navarro is far too young for a utility player. He'd not be happy in that role. IMO, he should stay in AAA and get PA's and time in the field, even if it's at third.
    If he has a shot and wins the SS job in ST and makes a serious claim, Iglesias would have to hit a lot better to dislodge him.  
    Navarro looks in the mold of Vern Stephens and Rico Petrocelli. I'm neither comparing exactly nor predicting, just saying that he has that look and could be a SS with a dangerous bat -- either in Boston or elsewhere.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Pitch recognition is one part of Iglesias's problem at the plate. More important is that pitchers are either throwing the ball right by him or knocking the bat out of his hands. Perhaps he'll get stronger. But right now he has the full package of problems at the plate, as did, for example, Pokey Reese.  
    It may be unrealistic to expect Iglesias to progress sufficiently at the plate between now and ST.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]JB-3:  Navarro is far too young for a utility player. He'd not be happy in that role. IMO, he should stay in AAA and get PA's and time in the field, even if it's at third. If he has a shot and wins the SS job in ST and makes a serious claim, Iglesias would have to hit  a lot better  to dislodge him.   Navarro looks in the mold of Vern Stephens and Rico Petrocelli. I'm neither comparing exactly nor predicting, just saying that he has that look and could be a SS with a dangerous bat -- either in Boston or elsewhere.  

If the Sox resign Papi, then the only path to the bigs for him would be a super utility role.  If they don't resign Papi, Youk could move to DH and Navarro could play 3rd (Youk doesn't seem to be holding up too well playing 3rd on a daily basis, although we only have  a 1/3 season sample so far).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]Pitch recognition is one part of Iglesias's problem at the plate. More important is that pitchers are either throwing the ball right by him or knocking the bat out of his hands. Perhaps he'll get stronger. But right now he has the full package of problems at the plate, as did, for example, Pokey Reese.   It may be unrealistic to expect Iglesias to progress sufficiently at the plate between now and ST.  

Seeing as he's only 21 I am fairly certain he will get stronger.  pitch recognition will help him catch up to the fastball and help his plate discipline (much easier to not swing a a ball when you know it's going to break out of the zone).

You do realize it's only June right?  Plenty of time to continue making progress at the plate.  Especially for a player with much limited experience in MiLB.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from REBEL. Show REBEL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: JED TO THE D L, IGG'Y ON HIS WAY.......... : I WANT REYES! I WANT REYES!
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]

YOU ARE NUTS!!! TOTALLY NUTS!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: JED TO THE D L, IGG'Y ON HIS WAY.......... : Seeing as he's only 21 I am fairly certain he will get stronger.  pitch recognition will help him catch up to the fastball and help his plate discipline (much easier to not swing a a ball when you know it's going to break out of the zone). You do realize it's only June right?  Plenty of time to continue making progress at the plate.  Especially for a player with much limited experience in MiLB.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]
    I realize that he's only 21 and that it's only June.  
    Time is no guarantee that any player will make enough progress to land and keep a job in the bigs. ( There are plenty of examples, "can't miss" ones too. )  Pitch recognition may help him get around on the FB. Heck, batters stronger than Iggy have been known to guess correctly on pitch and location, and still not be able to do anything with the pitch. Much better hitters than he apparently don't always know when a pitch is going to break out of the zone. Otherwise why would there be so much chasing?
    In general, pitch recognition is much more difficult than you make it sound. In fact, you seem to be talking theory. 
    Iggy will or will not improve enough at the plate to become Boston's regular SS. He has a very long way to go.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: JED TO THE D L, IGG'Y ON HIS WAY.......... : If the Sox resign Papi, then the only path to the bigs for him would be a super utility role.  If they don't resign Papi, Youk could move to DH and Navarro could play 3rd (Youk doesn't seem to be holding up too well playing 3rd on a daily basis, although we only have  a 1/3 season sample so far).
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]
    In another post, you reminded me that it's only June. Allow me to remind you that there is even more time between now and the end of ST.  Why so quick to say that the only path to the bigs for Navarro is as a utility player? Didn't you elsewhere allow at least for the possibility that he could win the SS job in 2012?
    His time would be wasted and his development impeded in a utility role. That might be useful to the club but not to him. He'd probably rather be traded. Who could blame him?
    Can you think of top-tier prospects his age who were brought up only to fill in here and there, now and then?     

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Iglesias's future should be seen in a context that includes the two other batters that will constitute the bottom three in the order.  Production from the catching position remains uncertain. The Sox will be breaking in a new rightfielder. 
    If Salty hits decently and defends well, Iglesias's chances of being the SS improve somewhat.  If either Kalish or Reddick emerges as the rightfielder, he'll still be an unproven commodity.  
    This year Lowrie before his injury and Scutaro have provided enough offense to keep the entire bottom third from being a black hole.  And Salty has picked it up somewhat. Drew may get hot -- or at least warmer. 
    The point is that Iglesias's fate will depend in part on the production of others as well as upon his own.  
    Of course, it's always possible that the Sox will take his glove to override all other considerations.  Note, however, that they did not do that with Alex Gonzalez. Or Pokey Reese. And Theo thought that both Lugo and Renteria  would hit decently. Back in 2004, Cabrera was far from an automatic out. In short, there is no precedent in Boston for settling for a great field/no hit shortstop. 
    Whitey Herzog once claimed that Ozzie's glove saved 100 runs a year. To which Bill James responded, "That's ridiculous."  I have no idea how such a figure can be calculated -- if it can, given the number of variables.   

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from REBEL. Show REBEL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: JED TO THE D L, IGG'Y ON HIS WAY.......... : I WANT REYES! I WANT REYES!
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]

TO HELL WITH REYES!!

Sections
Shortcuts