Jeff Francouer!! Available!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Jeff Francouer!! Available!!

Not long ago, the Royals DFA’d Jeff Francoeur, a guy I like to refer to as The King of First Impressions.  He currently resides in DFA limbo, unclaimed by any team.  He will likely clear waivers, and can either accept a demotion or become a free agent.

While Francouer carries the “disappointment” label as he travels from team to team, if ever there was a case for a player benfiting from a change of scenery, this is the guy.  At 4 different MLB stops (Braves, Mets, Rangers, Royals), Francouer has always stepped in and made an immediate splash, to the tune of a .297 / .334  /.498 (.832OPS) slash line with 46HRs in 1294 PA.  (28.1PA/HR).  

When Francouer returns to the same team for subsequent seasons, he tends to fare far, far worse.  His numbers in those seasons are .252 / .289 / .399 (.687OPS) with 89HRs in 3278PA. (36.8PA/HR).   This certainly allows you to see why I chose the moniker for him; he does make a much better first impression.

While this possibly just falls into the realm of coincidence, it is certainly not a function of small sample size, and makes Francouer an interesting thought.   Should the Sox take a shot on the King of First Impressions?  Should anyone?   Personally, I see no harm, especially in the realm of message board fodder.  I have no problem adding an .832OPS from the right side this season, especially coupled with his defensive skillset that includes an absolute cannon for a right arm.  (Remember two years ago, when the A’s Michael Taylor singled to RF and decided he could jog to 1b while Francouer fielded his grounder?  That did not work out so well, and went into the books as the very rare 9-3 ground out.)

It’s not the worst idea, unless they give one iota of thought to extending him.  Second impressions are clearly not Francouer’s forte…

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Re: Jeff Francouer!! Available!!

In response to Bill-806's comment:

No thanks !!!

If he's not still in middle school, Bill doesn't want him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

No thanks !!!

Thanks for your input Bill.....very in depth and shows great knowledge as usual...

Ajyway....  I love your moniker for Francouer!!  After looking at some of his numbers you're 100% correct.  With the health issues revolving around Vic and Nava due (and kind of in) for one of his slumps I see no reason why they shouldn't take a flier on him.  It will add some depth if nothing else.  JBJ simply isn't the answer right now as he has proven and the other young kids in the farm simply aren't ready. 

The big question I have is, if nobody is injured then 'who goes'? 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

To follow Kingface's last statement...'who goes'?

• Ellsbury? Only if the much anticipated trade happens because of his contract situation...then again the Sox are in 1st place and going for a pennant.
    • Victorino? He's signed for 3/39 - he's not going anywhere.
    • Nava? Possible All-Star (who of thunk it) and someone who has earned his spot...definitely not to be replaced by a Francouer.
    • Gomes? This guy is the new Kevin Millar, he was brought in for his team chemistry and pitch hitting capabilities, again another guy not going anywhere.

There you have it...so unless the Sox cut ties with Ellsbury, there is no room at the Inn for Francouer, Nufced!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Interesting thought, but I dont think we have room for him.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Honestly we have Francouer in Bryce Brentz, with small chance of being better than that.  The did flat out canno't hit.  He's got power and that's it.  Look at what Josh reddick did last year, it looked nice when he hit 32 HR's but he barely hit .200 down the stretch and is horrible this year.  You put that guy in Fenway and no one is going to talk about how he hits us 25 HR's a year they are going to be talking about his 0/4 and his 1/5 with many strike outs from day to day.

Think about it this way

the KANSAS CITY ROYALS released this guy. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Not long ago, the Royals DFA’d Jeff Francoeur, a guy I like to refer to as The King of First Impressions.  He currently resides in DFA limbo, unclaimed by any team.  He will likely clear waivers, and can either accept a demotion or become a free agent.

While Francouer carries the “disappointment” label as he travels from team to team, if ever there was a case for a player benfiting from a change of scenery, this is the guy.  At 4 different MLB stops (Braves, Mets, Rangers, Royals), Francouer has always stepped in and made an immediate splash, to the tune of a .297 / .334  /.498 (.832OPS) slash line with 46HRs in 1294 PA.  (28.1PA/HR).  

When Francouer returns to the same team for subsequent seasons, he tends to fare far, far worse.  His numbers in those seasons are .252 / .289 / .399 (.687OPS) with 89HRs in 3278PA. (36.8PA/HR).   This certainly allows you to see why I chose the moniker for him; he does make a much better first impression.

While this possibly just falls into the realm of coincidence, it is certainly not a function of small sample size, and makes Francouer an interesting thought.   Should the Sox take a shot on the King of First Impressions?  Should anyone?   Personally, I see no harm, especially in the realm of message board fodder.  I have no problem adding an .832OPS from the right side this season, especially coupled with his defensive skillset that includes an absolute cannon for a right arm.  (Remember two years ago, when the A’s Michael Taylor singled to RF and decided he could jog to 1b while Francouer fielded his grounder?  That did not work out so well, and went into the books as the very rare 9-3 ground out.)

It’s not the worst idea, unless they give one iota of thought to extending him.  Second impressions are clearly not Francouer’s forte…

Not a bad thought notin but I would give Brentz his chance before a move like that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

If Francouer is still somehow around in September with the 40-man roster expansion, then sure, might as well give him a look. Otherwise I don't see the need to add him. The Red Sox are in very good shape positionally.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to davidap's comment:

If Francouer is still somehow around in September with the 40-man roster expansion, then sure, might as well give him a look. Otherwise I don't see the need to add him. The Red Sox are in very good shape positionally.

Someone will either kick the tires with him or give him a minor league deal within the week. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Interesting thought, but I dont think we have room for him.

"where is he going to play"  ?????

Thats exactly what Im saying Bill...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Honestly we have Francouer in Bryce Brentz, with small chance of being better than that.  The did flat out canno't hit.  He's got power and that's it.  Look at what Josh reddick did last year, it looked nice when he hit 32 HR's but he barely hit .200 down the stretch and is horrible this year.  You put that guy in Fenway and no one is going to talk about how he hits us 25 HR's a year they are going to be talking about his 0/4 and his 1/5 with many strike outs from day to day.

Think about it this way

the KANSAS CITY ROYALS released this guy. 

I was going to post the same thing. After thinking about it, we have Bryce Brentz. I think Brentz has a higher ceiling. Whether he reaches it is another discussion. Id rather call him up that go with JF.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/07/rangers-to-sign-manny-ramirez.html 

"Don't you worry about blank, let me worry about blank"

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

No problem with giving him a minor league deal.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to notin's comment:

No room.  The nickname "Honeymoon" could also apply.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i would take francouer if its just a matter of claiming him, he has one of the best arms in baseball and has pop from the right side. also he is 2 years removed from a really good year and is still decently young (29). even if we use him as a back up, he is worth claiming.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

i would take francouer if its just a matter of claiming him, he has one of the best arms in baseball and has pop from the right side. also he is 2 years removed from a really good year and is still decently young (29). even if we use him as a back up, he is worth claiming.

1-If you claim him, then you get his contract.

2-If you use him as a backup, who do you cut?

Sections
Shortcuts