Jenks has a second procedure-More fragments taken from back- unlikely to be ready for the start of spring training-Who takes his place?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Jenks has a second procedure-More fragments taken from back- unlikely to be ready for the start of spring training-Who ta...

When you can write something constuctive that is not laced with personal insults perhaps I will respond back with a rebuttal in kind.  Until then, enjoy the cornfields.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Re: Jenks has a second procedure-More fragments taken from back- unlikely to be ready for the start of spring training-Who ta...

In Response to Re: Jenks has a second procedure-More fragments taken from back- unlikely to be ready for the start of spring training-Who takes his place?:
    [QUOTE]I'd like to see us give Tazawa, Doubront, and Bowden a shot in the BP.
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]
    You will probably see two of these three in the BP with the other one traded (if possible) ... I think Taz still has options so he might go to AAA in April despite the fact I think he has a lot more upside than Bowden.

Someone else said the Jenks news means Bard and Ace both have to be in the pen ... I disagree.  Our pen is looking pretty well stocked and only needs one of them.  Unless Bard flat out sucks as SP, it's likely Ace to the pen since he is so damn valuable there and can easily do spot starts when necessary.  That gives the team so much more flexibility since it's pretty much guaranteed that once Bard goes into the pen he isn't doing any more starts for the year (think Joba).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In Response to Re: Jenks has a second procedure-More fragments taken from back- unlikely to be ready for the start of spring training-Who takes his place?:
    [QUOTE]That's right....that's why I warned people to not count on him.  He's part of the 51 million dollars on the bench this year.  And there were some who suggested he could be the closer this year........Forget Jenks.  Let's just chalk this up as another "Theo being Theo" matter and move on......
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

Sorry but I disagree in one aspect. This has nothing to do with Theo being Theo. At the time of the signing, although Jenks wasn't the same pitcher he had been earlier his numbers were still decent and it looked like he would be a good addition. You cannot forcast injuries like back problems unless they are present at the time of the trade. Had the Sox known of back issues I'm sure the trade would never have been consumated. 

As for chalking this up as a bad deal for what ever reason, there is no reason to believe that Jenks won't be back unless you have inside scources that say so, which I doubt you have. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]Lackey @ 14 million Dice K @ 10 Million Crawford @ 21 Million What another 6 Million in Jenks?  It just another what? 10-15% more in wasted fan's money... Theo's got some splaning to do.  Wait, he high tailed it before he had to face up to the disaster he created. 
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

The money is not the fans, it belongs to the Red Sox unless you have stock in the team. And how many games a year do you attend that your hard earned money pays for salaries.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

If I remember correctly wasn't bobby jenks the closer for the white sox and did quite well for them? I would be more than willing to stick my neck out and predict that bobby jenks having a clean bill of health and a hugh drop in body weight will come back with a vengence. IMHO!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]If I remember correctly wasn't bobby jenks the closer for the white sox and did quite well for them? I would be more than willing to stick my neck out and predict that bobby jenks having a clean bill of health and a hugh drop in body weight will come back with a vengence. IMHO!
    Posted by Hammah29r2[/QUOTE]

Hammah - I totally agree with you.  Given those two caveats, I fully expect Jenks to be a hoss.  However, those are two, um, big caveats.  Clean bill of health and huge drop in body weight?  At this point, I am inclined to say ... fat chance.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Jenks has a second procedure-More fragments taken from back- unlikely to be ready for the start of spring training-Who takes his place?:
    [QUOTE]  Jenks has a second procedure
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

I agree and always have with my fellow posters, Jenks was another Theo "bad signing" we need to forget and not count on.  Ozzie was right about Jenks and Theo signed him anyway.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

I saw concern suggested about how the Red Sox will replace Bobby Jenks, at least temporarily. Hope Jenks fully recovers from his 2 sequential back surgeries, but the Sox, other than in finacial sense did not become dependent on him. Jenks, at one time, was an effective pitcher for the White Sox. Last season, cause of back problems, Jenks never showed the Red Sox what he might still be able to do, maybe he has degenerative back problem(s), but from photos and seeing him during games, did not look like he had lost weight (maybe a problem, very few can be effective as El Guapo was with extra pounds). Since the Red Sox did not become dependent on Jenks in the pen, he is probably more of a financial strain on the Sox, interesting to see what Red Sox have in Contracts for non-productive players, mostly pitchers. Can understand how even a billionaire hedge fund principal owner might think about this, but imagine with The Red Sox, Liverpool F.C. and other investments the tax writeoffs are valuable. A baseball team owner can depreciate every one of the Contracts with player(s), thus, it is relative, but still understandable why team owners, in these times,  are more conscious of luxury taxes and similar penalties imposed by their league. Of course, successful ownerships just see paying Renteria, Lugo, Tazawa, Mike Cameron, Ellsbury, Victor Martinez, Varitek, Pedroia, Youkilis, Lackey, DiceK, Rich Hill, Kalish,Jenks etc. as a cost of doing business, even while those players are not playing. Of course, this happens to all employers, just maybe not on the same scale, but certainly it is not in the daily media nor chatted about by fans. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jenks has a second procedure-More fragments taken from back- unlikely to be ready for the start of spring training-Who takes his place? : Hammah - I totally agree with you.  Given those two caveats, I fully expect Jenks to be a hoss.  However, those are two, um, big caveats.  Clean bill of health and huge drop in body weight?  At this point, I am inclined to say ... fat chance.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

lol! good analogy space. however, if they have really done a good job and got this guys back straightened out to the point where he would be cleared to resume baseball activities, all the while being on a restricted diet to drop body fat, me thinks that "hoss" will shock the bejesus outta everybody because he's still under contract and knows just what he has to do. I don't know space, I got a 6th sense about this kind of stuff. I'm even willing to say the same thing about the dice man. we may be in for some really pleasant surprises this coming year space.

and when you,me,jessey and jetes meet at penn station next summer, I'm gonna buy the first pitcher of suds.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jenks has a second procedure-More fragments taken from back- unlikely to be ready for the start of spring training-Who takes his place? : lol! good analogy space. however, if they have really done a good job and got this guys back straightened out to the point where he would be cleared to resume baseball activities, all the while being on a restricted diet to drop body fat, me thinks that "hoss" will shock the bejesus outta everybody because he's still under contract and knows just what he has to do. I don't know space, I got a 6th sense about this kind of stuff. I'm even willing to say the same thing about the dice man. we may be in for some really pleasant surprises this coming year space. and when you,me,jessey and jetes meet at penn station next summer, I'm gonna buy the first pitcher of suds.

Well, I trust your sixth sense man.  As long as you don't see dead people.  I am not writing Bobby off, but my concern is that this second procedure is gonna set back his ST progressions.  It seems to always be dodgy when a pitcher has to do an extended ST thing, and especially when the guy hasn't pitched in a long time.  

As for the Dice-man, I am with you.  reports from NH appearance last month have him in great shape and raring to go.  I think pitching for Bobby V. is going to make a big difference for Daisuke.  Hopefully he is good to go by June.

And if you're buying first round of brews, I'm buying shots. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jenks has a second procedure-More fragments taken from back- unlikely to be ready for the start of spring training-Who takes his place? : Sorry but I disagree in one aspect. This has nothing to do with Theo being Theo. At the time of the signing, although Jenks wasn't the same pitcher he had been earlier his numbers were still decent and it looked like he would be a good addition. You cannot forcast injuries like back problems unless they are present at the time of the trade. Had the Sox known of back issues I'm sure the trade would never have been consumated.  As for chalking this up as a bad deal for what ever reason, there is no reason to believe that Jenks won't be back unless you have inside scources that say so, which I doubt you have. 
    Posted by Hetchinspete[/QUOTE]

I agree w/ you but the fact of the matter is, in 2012, Theo has left us w/ 51 million dollars of salary that will be worthless

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

In Response to Re: Jenks has a second procedure-More fragments taken from back- unlikely to be ready for the start of spring training-Who takes his place? : Sorry but I disagree in one aspect. This has nothing to do with Theo being Theo. At the time of the signing, although Jenks wasn't the same pitcher he had been earlier his numbers were still decent and it looked like he would be a good addition. You cannot forcast injuries like back problems unless they are present at the time of the trade. Had the Sox known of back issues I'm sure the trade would never have been consumated. As for chalking this up as a bad deal for what ever reason, there is no reason to believe that Jenks won't be back unless you have inside scources that say so, which I doubt you have.
    Posted by Hetchinspete

For some reason Andrew can't understand responses even when he says that he does. All injuries that occur after a signing , in his mind, must be attributed to the GM. There MUST be a scapegoat. If lightening hits a tree in his front yard then it was because the previous owner planted it there.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jenks has a second procedure-More fragments taken from back- unlikely to be ready for the start of spring training-Who takes his place? : Well, I trust your sixth sense man.  As long as you don't see dead people.  I am not writing Bobby off, but my concern is that this second procedure is gonna set back his ST progressions.  It seems to always be dodgy when a pitcher has to do an extended ST thing, and especially when the guy hasn't pitched in a long time.   As for the Dice-man, I am with you.  reports from NH appearance last month have him in great shape and raring to go.  I think pitching for Bobby V. is going to make a big difference for Daisuke.  Hopefully he is good to go by June. And if you're buying first round of brews, I'm buying shots. 
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

sounds like a plan. just as long as someone will help me get on the right train back up to boston............lol

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jenks has a second procedure-More fragments taken from back- unlikely to be ready for the start of spring training-Who takes his place? : sounds like a plan. just as long as someone will help me get on the right train back up to boston............lol

Fung Wah bus baby.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jb12bb. Show jb12bb's posts

What spot does he have or did he have during last season?

He is a non factor for this team unless he can get back healthy by the allstar break.  Guys like Bowden, Dubront, Melancon, and Acevas will have more of a factor to this team then Jenks will.  I have a feeling the RS will pick up another low cost middle reliever who can eat up innings in the sixth and seventh.  The team needs its starters to go deeper into games so the bullpen does not get warn out like last year.

Acevas' arm was going to fall off at the end of the season and that will not happen again this season.

Jenks looks to have lost weight, but anytime a humans back is required to be opended up it is usually not a good thing let alone twice.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In Response to Jenks has a second procedure-More fragments taken from back- unlikely to be ready for the start of spring training-Who takes his place?:
    [QUOTE]  Jenks has a second procedure
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

Who takes his place?

The Stay Puff Marshmellow Man.