Jenks.......what's the deal?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Jenks.......what's the deal?

Theo's strength is scouting and drafting - he could easily be any teams head of player development.  But GM?  Sure he'd be able to find another job as a GM w/ another team one day if he wanted but it ain't like all 30 teams are gonna be lined up for him - no way...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

In Response to Re: Jenks.......what's the deal?:
    [QUOTE]There is not one team in the major leagues who wouldn't hire Theo if he was free and they needed a GM. Many teams would jettison their current GM if Theo was available. Most owners are smarter and more savvy than anyone on this board, so I guess Theo doesn't have to worry about job security.
    Posted by mjnmjn[/QUOTE]

well, it better be a team that can afford to cover theo's many mistakes financially.
    like the SOX do.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jenks.......what's the deal? : well, it better be a team that can afford to cover theo's many mistakes financially. like the SOX do.
    Posted by the_yazzer[/QUOTE]

Out of your mind...as usual.  Theo was trained in the San Diego system.  He could perform in low budget system or high and adjust what he does accordingly.  If you think the same moves would be made in SD as in Boston, Philly, or NY you really are not paying attention all that much.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dstreet451. Show dstreet451's posts

Bottom line is that the fat porker Jenks needs to get in shape.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i would have to agree with the yazzer when it comes to theo's performance as a gm. Yes he is good at draft players(though i think that would be more because of their scout) but i will give him some credit for that. But when it comes to fa signings theo its one of the worst in baseball. All you have to do is look a the signings he has made. lackey, jenks, crawford, wheeler, lugo, clement, drew, cameron, penny, smoltz, renteria, scutaro, dice k, all were made by theo. Most recently his biggest mistake occured 2 offseasons ago when he signed john lackey over matt holliday. Huge mistake which lead to another huge mistake this past offseason in carl crawford. Now i am not saying crawford is a bad player by any means, but the problem i have with theo signing him is the cost and most of all how he fits into this team. He is a 1-2 hitter and is pretty much another jacoby ellsbury. What we need for LF was a right handed hitting middle of the order batt. Enter Matt Holliday. Holliday would have fit way better than crawford on this team. Having a player with crawfords skill set hitting 6th makes no sense. I understand why theo wanted him because he is good defensively and gets hits and steals bases, but you have to look at how the player fits on your team especially when signing a guy to a massive contract like the one crawford got.And if theo had done so he would have seen that clearly he was not a fit. Now there is talk of the sox being in on hunter pence.(which makes sense) So assuming we get pence, he would bat 6th after oritz which pushes crawford to the 7th spot. That is fine for the rest of this year as crawfords average is terrible. But come next year changes will have to be made. And if theo wants to right the ship he will have to trade ellsbury or let ortiz go and move pence and crawford up one spot and use the dh spot for someone like ryan lavarnway. The point i am trying to make is that the crawford signing has messed things up for the sox for years to come. And that signing came under theo epstiens watch. (as did many other poor signings)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Hint:  Read a newspaper ever?  There was much talk in the off season that if Theo could deal Paps he could then use Jenks as his closer.  Hence, the primary reason why Jenks was signed. 

Hint:  Did you miss the entire 2010 off season and regular season?  I guess you missed the entire debate of Cameron taking over CF from Jake.  I guess you missed it when Jake played LF on opening day too?  OK then.......

By the way, you have 20/20 vision for the obvious.  Bravo.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Hmm, guess the The Snake slithered on outta here and deleted the post that I replied to.  Oh well, that's slippery one for ya....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]Theo's strength is scouting and drafting - he could easily be any teams head of player development.  But GM?  Sure he'd be able to find another job as a GM w/ another team one day if he wanted but it ain't like all 30 teams are gonna be lined up for him - no way...
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

Theo will have to take a number behind andrewmitch and the yazzer. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

[QUOTE]WALL OF TEXT jesus christ ... The point i am trying to make is that the crawford signing has messed things up for the sox for years to come. And that signing came under theo epstiens watch. (as did many other poor signings)
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]

again, yeah, it sucks being in 1st place.  messed things up for years to come?  good for all the debbie downers in here.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]i would have to agree with the yazzer when it comes to theo's performance as a gm. Yes he is good at draft players(though i think that would be more because of their scout) but i will give him some credit for that. But when it comes to fa signings theo its one of the worst in baseball. All you have to do is look a the signings he has made. lackey, jenks, crawford, wheeler, lugo, clement, drew, cameron, penny, smoltz, renteria, scutaro, dice k, all were made by theo. Most recently his biggest mistake occured 2 offseasons ago when he signed john lackey over matt holliday. Huge mistake which lead to another huge mistake this past offseason in carl crawford. Now i am not saying crawford is a bad player by any means, but the problem i have with theo signing him is the cost and most of all how he fits into this team. He is a 1-2 hitter and is pretty much another jacoby ellsbury. What we need for LF was a right handed hitting middle of the order batt. Enter Matt Holliday. Holliday would have fit way better than crawford on this team. Having a player with crawfords skill set hitting 6th makes no sense. I understand why theo wanted him because he is good defensively and gets hits and steals bases, but you have to look at how the player fits on your team especially when signing a guy to a massive contract like the one crawford got.And if theo had done so he would have seen that clearly he was not a fit. Now there is talk of the sox being in on hunter pence.(which makes sense) So assuming we get pence, he would bat 6th after oritz which pushes crawford to the 7th spot. That is fine for the rest of this year as crawfords average is terrible. But come next year changes will have to be made. And if theo wants to right the ship he will have to trade ellsbury or let ortiz go and move pence and crawford up one spot and use the dh spot for someone like ryan lavarnway. The point i am trying to make is that the crawford signing has messed things up for the sox for years to come. And that signing came under theo epstiens watch. (as did many other poor signings)

Good thing the organization has you around with the blueprint the fix all the problems.  Thank the lord!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

Only Sox "fans"  - if that is, in fact, what AndrewMitch and the Yazzer are  - would be here today spewing venom about a GM whose team has won 14 out of 18 and is winning at .679 clip since a 2-10 start - that all with multiple injuries and key players ( Crawford, Drew) having career worst years -

Guys - the team is kicking butt - you can't roast Epstein for the mistakes he's made if you aren't going to give him credit for the good moves he's made - if you are intellectually honest that is - whoops, my mistake  - there I was bringing logic and reason to a name calling fest:)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

so, let me get this straight...Theo has help when it comes to drafting and scouting but, he signs free agents on his own with no input from others in the organization.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]so, let me get this straight...Theo has help when it comes to drafting and scouting but, he signs free agents on his own with no input from others in the organization.
    Posted by stillallbost08[/QUOTE]

Didn't you know that?  Come on.  Get with the program.  Theo is a lone wolf on the free agent front but everyone else handles the draft.  Classic how the Theo hater mind works!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

FYI, the Yazzer is the old Garcia2. Just enjoys stirring the pot.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jenks.......what's the deal? : Theo will have to take a number behind andrewmitch and the yazzer. 
    Posted by Sheriff-Rojas[/QUOTE]

hey sheriff, arrest that fool, that theo hoe. oh, that was you.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

[QUOTE]FYI, the Yazzer is the old Garcia2. Just enjoys stirring the pot.
    Posted by Your-Echo[/QUOTE]

"bubble, bubble, toil and trouble."

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maddog2020. Show maddog2020's posts

How bout J. Lowrie - what is the story with him. Has anybody heard anything??

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

started hitting off a tee 2 days ago

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

[QUOTE]i would have to agree with the yazzer when it comes to theo's performance as a gm. Yes he is good at draft players(though i think that would be more because of their scout) but i will give him some credit for that. But when it comes to fa signings theo its one of the worst in baseball. All you have to do is look a the signings he has made. lackey, jenks, crawford, wheeler, lugo, clement, drew, cameron, penny, smoltz, renteria, scutaro, dice k, all were made by theo. Most recently his biggest mistake occured 2 offseasons ago when he signed john lackey over matt holliday. Huge mistake which lead to another huge mistake this past offseason in carl crawford. Now i am not saying crawford is a bad player by any means, but the problem i have with theo signing him is the cost and most of all how he fits into this team. He is a 1-2 hitter and is pretty much another jacoby ellsbury. What we need for LF was a right handed hitting middle of the order batt. Enter Matt Holliday. Holliday would have fit way better than crawford on this team. Having a player with crawfords skill set hitting 6th makes no sense. I understand why theo wanted him because he is good defensively and gets hits and steals bases, but you have to look at how the player fits on your team especially when signing a guy to a massive contract like the one crawford got.And if theo had done so he would have seen that clearly he was not a fit. Now there is talk of the sox being in on hunter pence.(which makes sense) So assuming we get pence, he would bat 6th after oritz which pushes crawford to the 7th spot. That is fine for the rest of this year as crawfords average is terrible. But come next year changes will have to be made. And if theo wants to right the ship he will have to trade ellsbury or let ortiz go and move pence and crawford up one spot and use the dh spot for someone like ryan lavarnway. The point i am trying to make is that the crawford signing has messed things up for the sox for years to come. And that signing came under theo epstiens watch. (as did many other poor signings)

hey redsoxpride, there are others who feel as we do about the raccoon's mediocrity, but they are afraid to post because of the abusiveness of the THEO HOES.
    boy-genius, not!
    btw, calling theo the raccoon was in reference to the many blackeyes he has received over the years for his terrible free agent pick-ups.
    and, yes, crawford will be an albatross for years, much like drew.
    and let's not even talk about lackey.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from slowpokegrandpa. Show slowpokegrandpa's posts

andrew can u name 3 bonafide lefty relievers in baseball

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Fuentes

Affledt

Thornton

Oliver

J Lopez

Downs

Ohman

Venters

Choate

Breslow

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]Hint:  Read a newspaper ever?  There was much talk in the off season that if Theo could deal Paps he could then use Jenks as his closer.  Hence, the primary reason why Jenks was signed.  Hint:  Did you miss the entire 2010 off season and regular season?  I guess you missed the entire debate of Cameron taking over CF from Jake.  I guess you missed it when Jake played LF on opening day too?  OK then....... By the way, you have 20/20 vision for the obvious.  Bravo.
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]So because some guys who get paid to do what we do, which is speculate in type wrote something about it makes it a key objective of the RS when they signed Jenks?

And the speculation from what I could tell was never that Jenks was signed to replace Papelbon but rather that if he did well in 2011 it would have given the RS more options should Papelbon falter during the season or if he did not resign in FA.

At any rate, this is what can often be expected when you sign relief pitchers to long term, higher end contracts in FA. And the market took an unexpected twist when the Tigers cam out of the gates signing Benoit to a 3 year - $16.5M deal.

Now in RS it seems damned if you do, damned if you don't. The obvious and conservative tact to take with relievers is to go the route of guys like Hill, Aceves and Albers. Low risk signings. Anytime you sign a FA coming off of strong years you risk the likelihood of injury impairment and the lost effectiveness it brings. Signing Jenks put $12M at risk but it added an intriguing element if it worked.

The RS BP in 2010 was a disaster, with only Achinson really having any kind of success aside from Bard and Papelbon.  It was a risk worth taking that has not panned out so far.

Do keep in mind that many moaned about Wheeler as well and many still do because of his April-May start. But since returning from the DL in June Wheeler's WHIP is under 1.00 and that is all you can ask from relief pitchers.

Seems to me with the club 22 games over .500 that Jenks is simply providing serial moaners with something to moan about.

It's baseballl folks and GMs are going to make signings that don't workout. The more money and aggression their organization has the more often it can happen. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In Response to Re: Jenks.......what's the deal? : Theo will have to take a number behind andrewmitch and the yazzer. 
    Posted by Sheriff-Rojas

hey sheriff, arrest that fool, that theo hoe. oh, that was you.
    The-yazzoo

You're just jealous because I put you in line behind andrewmitch. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

It was fairly well documentated that Theo was trying to deal/replace Paps....not speculation.....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

just because sportswriters wrote something doesn't make it true.