Jerry Remy will return to the Red Sox broadcasting booth next season

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

Re: Jerry Remy will return to the Red Sox broadcasting booth next season

In response to miscricket's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to steven11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to 2013soxchamps' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'll never understand why players/announcers get beat up for wanting to make a living,  or look for more money and provide for their families. I'm sure all the whiners would say no thank you to a pay raise.

[/QUOTE]

Yup.

Evidently making money is a sin, according to some.

[/QUOTE]

no, I have no issue with anyone having side businesses, a name on a restaurant or what have you. I simply feel that Remy has gotten lazy, doesnt stay on top of the game and meanders, has failed to acknowledge anything to do with metrics, and still takes a point of view on playing the game from an 80's perspective. 

Give me Eck, Gabe Kapler, Sean Casey and many, many others over Remy. This is a prime gig covering the Sox, and we as fans deserve better

[/QUOTE]

I doubt anyone has an issue with Jerry making money.  I have been to Jerry's place in the seaport location many times and even since this has all happened.  From listening to Jerry this morning on weei, he will need to go back to work for the sox to pay for high price defense team for his son.

The bottom line for me is I think ECK is a better analyst. I respect the system we have and if John Henry thinks it is ok, I will still tune into every game.

[/QUOTE]

He has nearly come out and said his son is a murderer I don't think he is going to hire anyone like Hernendez has hired.

[/QUOTE]

I think the lawyers are already in place and the cost will not be as high as hernandez but it will be high.  Listening to the interview it sounds like Jerry is going for custody of his grandchild.  he said in the interview that three families are going for custody.  If he uses his money to get cutody over the victim's family, this will be another issue talked about.

[/QUOTE]

Shouldn't the grand child go where the child has the greatest oppertunity to succeed? Assuming the Remy's have more money than the Martells, the Remy's provide the greatest oppertunity.

Back to the main point. Why do you think Remy is supporting him? Jared Remy says he is innocent and Jerry Remy has said he is guilty. Why would he pay for thim to get off? Remy has said his son is going to jail for the rest of his life.

[/QUOTE]

Well..thank God courts don't make custody decisions based on who has the most money! Personnally I agree with the other posters who stated that Remy's track record with child rearing isn't exactly great. I hope custody goes to the Martell's without question.

I will also add that I feel like it is in poor taste for him to return so soon. I think NESN will see how it goes for a few days. I've heard comments on the radio and people seem split 50/50 ( at least the people who call into radio shows). I think if it's awkward or uncomfortable in any way Remy might be done.  I am sure there are still some people who enjoy Remy in the booth..but I was not one of them before this all happened. I think the commentary was better without him.

[/QUOTE]

do you have a link to prove the split was 50/50?

[/QUOTE]

Yikes! No..sorry. Most things in life don't have links as I am sure you know. Funny the things people ask for links for...lol. Whatever did we do before computers and the interwebs??

[/QUOTE]

Personally I don't ask for links unless someone is going to be bold enough to claim they have links.... the way I feel, don't put it on the table to begin with.

I get a chuckle when someone asks for links, then gets mad when someone else asks for links. Good grief.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I'll never understand why players/announcers get beat up for wanting to make a living,  or look for more money and provide for their families. I'm sure all the whiners would say no thank you to a pay raise.

Yup.

no, I have no issue with anyone having side businesses, a name on a restaurant or what have you. I simply feel that Remy has gotten lazy, doesnt stay on top of the game and meanders, has failed to acknowledge anything to do with metrics, and still takes a point of view on playing the game from an 80's perspective. 

Give me Eck, Gabe Kapler, Sean Casey and many, many others over Remy. This is a prime gig covering the Sox, and we as fans deserve better

[/QUOTE]

I doubt anyone has an issue with Jerry making money.  I have been to Jerry's place in the seaport location many times and even since this has all happened.  From listening to Jerry this morning on weei, he will need to go back to work for the sox to pay for high price defense team for his son.

The bottom line for me is I think ECK is a better analyst. I respect the system we have and if John Henry thinks it is ok, I will still tune into every game.

[/QUOTE]

He has nearly come out and said his son is a murderer I don't think he is going to hire anyone like Hernendez has hired.

[/QUOTE]

I think the lawyers are already in place and the cost will not be as high as hernandez but it will be high.  Listening to the interview it sounds like Jerry is going for custody of his grandchild.  he said in the interview that three families are going for custody.  If he uses his money to get cutody over the victim's family, this will be another issue talked about.

[/QUOTE]

Shouldn't the grand child go where the child has the greatest oppertunity to succeed? Assuming the Remy's have more money than the Martells, the Remy's provide the greatest oppertunity.

Back to the main point. Why do you think Remy is supporting him? Jared Remy says he is innocent and Jerry Remy has said he is guilty. Why would he pay for thim to get off? Remy has said his son is going to jail for the rest of his life.

[/QUOTE]

Well..thank God courts don't make custody decisions based on who has the most money! Personnally I agree with the other posters who stated that Remy's track record with child rearing isn't exactly great. I hope custody goes to the Martell's without question.

I will also add that I feel like it is in poor taste for him to return so soon. I think NESN will see how it goes for a few days. I've heard comments on the radio and people seem split 50/50 ( at least the people who call into radio shows). I think if it's awkward or uncomfortable in any way Remy might be done.  I am sure there are still some people who enjoy Remy in the booth..but I was not one of them before this all happened. I think the commentary was better without him.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yikes! No..sorry. Most things in life don't have links as I am sure you know. Funny the things people ask for links for...lol. Whatever did we do before computers and the interwebs??

[/QUOTE]

I am glad you got my joke.  Getting out and asking questions face to face is still the best marketing research.

[/QUOTE]

I've got a link.

From your own idols, D&C.

This is the link to the Remy interview:

http://audio.weei.com/a/86621630/jerry-remy-on-his-decision-to-return-to-the-booth.htm

John Dennis at 14:55 into the inrerview"

"I wish you could see the support you have, coming through the text line"

That doesn't sound like 50/50.

Jerry Callahan at 16:10: "They're (the naysayers) are outnumbered".

Get out there and get that polling done!

Make sure you get a large enough sample size to make it valid.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Yup.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I am glad you got my joke.  Getting out and asking questions face to face is still the best marketing research.

[/QUOTE]

I've got a link.

http://audio.weei.com/a/86621630/jerry-remy-on-his-decision-to-return-to-the-booth.htm

[/QUOTE]

Is he making up stories again? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Is he making up stories again? 

[/QUOTE]

Still...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ampoule's comment:

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

[QUOTE]

I'm happy for Remy as he has had a rough year but I feel sorry for myself as I find him increasingly bland. I like my color guys with more of an edge.

Yes, Remy has had it tough.  But, so has Orsillo for having to act like everything is normal in the booth with him potentially affecting his career.  And how about the dead girl's family?  I think they have it pretty rough too....and no healthy six-figure income to go back to and read about how 'poor' Jerry Remy has blown all the money he made and needs to go back to work to help defend his creepo, steroid-taking, loser son.

I say to Jerry Remy to cut the umbilical cord and let the drug user take responsibility for his own actions and not depend on mommy or daddy to pay his bills.

[/QUOTE]

Amp, last I heard, initially he had a public defender. That may have changed, but I haven't heard anything about a high priced defense lawyer. Honestly there's not much, if any, defense, and MA doesnt have the death penalty, so there's little to no reason, to have one. As Remy said, this isn't a case of trying to get away with murder. Just needs to to protect his constitutional rights, so the verdict is upheld. 

[/QUOTE]

All anyone has to do is google, lawyers for jared remy, to see what is going on.  Jared is not going away peacefully as Jerry says.  Jared's lawyers are already trying to block motions by the prosecution.  If they go the insanity route, that is going to be a long and expensive trial.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

[QUOTE]

I'm happy for Remy as he has had a rough year but I feel sorry for myself as I find him increasingly bland. I like my color guys with more of an edge.

Yes, Remy has had it tough.  But, so has Orsillo for having to act like everything is normal in the booth with him potentially affecting his career.  And how about the dead girl's family?  I think they have it pretty rough too....and no healthy six-figure income to go back to and read about how 'poor' Jerry Remy has blown all the money he made and needs to go back to work to help defend his creepo, steroid-taking, loser son.

I say to Jerry Remy to cut the umbilical cord and let the drug user take responsibility for his own actions and not depend on mommy or daddy to pay his bills.

[/QUOTE]

Amp, last I heard, initially he had a public defender. That may have changed, but I haven't heard anything about a high priced defense lawyer. Honestly there's not much, if any, defense, and MA doesnt have the death penalty, so there's little to no reason, to have one. As Remy said, this isn't a case of trying to get away with murder. Just needs to to protect his constitutional rights, so the verdict is upheld. 

[/QUOTE]

All anyone has to do is google, lawyers for jared remy, to see what is going on.  Jared is not going away peacefully as Jerry says.  Jared's lawyers are already trying to block motions by the prosecution.  If they go the insanity route, that is going to be a long and expensive trial.

[/QUOTE]

When did Remy say that?

It wasn't during his interview.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to JoseLaguna's comment:

I lost track here. What is the topic of the argument clinic? Are we debating how rich Jerry is?  Are we debating why he wants to go back to work? Fill me in.

If your child commits a horrible crime, it's in poor form to want to go back to work, particularly if you're rich.

Also, if your parents have money, your constitutional right to a defense is null and void.

I think that about covers it...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

[QUOTE]

I lost track here. What is the topic of the argument clinic? Are we debating how rich Jerry is?  Are we debating why he wants to go back to work? Fill me in.

[/QUOTE]

Question for the class.... would you go back to work?

Of course you would, you still need to support your family and yourself. Like Jerry said in the interview, he couldn't ask his bosses for year off.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If your child commits a horrible crime, it's in poor form to want to go back to work, particularly if your rich.

Also, if your parents have money, your constitutional right to a defense is null and void.

I think that about covers it...

[/QUOTE]

Are you saying that the mother of the Chism boy who killed the schoolteacher shouldn't go back to work? Aren't there thousands of people in that situation who went back to work. Of course, this is you OPINION and you are entitled to it.

Everyone has a constitutional right to a defense. My guess is that the obvious defense will be temporary insanity or insanity. Not much news here.

[/QUOTE]

Yup, there are thousands of parents in the same boat.

I guess we should amend that to say one shouldn't go back to work in the public eye, so as not to offend our delicate sensiblities.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

if it's truly what he wants and is ready..everyone should support it

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

i am putting the over/under of his latest comeback at 30 games.

knife to my belly i would take the under......

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i am putting the over/under of his latest comeback at 30 games.

knife to my belly i would take the under......

[/QUOTE]

That wouldn't surprise me, slasher.

It's going to be tough.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Question for the class.... would you go back to work?

Of course you would, you still need to support your family and yourself. Like Jerry said in the interview, he couldn't ask his bosses for year off.

[/QUOTE]

I see your point about needing to work. I doubt I would compare the mother of the Chism boy to Jerry Remy. I doubt she is in the public eye. I tend to feel more empathy for the victims in situations like this. If I am a member of the Martell family...how do you watch a Red Sox game on TV without being reminded of her killer?

It's not that I don't have sympathy for the criminal's family either. I am friends with a girl who was chased down by the media for months after the Sandyhook shootings so I understand fully what that side of it is like.

I just don't think Jerry Remy should be back in the booth this season. I think it is too soon after this tragedy.  I am not sure why 4b's cannot respect opposing opinions. After all..this place would be pretty boring if all we all did was agree with everything.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Yup.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I've got a link.

[/QUOTE]

Why do you have such trouble with disagreement? It doesn't matter to me if we disagree. I respect that you have a differing opinion. Why can't you do the same? Not everything in life boils down to a link or a stat. 

I don't listen to WEEI so I can't comment on your link.( and I sure as heck don't listen to Dennis& CAllahan!!!) I listen to 98.5 and during the times that I have heard conversations about Remy the callers have been pretty split. Why do you have a hard time with that? Shall I then quantify the comments all over my FB timeline or my Twitter feed that also seem split? People are generally divided over this issue. Why is that a problem? Heck...even in my own house we are split.  Three people with three different opinions.
     Why can't you just respect differing opinions like everyone else in this forum seems able to do?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

The whole, to me, the entire non-issue of Remy's future announcing career makes me feel sick.  I was a fan of his as a player, but his announcing skills do nothing for me.

What does the alleged behaviour of a family member of his have to do with his professional career?

If, as a public figure, that alleged behaviour causes stress for him that's for him to deal with.  It's nobody else's business.  He deserves to be 100% supported as a public figure, and 100% supported as a traumatised (allegedly) parent.  Period.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I

[/QUOTE]

I've got a link.

[/QUOTE]

Why do you have such trouble with disagreement? It doesn't matter to me if we disagree. I respect that you have a differing opinion. Why can't you do the same? Not everything in life boils down to a link or a stat. 

I don't listen to WEEI so I can't comment on your link.( and I sure as heck don't listen to Dennis& CAllahan!!!) I listen to 98.5 and during the times that I have heard conversations about Remy the callers have been pretty split. Why do you have a hard time with that? Shall I then quantify the comments all over my FB timeline or my Twitter feed that also seem split? People are generally divided over this issue. Why is that a problem? Heck...even in my own house we are split.  Three people with three different opinions.
     Why can't you just respect differing opinions like everyone else in this forum seems able to do?

[/QUOTE]

My post wasn't directed at you, so I really don't give a rat's azz what station you listen to.

Sure, folks are entitled to their opinion.

But, it's the people that use statements like "and most fans feel that way", because they heard a few sport talk dopes agree with them, that annoy me.

Just have confidence in your opinion, without relying on half-assed "surveys" to make you appear like you've got your finger on the pulse of the fan base.

BTW, nice to know that at least half your family isn't moralizing and judgemental.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

The whole, to me, the entire non-issue of Remy's future announcing career makes me feel sick.  I was a fan of his as a player, but his announcing skills do nothing for me.

What does the alleged behaviour of a family member of his have to do with his professional career?

If, as a public figure, that alleged behaviour causes stress for him that's for him to deal with.  It's nobody else's business.  He deserves to be 100% supported as a public figure, and 100% supported as a traumatised (allegedly) parent.  Period.

[/QUOTE]

Finally, someone who can admit they don't care for the job the guy does, without using the tragedy his son caused as a reason to run him off the air.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

Hi Cricket:

Normally I lsten to 98.5 but have been drawn back to weei.  I am amazed on how much time during superbowl week the station has given to Remy. I listened to the interview and I am glad someone is putting stock into the callahan question.

Callahan was as polite as could be and it sounded like Minehan was told to be quiet.  Before the interview there were 4 or 5 callers against Remy coming back.  I could see Callahan getting upset and he blurted out that the callers were split over whether Remy should return or not.  Minehan took his time and in typical fashion agreed but had the look that he thought Callahan was wrong.

To get a chance at earning his contract, Remy has to return and The Sox have to allow it.  Time will tell whether or not Remy will be a hit with the fans another season.

Again, I am glad some are putting faith in what callahan says because it was he who said Remy found his kid a high priced lawyer.  His kid is now on at least his third lawyer.

Turns out that Jennifer martel's dad is a huge Red Sox fan and has said it will  not be easy listening to Remy.  I am thinking that the sox should think about this before putting Remy back in the booth.

And the call from Remy's wife to Martel urging her not to renew the restraining order against her son, was reported by  the herald, globe, necn and others. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I read this last night..and I thought this was a great summation of how Remy's return is going to play out.

FTR..I have been very clear that I keep the my feelings for Remy's booth skills separate from this incident. I am not using the tragedy as an excuse to run him off because I don't like his skills. That is just an insane accusation on the face of it.

The reality is that ..as this opinion piece below suggests is that it's not just Remy in the booth with Orsillo...it's Remy, this tragedy and his son in the booth..at least that is what the public perception is likely to be.

What remains is how it plays. How comfortable or uncomfortable people seem laughing it up at Remy's schtick. After all..for much of the public when they see Remy on TV it's going to remind them of this murder. Just a fact no matter how unfair. The question is how long it continues.

http://www.boston.com/sports/blogs/obnoxiousbostonfan/2014/01/red_sox_fans_will_have_final_say_on_jerry_remy.html

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]

Hi Cricket:

Normally I lsten to 98.5 but have been drawn back to weei.  I am amazed on how much time during superbowl week the station has given to Remy. I listened to the interview and I am glad someone is putting stock into the callahan question.

Callahan was as polite as could be and it sounded like Minehan was told to be quiet.  Before the interview there were 4 or 5 callers against Remy coming back.  I could see Callahan getting upset and he blurted out that the callers were split over whether Remy should return or not.  Minehan took his time and in typical fashion agreed but had the look that he thought Callahan was wrong.

To get a chance at earning his contract, Remy has to return and The Sox have to allow it.  Time will tell whether or Remy will be a hit with the fans another season.

Again, I am glad some are putting faith in what callahan says because it was he who said Remy found his kid a high priced lawyer.  His kid is now on at least his third lawyer.

Turns out that Jennifer martel's dad is a huge Red Sox fan and has said it will  not be easy listening to Remy.  I am thinking that the sox should think about this before putting Remy back in the booth.

And the call from Remy's wife to Martel urging her not to renew the restraining order against her son, was reported by  the herald, globe, necn and others. 

[/QUOTE]

...and that above statement is to me one of the key reasons why I think it is just too soon for him to come back. It is amazing the sympathy and expectation from some that Remy "deserves the public's support...etc". It seems when sports are concerned people forget that there are real victims here. I am guessing those people who expect me to support Remy 100 percent and to celebrate his return have no idea what it is like to lose a child.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

I read up on Jared Remy and he was no boy scout before this.  The Sox did Jerry a favor and employed his kid as a security guard.  Jarod was fired for using roids and was accused of selling roids to another employee by that employee.  Remy was also linked and disciplined for missing championship jackets.  jared was asked by the sox if he ever sold roids to the players and he answered no.

This guy has been arrested several times for hitting women.  Yes, there will be lots of emotional garbage in the booth with Remy.

Possibly when Jerry figured out that his kid was on roids, shutting off the atm card he supplied, would have been a good start.  Instead he kept paying the bills and enabled his kid.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeftyGrove. Show LeftyGrove's posts

[QUOTE]

Doesn't anyone feeling bad for Orsillo having to act like nothing ever happened with Remy sitting there...joking, telling stories etc.??  I think Remy is screwing up Orsillo's career.

Remy needs money??  What did he do with the money he made while playing and then broadcasting?

It was a BIG, selfish act for Remy to return.  It was the perfect opportunity to retire without having to prove anything to himself.

If I was Orsillo, I'd be pizzed.  Who could blame him?

[/QUOTE]

Again, to my earlier post, Jerry did not commit the crime. Perhaps we are projecting our feelings on Don Orsillo.  I see this as Don getting back in the booth with his partner, again, a man who did not commit a crime. Yes, the situation with his son involves a murder, a child deprived of a parent, but how could Don hold that against Jerry?  I don't think he would, I believe he is far more professional and compassionate.

To say he would feel otherwise, in my own projection, would be to admit to being very shallow.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

I think in the end, Jerry is going to come to the realization that this is not a good move. Once the trial starts, etc....it will no doubt take a toll on his own health. I think once him and Don are in the box together, we'll be able to get a vibe on how the season will play out with them.

I'm not going to cast judgement on Jerry or his wife for that matter, those of us that are parents know how hard and difficult it can be at times when raising kids. I've been fortunate and have never had to deal with anything more that teenage angst. I could never for one second immagine what the Martels and Remys are going through. I also know that going through tough times in my life, the best way to occupy the mind and keep sane was to keep busy. I'd imagine this is one of the main drives behind Jerrys return.

I know there is a victim in all this, I don't for a second forget that there is a child that has been robbed of her beautiful mother. This child is going to need a lot of love and financial stability to help her in the future. I'm sure the Remys plan on providing for the child, helping her through college etc down the line.

I'm not in any of their shoes, so to pretend that I am would be foolhardy.