Jerry Sands

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Jerry Sands

What's the consensus on what we might have in this guy? He's not that old, but doesn't seem to be generating much hype. I keep hearing that his numbers have been inflated from playing in Albuqurque of the PCL, but I'm having a hard time seeing that when he's hit for power and average with a high OPS at every level (unless the entire Dodgers farm system inflated his stats...I'm not too familiar with their minor league affiliates).

Now I'm not suggesting that he'll replicate those stats in the major leagues, but is it possible we might have a potential 25 or 30 home run hitting 1B or LF on our hands? Or is he more likely a bench player or a Chris Carter type who puts up good minor league numbers but will never make it in MLB?

Personally I'm glad to have gotten anything of remote value out of the AGon/Beckett/Crawford trade, much less a couple of decent pitching prospects like De La Rosa and Webster, so whatever Sands provides is just like icing on the cake. But with it looking pretty likely that we'll enter next season with a couple of corner positions up in the air, I'd like to see him get a chance to make the team out of spring training at the very least. Just wondering what everyone thought of his chances of being a contributor in 2013 and going forward.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: Jerry Sands

Many scouts say he's potential 30 HR guy in the Major.  In near future, we could see 80 HRs 80 SBs just from our 3 OFers with Sands at LF, JBJ at CF, and Bretnz at RF. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Actually since both Sands, and Rubby DLR  were blocked by other teams and BenC who knows his former Draft Day  players---I would lend credibility to both these guys being pretty fair selections. Add Webster perhaps for late next year or '14 ---I would say the Sox did well.

It would be nice to have the potential of Sands at 1 B or in the LF to go with Brooksie @ 3 B in addition to Ortiz and Ross---it could be a fun year to look forward to along with a manager that just manages.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Same profile as Brentz and Middlebrooks. Lots of HR potential along with a few extra K's and solid defense. Decent average (.280ish) and OBP(.350ish)... He should be fighting for a corner OF position in ST 2013 along with Brentz.

Not enough MLB time to say whether his big ML numbers will translate, but the potential is definitely there...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Initially I though Sands was the best of the lot from the trade, but if you look at the Isotopes team stats, everybody has an OPS of .900, so that took a little wind out of my sails.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Jerry Sands and Seattle outfielder Trayvon Robinson, who were born the same month, were teammates on the 2011 Albuquerque Isotopes. Here are their Albuquerque numbers for 2011:

JS 11 ALB 418 PA, .278/.344/.586/.931, 78 R, 29 HR, 88 RBI, 3 SB

TR 11 ALB 416 PA, .293/.375/.563/.938, 70 R, 26 HR, 71 RBI, 8 SB

Robinson spent most of this season in the less hitter-friendly confines of Cheney Stadium in Tacoma while Sands remained in Albuquerque. Here are their 2012 PCL numbers:

JS 12 ALB 522 PA, .296/.375/.524/.900, 84 R, 26 HR, 107 RBI, 1 SB

TR 12 TAC 381 PA, .265/.331/.409/.740, 50 R, 9 HR, 41 RBI, 19 SB

The numbers suggest that Sands and Robinson were aided by the hitter's environment in Albuquerque.

John Sickels of Minor League Ball ranked Sands and Robinson No. 2 and No. 3 in his 2011 preseason prospect outlook for the Dodgers:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2010/12/30/1904866/los-angeles-dodgers-top-20-prospects-for-2011

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Typical softy for determining what prospects will be nothing better than "journeymen". softy has admitted that he doesn't even watch the games or "need to watch them" to know all he knows. I seriously doubt he watches or follows any minor league ball either.

He wrote off Middlebrooks the same way last winter, now denies it, and will deny these statements about Brentz & Sands should they one day strike it big.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In fact, senile old man, I said that Middlebrooks should start the season as the starting 3B'men.

Lie.

I've seen Bogaerts a bunch of times, old man.

Bigger lie.

Watching baseball on TV qualifies you to offer Wakefield a million for 2012, and nothing else.

Obsession.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying Sands will be good, but I don't write off every player because they had great numbers in the PCL. I don't right off Brentz because he is not the great defensive CF'er Bradley is.

BTW, I watch a lot of baseball live. I ahve seen more Sox road games than you have seen total live Sox games.

Are you now denying that you said you "don't watch or need to watch the games"?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Truce

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Sands is projected as a bench player right now...Hes got a lot of holes in his swing and can easily be fooled with offspeed stuff. Defense is average. He may be a late bloomer and put it all together at pawtucket in 2013. The potential is def there, but still needs work.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sands is projected as a bench player right now...Hes got a lot of holes in his swing and can easily be fooled with offspeed stuff. Defense is average. He may be a late bloomer and put it all together at pawtucket in 2013. The potential is def there, but still needs work.

[/QUOTE]

Reading all the stuff here about Sands ... and then as I read your post, a name came to mind out of no where.

Boog Powell.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What's the consensus on what we might have in this guy? He's not that old, but doesn't seem to be generating much hype. I keep hearing that his numbers have been inflated from playing in Albuqurque of the PCL, but I'm having a hard time seeing that when he's hit for power and average with a high OPS at every level (unless the entire Dodgers farm system inflated his stats...I'm not too familiar with their minor league affiliates).

Now I'm not suggesting that he'll replicate those stats in the major leagues, but is it possible we might have a potential 25 or 30 home run hitting 1B or LF on our hands? Or is he more likely a bench player or a Chris Carter type who puts up good minor league numbers but will never make it in MLB?

Personally I'm glad to have gotten anything of remote value out of the AGon/Beckett/Crawford trade, much less a couple of decent pitching prospects like De La Rosa and Webster, so whatever Sands provides is just like icing on the cake. But with it looking pretty likely that we'll enter next season with a couple of corner positions up in the air, I'd like to see him get a chance to make the team out of spring training at the very least. Just wondering what everyone thought of his chances of being a contributor in 2013 and going forward.

Keep in mind he played in Albuquerque, which is a banbox. Throw in the light air and you have inflated hitting stats.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

By now, most of you know I'm a Southern Californian and hope I don't have to prefice my remarks by saying this anymore.  Jerry Sands would be a lot better had the Dodgers not jerked him around as the Red Sox did with Ryan Kalish after his surprisingly solid performance when he was called up in the middle of the 2010 season.  Sending him down to the minors and keeping Drew because of salary turned out to be a tragedy because all of us except the idiotic Boston front office knew  that candy a@s Drew was one hangnail from a long stint on the DL.  It happened and then Kalish got hurt and is still recovering from those neck and shoulder injuries.  What's this to do with Sands?

Same thing, different team.....and the culprit was James Loneybaloney.  The Dodgers couldn't bring themselves to let Sands play first base in 2010 for an extended period because they kept thinking baloney would start hitting with power.  He didn't and now if Cherington is stupid enough to resign him (a possibility with that moron)  Sands could be blocked again.  He has the power  to become a solid 20-25 homer man IF GIVEN THE CHANCE.  Let me put this way----he may or may not work out but he is worth a try and he is a helluva better choice for us than Loney or DeJesus, two duds who have no business being on the team after this year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Just because someone played in a "bandbox", doesn't mean he can never be a great ML hitter. It just makes it harder to judge and project.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to seabeachfred's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"jerked him around as the Red Sox did with Ryan Kalish after his surprisingly solid performance when he was called up in the middle of the 2010 season."

Fred.....I'm not sure I'm with you on this one.  Kalish was called up in 2010,  he delivered a pedestrian (at best) performance in a third of a season (.710 OPS) then suffered a series of injuries that kept him out of baseball for over a full season.  Healthy again, he's had another chance this year and...he's been far worse (.532 OPS over 1/6 of a season).

How have the Sox "jerk(ed) him around"?  I'd say they've stuck by him very loyaly!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to seabeachfred's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"jerked him around as the Red Sox did with Ryan Kalish after his surprisingly solid performance when he was called up in the middle of the 2010 season."

Fred.....I'm not sure I'm with you on this one.  Kalish was called up in 2010,  he delivered a pedestrian (at best) performance in a third of a season (.710 OPS) then suffered a series of injuries that kept him out of baseball for over a full season.  Healthy again, he's had another chance this year and...he's been far worse (.532 OPS over 1/6 of a season).

How have the Sox "jerk(ed) him around"?  I'd say they've stuck by him very loyaly!

Kalish was only 22 in 2010 and started the year in AA.  I wouldn't say he was "pedestrian" in 2010.  I would say he showed enormous promise.  I agree with the rest of your post.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

That's fair, Snake....i.e. a .710 OPS over 200-ish PAs from a 22-year old is quality and promising, not "pedestrian"....it was the "non-supportive ("jerked around")" comment I (over) reacted to.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

That's fair, Snake....i.e. a .710 OPS over 200-ish PAs from a 22-year old is quality and promising, not "pedestrian"....it was the "non-supportive ("jerked around")" comment I (over) reacted to.

[/QUOTE]

He's had some injuries, so he's had some inconsistent playing time.  I was quite pleased with the .710, since he played some CF.  He's regressed some, probably due to the injuries, but if I were the RS, I'd be playing him everyday.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I also wouldn't write off Sands.  I wouldn't expect him to be a starter, but he could be useful off the bench.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Typical softy for determining what prospects will be nothing better than "journeymen". softy has admitted that he doesn't even watch the games or "need to watch them" to know all he knows. I seriously doubt he watches or follows any minor league ball either.

He wrote off Middlebrooks the same way last winter, now denies it, and will deny these statements about Brentz & Sands should they one day strike it big.

Moon I agree. Trotter with his usual lack of knowledge foolish negative comments based on nothing more than his own hot air. I'm not saying Sands is the next coming of Ted Williams but his minor league stats are pretty decent albeit in a hitter freindly park, but since when is a young player at 24 considered to be a journeyman. So much stupidity by Trotter !! 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

There will probably be a lot of players fighting for a job in ST:

(assuming no acquisitions at these positions)

C: Salty & Lava

1B: Gomez, Sands (Salty? Papi?)

SS: Iggy, Ciriaco, Aviles, DeJesus (Bogaerts?)

LF: Sands, Nava, Linares, Brentz, Kalish

RF: Sweeney, Brentz, Kalish, Bradley, Lin

DH: Lava, Sands, Gomez, Nava (Papi?)

SP: Morales, Mortensen, Tazawa, Webster, de la Rosa, Stewart, Wright, Britton

RP: (Above starters who do not make rotation)Atchison,  Bard, Melancon, Hill, Carpenter, Beato, Wilson, Pimental 

Sections
Shortcuts