jerry THORNTON:"Papi is easily the GREATEST red sox ever!"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ImagydSportsBos. Show ImagydSportsBos's posts

jerry THORNTON:"Papi is easily the GREATEST red sox ever!"

heard this on eei yesterday on the dale and holley archive. dale said second or third.. may put yaz ahead of him. holley said he was back and forth, could see both sides. thornton made his case. held williams war years against him and his lack of a ring. also said t-will would have been a DH had their been that option for he wasnt a good defender. in fact Papi plays a better first than wills played left. told story of wills working on his hitting regularly while out in left. felt had wills hit 700 HRS (likely had he not gone to war) or hung around for 715, he may feel differently. but with those 3 rings and style, no way no how can anyone b ahead of the papi! 

after watching that 3-run blast, who can really not concur? clutch.. the bigger the moment more likely to carry u on ur back. yanks lost to orioes, papi aint lettin that happpen as we prep to smack some some jabrees!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthomas43. Show mthomas43's posts

Re: jerry THORNTON:

Teddy Ball Game, no contest

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Strong argument always for Ted W., but when you factor in that Papi has now lead us to 3 WS????

THERE IS A VERY STRONG AND CONVINCING ARGUMENT THAT IT IS PAPI WHO GETS THE NOD ON THE GREATEST RED SOX PLAYER OF ALL TIME!  

Currently reading the tall tale of John Henry with my students.  The difference?  Papi's story with the Red Sox would have much more of a basis in fact.  I n fact, it might be hard to build the legend bigger than the real man, & his real accomplishments.

Having said that.....  given what TW did for this country in WW2, he should never lose his place amongst the 2 greatest Red Sox players ever to wear the uniform!

:)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ImagydSportsBos. Show ImagydSportsBos's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

Strong argument always for Ted W., but when you factor in that Papi has now lead us to 3 WS????

THERE IS A VERY STRONG AND CONVINCING ARGUMENT THAT IT IS PAPI WHO GETS THE NOD ON THE GREATEST RED SOX PLAYER OF ALL TIME!  

Currently reading the tall tale of John Henry with my students.  The difference?  Papi's story with the Red Sox would have much more of a basis in fact.  I n fact, it might be hard to build the legend bigger than the real man, & his real accomplishments.

Having said that.....  given what TW did for this country in WW2, he should never lose his place amongst the 2 greatest Red Sox players ever to wear the uniform!

lol, what papi did with his mouth after the marathon attack may be greater than anything williams did as an athletic "coach" in ww2!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to ImagydSportsBos' comment:

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

lol, what papi did with his mouth after the marathon attack may be greater than anything williams did as an athletic "coach" in ww2!

I suppose one could argue that his service in WW2 was not as "dangerous" as his service in the Korean War, but I certainly would never downplay it in any way.

Hell of a lot more sacrifice than 95+%  of Americans will ever give.

I do appreciate the humor though

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Ted's numbers will never allow him to be replaced as the best Red Sox player ever.

Papi has earned his rings and should be revered forever, and may some day enter the Hall of Fame.  But, it was not Ted's fault that he was on teams that featured guys like Don Buddin, Dick Gernett and terrible pitching staffs for so much of  his career.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

David Ortiz is the greatest Red Sox player.  ever.

how many clutch hits & WS does he have to win to prove it?  for me it was the 3rd ring that put him in front of Mr. Williams.  and trust me...i love the splinter.  hence the 9 in my handle.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Ted

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Actually, Ted greatest Red Sox baseball player. Papi greatest Red Sox team player Make any sense?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

When Papi hits 400( as did TW) then he gets No1 spot, but until then, it's TW hands down.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

There's no right answer, but I would have loved to have seen them batting 3 and 4 in the SOX line-up.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to billge's comment:

Actually, Ted greatest Red Sox baseball player. Papi greatest Red Sox team player Make any sense?

absolutely.  and i would agree.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to Ken1935's comment:

When Papi hits 400( as did TW) then he gets No1 spot, but until then, it's TW hands down.

no rings on those hands....

not a chance TW hits .400 in this day and age.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Actually, I should have said there's no WRONG answer.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

In response to Ken1935's comment:

no rings on those hands....

not a chance TW hits .400 in this day and age.

Rings have to lot to do with other talent around a player and strength of competition.  While it's true TW would have a tough time hitting .400 today, he'd still put up big numbers.  Then again, let's not forget Papi, as great as he has been as a DH, that's what he is - little or no contribution on the field!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Endspeed. Show Endspeed's posts

Actually, I believe the greatest Red Sox ever was Babe Ruth. He had the rings, the ERA and offensive stats. But he WAS a Red Sox player so let's not ever lose sight of that. I always thought in 2004, the Curse of the Bambino did not end. It was just that the Idiots were more the kind of guys the Babe liked, than the briefcase Yankees! So Babe flipped on his allegiance and the Yankees haven't smelled a championship since.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Endspeed. Show Endspeed's posts

Also, the hottest, carry the team on your back, absolutely insanely hot streak one season I have ever seen was vintage 1967 Yastrzemski. He was absolutely clutch and that team had a pitching staff held together with bubble gum and baling wire. Captain Carl had the best season ever by a major league player is my belief.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Endspeed. Show Endspeed's posts

Big Papi is great, don't get me wrong, but when you talk about the heights of being the greatest ever, the air gets mighty thin up there. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Endspeed's comment:

Actually, I believe the greatest Red Sox ever was Babe Ruth. He had the rings, the ERA and offensive stats. But he WAS a Red Sox player so let's not ever lose sight of that. I always thought in 2004, the Curse of the Bambino did not end. It was just that the Idiots were more the kind of guys the Babe liked, than the briefcase Yankees! So Babe flipped on his allegiance and the Yankees haven't smelled a championship since.

Watch out for the stampede of Yankees fans that will feel the need to remind you of 2009.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Endspeed. Show Endspeed's posts

One last  post, Ted Williams was a fighter pilot who came back with bullet holes in his jet. His commanding officer in Korea was none other than John Glenn the astronaut. He was not given cushy coaching assignments in the wars. Being a marine pilot is not for the faint of heart and John Glenn has said Ted was an excellent pilot. If memory serves me correctly I believe the term Glenn used to describe Williams was the best pilot he commanded. Enough about that.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to Endspeed's comment:

One last  post, Ted Williams was a fighter pilot who came back with bullet holes in his jet. His commanding officer in Korea was none other than John Glenn the astronaut. He was not given cushy coaching assignments in the wars. Being a marine pilot is not for the faint of heart and John Glenn has said Ted was an excellent pilot. If memory serves me correctly I believe the term Glenn used to describe Williams was the best pilot he commanded. Enough about that.

Actually Glenn said that Ted was the best wingman he ever flew with.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Endspeed. Show Endspeed's posts

Oops, you are correct sir. I was living outside the US in 2009 and missed the Yankees championship. I stand corrected. But the greatest player bar none considering pitching, hitting and championships with both the Red Sox and the Yankees was Babe Ruth.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

In response to billge's comment:

absolutely.  and i would agree.

I do too! however, I will state for the record that Big Pappi is the GREATEST clutch hitter that our club has ever had. no arguments can be made. ya want proof? how bout last nite.

nuff said

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Ortiz is the greatest hitter I have ever seen but I only go back to the days of Rice and Brett.

Ortiz is perhaps the MOST IMPORTANT Red Sox player ever.

He is one of the best Red Sox, but not the best.  I mean, statistically speaking Williams was the best hitter of all time so right there you'd have to go w/ TW. 

I would say bottom line he is not the best Sox ever but he is a Hall of Famer and again, the best hitter I have ever seen and perhaps the "MOST IMPORTANT" Red Sox player ever.

And PS - yankees could have all the "core four's" they want.  All we need is Ortiz and he is better than anything the yankees had this era.........jeter may be the captain of the yankees (who are once again baseball's laughing stocks mind you) but Ortiz, he's Captain of All of Baseball.  Period.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

Ortiz is the greatest hitter I have ever seen but I only go back to the days of Rice and Brett.

Ortiz is perhaps the MOST IMPORTANT Red Sox player ever.

He is one of the best Red Sox, but not the best.  I mean, statistically speaking Williams was the best hitter of all time so right there you'd have to go w/ TW. 

I would say bottom line he is not the best Sox ever but he is a Hall of Famer and again, the best hitter I have ever seen and perhaps the "MOST IMPORTANT" Red Sox player ever.

This is a good way of distinguishing the matter, I think. In terms of statistics and pure talent, I don't think you can beat Williams...but with Ortiz's three rings and postseason heroics, I think you'd be hard-pressed to argue that he's not the most consequential player in Red Sox history (certainly post-1918).

Sections
Shortcuts