jerry THORNTON:"Papi is easily the GREATEST red sox ever!"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: jerry THORNTON:

In response to Tomhab's comment:

In response to RSPCB73's comment:

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

In response to ImagydSportsBos' comment:

heard this on eei yesterday on the dale and holley archive. dale said second or third.. may put yaz ahead of him. holley said he was back and forth, could see both sides. thornton made his case. held williams war years against him and his lack of a ring. also said t-will would have been a DH had their been that option for he wasnt a good defender. in fact Papi plays a better first than wills played left. told story of wills working on his hitting regularly while out in left. felt had wills hit 700 HRS (likely had he not gone to war) or hung around for 715, he may feel differently. but with those 3 rings and style, no way no how can anyone b ahead of the papi! 

after watching that 3-run blast, who can really not concur? clutch.. the bigger the moment more likely to carry u on ur back. yanks lost to orioes, papi aint lettin that happpen as we prep to smack some some jabrees!

No one even remotely close to TW; NOT EVEN CLOSE!

Agree.  Add to that the fact that TW played the outfield more than adequately.  Can't say that about Ortiz for any position on the field. He has been principally a DH.

If you want to compare eras just look at what players did in comparision with other players of their time.  Babe Ruth, hit more Home Runs per year than some whole Teams hit in his era, he also pitched and played the field when he wasn't pitching.  Oh and Babe was hitting a ball that was rawhide filled with sand and sawdust not superballs...  As for Teddy Baseball, no one has every hit .400 so that is all time no comparison.  I love Papi but he hits on adverage the same as other slugger of his time.  Is he the most Clitch hitter of all time?  No doubt about it and Yes he galvanized the City of Boston last year when we needed it, he was  ralling cry for "This F'N City"  Give them all credit but you can't compare them to each other.

I agree.  It is a diservice to both greats to compare them.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

Now if you want to compare Diva's Ruth was a much bigger ham than Papi is!!!  Teddy had the personality of Bill from Section 806 Cry

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

It's like Bill Russell. In terms of talent and numbers, he was not the greatest Celtic. But he has 11 rings and was the ultimate team player.

David Ortiz has three rings and has been the face of the franchise during its best 10-year period since before World War I.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"not a chance TW hits .400 in this day and age."

Stated like it's a fact and not a heavily biased opinion. 

Baseball players aren't judged by rings the way basketball players and NFL QBs are, and rightly so - you can't carry a whole team to a title in baseball. 

That said, if Papi were to play a key role in winning a fourth world series, I might have to change my stance. 

What Papi has done is amazing and he's right there near the top. That said the PED stuff is going to dog him a bit...even with no hard evidence

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

This may be one of the most stupid debates I've ever seen.

Yastrzemski and Williams played before Wild Card teams.

Ortiz has had more postseason opportunities because of an expanded playoffs.

Those who think that Ted Williams "no way" hits .400 in this day and age....think again.

I think the man would flirt with .500 , if he plays DH, gets "scheduled days off" ( unheard of in his day) and has the video tape technology and training facilities. Add this to facing dozens of pitchers who should be in AAA but are "Major Leaguers" because of expansion and 5 man rotations, not to mention a glut of pitchers who spend too much time on the DL.

Again I give Ortiz credit for what he's done. But , not at the expense of superior all-around players who played in a time before baseball became so watered down and batter friendly.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ImagydSportsBos. Show ImagydSportsBos's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

This may be one of the most stupid debates I've ever seen.

Yastrzemski and Williams played before Wild Card teams.

Ortiz has had more postseason opportunities because of an expanded playoffs.

Those who think that Ted Williams "no way" hits .400 in this day and age....think again.

I think the man would flirt with .500 , if he plays DH, gets "scheduled days off" ( unheard of in his day) and has the video tape technology and training facilities. Add this to facing dozens of pitchers who should be in AAA but are "Major Leaguers" because of expansion and 5 man rotations, not to mention a glut of pitchers who spend too much time on the DL.

Again I give Ortiz credit for what he's done. But , not at the expense of superior all-around players who played in a time before baseball became so watered down and batter friendly.

uncomforyable truth warning: what if papi played without split finger pitches and in-shape pitchers AND... no other racial minorities.. seee, thats the part the old guard conveniently leave out. like in track and field or basketball, its hard to call anyone in that era the greatest anything when they never got toplay against the most demographically greatest. can i b the greatest lawyer, entrepeneur, accountant, or techie if i never had to compete a jewish or indian person? it is what it is! can i b the best soccer player if i never competed against brazilians or western euros? not teddy's fault, but it does diminish him while elevating papi!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Comparing Ted's service to his country to Papi's is insulting.....on the field Ted was simpy a better hitter by miles over a longer period and he played the field....Papi did get rings however but for anyone to say that there is a Sox player that is greater than Ted Williams is insane...and for the racial argument, Ted retired in the early sixties, long after Jackie R changed the game. 

I would def rather spend time with papi than grumpy ted but that doesnt make him less of a player....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Endspeed. Show Endspeed's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:

In response to Endspeed's comment:

Oops, you are correct sir. I was living outside the US in 2009 and missed the Yankees championship. I stand corrected. But the greatest player bar none considering pitching, hitting and championships with both the Red Sox and the Yankees was Babe Ruth.

When you say you were living outside the US and missed the Yankmees' championship, were you living on another planet?

A lot of people would say yes.  Where I was on the face of this Earth, most people had never even heard of baseball, as shocking as that may seem.  Some had never heard of the United States, so that is probably a good description, another planet.  I love sports but baseball is not really all that important in the scope of the human experience. But it is fun and debating the greatest always ends up the way this thread has.  For me, only two players I am familiar with are hands down the greatest.  One was Babe Ruth, the other was Bobby Orr.  Both guys literally changed their sport they were so magnificent. That is one measure of greatness that is hard to debate. The sport changed forever because they played. And last I heard, Babe Ruth was a significant member of the Red Sox.

Sections
Shortcuts