Jeter deserves to be in mid-summer classic

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jete02fann. Show Jete02fann's posts

Jeter deserves to be in mid-summer classic

What would America’s pastime be without stars and pinstripes.

Tuesday’s All-Star Game will feature six Yankees players, if the banged-up Alex Rodriguez decides to make the trip to Phoenix. A-Rod’s fellow infielder Derek Jeter is among the controversial choices for the game with a .258 average heading into yesterday’s play.

But the idea of fan favorites getting in based on popularity not performance doesn’t bother play-by-play man Joe Buck.

“I’m all for legendary guys getting to the ballgame,” said Buck, who will be calling his 13th All-Star Game. “Maybe I’m in the minority. I think back to the Cal Ripken game in Seattle with A-Rod coming out shoving him over (from third base) to shortstop ... I can’t think of anybody during my time who shined on the big stage, under the bright lights, bigger than Derek Jeter. I think it’s good to have some of those guys involved.”

Jeter and A-Rod will be joined by Robinson Cano, Curtis Granderson, Mariano Rivera and Russell Martin. But the half-dozen Yankees is not enough for Buck, who says pitchers CC Sabathia and David Robertson deserve a spot on the roster.

“I think both should be there,” Buck said. “There’s been nobody better than Robertson in the setup role. He’s kind of the one solid guy to get to Rivera; plus he’s a good guy.”

The festivities in the desert begin on Monday with the Home Run Derby, which is televised by ESPN. The format was changed this year and two captains were chosen for both the American League (Red Sox’s David Ortiz) and National League (Brewers’ Prince Fielder). The captains then chose three teammates. Ortiz reached across rivalry lines twice — first he was turned down by Yankees slugging first baseman Mark Teixeira then he successfully recruited Cano to the team.

Buck, surprisingly, thinks Cano will win the Derby despite having fewer home runs than everyone in the field with the exception of the Cardinals’ Matt Holliday, who has played in 63 games this year because of two stints on the disabled list.

“I watched Cano take batting practice at Citi Field (during the Subway Series),” Buck said. “His last round of batting practice was (Mark) McGwire-esque. He was hitting balls in the upper deck in right field that had everybody stopping and watching. He’s one of those guys who can do pretty much whatever he wants with the bat.”

The game, while mostly an exhibition for the players, is a challenge for the versatile Buck, who acknowledges that the All-Star Game requires even more preparation than a World Series because of the shuffling in and out of players on both sides and the dominance of the pitching.

“It’s a fun game to do,” Buck said. “It’s a hard game to do. Everybody has a story. You can’t get everybody’s story in. It’s more like doing a TV show than doing a game. You really want to have it loaded for each guy when they come up. You get one crack at them, and then they’re gone . . . you have to be flexible.”

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Re: Jeter deserves to be in mid-summer classic

only if selected as a reserve...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

alright, this is rediculous! what's next????????  jete02fannn, jete02fannnn????
    look out jetes, me thinks you got a groupie pal!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

It's always been a popularity contest anyway.

It's even worse now with online voting (up to 25 times!) Christ almighty, I could know absolutely nothing about baseball and vote 25 times just by clicking a mouse.

They might as well call the game "American Idol Baseball Classic" since they let a ton of idiots who know nothing about what makes a player great get votes,just like American Idol allows votes from idiots who know nothing about what makes good music.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Well, if Joe Buck says he should be in......

No, he doesn't deserve to be in the All Star game.  He deserves to be in the HOF, but this year's ASG - No.

Is he the best 3rd baseman in the AL, second best????

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Jeter deserves to be in mid-summer classic:
    [QUOTE]only if selected as a reserve...
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]
    How cute, Jete, you have a stalker now.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]It's always been a popularity contest anyway. It's even worse now with online voting (up to 25 times!) Christ almighty, I could know absolutely nothing about baseball and vote 25 times just by clicking a mouse. They might as well call the game "American Idol Baseball Classic" since they let a ton of idiots who know nothing about what makes a player great get votes,just like American Idol allows votes from idiots who know nothing about what makes good music.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

The fans are usually going to vote for their favorite players.  Not that I agree with it, but I can understand it.  They are fans, after all, and many of them probably don't even know who the SS for, say the Indians, is.

However, the manager and coaches voting for the GG awards is a whole other story....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Most NL fans do not know AL players. Most AL fans do not know NL players. So you get them voting for names they know or who they saw on ESPN/MLB Network highlights last night. Give the voting back to the players.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

yeah, what the hell, mr buck; why not put the whole damn yank-em team in the ASG.
    it would probably increase female viewership because most women have only heard of one team in baseball, and that's the yank-ems.
    i'm surprised swisher and gardner and colon and garcia weren't selected;
    probably ruined mr. buck's day.
    btw, does anyone know when joe buck is going to make mccarver an honest man?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]yeah, what the hell, mr buck; why not put the whole damn yank-em team in the ASG. it would probably increase female viewership because most women have only heard of one team in baseball, and that's the yank-ems. i'm surprised swisher and gardner and colon and garcia weren't selected; probably ruined mr. buck's day. btw, does anyone know when joe buck is going to make mccarver an honest man?
    Posted by the_yazzer[/QUOTE]

Did you forget Sabathia's not on the team? (He'd rather take the time off). Regardless, it's obviously a popularity contest. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jeter deserves to be in mid-summer classic : How cute, Jete, you have a stalker now.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE] well, cute's not the word i'd use...Sealed

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I noticed we now have a jesseyerica too.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I wasn't aware the All Star game was a place for lifetime achievements.

No, he doesn't belong, it's a joke. The All Star game is meant for those who have turned in star-worthy first halves. No, that's fine, put him in over the guy who may only put together one good season in his career, and leave that man off because Jeter deserves, yet another, undeserved honor.

Elvis Andrus or Yunel Escobar deserve the honor over Jeter without question. It's horrendous. I remember Varitek getting the nod a few years ago, in a weak catching group, and he publicly admitted he was embarrassed by it. That's how a stand up person should handle it.

And Joe Buck is the person speaking up for him!? Yeah, THAT helps make the point.

Horrible. What a joke all star games, in all sports, have become. Just circle the most reckognizable name and move on. Terrible, simply terrible.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

No matter; he pulled out.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

I wasn't aware the All Star game was a place for lifetime achievements.

No, he doesn't belong, it's a joke. The All Star game is meant for those who have turned in star-worthy first halves. No, that's fine, put him in over the guy who may only put together one good season in his career, and leave that man off because Jeter deserves, yet another, undeserved honor.

says who ?

sure you can have your opinion

but there's no right or wrong

personaly it bothers me when these guys have 1 great 1/2 and get voted in

that line of thinking certainly isn't fair to the slow starters

who might of had a great 2nd 1/2 last yr and the yrs B4 that

Elvis Andrus or Yunel Escobar deserve the honor over Jeter without question. It's horrendous

without question ?

I got a couple of questions

are we talking and allstar game or an allstats game

are you suggesting that jeters starpower

doesn't rate with those players

calling it an all star game leaves

no debate- he deserves it

calling it  an all stat (for the last 3 months)  game leaves

no debate - he doesn't

bottom line

there is no right and wrong

if the fans choose vote for who they want to see

lifetime achievers or some flash in a pan

so be it

nothing ''
    horrendous''  about it

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]No matter; he pulled out.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]Derek Jeter has bowed out of the All-Star Game.
    Jeter recently missed three weeks with a calf strain, so he'll skip the game for precautionary reasons. This would presumably open the door for the deserving Asdrubal Cabrera to make the start at shortstop. Related:

Source: Andrew Marchand on Twitter

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]It's always been a popularity contest anyway. It's even worse now with online voting (up to 25 times!) Christ almighty, I could know absolutely nothing about baseball and vote 25 times just by clicking a mouse. They might as well call the game "American Idol Baseball Classic" since they let a ton of idiots who know nothing about what makes a player great get votes,just like American Idol allows votes from idiots who know nothing about what makes good music.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

AllStar voting is not only a popularity contest, but another revenue stream onto itself.  That could be the real reason why it wouldn't be abandoned, just like American Idol wouldn't abandon those awful Wednesday night episodes where they just tease the audience with the vote, opening the show with the contestants singing nauseating medleys promoting Ford or some other behemoth corporate sponsor. 

As far as Jeter playing in the AllStar game, I really don't care.  But at this stage, he should probably pitchhit once and receive the perfunctory second standing ovation, tipping his batting helmet to the crowd after he grounds out weakly to short. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]I wasn't aware the All Star game was a place for lifetime achievements. No, he doesn't belong, it's a joke. The All Star game is meant for those who have turned in star-worthy first halves. No, that's fine, put him in over the guy who may only put together one good season in his career, and leave that man off because Jeter deserves, yet another, undeserved honor. says who ? sure you can have your opinion but there's no right or wrong personaly it bothers me when these guys have 1 great 1/2 and get voted in that line of thinking certainly isn't fair to the slow starters who might of had a great 2nd 1/2 last yr and the yrs B4 that Elvis Andrus or Yunel Escobar deserve the honor over Jeter without question. It's horrendous . without question ? I got a couple of questions are we talking and allstar game or an allstats game are you suggesting that jeters starpower doesn't rate with those players calling it an all star game leaves  no debate- he deserves it calling it  an all stat (for the last 3 months)   game leaves  no debate - he doesn't bottom line there is no right and wrong if the fans choose vote for who they want to see lifetime achievers or some flash in a pan   so be it nothing '' horrendous''  about it
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

Don't go interjecting your polite reasoning.

That's one take, and I see where you're coming from, but if that's the case, than you're blocking out any young stars who are just coming into their own. Should Carlos Lee get in for seasons past? Johan Santana? Joakim Soria as a closer? Where does it end, Jeter will get his lifetime achievement award when he's, rightly, elected into the HOF, I see no reason for, year to year, pat the same guys on the back whether or not they deserve it. it's the 2011 All Star game, Jeter has been anything but a Star in 2011.

But, he's bowed out, so maybe he did handle it like Varitek, if so, good for him (I read the injury stuff, I'd like to hear what HE has to say). Now let's see which one of my overlooked SS gets the nod.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from crix. Show crix's posts

At the time of election:

.260  2 HR 20 RBI

BS!
    Enough arrogant Yankee entitlement.  You don't deserve anything over anybody else unless you play better than they do.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

you're blocking out any young stars who are just coming into their own. Should Carlos Lee get in for seasons past? Johan Santana? Joakim Soria as a closer? Where does it end,

point taken dragon

even if you  did go  a tad 2 far
    2 make it ;-)

I see no reason for, year to year, pat the same guys on the back whether or not they deserve it

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree

I have had this grudge for yrs (1986)

ever since wally joiner came out of no where in his rookie yr,

with a great 1st 1/2 only, to steal the honor from reigning MVP donny

and us
    entittled nyyfans

the 2nd 1/2 of the season wasn't close

wally 1st 1/2          313     20     72
    donny's 1st 1/2          341    14     63

2nd 1/2

wally                       257    2      28

donnys                    365     17   50

IMO donny was the AS that yr

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Derek Jeter did not deserve to be in the All-Star game anyway.

If Derek got voted then we might as well have John Lackey voted in too.   

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]At the time of election: . 260  2 HR 20 RBI BS! Enough arrogant Yankee entitlement.  You don't deserve anything over anybody else unless you play better than they do.
    Posted by crix[/QUOTE]

While Jeter obviously didn't deserve the vote, I didn't mind seeing Wakefield making an AllStar team based more upon overall career achievement. 

Sections
Shortcuts