Jeter earns respect of Boston fans

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Re: Jeter earns respect of Boston fans

In Response to Re: Jeter earns respect of Boston fans:
    [QUOTE]If you substitute Mariano Rivera for Derek Jeter, I would give him all of the praise in the world.  Rivera is the greatest closer in the history of the game, and one of the greatest pitchers, and nothing you say about him is hyperbole. With Jeter, though, that's just not the case.  Jeter is a very very good player, but he's basically Robbie Alomar in pinstripes, but without the D.  He's never been the best SS defensively in the league, despite his GGs.  And he's rarely been the best offensive SS in the league.  His most convincing HOF numbers come as a result of the offense around him - he gets a lot of hits because he gets a lot of PAs.  He scores a lot runs because guys drive him in.  He has a lot of rings because he's been on very good teams. Is some of this bitterness toward a Yankee?  Maybe.  But I think it's more a distaste for seeing a player so constantly over-valued, or even celebrated for his deficiencies.  Take the 2004 foul ball incident - 29 shortstops in baseball make that play without hurting themselves, but because of the narrative, it winds up as the defensive play of the year. FWIW Robbie Alomar is a HOF, but not first ballot.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Melodramatic to say the least; while that play was happening, Nomar was sulking on the bench, so there's at least 1 guy who wouldn't have made it; He has a lifetime BA of 312 (317 before 2010), which  is better than Molitor (306), Mays (302), Aaron (305), Rose (303), Mantle (298), Brock (293), Ripken (276), Winfield (283), Murray (287), Yaz (285), Biggio (281), Palmiero (288), Henderson (279) and Kaline (.297). All but Mantle had 3k hits. Some of his plays are remarkable; the relay throw in the '99 PS vs the RS, the Flip play vs Oak, the somersault play in the '01 WS, and his PS stats, just for starters. Without him, the Yankees never would have won those 5 rings. And like it or not, he has those 5 GGs, as voted by players & coaches. And all done with class, dignity, and no hint of scandal. If he was a RS, I'm guessing you'd love him. See Shaughnessy's article up top. You fit the bill.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]I've been talking about the PA's for years now.........PA resulting from good offense around him and good offense around from a combination of the high payroll (directly correlated to playing in the largest media market since Genesis) and from the rampant use of steriods and PED's in da bronx........ RE:  "the catch" - remember, there was a better catch earlier in that game by the Red Sox SS...not Nomar.  Pokey.  But because he didn't cut himself no one remembers it.  Watch it again.  Also, jeter does not make that play if it's on the road - no way..........so, i am not impressed.....i will give him kudos though because he cared more about the ball than his body but was it a great catch?  come one, he caught it well within the playing field....he should have collided with the wall and not have run over it and into the stands....the way to do that would have been to try and go into a slide or, at least be sure your hip crashed into the wall.....it was his own fault for going over the wall......catch was already made..........anyways, Pokey's catch was better.........do not forget that.........I am sure all the yankee fans will be watching the July 1 game over and over again this October thinking about what may have been...
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

This is pure BS; every team had their share of PED users, and to stereotype it by team shows how ignorant and hostile you are. As far as PAs are concerned, take a look at Yaz, whose BA is 27 points less. (And was much higher at home)

While you're at it, chomp on this, and note BAs from others in the 3k Club:

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jeter earns respect of Boston fans : Melodramatic to say the least; while that play was happening, Nomar was sulking on the bench, so there's at least 1 guy who wouldn't have made it; He has a lifetime BA of 312 (317 before 2010), which  is better than Molitor (306), Mays (302), Aaron (305), Rose (303), Mantle (298), Brock (293), Ripken (276), Winfield (283), Murray (287), Yaz (285), Henderson (279) and a few others with 3k hits. Some of his plays are remarkable; the relay throw in the '99 PS vs the RS, the Flip play vs Oak, the somersault play in the '01 WS, and his PS stats, just for starters. Without him, the Yankees never would have won those 5 rings. And like it or not, he has those 5 GGs, as voted by players & coaches. And all done with class, dignity, and no hint of scandal. If he was a RS, I'm guessing you'd love him. See Shaughnessy's article up top. You fit the bill.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

Which part is melodramatic?  Because Pokey would have had that ball without getting hurt, and it was the SportsCenter web gem of the year.

Most of the guys on your list have credentials other than BA (power or base-stealing for the most part), but I think Molitor is a great comparison in terms of talent and career numbers.  And most people would be honored to be compared with Paul Molitor.  But there are HOFers and there are HOFers among HOFers - judging by the praise heaped on Jeter, you would think he would be on par with Joe Dimaggio - not Paul Molitor.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jeter earns respect of Boston fans : Which part is melodramatic?  Because Pokey would have had that ball without getting hurt, and it was the SportsCenter web gem of the year. Most of the guys on your list have credentials other than BA (power or base-stealing for the most part), but I think Molitor is a great comparison in terms of talent and career numbers.  And most people would be honored to be compared with Paul Molitor.  But there are HOFers and there are HOFers among HOFers - judging by the praise heaped on Jeter, you would think he would be on par with Joe Dimaggio - not Paul Molitor.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

No, Pokey's play was awesome; I was talking about the "29 other SS's " and other cracks. And stop kidding both of us, you only mentioned the Pokey facet 'cause I didn't rebut that particular point, then tried to globalize my "melodramatic" comment based on that. Also, Jeter was not a punch & judy hitter. However, as I've said before , he is NOT Ruth, Gehrig, TW, DiMag, and a bunch of others. However, he is still a great player; just not at that level. You would think from the whining here that he was a fraud. Perhaps you should watch the Boston Globe 10.0 video on this topic. Then I believe you'll see what I mean, and actually, I think Bob Ryan stated a bigger case for him than I did.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jeter earns respect of Boston fans : No, Pokey's play was awesome; I was talking about the "29 other SS's " and other cracks. And stop kidding both of us, you only mentioned the Pokey facet 'cause I didn't rebut that particular point, then tried to globalize my "melodramatic" comment based on that. Also, Jeter was not a punch & judy hitter. However, as I've said before , he is NOT Ruth, Gehrig, TW, DiMag, and a bunch of others. However, he is still a great player; just not at that level. You would think from the whining here that he was a fraud. Perhaps you should watch the Boston Globe 10.0 video on this topic. Then I believe you'll see what I mean, and actually, I think Bob Ryan stated a bigger case for him than I did.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

No, I was just pointing out that the '29 other SS' comment does not exclude the Sox SS, just because Nomar was in the dugout.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

I like Jeter a heck of a lot more then Reggie. Reggie was a great player but he was an egotistical jerk, like many ball players today and in the past. "I'm the straw that stirs the drink,only Munson can stir it bad" And the worst of all...."even I don't understand the magnitude of me."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Jeter is a very good player and he deserves his spot in the Hall of Fame. I don't dispute that in the least. He's poised, classy, and likeable. I can't say anything negative about him. I respect him tremendously. It's not his fault that some people try to place him in the same class as Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, and Mantle.

The Yankee I like and respect the most is Mariano Rivera. He exudes dignity. He personifies greatness. He's the antithesis of arrogant. He's indisputably the best player in the history of the game at his respective position.

I never cared much for Jorge Posada. He was a very good player and a probable Hall of Famer. There's just something about his character that never quite appealed to me. He can be a jerk on the field at times, and I felt that way well before his insubordination with Girardi.

I'd take Jeter and Rivera on the Red Sox in a nanosecond. I hope that when they play their final games at Fenway, Red Sox fans acknowledge their greatness with standing ovations.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

that's a 1st class post davidap

thanks

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jeter earns respect of Boston fans :   Outstanding post. Unfortunately, because of certain readers not appreciating your hospitable observations. your homemight be firebombed, your kids harrassed, and your life will never be the same after this.And when the junk yard dog (Kim) awakes, beware...
    Posted by prknsdnld[/QUOTE]

Another middle-aged Yankee fan spending all his time policing a Sox forum for any negative Yankee posts, and insulting posters posting on their own team board. And you said you used to be a teacher. Yikes.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE] I`m not into reading yours, or the "babe", or "Franks" cut and paste crap. I have no idea why you guys do it.If you want to pump up Jeter to anyone go to the Yankee board.  The real baseball fans here respect Jeter and have said so.Why do you guys constantly shove it down our throat.    If I want to read about your beloved Yanks,i`ll go the to a Yankee site.
    Posted by djbosox2004[/QUOTE]

I agree with this post. 

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think Jeter already had the respect of Sox fans..At least the ones who not only love their home team, but the game itself.
    He has the numbers and most importantly, at least to me, had no off field fiascos. He was a true role-model for young kids in my eyes. I would have no problem with my son wanting to play the game like jeter..No way in this lifetime he would ever wear pinstripes though..

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

[QUOTE]  Why not talk about a young and upcoming star like Jose Batista from the Toronto Blue Jays? 
    Posted by Ice-Cream[/QUOTE]

Because the only talk here will be accusing him of using steroids.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

[QUOTE] I would have no problem with my son wanting to play the game like jeter..No way in this lifetime he would ever wear pinstripes though..
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

Good point, but you probably won't have to worry about that.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jeter earns respect of Boston fans :   If you don't respect Jeter, don't suggest you had more respect for Reggie, who played 5 years in N.Y. And who's character was constantly in question. Andrew, are you under 40 years old?

You gotta love it when other posters question your personal beliefs.

Yes, I respected Reggie.  He earned my respect in the 1977 WS - I thought that was a very exciting feat even though I hate the yankees.  Also, that same year I was blown away by Guidry's 19K game.  That's why I respect those guys.

If you look at the 90's teams, it was really 1 guy - Rivera who carried them and was the difference but also I think Bernie was the best out of the so-called fab 5 (of the position players - jeter posada williams).  And perhaps the only guys on the team I have never had issues with.

Anyways, I think jeter is a great singles hitter for a SS and he takes control of the team when he is on the field but other than that, I do not respect him and I think he is incredibly over-rated.........

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]   Jeter is the sport equivelant of the lucky 'sperm' factor when being born. The man has had a great run because of who has played with. He has remained healthy and that enabled him to play enough games to reach 3000 hits. I still say that Jeter was never the player to put the Yanks over the top, and if you traded his career with other SS of his era, the Yankees wouldn't have skipped a beat. If rings are the reason for his supposed greatness then he isn't even the greatest Yankee SS because Rizzuto had more rings in a shorter career.
    Posted by attic-dan[/QUOTE]

Oh come on, now. What you're saying is much more true of Phil Rizzuto than it is about Jeter. He's been the backbone of the Yankee teams since the 90s. He conducts himself on and off the field as a gentleman...even with the scores of girlfriends he's had. I've never read anything negative about the guy.

Jeter has been a fiery competitor for years. All he wants to do is win. He's outlasted both Nomar and A-Rod at SS...and may be the best all-around SS of all-time...with his gaudy .312 lifetime batting average, and his lifetime .383 OBP. 

Unlike "The Scooter", who was voted into the Hall of Fame partially due to his popularity as the long-time Yankee broadcaster, Jeter is a first ballot Hall of Famer...and deservedly so. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jeter earns respect of Boston fans :      Oh come on, now. What you're saying is much more true of Phil Rizzuto than it is about Jeter. He's been the backbone of the Yankee teams since the 90s. He conducts himself on and off the field as a gentleman...even with the scores of girlfriends he's had. I've never read anything negative about the guy.      Jeter has been a fiery competitor for years. All he wants to do is win. He's outlasted both Nomar and A-Rod at SS...and may be the best all-around SS of all-time...with his gaudy .312 lifetime batting average, and his lifetime .383 OBP.       Unlike "The Scooter", who was voted into the Hall of Fame partially due to his popularity as the long-time Yankee broadcaster, Jeter is a first ballot Hall of Famer...and deservedly so. 
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Then how do you explain Reeses's HOF induction beforehand (when he did NOT get in)? Was that because he did Game of the Week in the early 60s? They were quite similar. Also, You do realize this Ted Williams quote, when the RS were good from '46-'51: The biggest reason the Yankees win and we don't is because of Rizzuto; (and this is when I believe the RS starting SS was Pesky!) 

Also, he was MVP in '50, and was the starting SS during the amazing 5 consecutive WS streak (I doubt that will ever be broken). To quote Casey Stengel (Who Rizzuto loathed and held a grudge, for when he tried out for the Dodgers as a youngster, Stengel, who was the MGR at the time said he should get a shoeshine box if he wants to make a living) "He's the greatest SS I ever saw".

The greatest SS IMO was Wagner; Jeter is commonly ranked as #5.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jeter earns respect of Boston fans :   ARFF ARFF !!  GRRRR....(RATTLE RATTLE....).. GRRRR...GRRRR.....ARFF ARFF.... And now you're ridiculing the middle aged? Because I was born during the Mantle era and not the Varitek era, young lady. like you? I have friends who make fun of older people, like it's something to be ashamed of, and I think it's sad. I, on the other hand, find older people interesting, telling me about life when they were young. ARFF ARRFF...GRRRR...GRRR.....ARRFF ARFF.....!!!

Your post above is a perfect example of what I mean. My comment was not about age, but age AND behaviour. Who talks like you do, and spends their time the way you do at your age?  Every post on this board from you is abusive, and then you cry when someone reacts to them. You need to grow up, and find a better way of spending your time.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PAULICAS1975. Show PAULICAS1975's posts

Come on people. Jeter is probably the only Yankee player i'll ever respect from that team, since ive been watching baseball since '86. It doesnt matter who he has played with or not. It was him that hit the ball, it was him that made those plays. It was him that did it by himself. Yes if he didnt have the rest of the players with him,maybe he wouldnt have one the rings or what not. But we still have to give him credit for what he has accomplished in his career. Red Sox fans (50%) are always against other player for what they have done. I love the Red Sox, but people for once applaud a baseball player not for who he plays for but for what he has done in his career.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.