Jeter Leads MLB in Ground Ball Percentage

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from chain-reaction. Show chain-reaction's posts

Re: Jeter Leads MLB in Ground Ball Percentage

Good solid factual post Mike.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChrisHouse. Show ChrisHouse's posts

Was that a typo - one extra base hit in 64 ABs? He may be retiring to that St. Jetersburgh mansion sooner than he thought. He should plant a mango tree there with a hammock below it and do what Pedro and Manny are doing now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

In my fantasy league, Jed Lowrie was just sitting there on the waiver wire, so I picked him up.  Got an offer less than 24 hours later for Jonny Gomes, straight up.  I am sticking with Jed, thank you very much.  I need a First Baseman though...

But I digress...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from silversteinsox. Show silversteinsox's posts

In Response to Re: Jeter Leads MLB in Ground Ball Percentage:
    [QUOTE]In my fantasy league, Jed Lowrie was just sitting there on the waiver wire, so I picked him up.  Got an offer less than 24 hours later for Jonny Gomes, straight up.  I am sticking with Jed, thank you very much.  I need a First Baseman though... But I digress...
    Posted by summerof67[/QUOTE]

The world's biggest retailer had been rumored to be considering dipping its toe into online grocery delivery for the past few years.

The "Walmart To Go" test allows customers to visit Walmart.com to order groceries and consumables found in a Walmart store and have them delivered to their homes, the spokesman said.

Products include fresh produce, meat and seafood, frozen, bakery, baby, over-the-counter pharmacy, household supplies and health and beauty items.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Mike - you have the right take on Jeter, especially as far as your sons are concerned.  It is good for you to be concerned for them, and no wrapped up in your own feelings of ambivalence.

Five years after his retirement, Jeter will be first-round HOF. Same for Mo.  That is something to be proud of, and gratifying to watch as a fan of both.

But it hurts to see someone stay past his prime and not get the message that he should leave the game.  Is Jeter at that point?  Too soon to tell, but he owes himself (and his fans) a graceful and dignified exit.  Meanwhile you have  a teachable moment for your sons on how to handle disappointment or even disillusionment with our heroes.  (Red Sox fans are more than familiar with these concepts, btw.) This can be especially true of the Yankees, a powerful and vastly successful franchise which has not experienced the depths of true despair since the late 60s.

Best of luck with your sons, too, in this dangerous and unforgiving world.

Here endeth the lesson.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

In Response to Jeter Leads MLB in Ground Ball Percentage:
    [QUOTE]I have been a Jeter fan since he arrived on the Yankee scene years ago. My sons have Jeter posters on the walls of their bedrooms and both have Jeter sweatshirts. We were even fortunate enough to get autographs from Derek in Florida two years ago. I am very worried at what has happened to his swing this year since everything he hits is in the infield and nothing is in the air to the outfield. I do hope that he comes out of this funk as my sons are getting more despondent every day. What I see from watching all of the games on YES is backed up by these alarming statistics. Derek Jeter leads MLB in ground ball percentage, ranks 188th in slugging percentage Aaron Gleeman Apr 22, 2011, 2:14 PM EDT 37 Comments www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&id=2076 " class="nameLink" /> Derek Jeter quickly ditching the “new swing” he worked on with hitting coach Kevin Long hasn’t helped his production, as the Yankees shortstop is batting just .219 with a .282 on-base percentage and .234 slugging percentage in 16 games. Jeter is still doing a fine job controlling the strike zone, drawing six walks compared to just five strikeouts, but he’s managed a grand total of one extra-base hit (a double against the Twins on April 7) in 64 at-bats. And there’s a simple explanation for Jeter’s lack of pop: He’s hitting everything on the ground. Jeter has never been a slugger and has always been a ground-ball hitter, but prior to this season he averaged 55 extra-base hits per 160 games for his career and his ground-ball rates have never been this extreme. Not only does he www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=2&season=2011&month=0&season1=2011&ind=0 "> lead MLB in ground-ball percentage at 72.9, second-place www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&id=4417 " class="nameLink"> Alcides Escobar of the Royals is at 68.5 percent and no one else in either league above 65.5 percent. Here are Jeter’s www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=826&position=SS "> ground-ball percentages for the past five seasons : YEAR GB% 2007 56.1 2008 58.3 2009 57.0 2010 65.7 2011 72.9 Not only is 72.9 percent ground balls by far a career-high for Jeter, last year’s mark of 65.7 percent is the only other time he’s topped 60 percent grounders. There are plenty of very successful hitters with high ground-ball rates, with Jeter and www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&id=3161 " class="nameLink"> Ichiro Suzuki being the leading examples, but there’s a big difference between hitting 55-60 percent ground balls and hitting 70 percent ground balls. His batting average is going to rise from .219, but if Jeter doesn’t start hitting the ball in the air he’s going to have a very hard time avoiding a sub-.400 slugging percentage for the second straight season after topping .400 in 15 consecutive years. In his 145 most recent games dating back to May of last season Jeter has hit .257 with six homers, 25 doubles, and a .336 slugging percentage. Skip to Comments (37) Email
    Posted by MikeyinQueens[/QUOTE]

Smiley--My bad "MikeyinQueens" (I'll play along for your benefit) I love how you went so far to make up that you have sons!  You're trolling is truly priceless!  The touch by adding a comment from "Chain-Reaction" was a little bit of overkill but you're still the #1 Troll in my book. Thank goodness the team Jeter plays on isn't under .500 or we'd really have something to worry about!

You're the best Smiley....my bad I forgot this is your role play time--MikeyinQueens. 
    Its just so hard to keep track of all your characters

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from glumandrew. Show glumandrew's posts

With so few balls hit to the outfield the opposition might want to employ a "Jeter Shift" where they bring in an outfielder to play in the infield.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from chain-reaction. Show chain-reaction's posts

[QUOTE]With so few balls hit to the outfield the opposition might want to employ a "Jeter Shift" where they bring in an outfielder to play in the infield.
    Posted by glumandrew[/QUOTE]

"Jeter Shift" ... LOL

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jeter Leads MLB in Ground Ball Percentage : "Jeter Shift" ... LOL
    Posted by chain-reaction[/QUOTE]

You know what is insane...CC makes more $ than Jete and is hitting .135  That has got to play on his psyche and MikeyinQueens as well.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from smiley-beni-2817. Show smiley-beni-2817's posts

In Response to Jeter Leads MLB in Ground Ball Percentage:
    [QUOTE]I have been a Jeter fan since he arrived on the Yankee scene years ago. My sons have Jeter posters on the walls of their bedrooms and both have Jeter sweatshirts. We were even fortunate enough to get autographs from Derek in Florida two years ago. I am very worried at what has happened to his swing this year since everything he hits is in the infield and nothing is in the air to the outfield. I do hope that he comes out of this funk as my sons are getting more despondent every day. What I see from watching all of the games on YES is backed up by these alarming statistics. Derek Jeter leads MLB in ground ball percentage, ranks 188th in slugging percentage Aaron Gleeman Apr 22, 2011, 2:14 PM EDT 37 Comments www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&id=2076 " class="nameLink" /> Derek Jeter quickly ditching the “new swing” he worked on with hitting coach Kevin Long hasn’t helped his production, as the Yankees shortstop is batting just .219 with a .282 on-base percentage and .234 slugging percentage in 16 games. Jeter is still doing a fine job controlling the strike zone, drawing six walks compared to just five strikeouts, but he’s managed a grand total of one extra-base hit (a double against the Twins on April 7) in 64 at-bats. And there’s a simple explanation for Jeter’s lack of pop: He’s hitting everything on the ground. Jeter has never been a slugger and has always been a ground-ball hitter, but prior to this season he averaged 55 extra-base hits per 160 games for his career and his ground-ball rates have never been this extreme. Not only does he www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=2&season=2011&month=0&season1=2011&ind=0 "> lead MLB in ground-ball percentage at 72.9, second-place www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&id=4417 " class="nameLink"> Alcides Escobar of the Royals is at 68.5 percent and no one else in either league above 65.5 percent. Here are Jeter’s www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=826&position=SS "> ground-ball percentages for the past five seasons : YEAR GB% 2007 56.1 2008 58.3 2009 57.0 2010 65.7 2011 72.9 Not only is 72.9 percent ground balls by far a career-high for Jeter, last year’s mark of 65.7 percent is the only other time he’s topped 60 percent grounders. There are plenty of very successful hitters with high ground-ball rates, with Jeter and www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&id=3161 " class="nameLink"> Ichiro Suzuki being the leading examples, but there’s a big difference between hitting 55-60 percent ground balls and hitting 70 percent ground balls. His batting average is going to rise from .219, but if Jeter doesn’t start hitting the ball in the air he’s going to have a very hard time avoiding a sub-.400 slugging percentage for the second straight season after topping .400 in 15 consecutive years. In his 145 most recent games dating back to May of last season Jeter has hit .257 with six homers, 25 doubles, and a .336 slugging percentage. Skip to Comments (37) Email
    Posted by MikeyinQueens[/QUOTE]

Hey, MikeyinQueens, keep up the good work.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

Absolutely....Kudos to SmileyinQueens.....way to troll!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamaicaPlain67. Show JamaicaPlain67's posts

I think that it is refreshing to see one of the many Yankee fans on the forum come here and start a thread about one of his team's problems. We have many Red Sox fans every day that harp on our defects and shortcomings. There are also many that come here with unknown agendas that bash our players daily. It is much more difficult being a Red Sox fan on this forum than being a Yankee fan so I can't really identify with the reactions or paranoia of Mikeyfromthebronx. He gets upset with two or three threads per day while we have to tolerate dozens.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

[QUOTE]I think that it is refreshing to see one of the many Yankee fans on the forum come here and start a thread about one of his team's problems. We have many Red Sox fans every day that harp on our defects and shortcomings. There are also many that come here with unknown agendas that bash our players daily. It is much more difficult being a Red Sox fan on this forum than being a Yankee fan so I can't really identify with the reactions or paranoia of Mikeyfromthebronx. He gets upset with two or three threads per day while we have to tolerate dozens.
    Posted by JamaicaPlain67[/QUOTE]
    Now I see where you're coming from.  The person who started this thread is not a Yankee fan nor are they located in Queens.

BTW Russell Martin is a BEAST!!

Wow Arod is a beast too but we knew that.

Sections
Shortcuts