Jeter practiced that crazy relay... or he didn't...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Jeter practiced that crazy relay... or he didn't...

Hahahaha.  Not that I would ever want to start s&*t with our esteemed Yankee colleagues on this board, or doubt the veracity of anything the great Derek Jeter would say about one of the greatest plays in post-season history, BUT ...

Just came across this interesting youtube tid-bit from Jete a couple years back that may or may not fly in the face of his, and Gary Tuck's, assertion that they Yankees actually practice that play on the regular.

Not sure.  I suppose the context could be that the play they 'practice' was already busted up by the overthrow, but ...

You be the judge

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Jeter practiced that crazy relay... or he didn't...

To be honest SpaceAce - I don't even care. It was 12 years ago. It is part of baseball history. Why try and jack it up or knock it down at this point. The end result was it turned a series around. If dopey Giambi had slid, this would not even have been a conversation. But he didn't and whether by design or instinct, Jeter made an excellent play and that's all she wrote.

I haven't made up my mind if Bobby V is a good fit for Boston, but he is a good fit for the rivalry. He does hate the Yanks very much.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

If Giambi slides he is in there, it was a very lucky play and sloppy baserunning and advice who should have told him to slide coming home.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Jeter practiced that crazy relay... or he didn't...:
    [QUOTE]To be honest SpaceAce - I don't even care. It was 12 years ago. It is part of baseball history. Why try and jack it up or knock it down at this point. The end result was it turned a series around. If dopey Giambi had slid, this would not even have been a conversation. But he didn't and whether by design or instinct, Jeter made an excellent play and that's all she wrote. I haven't made up my mind if Bobby V is a good fit for Boston, but he is a good fit for the rivalry. He does hate the Yanks very much.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

I am in total agreement Jessey.  It is ancient history and, anyway you slice it, a really cool play.  I am just feeling frisky today thanks to bobby V.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]If Giambi slides he is in there, it was a very lucky play and sloppy baserunning and advice who should have told him to slide coming home.
    Posted by AL34[/QUOTE] AL,on deck batter  Ramon Hernandez has said numerous times that he gave Giambi the slide sign, he(Jeremy) was either watching the ball or chose not to slide...Edit..i'm thinking he saw the overthrow and decided he could score upright...not that i know mind you...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from eddiewilson. Show eddiewilson's posts

i'm sure they don't practice that exact play but i'm sure they practice the situation when a ball is hit to right field with a runner on second and where does everyone go.  so they have jeter move to around the pitchers mound in case a loose ball comes in.  that wouldn't be hard to practice.  so the play happened, jeter was in position around the mound, saw the ball go down the first base line and had to run a little further to get to it and flipped the ball home.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Giambi is a dope for not sliding. This is post-season, I have seen the play many times, and a Little League coach would have chewed out any player who tried to go in standing up on this play.

Valentine is a dope for stirring up old news. I understand what he is trying to do, but it is bush league and will not work with veterans like Jeter and A-Rod.

It is dumb stuff like this that makes me think we will all be screaming for this guy to be fired before 4th of July. He is a sensationalist, which is a 180 degree change from what we've been used to....I frankly think this guy is the worst possible choice to manage this particular team.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]If Giambi slides he is in there, it was a very lucky play and sloppy baserunning and advice who should have told him to slide coming home.
    Posted by AL34[/QUOTE]

Yes, an element of luck was involved; just like it was lucky that Branca accidentally grooved a pitch to Bobby Thompson. However, here's guessing if this was a RS play, it would seem less lucky to you. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Giambi is a dope for not sliding. This is post-season, I have seen the play many times, and a Little League coach would have chewed out any player who tried to go in standing up on this play. Valentine is a dope for stirring up old news. I understand what he is trying to do, but it is bush league and will not work with veterans like Jeter and A-Rod. It is dumb stuff like this that makes me think we will all be screaming for this guy to be fired before 4th of July. He is a sensationalist, which is a 180 degree change from what we've been used to....I frankly think this guy is the worst possible choice to manage this particular team.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Perhaps, but I believe it was a marketing ploy; Bobby V is good for stoking the rivalry, hence the fans, and the RS coffers. As far as him always hating the Yankees, he was almost Yankee MGR once; George wanted to hire him in the worst way, but for some reason, it didn't materialize. Bobby admitted this during an interview a while back.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

gee wiz, do ya think that bobby's hatred for the yanks had anything to do with his managing days with the mutts?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]gee wiz, do ya think that bobby's hatred for the yanks had anything to do with his managing days with the mutts?
    Posted by Hammah29r2[/QUOTE] noooo, boy, are you swift...Tongue out

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jeter practiced that crazy relay... or he didn't... : IDK zill I thought he was just trying and succeeded at changing the topic I think his love for the camera is perfect for this spring / yr but yeah it will get old soon
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

It's old already.

I personnally like a manager that manages and lets the players be the stars and I have to say I always considered the Mets to be my National League team until they hired this jack@ss.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I wonder how the Yankees manage to luck themselves so often in key play-off series.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

[QUOTE]I wonder how the Yankees manage to luck themselves so often in key play-off series.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Endless supply of rabbit's  feet and 4-leaf clovers...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

I'm glad we figured that one out.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

If he practiced it and found a use for it, good for him.

But can ESPN PLEASE stop showing that ridiculously overblown foul pop catch where he takes like 4 steps and dives into the stands.  Anyone who catches a ball, runs that far, and then jumps in the stands, had better be a wide receiver for the Green Bay Packers. 

That was no Web Gem; it was a Lambeau Leap...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]If he practiced it and found a use for it, good for him. But can ESPN PLEASE stop showing that ridiculously overblown foul pop catch where he takes like 4 steps and dives into the stands.  Anyone who catches a ball, runs that far, and then jumps in the stands, had better be a wide receiver for the Green Bay Packers.  That was no Web Gem; it was a Lambeau Leap...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

Actually, he got b-nged up on that play, making him a non-factor in the 2001 WS. Here's guessing he didn't want to do that if he had a choice; but given his limited range (even then), he didn't. A Lambeau leap is intentional.